Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The (79512 Views)

Premier League Could Resume But Played Behind Closed Doors / The Teams That Have Never Played At The AFCON / The 14 Countries Who Have Won The AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by seniorkachion(m): 7:35pm On Nov 20, 2022
Only six.
Zaire not among the seven.
Only the name of the country was changed back to it's name at independence.
It was Mobutu that changed the country's name to Zaire.
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by HELLASJ(m): 7:45pm On Nov 20, 2022
Which one the safe wer I fit migrate to, all these names no concern me. cool
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by AlphaTaikun: 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2022
yamunla:
West Germany

West Germany - in a gorgeous kit it must be said here - were a dominant force in international football
By far the most successful country at the World Cup to no longer exist, West Germany won the tournament three times (1954, 1974 and 1990) and had star players such as Gerd Muller, Franz Beckenbauer and Lothar Matthaus. They never missed qualification and were commonly regarded as one of the powerhouses of football throughout their history.

Muller scored a record 14 times at the World Cup before Miroslav Klose broke that total while Matthaus won 150 caps for his country, playing in five World Cups and nine major international tournaments.

After the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1990, West Germany were no more - ending their existence as world champions while all records have since been passed over to the German national team.
I remember vividly the fall of the iconic Berlin Wall in 1990... I even had a small piece of that wall as a memorabilia after the fall. Just like yesterday... Nostalgic events.

West German footballers played very fluid football back in the day. The true "German machines."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by wakeupgian(m): 8:12pm On Nov 20, 2022
Serbia and Montenegro
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by BreconHills(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2022
yamunla:
Zaire

Zaire might not have had a great World Cup in 1974 but they did give us this iconic moment
Once a one-party totalitarian military dictatorship, Zaire might have only technically existed from 1971 to 1997, they still managed to qualify for one World Cup in 1974. However, they did lose all three matches including a 9-0 thrashing at the hands of Yugoslavia.

There was one flashpoint, though, when Mwepu Ilunga hilariously booted away Brazil's free-kick when he ran out of the wall. Zaire have since dissolved and is now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I remember this. It was hilarious � And what about the faulty throw ins and complete ignorance of the off side rule.
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by TheSameGuy(m): 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2022
Biafra is mere imagination. It died long ago with the imaginants
Septagon:
Is Biafra among?

Hadley Chase available
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Bigchristo: 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2022
yamunla:
Seven countries who no longer exist but played at the World Cup - including the Soviets

The Qatar World Cup is set to get underway this winter where Brazil are the favourites as France look to defend their crown that they won in Russia four years ago - but who won't be there?

YUGOSLAVIA So all these countries are under Soviet Union Control and now they pledged allegiance to NATO

Yugoslavia no longer exist but were a footballing powerhouse
As the planet's nations descend onto to Qatar ahead of the World Cup this winter, it might be time to look back at old tournaments where history enshrines some countries that do not even exist anymore.

Some countries such as the Soviet Union and Zaire have took part in the World Cup - but never will again after dissolving as nations. Some were even very successful, winning the competition before disappearing into the history books.

So, who are these mysterious nations that no longer exist but have turned up to the World Cup over the years?
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Thazard(m): 9:09pm On Nov 20, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Nice one, OP.
Reminds me of Bora, our France 1998 Coach...
He was from Yugoslavia!...
Our Area Boys used to call it 'You go Suffer'.
smiley
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Elidrisy20: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2022
Biafras playing with Nigerian jerseys

1 Like

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by EmmaLege: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2022
grin grin grin
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Chemlite: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2022
Thanks Op, but what happened to East Germany? Just tell us....
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 20, 2022
NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by SugarGirl44(f): 9:38pm On Nov 20, 2022
Soon Nigeria will join the list by God’s grace.
Yoruba will be on its own, every other ethnicity should find their level too.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Freeko4: 9:53pm On Nov 20, 2022
Ok
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Stanleyq: 11:11pm On Nov 20, 2022
Septagon:
Is Biafra among?

Hadley Chase available
U will soon stop hearing about Nigeria
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by dont8(m): 11:26pm On Nov 20, 2022
Richy4:

My brother, have you seen Serbia play before?.. they are really a joy to behold... They are even 21st in FIFA ranking..
Macedonia is not that bad as well cool
Yeah, I have seen Serbia played but not in the class of Croatia. I don't rate them highly, to me they're an average team, tbh.
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by dont8(m): 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2022
Chemlite:
Thanks Op, but what happened to East Germany?
Just tell us....
East Germany later merged with West Germany after resolving their differences
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Luckysbab: 11:39pm On Nov 20, 2022
Stanweezy:
Breakdown of nations can never happen in Africa

Their own marriage na force even if I dey insult and oppress u are not going anywhere we must stay together

Heard of Sudan and South Sudan?
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by BigIyanga: 2:15am On Nov 21, 2022
Emeka71:
I watched Yugoslavia play in in France 98.
Laya.. na for dream u watch them?
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by papiwyte(m): 2:29am On Nov 21, 2022
Biafra grin grin angry grin grin grin grin

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by rapthugx(m): 7:22am On Nov 21, 2022
Zaire did not dissolve they simply changed their name.
Just wondering who would have taken East Germany's record if they had won the world cup. You can't have One country taking over 2 countries' record na. grin
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Emperormartin(m): 8:13am On Nov 21, 2022
BigIyanga:

Yugoslavia played in France 98... They exited the tournament in 2nd round.

That was the last time they qualified as Yugoslavia....

In 2006 they metamorphosed as Serbia and Montenegro and exited at group stage

Now the former Yugoslavia republic has been balkanized as Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, north Macedonia, Slovenia, Kosovo and Bosnia and Herzegovina
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by phemmyfour: 8:22am On Nov 21, 2022
wiseone28:
Op where is Serbia and Montenegro when they were one country?
S n M broke out of Yugoslavia
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by dchamp234(m): 8:40am On Nov 21, 2022
Your analysis isn't complete, if you're giving us the name of countries those days, tell us the names they are known for at the moment, so we too can learn. Apart from chezch and slovania, and the Soviet union, you didn't mention the rest..

1 Like

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by BigIyanga: 9:22am On Nov 21, 2022
Emperormartin:

Yugoslavia played in France 98... They exited the tournament in group stage.

That was the last time they qualified as Yugoslavia....

In 2006 they metamorphosed as Serbia and Montenegro and also exited at group stage

Now the former Yugoslavia republic has been balkanized as Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, north Macedonia, Slovenia, Kosovo and Bosnia and Herzegovina
Stopped doubling down on idiocy. It stopped existing in 1992. No Yugoslavia played in France 98.. the fact you got folks liking your post is the reason why fake news thrive.
Davor Šuker Played for Yugoslavia till 1991 … and Played for Croatia in France 98.. Google is ur bestfriend
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Emperormartin(m): 9:51am On Nov 21, 2022
BigIyanga:

Stopped doubling down on idiocy. It stopped existing in 1992. No Yugoslavia played in France 98.. the fact you got folks liking your post is the reason why fake news thrive.
Davor Šuker Played for Yugoslavia till 1991 … and Played for Croatia in France 98.. Google is ur bestfriend

"1998 FIFA World Cup Group F - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_F

You should at first checked what I said whether it's true than downsizing yourself calling me idiot...

Now check the link above and see who's the real idiot...

FYI I study history in all ramifications and I watched them play in France 98. I have taken keen interest in studying the Balkan peninsula over the years...

So stop making yourself stupid in public domain. Always verify before you spew thrash. That makes you a man... You're growing up comrade.

I'm not use to using foul words on a person; it's not in my nature but if I have used any on you SORRY

Modified: They actually qualified to round of 16 and were knocked out by the Netherlands
Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by icankel: 10:04am On Nov 21, 2022
One day Biafra will play in the World cup.

1 Like

Re: Seven Countries Who No Longer Exist But Played At The World Cup - Including The by Emeka71(m): 3:17pm On Nov 22, 2022
BigIyanga:

They played.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angry Cristiano Ronaldo Removes Silver Medal After Juve Lost Super Cup (Photos) / Obafemi Martins New House In Lagos (Photos Of The Mansion) / Francisca Ordega: I Made Benue Proud For 10 Years But Not Honoured Like Kiddwaya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.