Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion (12208 Views)

Work Resumes On Lagos Canal After PUNCH Report / Lagos DPO's Missing Pistol: Police Release Lady, Removes DPO Over PUNCH's Report / Sanwo-Olu Won't Escape Probe After COVID-19 Pandemic - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:02am On Nov 21, 2022
Following a report by The PUNCH, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority on Sunday said a seven-man panel had been set up to investigate the allegation of extortion levelled against three officials of the agency in the state.

Our correspondent, in a report titled – ‘Anger as LASTMA officials clamp down on motorists with trumped-up charges,’ said some commercial bus drivers alleged that the accused officials extorted money from them to the tune of N13,000, N15,000 and N20,000 in the state.

The Director, Public Affairs Department LASTMA, Taofiq Adebayo, in a statement, said the General Manager, Bolaji Oreagba, set up the seven-man panel to thoroughly look into the allegations, adding that anyone found culpable would be made to face the consequences under the extant rule of the state civil service.

He said, “The attention of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority has been drawn to a publication inside Punch Newspaper on pages 28/29 with the caption ‘Anger as LASTMA officials clamp down on motorists with trumped-up charges’, dated November 8, 2022, where three officials of the agency were alleged to have collected N13,000, N15,000 and N20,000 respectively from different commercial bus drivers in Lagos.

“ The General Manager, Bolaji Oreagba, disclosed over the weekend that the agency had summoned all officials mentioned inside the publication to appear before a seven-man investigation panel set up to thoroughly look into those allegations as published.

We have set up a seven-man investigation panel to thoroughly look into those alleged extortions levied against some of our officials and I assure the public that the outcome of the panel would be made public.

“We have it on record that some of our officials alleged to have been recently found wanting for official misconduct or unethical behaviour are currently facing disciplinary panel as the management would not condone any act of indiscipline from any official.”

Adebayo said the GM encouraged members of the public to come forward with evidence of their complaints against any misbehaved officials via the agency’s complaint hotlines, 08100565860, 08174722227, 08129928597,

He said Oreagba, however, pointed out that there were many LASTMA officials dedicated, conscientious and professionally carrying out their functions as observed during the LASTMA Connect programme aired on traffic radio as many Lagosians acknowledged the good work of the agency’s traffic control personnel.

He advised all road users in the state to obey the traffic regulations so as not to run afoul of the law, stressing that some violators were fond of offering traffic personnel bribes to avoid prosecution without realising that the law frowned on both giver and the taker.

https://punchng.com/lastma-orders-probe-after-punch-report-on-extortion/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1668997915

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:08am On Nov 21, 2022
LASTMA is An Evil Agency of Lagos State Government, Whose Major Task Has Now Became to iHarass And Extort Motorists in Lagos Especially Privately Owed Vehicles Thereby Causing Torment & Torture

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:10am On Nov 21, 2022
LASTMA Devilish Activities in Lagos State is Capable of Ruining Sanwo-Olu 2nd Term Bid Re-election

11 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:13am On Nov 21, 2022
LASTMA has been extorting since it started. They are all Tinubu's political thug Structure

15 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by madridguy(m): 6:17am On Nov 21, 2022
The General Manager, Bolaji Oreagba should go and sit down somewhere and stop pretending as if his boys are not giving him return.
The agberos in Lagos are even more composed and coordinated than the thugs in LASTMA uniforms.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Lifeisgoody: 6:17am On Nov 21, 2022
Which one is investigation. Its known to every motorists in Lagos already.

The Emilokan has employed all sort of junkies into the service. Their behaviour alone is very uncivil and visible to all, except you are not staying in Lagos

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:21am On Nov 21, 2022
Story for the gods. The criminals that you would soon exonerate. But let's pretend that your men are not desperate rogues. They're more interested in who they'll catch with their tyre puncher than controlling and easing traffic.

9 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Macphenson: 6:21am On Nov 21, 2022
These criminals have become a thorn in the flesh of Lagos motorists.

I remember a day I was driving to airport. On getting to UBA headquaters on the bridge, they carried their nail under my tire, that one leg of my tire is in the line marked for people going down to Marina. I was shocked. They jumped into my car and said I should settle them 70k.

Then they brought one useless tout and he claimed he is a police inspector. With the way they were odering the idiot around, I knew he will never be a policeman. Later they told him to drive the car and collect the money from me.

The idiot was crusing with my Benz, driving inside Lagos Island and showing his.fellow touts he is crusing in Benz. We got to a place he parked for me to withdraw the.money from ATM, i shouted fire, fire, and jumped out of the car and he quickly followed.me, I turned round, entered the drivers side and drove off.

In as much as LASTMA is important in maitaining traffice order in Lagos, they have gone rogue, especially ever since Tinubu declared for presidency. When I was talking with those guys, they told me they are on target to raise funds for campaign.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Ancecoker(m): 6:47am On Nov 21, 2022
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by SoftP(m): 6:48am On Nov 21, 2022
MC Oluomo boys on Uniform

7 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Oluwapresley(m): 6:48am On Nov 21, 2022
They should come to Adekunle Panti police station and Coman probe those guys there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Atarakpa: 6:48am On Nov 21, 2022
This lastma guys and their touts operate like terrorist. And they are really tarnishing the image of Lagos. Where in developing country in the world do any agency of govt operate that way.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by BarrElChapo(m): 6:49am On Nov 21, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by TA4TA4: 6:50am On Nov 21, 2022
Lol... Na every week them dey set up panel? After kidnappers na Police, after police na LASTMA.... Make the magas come Tey clamp my car.... The below shall be their fate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

2 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Oluwapresley(m): 6:51am On Nov 21, 2022
Macphenson:
These criminals have become a thorn in the flesh of Lagos motorists.

I remember a day I was driving to airport. On getting to UBA headquaters on the bridge, they carried their nail under my tire, that one leg of my tire is in the line marked for people going down to Marina. I was shocked. They jumped into my car and said I should settle them 70k.

Then they brought one useless tout and he claimed he is a police inspector. With the way they were odering the idiot around, I knew he will never be a policeman. Later they told him to drive the car and collect the money from me.

The idiot was crusing with my Benz, driving inside Lagos Island and showing his.fellow touts he is crusing in Benz. We got to a place he parked for me to withdraw the.money from ATM, i shouted fire, fire, and jumped out of the car and he quickly followed.me, I turned round, entered the drivers side and drove off.

In as much as LASTMA is important in maitaining traffice order in Lagos, they have gone rogue, especially ever since Tinubu declared for presidency. When I was talking with those guys, they told me they are on target to raise funds for campaign.

Haha. This your story enn. It's funny! But it's the sad reality!

11 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Antoeni(m): 6:53am On Nov 21, 2022
Can kettle Probe Pot For Been Black?

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Lanretoye(m): 6:56am On Nov 21, 2022
To say lastma dey carry gun,their matter for worst.

6 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Thortp(m): 6:57am On Nov 21, 2022
Bro, Yaba is too far. Come to Surulere
Oluwapresley:
They should come to Adekunle Panti police station and Coman probe those guys there.

5 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Tolumiide: 6:59am On Nov 21, 2022
It always surprises me when the government always act as if they don't know how the lastma are operating.

9 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by abbeyfel: 7:02am On Nov 21, 2022
Recently, my partner was operated for fibroid at an hospital at ikorodu. On a fateful day that I was to go pick her up from the hospital, I was driving through Oshodi so I decided to pick up some passengers to subsidise for fuel cause I've been so spent at the moment.

After picking up like just three passengers, the agbero boys asked for money, so I was like "with how many passengers now"? Omo the guys just went haywire, saying I was forming big boy for them, and next thing was to call one guy who just stood looking at us from a short distance. Next thing was guy showed up oo. I thought it was a joke, next was I found my car at the LASTMA office at oshodi.

I cried to use the emotional weapon cause I was truly distressed. Showed them the huge fibroid that was removed from my partner, even showed them her state at the hospital at that very moment. Omo this guys still collected 17k from me ooo. Hmmmm. I can't explain how I felt in words.

These guys are just evil. Most of them. They no longer manage the traffic they were set up to manage, now all they do is major in torturing and robbing honest working Citizens in the name of traffic offences!

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by money121(m): 7:06am On Nov 21, 2022
Last man

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by MarketDispatch: 7:09am On Nov 21, 2022

3 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by virginchaser(m): 7:20am On Nov 21, 2022
Erring officers should be reported.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by mrsage(m): 7:22am On Nov 21, 2022
Okay o

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by victorVIC1(m): 7:23am On Nov 21, 2022
LASMA officers wey don follow me go ATM before. My dislike for that agency knows no bound. They lack empathy and would always take advantage of you if you're not familiar with the axis.

11 Likes

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Johnrake69: 7:32am On Nov 21, 2022
Lastma guys are just the most heartless criminals you can ever encounter on Lagos roads.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by Tolumiide: 7:32am On Nov 21, 2022
abbeyfel:
Recently, my partner was operated for fibroid at an hospital at ikorodu. On a fateful day that I was to go pick her up from the hospital, I was driving through Oshodi so I decided to pick up some passengers to subsidise for fuel cause I've been so spent at the moment.

After picking up like just three passengers, the agbero boys asked for money, so I was like "with how many passengers now"? Omo the guys just went haywire, saying I was forming big boy for them, and next thing was to call one guy who just stood looking at us from a short distance. Next thing was guy showed up oo. I thought it was a joke, next was I found my car at the LASTMA office at oshodi.

I cried to use the emotional weapon cause I was truly distressed. Showed them the huge fibroid that was removed from my partner, even showed them her state at the hospital at that very moment. Omo this guys still collected 17k from me ooo. Hmmmm. I can't explain how I felt in words.

These guys are just evil. Most of them. They no longer manage the traffic they were set up to manage, now all they do is major in torturing and robbing honest working Citizens in the name of traffic offences!
Sorry about your experience. They've collected ₦23000 from me too at that Oshodi office, and I paid their useless vulcaniser a mandatory ₦1000. If you go there everyday, you will see alot of frustrated motorists there everyday, our government can not claim they don't know about their activities, I don't believe that. There's a no snapping of pictures instructions by the management at the right hand side of the compound. So you're not allowed to make record.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASTMA Orders Probe After Punch Report On Extortion by spawnx: 7:42am On Nov 21, 2022
I know they can be high handed but you broke the law by picking up passangers for financial gains and probably not at a designated park or stop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASTMA Men Attacking A Bus Driver (Video) / PDP Is Dead In Enugu As APC Takes Over Enugu In 2019 Election- Odo / 2023: "It's Time For Southeast To Produce President", Igbo Leaders Insist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.