Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,935 members, 7,835,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

co - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / co (707 Views)

My Dad Died Because He Slept With A Married Woman / My Dad Almost Killed Me Today! / My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

co by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2022
Xcode

1 Like

Re: co by incandescentena: 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: co by immortalcrown(m): 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2022
Get a good lawyer who will initiate and guide a thorough investigation that will answer your questions.

3 Likes

Re: co by faithfull18(f): 4:29pm On Nov 23, 2022
Hmmn.
Re: co by Jogs1900: 4:32pm On Nov 23, 2022
I think this is a complicated issue...But since you are listed among the administrators of his estate,there's nothing they can do unless you are being carried along especially as it relates to cash in the bank, pension and stocks (shares)..If you want your share of the property sold like lands and buildings and you are sure you didn't consent to the sales, you can sue them.. Please be careful of any documents you sign...At this point,I will advise you get a copy of the letter of administration and involve a lawyer since you based abroad.
Re: co by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2022
o

O

1 Like

Re: co by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2022
How come you never knew your father's lawyer? It would be a surprise if your dad had no lawyer. His lawyer is the first person you should have met. Being a straightforward person, you shouldn't have handed over the documents to them so quickly, at least NOT ALL THE DOCUMENTS, since you knew the kind of people mother and son are.

Even if there was a will, it's too late for you to do anything, by now the lawyer may have been bribed and paid off to keep mute. Your father's pension will run into huge sums, so never you let go of the money, rather visit the country when you are able, sign necessary documents ALL BY YOURSELF.

From what you have written, you didn't even take time to ask the bank official questions, he may have explained better if you are the only beneficiary. Whatever the case, if you should travel over there, go to the bank and make enquiries. To me I don't see much wisdom in you leaving your father's inheritance to two greedy people, but if you think you don't need it, then keep waiting for them to handle it and give you whatever they wish.
Re: co by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 23, 2022
Co
Re: co by gaby(m): 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2022
Wonderful.

I can feel the pain, hurt, disappointment, and betrayal all over your post.

What a mother.

She don useless that boy life kpatakpata and no one should be surprised when that boy turns on or even kill her.

This is how it always ever ends in cases as this.
Re: co by Jogs1900: 5:20pm On Nov 23, 2022
Nonameneeded:

- I didn’t open a joint account with them. (Which will be the estate account)
- My name was on the news paper publication (in a decision state)
- I didn’t see the letter of administration and I don’t know if my name was on it or not but I’m assuming it was since my name was I. The newspaper
- They’ve been able to empty all savings and current accounts - I was given one million from this.
- They haven’t had access to Pension and Shares. I don’t know why.

Regarding lawyers, it’s worth considering but I’ll prefer to do it my self (if it’s something that I can do my self). Can’t afford to pay millions in legal fees. With the recession looming, and tech lay offs, I’m trying to save up as much as possible, especially since I only have myself to rely on. No one will rescue me financially if I spend all my savings on lawyers.
I will advise you start by getting the certified true copy of the letter of administration in respect of your dad's estate..With 20k, a lawyer can do that for you in the state where they got the letter of administration...I'm suspecting they forged your signature in the bank in order to have access to the funds there...While they are having issues accessing his shares and pensions is because these offices always want to see all the beneficiaries together in their offices for confirmation...I will like to know the state they got it.
Re: co by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 23, 2022
B
Re: co by sirrotex: 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2022
I suppose your dad must have had a family lawyer based on the number of properties he had. That should be the starting point. You can also conduct a search at the probate registry.
However since you have already obtained letters of administration, this implies that your dad died without leaving a Will. The named Administrators have a legal duty to administer the estate to the benefit of all beneficiaries. For the shares and pensions, you can apply for additional grant if they were not listed in the bank certificate form. All in all, I would advise that you show interest in your dad's estate to avoid a situation of waste.
Nonameneeded:
My dad passed away recently. I’m the 2nd child, of two- one boy, one girl.
A bit of background about my upbringing-

My parents were separated for a long time, not officially divorced because my mother used to try to steal or sell his properties (amongst other things). Let me add that my father was not perfect, what caused their separation was the fact that he found out she was about to sell his properties.
I don’t think my mum is a good person morally and she’s the direct opposite of my father in terms of honesty, integrity and morals. (I’ve only come to this realization now). I know she has her good sides too.

Then to my brother, my dad was always very strict with him because he had the same habits, stealing, dropping out and using private tuition money to party etc. in fact before my dad died, they were not speaking because he had stolen a huge sum from my dad.

I on the other hand, I’m my father’s daughter to a T. Straightforward, honest bla bla bla. My brother is my mother’s favorite and I’m my dad’s, neither of them hid it. I’ve been a people pleaser all my life, when it came to my mum and my brother which will explain some of the decisions I made regarding death certificate and property documents after my dad’s death. (Found this out in therapy, lol)

Let me add that, after their separation my parents went through a phase where they weren’t speaking at all, my dad kept my brother and I. Eventually they started dating other people but my dad didn’t marry anyone. They were cordial and spoke from time to time after the animosity died. My dad didn’t stop us from having a relationship with my mom or her side of the family and vice versa.

Fast forward to my dad’s death, funeral and everything passed, time for property. I had the death certificate because our family doctor refused to hand it to my brother based on dad’s instructions. I was also the only person that knew where my dads land documents were - the properties in question are a lot and worth a lot of money. He also has pension and shares and his personal bank account which has a decent amount of money.

Well, I handed over the documents to my mum because I was trying to avoid sibling rivalry with my brother and kind of expected her to be fair with it but that was probably the wrong decision. Nothing prepared me for what was going to happen.

They decided to file a letter of administration in a different state from Lagos, my dad has NEVER lived in the state but they didn’t include his Pension or Shares, or any property whatsoever.

I wasn’t initially included in the letter of administration filing but afterwards they came to ask me to sign, I signed and when the news paper publication came, I saw my name on it. When it was approved they opened an account in both their names. Full disclosure - I received 1m from them as my share of the money left in all his bank accounts. Which is all I’ve received from them till date.

They’ve been selling properties and sharing the money, I decided to move out because as much as I claimed I didn’t care about my dad’s properties what they were doing was hurtful. I was focused on moving on, I had a good job paying well and I could fend for myself. So I had my company do a transfer and I moved abroad and used my wellness benefits to pay for a therapist because I was completely broken.

Well, few months ago I received a Facebook message from a contact person in his pension company asking why I’ve not come for his pension, same thing with his stock broker. I told him I was abroad and will attend to it when I’m in Nigeria. All of a sudden, my mum messaged me that I need to sign some account opening forms to open a joint account so they can process his pension and shares. I asked her why she wasn’t using the one she opened before, and she said she wanted me to be involved. I just told her to carry on as she’s been doing and they don’t need to put me in. This was in August, till this day the pension and stocks haven’t been moved.

Now alarm bells are ringing, and my instinct is telling it’s because I’ve been listed as a beneficiary - I could be wrong - since despite everything my brother did my dad was still always fair to him and willing to forgive.

Recently I’ve been trying to get closure, and I’ve constantly been bothered, could the reason why they did the letter of administration in a different state be because my dad had a will and they were trying to avoid it? Is there a way to find out and have clarity? I don’t intend to cause a ruckus, I just want closure.

Would you advise I just leave the situation be?.

Apologies for all typo xx

1 Like

Re: co by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 23, 2022
V
Re: co by Jogs1900: 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2022
[quote author=Nonameneeded post=118628511][/quote]
Try to get a lawyer pay him or her 20k...They will get the certified true copy of the letter of administration first...It's very important.... Unfortunately I don't have a lawyer in Oyo state.As for the shares and pensions,they can't do anything behind you unless they substitute your name.The registrar of companies must see everybody together physically in their office.
Re: co by LilMissFavvy(f): 7:37pm On Nov 23, 2022
If your dad never mentioned anything about his "will", then I believe he wasn't really bothered about how his stuffs will be distributed upon his demise. If he didn't get another lawyer to replace his lawyer, then I believe he trusted everything to go right. Some parents do open up or give vital details about their "will" when alive.

So on that note, I advice you let sleeping dogs lie, especially since many years has passed. You should only pursue the pension stuff if you wish.

Nonameneeded:

Good question

I knew his previous lawyer, but they fell out when he cheated my dad for a property my dad gave him money to buy. He claimed to have lost the documents, this was 2015. My dad couldn’t reach him on phone throughout this time, and nobody could find him.

After my dad died though, before we even buried him, he went to our house to ask for my number and called me like someone that was being chased saying he found the land properties that caused the fight. It was at this meeting that he said my dad never made a will while he was his lawyer.

My dad also didn’t tell me about any will. I also never discussed property with him because that’s like saying you’re wishing him death, it was just a difficult discussion to have with him. He didn’t have another lawyer after him, as far as I knew.

The only thing my dad would do when he bought a new property was show me where all the perfected documents were hidden in the house.

1 Like

Re: co by sirrotex: 9:58pm On Nov 23, 2022
Yes you can get a letter of administration if there is a valid will. It is called partial intestacy and it usually occurs when some parts of the property is not listed in the will.

If you happen to be in Lagos, I can schedule an appointment with you where we would resolve all these mysteries.
Nonameneeded:

This is my confussion. Can you get a letter of administration if there’s a valid will. (even though it was done in Ibadan not Lagos where he’s always lived).

I also just had the person that lives with my mother take some screenshots of some conversations and send to me. I will paste some pictures after I remove personal information.

1 Like

Re: co by oldienavie: 11:45pm On Nov 23, 2022
These kind of stories make you wonder how someone educated and informed would continie to live his life without a will even in old age.

A lot of Nigerians do this and its really sad, a lot of parents are very selfish and they fail to think about how their decisions will affect their children when they are gone.

I hope people will learn from this.

@Op I am sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Re: co by Candidlady: 9:44am On Nov 24, 2022
Sorry bout your dad may allah grant him eternal rest

You should lawyer up

Your mum is a mini witch while your brother is a maxi wizard

Try getting rid of your brother and watch everything fall in place

(1) (Reply)

/ Should I Send My Children All The Bills I Incurred On Them? / One Night Stands (getting Pregnant)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.