Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Info About Amsterdam - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Info About Amsterdam (2560 Views)

Two Ghanaians Arrested In Amsterdam For Pounding Fufu In Their Flat On 7th Floor / In Amsterdam For A Few Days / Long Weekend Break: Amsterdam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Info About Amsterdam by kiwibabe(f): 4:42pm On Feb 27, 2006
As part of my cultural experience I am about to do a student exchange at HES Amsterdam, but I don't know anthing about Amsterdam, or even Netherlands.
Has anyone ever been there?
What is the place like?
Has anyone ever studied at any of their Universities?
What are the teaching standards like?
What about the living conditions and costs?
What about the social life?
And more to the point is there many Nigerians there

Any feedback would be really appreciated.
Re: Info About Amsterdam by Kokscity(m): 8:19pm On Feb 27, 2006
@Kiwibabe

I went for a week in 2003. I only hung around the red light area for "Sight seeing". That is all i know about amsterdam. It was "a working vacation"Oh i visited the amsterdam zoo too.
Re: Info About Amsterdam by Ace(m): 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2006
I've lived here in Amsterdam for 9 years. I'm in med school here. I'll try to answer your questions.

Has anyone ever been there?

see above

What is the place like

Amsterdam is a typical western European city. Its not as big as London but there are comparisons. I spent last summer in London and I can tell you, I prefer London to Amsterdam anyday. There are lots of bicycles in Amsterdam! One of the popular ways to get around. Also trams, buses and trains. Most people speak english, but without dutch, you will never really progress career wise (my experience).

Has anyone ever studied at any of their Universities?

I study in the university at amsterdam, there are about 9 uni's spread across the country. The universities are DRY. Its very dutch oriented. I miss the international feel of uni's in england. Most important degrees are in dutch (medicine, law economics). But the HES does offer english tuition.

What are the teaching standards like?

World standard. I can say for the medical degree that my university publishes in every international medical journal u can think of. The only thing I would say is that curriculum and teaching methods and infact the entire makeup of their eductaional system is so different from nigeria that most nigerians find it hard here. We prefer England or the US.

What about the living conditions and costs?

Conditions, better than the UK, standard of living high (if you are professional and making a good living). Costs are much lower than the UK.

What about the social life?

Not really my cup of tea. I prefer the social life in Naija or England.

And more to the point is there many Nigerians there

Well, there are a LOT of Nigerians especially in the big cities, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht and The Hague. In the south east of amsterdam there is even a nigerian nightclub and you can get all the naija food in most shops. However, we all know that ''Nigerian'' is a very loose term. In reality you have Igbos, Yorubas, and Urhobos and from my experience they don't interact with each other. If you are Igbo you might feel at home cause there are a lot of Igbos here. Another thing I have noticed is the absolute lack of educated nigerians in holland. There are a few, but really as a nigerian studying medicine here I have yet to come across other nigerians who study, work professional jobs, etc. Most of them are into 419 or 'business'. This sounds harsh but its the plain truth.

Hope this gives u a clearer picture of holland. Feel free to mail me if you need help or more info while you're here
Re: Info About Amsterdam by Badman888(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2006
Amsterdam is a nice tiny city, but drugs and prostitution are legal got a red light district, alot of sight seeing its just what you are intrested in.
Re: Info About Amsterdam by Free(f): 9:35pm On Mar 22, 2006
yea i heard about amsterdam
drug freee, i should visit there grin cheesy am just joking
Re: Info About Amsterdam by justyn3x(m): 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2006
Hi Ace,

U seem to be well travelled and have some knowledge about europe.Well, i am processing my immigration to Australia and clearly i read that u reside in Amsterdam.But l am hoping that somehow you could give me some insight on Australia and any friends that might be useful in comforting my troubled and anxious soul.Wont mind reading from you ighorue_jp@yahoo.com

Holla back pls!

(1) (Reply)

Please Help, I Need Go Back To Nigeria. / How Is It Like To Live,work And Study In Norway As A Nigerian? / Amazing Photos Of Borders Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.