Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,053 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! (1956 Views)

An Open Letter To Parents On The Future Of Their Children, on Tech and Coding / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 8:28am On Aug 26, 2011
Hey peeps,

I dunno how true this is, but i know at a point in every novice programmers development process, he hits a stag, gets confused about the next step, or what to do, or what to learn, and generally doesn't just feel programming anymore. You just find yourself utterly confused.

What do you think the person should do, u know, to rejuvenate the programming spirit and get back on his/her stride?

Thanks!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by bouzymill(m): 8:54am On Aug 26, 2011
if it doesn't just feel programming anymore, leave anything that has to do with programming for like a month, watch more tvs, go out more, stay out more, lock you room and spend more time with the fam. If you stay alone, just simply go out more. you're just going to be naturally inspired back to code. it's like pausing for a fresh breathe. It has worked for me more than often.

and if you simply looking for something new to learn. . . Jsut check what other colleauges of yours are doing (not in Nigeria oooooo)

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 8:58am On Aug 26, 2011
ok, not in nigeria, then i guess in the uk and other places,, owkk

i see what some of them do and its really above the kinda stuff we do there, like it'll take forever to catch up with counterparts there,

i guess thats what discourages me sometimes and forces me into a block!!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by bouzymill(m): 9:41am On Aug 26, 2011
IbroSaunks:

ok, not in nigeria, then i guess in the uk and other places,, owkk

i see what some of them do and its really above the kinda stuff we do there, like it'll take forever to catch up with counterparts there,

i guess thats what discourages me sometimes and forces me into a block!!

Well . . . Don't get me wrong on the "Nigeria" point. I specifically said not in Nigeria cos most of the developers' projects that are online are usually below par or just something you know already. Those who are doing real stuff in Nigeria don't really share knowledge.

However, in the UK, US or everywhere else in short, just like you have rightly said, people do stuff, talk about it on their blogs and talk about what goes into it and where they have borrowed from.

So, dont let it force you into a block. The aim is not to do exactly what they have done but rather know what's behind their concept and broaden your horizon.
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2011
Are you sure you are programming because you want to? Am not trying to scarp you but if you program because you want to or because you like it or because you want the knowledge, you aren't going to fall into such situations. However, programming because a lot of people do it or because there is money in it or because you just want to be like someone isn't a good idea.

When I program/develop, am completely in my own world. Everything seems like my creation while am the God. Now thats cause am only programming because its something I always want to do. Its not just writing code to work, you need to love the code. If you see it as a slut then f&%k it.lol.

Every challenge should be a blessing o you. If you ever get to that point where you feel programming isn't fun because you get confused on something, think again.
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 10:24am On Aug 26, 2011
Are you sure you are programming because you want to? Am not trying to scarp you but if you program because you want to or because you like it or because you want the knowledge, you aren't going to fall into such situations. However, programming because a lot of people do it or because there is money in it or because you just want to be like someone isn't a good idea.

When I program/develop, am completely in my own world. Everything seems like my creation while am the God. Now thats cause am only programming because its something I always want to do. Its not just writing code to work, you need to love the code. If you see it as a slut then f&%k it.lol.

Every challenge should be a blessing o you. If you ever get to that point where you feel programming isn't fun because you get confused on something, think again.

nahh, i'm a learner and i have seen the other areas of computer-science, nothing gives me the satisfaction i get from writing snippets of code, and if others are doing it i would go for something else cos i like doing different stuff, (not that that has anything to do with it).

I love the code! The thing is, i just finished some minor php project i did for where im doing my internship, (the IT unit of an engineering firm) and i didn't really have the time to make it big and all. So now that im done with it i wanna go back to java that iv been learning, cos thats what i feel like basing my final year project on (which i dunno yet!). Then i hit the stag!! Sometimes sef i want to read stuff and i start feelin too hungry cos im fastin, lol grin
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 10:30am On Aug 26, 2011
Well that explains it all. You are fasting! For some reasons most of ma folks fasting here are also not coding.lol Chill out for now, just read some theory and stop when you are tired pending the time you finish fasting!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 10:35am On Aug 26, 2011
@fayimora, thanks

checked ur profile and stuff, i'm impressed, maybe its the jand factor though! U do better stuff than many of my counterparts here! thumbs up!

u used php for ur portfolio site shey?
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 10:43am On Aug 26, 2011
Its not a 'jand' factor. I schooled for 6yrs in Nigeria.

Oh my site. lol. It was just a bday gift to myself. Yeah I used PHP for server side, however I would redesign next year in Rails. The site is not really complete tho, been really busy with some stuff!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 10:50am On Aug 26, 2011
Fayimora:

Its not a 'jand' factor. I schooled for 6yrs in Nigeria.

Oh my site. lol. It was just a bday gift to myself. Yeah I used PHP for server side, however I would redesign next year in Rails. The site is not really complete tho, been really busy with some stuff!

birthday gift to yourselfThats geeky man! Anyways as far as web goes its only php and some html, tiny css i know, cos when it comes to design i pretty much suck, im more interested in the event driven areas. I switch between web stuffs and java every now and then. I was kinda hoping that if i ever got a job that made me a permanent web developer, i won't have to be concerned with the design part, but now people are making me see that that might be impossible to find, at least in Nigeria. Is that how it is over there, is the developer responsible for everything?
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 11:06am On Aug 26, 2011
Yh i knw. . .Erryone calls me a geek! You might not be interested in web design but you HAVE to know it. Event driven development takes that into consideration. Say for instance you want to animate some colors on a div tag with Javascript, if you can't design then what do you do? Pay someone? lol Just learn it all and then focus more on the development, how the site works. .

Java is kinda like my primary language also. Am not a ful time web developer. Just a student packaging as much knowledge as possible! I just do anything web for the fun of it. .
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 11:13am On Aug 26, 2011
Fayimora:

Yh i knw. . .Erryone calls me a geek! You might not be interested in web design but you HAVE to know it. Event driven development takes that into consideration. Say for instance you want to animate some colors on a div tag with Javascript, if you can't design then what do you do? Pay someone? lol Just learn it all and then focus more on the development, how the site works. .

Java is kinda like my primary language also. Am not a ful time web developer. Just a student packaging as much knowledge as possible! I just do anything web for the fun of it. .

yep! me too, web is a side thing, though the versatility i try to attain is majorly fueled by confusion. I'm the most confused, indecisive person i know, except when it comes to things like fashion that i really don't care about. I could hold 3 meeting sessions just to discuss which smartphone i should buy next (and end up regretting my decision after i make it!). So i just learn something, something else looks good, divert to that, go back, forth , back , forth over and over, embarassed

So what are the things you know about java? Can u do web stuff?
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2011
Things i knw about Java, hmmm dont know how to answer that. Would just say A LOT! Web stuffs you mean JSP/JSF or web entirely?

Yeah Its very easy to have a diverted attention. However, you can overcome it. Just sit down and think of what exactly it is you need/ want to do. That way you would be able to face something.
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by IbroSaunks(m): 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2011
wow, alot! yeah and applets, and servlets,
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2011
Edittd ma post. Yeah i know lot bout applets, i use them and so on. JSP/JSF I know but not a fan of! They are far behind
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by megaplaza(m): 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2011
@fayimora, i must give it to you that you are smart but then the JAND factor is playing a role. You spent 6 years schooling in Nigeria probably secondary school education in a good school. Hmmm try studying com. Science in Nigeria and you will confess. I did comp sci, just graduated 4rm unical, the truth is dat till u graduate you will be writin only programs to calculate sum of numbers, standard deviation blah blah blah, ask the hard question and they will turn into assignment 4 u. Dat apart, talk about resources, books(there is hope now cos of ebooks), internet access (very expensive), power supply, na when u spend 2 weeks without power supply you will know weda na solar energy ur lappy or desktop dey use. am not sayin d JAND factor made u who u r, just sayin it encourages you, the environments here discourages and frustrates. I keep telling people if my lectures in school couldn't stop me from loving programming then i can neva stop.
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2011
Personally, nothing can distract moi! But reading these factors, I kinda now understand why I see some kinda questions on this forum. I ask a question and it becomes an assignment for me?? Lmaooooooo. Now dats crazy!

Am yet to see people writing parsers or utilities! Its all just maths and apps apps apps. You are probably right because I can't survive 12hrs a day without seeing my Mac and using it, it wud get worse if I see it but can't use it because of electricity.

Untill Nigeria's lectricity is fixed, I dnt see my self going there!

Not withstanding, you must also know that I built my first 2 websites in Nigeria, first one wen I was 7 and second one when I was 10(tho I used Ages 3yrs older on the sites). I learnt html then and a bit of css. So there's no much of a 'jand factor' working here!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Charleebro(m): 7:37am On Aug 28, 2011
First websites designed when u were 7 and 10 respectively, IN NIGERIA!!If that aint real impressive,I dunno what is.I learnt hw to design at 19.lol
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by Fayimora(m): 8:51pm On Aug 28, 2011
Thanks!
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by okeyxyz(m): 1:38am On Aug 29, 2011
bouzymill:

if it doesn't just feel programming anymore, leave anything that has to do with programming for like a month(it could take a lot less time to recover), watch more tvs, go out more, stay out more, lock you room and spend more time with the fam. If you stay alone, just simply go out more. you're just going to be naturally inspired back to code. it's like pausing for a fresh breathe. It has worked for me more than often.

and if you simply looking for something new to learn. . . Jsut check what other colleauges of yours are doing (not in Nigeria oooooo)

that's the best answer i can think of. not sure about the crossed out words, but food for thought.
Re: What To Do When Your Confused And Coding Just Doesn't Feel Like Fun Anymore! by bouzymill(m): 2:49am On Aug 29, 2011
I see you got issues with my "Not in Nigeira ooo". I actually didn't mean it as an insult to Nigerian developers. that was why I said in my next response that

Well . . . Don't get me wrong on the "Nigeria" point. I specifically said not in Nigeria cos most of the developers' projects that are online are usually below par or just something you know already. Those who are doing real stuff in Nigeria don't really share knowledge online.

However, in the UK, US or everywhere else in short, just like you have rightly said, people do stuff, talk about it on their blogs and talk about what goes into it and where they have borrowed from.

So, dont let it force you into a block. The aim is not to do exactly what they have done but rather know what's behind their concept and broaden your horizon.

and forreal that's the point. I never knew some designers/developers existed in Nigeria until I searched on "Zerply" and "Behance". Those were the places I met people doing real stuff. My take is that, you don't have to search so hard to find the top notch designers in Nigeria to motivate upcoming developers. Atleast, People like Ethan Marcotte, Andy Budd, Andy Clarke, Zeldman, etc. are topnotch designers in the UK and US alike . . . and we get to see what they are doing and they talk about how they tackle different issues and even have different stands on major issues facing web development with people forming school of thoughts and having real and professional debates. This motivates you to want to learn from them or learn exactly how they have learnt. and this is what we are missing in Nigeria. That's my opinion anyway.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Programmer Please Share Your Most Challenging Project So Far / Any C++ Programmer In The House / Good Books On Php, Mysql,asp.net,jsl Needed For Purchase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.