Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? (9523 Views)

Poll: Which of the People in the opening post is a "tither"?

Only Mr A: 40% (22 votes)
Only Mr B: 0% (0 votes)
Only Mrs C: 11% (6 votes)
Only Mr A and Mr B: 0% (0 votes)
Only Mr A and Mrs C: 1% (1 vote)
Only Mr B and Mrs C: 5% (3 votes)
All of the Three: 16% (9 votes)
None of the Three : 24% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Five (5) Reasons You Should Be A Tither / Please Vote: Who Is The Anti-christ Here? / Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 12:10pm On Aug 25, 2011
Here are examples of three Christian givers. (I am using just three examples but people can figure out that there are myriad permutations)

1. Mr A earns 1000 a month; unfailingly he gives 100 a month as "tithe" in/to "church"; he gives 50 a month as offering; he then gives up to 20 to other needy causes outside "church".

2. Mr B earns 1000 a month; he gives anything up to 90 in/to church every month, he then gives 110 to other needy causes outside the "church".

3. Mrs C is a seller of "provisions"; any time that she is going to buy stock, she buys 10% extra (e.g. instead of buying 100 cans of milk, she buys 110); she regularly takes the extra 10% to her local orphanage; she then gives about 5% of her net profits in/to "church".

NB Please feel free to vote entirely anonymously without giving any explanation or reason for your post vote. However, I really would be happy to see any reason given for voting in any way at all. Thanks.   smiley

PS An earlier version of this poll has been discontinued for incompleteness. It was here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-744174.0.html
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by aletheia(m): 12:21pm On Aug 25, 2011
But you are "showing" your hand. Last option should have just read: "None of the Three" without the added "explanation" of "because. . ." That biases the poll.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 12:41pm On Aug 25, 2011
Seems I just can't win!  smiley

Moderator, please modify the last option to read simply --- "None of the Three".

Thanks  smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2011
@ aletheia

In the event that the last option is not modified ---- and particularly because there have already been a couple of votes: please note that any (wholly unintended) bias in the wording of the last option is adequately offset by the description of Mr A's scenario in the opening post, which specifically uses the word "tithe" in relation to his giving.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by rezzy: 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2011
According to the bible, tithe is one-tenth of your income. So anything below that means you are robbing God according to the book of Malachi. Though, my belief, whether you are a tither or not, God will bless whom he will bless.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by PastorKun(m): 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2011
@OP
It depends on what you define as 'tithes'. But if you are referring to tithes as it is instructed in the bible, none of them is tithing. Biblical tithes is clearly articulated in deut 14:22-29 and none of the options above bears any semblance to the biblical version.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by JeSoul(f): 3:10pm On Aug 25, 2011
Enigma, I can't modify your poll. & I don't personally think the 'added explanation' takes away  smiley

I agree with Kunle. It depends on your definition of tithe. If its the modern day definition of strictly 10%, then Mr A. If going by strictly the biblical definition, then none of the above.

Not to take anything away from Mr A & B . . . I personally fancy Mrs C style of giving to the others for 2 reasons: 1 she thinks enough about a specific need - and then meets it, rather than merely giving money. 2 And also because most of her giving is generally done outside of the 'church'.

Personally, I've never been good at 'systematic' percentage giving - even when I was 'tithing'. I'm more of a free, spontaneous spirit, as it touches my heart I like to give without the 'contraints' of a particular % - so sometimes its small, other times its not - bottomline is it comes from my heart - which I believe is what makes it generous in the sight of God. Leave $50 on his table where he will find it later & not know it came from you, take this friend out who's been having a tough stretch to a great dinner and cheer her up, buy some blankets & socks and hand them out during the cold on the street corner & spend a little time talking to (not necessarily 'preaching' to) strangers, mummy needs a new blender I will bring one next time, a friend needs cash for school tuition - give her all the money I intended to use in fixing my car since the repair is not that critical, buy some extra plantains at the store and save some for Joyce since I know she loves them, invite your friends & fellow believers over for dinner often and share in true communion etc etc

I believe the whole point of giving - especially in our context - is seeing a need - and then using whatever God has given you to try to meet that need - rather than a routine of handing out an envelope at church - not that there's anything wrong with that oh, we should still definitely support our local church. I simply believe the former is a much more dynamic way of giving and taking care of each other and it involves your heart on a much more intimate level.

^Just my own 2centies  smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
Thanks a lot Jesoul, one modification has been mad lol made i.e. to the last option; I hope also Mukina sees my request and helps to modify option 3 to read "Mr[i]s[/i]" C.

PS thanks also for your explanation --- obviously you've got my gist of "there are myriad permutations".  smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by JeSoul(f): 3:25pm On Aug 25, 2011
Enigma:

Thanks a lot Jesoul, one modification has been mad lol made i.e. to the last option; I hope also Mukina sees my request and helps to modify option 3 to read "Mr[i]s[/i]" C.
  She be Super Mukina, she has super powers I cannot even begin to touch  grin I'm sure she'll modify in a second.

PS thanks also for your explanation --- obviously you've got my gist of "there are myriad permutations".  smiley
Myriad indeed my in-law! lol. I've been following the other tithing thread and this post of yours really sumed it up:
All this rigmarole really would be unnecessary if Christians and especially the preachers/teachers/"pastors" would really and truly follow or teach according to the simple New Testament message of 2 Corinthians 9:7 interpreted in accordance with Jesus' teaching and emphasis on helping the needy, Paul's stressing of helping poor Christians and general consensus of supporting churches' reasonable* financial costs
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
Thanks again; the likkle un says mwah!

Mukina dey super efficient for me today ----- e be like say I use superior and better native soap. smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 5:33pm On Aug 25, 2011
According to the bible, tithe is one-tenth of your income.

Not in my Bible. Give me scripture where the tithe was ever a tenth of anyone's income.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Zikkyy(m): 10:19am On Aug 26, 2011
rezzy:

According to the bible, tithe is one-tenth of your income

You have not been reading your bible smiley

@Enigma, this your exam tough oh grin this one pass ordinary voting grin i go need extra time and paper grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 10:37am On Aug 26, 2011
;d ;d
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Zikkyy(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2011
I'll need clarification b4 i can take this exam participate in the poll grin what tithe are you referring to here? is it the biblical practice or pastoral tithe

Edit: If you refer to:

1. biblical practice: i'll go for Mrs C
2. pastoral tithe: i'll go for Mr A
3. personal definition: then it can be 'all of the above', 'some of the above', 'any of the above' or 'none of the above' grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2011
@ zikky

Na him be say you want put me for quandary be that! If you no the trouble when I go through before this final version of the poll, ehn? Make you start by going through the link on the last line of the opening post and come back come read here!  grin

Seriously, I'll leave each voter to vote in the poll according to what they understand by "tithe", "tithes", "tithing", "tither".

Also, I use this opportunity to point out that there is no issue of winning and/or losing in this poll at all. The underlying purpose of the poll is that I expect that when people have to make significant/important/critical choices, they tend to think carefully. In all honesty, that is all I want from the poll.  smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Zikkyy(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^^^ abeg see the small modification to my post. i need answers, i am not ready to waste my vote oh grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Enigma(m): 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2011
You sha wan finish me! Abeg, carry go jọ!  grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by rezzy: 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2011
Zikkyy:

You have not been reading your bible smiley

I read my bible. Read lev 27: 30-32.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by Zikkyy(m): 4:55pm On Aug 26, 2011
rezzy:

looks like you 've done some quick reading ehn grin but lev 27:30-32 will not help you smiley

lets even ignore the income bit for now, lev 27:30-32 does not even define tithe as a tenth smiley you don't understand let me explain grin

1. lev 27:31 says you can buy back your tithe of agricultural products by paying cash abi? it also says paying cash will result to the 'tither' adding an additional 2%. You know what that means smiley cash paying 'tithers' don't pay 10%, THEY PAY 12% smiley
2. according to lev 27:32 cattle famers are required to tithe the tenth animal that passes under the herdsman's staff smiley if you start with 4 animal at the begining of the year and end with 9, you are not eligible to tithe smiley

so you see, according to the bible (lev 27:30-32) tithe range from zero(0%) to 12%, it is not a tenth grin you need to do more reading smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2011

VERY CLEAR. The tithe is on crops and animals which happen to be assets, not income.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 6:26pm On Aug 26, 2011
garyarnold:

VERY CLEAR. The tithe is on crops and animals which happen to be assets, not income.

Please stop this nonsense! There's no way you can dribble the word "asset" into ANY VERSE of the KJV! Period. You've been peddling that grub for eons and it's just about time you retired it.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 6:30pm On Aug 26, 2011
Zikkyy:

lets even ignore the income bit for now, lev 27:30-32 does not even define tithe as a tenth smiley

Leviticus 27:30-32 actually defines tithe as a tenth - it is the same basic definition that word carries all through Scripture. smiley

cash paying 'tithers' don't pay 10%, THEY PAY 12%

And so, shall we conclude that 12% defines the word 'tithe' for you?
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 6:32pm On Aug 26, 2011
@wordtalk,

The word human does not appear in the KJV of the Bible.  Does that mean that Jesus was not on this earth in human form?  Was Abraham human?

The word assets is a description of the items tithed.  Just like the word income describes what you get when you work for wages.  They are descriptive words.

I use the word ASSETS to DESCRIBE what the crops and animals were.  They were NOT income.  They were assets.  Plain and simple.  Not complicated except for those who wear blinders.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 6:34pm On Aug 26, 2011
@wordtalk,

Please stop this nonsense! There's no way you can dribble the word "income" into ANY VERSE of the KJV! Period. You've been peddling that grub for eons and it's just about time you retired it.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 6:39pm On Aug 26, 2011
@wordtalk,

The word MONEY does appear in the KJV, many times.  Yet the ONLY times it is used in reference to the tithe is for REDEEMING the tithe and for selling the tithe for money and taking the money and then buy back the food with that money.  With all the times money is mentioned in the KJV, it is NEVER mentioned AS the tithe.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 6:59pm On Aug 26, 2011
@wordtalk,

The word wage(s) is used 17 times in the KJV, but NEVER used in reference to the tithe.

I find the word GAIN used with MONEY (or gold, silver) several times in the KJV, but NEVER is GAIN used with the tithe.

Judges 5:19 (KJV)
19The kings came and fought, then fought the kings of Canaan in Taanach by the waters of Megiddo; they took no gain of money.

Matthew 25:20 (KJV)
20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

There are many more examples. Tithing was never on income or GAIN.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 7:02pm On Aug 26, 2011
garyarnold:

@wordtalk,

The word human does not appear in the KJV of the Bible.  Does that mean that Jesus was not on this earth in human form?  Was Abraham human?

Certainly, you've done some check and I'm happy about that. smiley Although the KJV appears not to have used the word 'human', it does appear in other English versions of the Bible, doesn't it? For instance, the GoodNews Bible (GNB), Literal Translation of the Bible (LITV), God's WORD version (GW), Young's Literal Translation (YLT), English Standard Version (ESV) and the New International Version (NIV) all have the word 'human'. in various verses.

The (GNB) says in Genesis 1:26 - "Then God said, "And now we will make human beings"; as well in 1 John 4:2 you find these words: "Jesus Christ came as a human being" (GNB). There are also "human nature" (Rom. 8:4), "human voices" (Rev. 18:22), "human origin" (Acts 5:38), "human approval" (John 12:43) etc. all in those versions.

HOWEVER, while some of those versions actually use the word INCOME in various places, NONE OF THOSE CITED VERSIONS CARRY THE WORD 'ASSET'! Your beloved KJV would no doubt have used the same "asset" you've been bandying around if you have any substance to your arguments.

The word assets is a description of the items tithed.  Just like the word income describes what you get when you work for wages.  They are descriptive words.

Sorry, the word "asset" is too broad a term to be used as descriptive for their tithes UNLESS you're begging us to allow you cheat along these lines. Is that not why neither your KJV nor any of those cited versions use the word "asset"? Besides, if INCOME does not serve the same purpose because you're having nightmares of tithes from money, then it might interest you to know that the word "asset" from its etymology involves and includes MONEY. Don't even try to cheat further by dribbling in some "man-made-definition" here to deny the fact.

I use the word ASSETS to DESCRIBE what the crops and animals were.  They were NOT income.

Sorry sir, but your use of those words are in the category of the "man-made definitions" you decry in other people's dicta! bring a Biblical definition - point out the verse, let us check the word for ourselves in the original languages and see where you find the word "asset". It just doesn't exist in what you're trying to dribble in there.

I am willing to allow you the use of that word IF you can also learn to allow people the use of the more appropriate term INCOME. I could even help you contextualize the word ASSET to make very good meaning for your argument - trust me. But you just want to overwhelm readers with the fallacy of your own narrow definitions and descriptions in order to prevent them fro using a more appropriate Biblical term

They were assets.  Plain and simple.  Not complicated except for those who wear blinders.

They were not assets - otherwise you would have found the verse in your KJV that uses that word expressly!  smiley
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 7:05pm On Aug 26, 2011
They were not assets - otherwise you would have found the verse in your KJV that uses that word expressly!

Then Abraham was not human - otherwise you would have found a verse in the KJV that uses that word expressly!
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2011
garyarnold:

Please stop this nonsense! There's no way you can dribble the word "income" into ANY VERSE of the KJV! Period. You've been peddling that grub for eons and it's just about time you retired it.

Lol, when you run out of gas, you steal words from me to bandage your career of anti-tithing arguments.  grin
Dude, I have shown what Hebrew word conveys several meanings INCLUDING the word INCOME - see it here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-739830.0.html#msg8970086  

I've asked you 3 simple questions about INCOME and ASSET - you NEVER once were able to answer or try. I don't want to be responsible for an ambulance call for you, so I won't repeat them here. Anytime you get off your high horse, just peep over here.

garyarnold:

The word MONEY does appear in the KJV, many times.  Yet the ONLY times it is used in reference to the tithe is for REDEEMING the tithe and for selling the tithe for money and taking the money and then buy back the food with that money.  With all the times money is mentioned in the KJV, it is NEVER mentioned AS the tithe.

Did I argue anywhere that money was never used in reference to tithe? What is this desperate lecture you're attempting now? Please pass over or keel. grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by garyarnold(m): 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2011
Sorry, the word "asset" is too broad a term to be used as descriptive for their tithes UNLESS you're begging us to allow you cheat along these lines. Is that not why neither your KJV nor any of those cited versions use the word "asset"? Besides, if INCOME does not serve the same purpose because you're having nightmares of tithes from money, then it might interest you to know that the word "asset" from its etymology involves and includes MONEY. Don't even try to cheat further by dribbling in some "man-made-definition" here to deny the fact.

I don't think you even have a clue as to what I am saying or you wouldn't have answered with the above.  Of course money is an asset.  Did I say that ALL assets were tithable?  I merely said that crops and animals ARE assets, BY DEFINITION.  If you don't agree, you need to take another accounting class.
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2011
garyarnold:

They were not assets - otherwise you would have found the verse in your KJV that uses that word expressly!

Then Abraham was not human - otherwise you would have found a verse in the KJV that uses that word expressly!

Is the KJV the ONLY English version that Christians read? grin

Dude, I'm not fastidious about these matters, so you can't hang me on the KJV. Consult other versions where you will find both HUMAN and INCOME.

Now please sir, where in any of those versions do you find ASSET? grin
Re: Please Vote - Who Is A Tither? by wordtalk(m): 7:17pm On Aug 26, 2011
garyarnold:

I don't think you even have a clue as to what I am saying or you wouldn't have answered with the above.  Of course money is an asset.  Did I say that ALL assets were tithable?  I merely said that crops and animals ARE assets, BY DEFINITION.  If you don't agree, you need to take another accounting class.

Dunce! What did you read in my rejoinder? Did the word ETYMOLOGY escape you? The crops and animals were NOT assets - unless you are begging to cheat by using dribbling all this under a contemporary usage (aka, your "man-made-definition"wink. Cheat again! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Are Christians in Conflict or Does the Bible Contradict Itself? / Can Death-bed Repentance Lead A PersonTo Heaven? Many People Are Banking On This / Why Do You Really Go To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.