Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost (62720 Views)

Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Olu317(m): 3:13pm On Dec 26, 2022
Babinski:

While I agree with your point on the need for reorientation for people to have a grip of their history, I beg to differ on some of your other points.

1. The mistranslation of names is understandable because a person cannot translate beyond his vocabulary and such translations are not necessarily derogatory. The names of most of the dieties are missing in modern Yoruba vocabulary of most people and so it is only natural they seek meaning through other similar words. For example when the only "Igbe" in your vocab is associated with excreta and doesn't include bush, then how do you translate "Adekogbe" correctly?

2. Your statement on Christian misinformation on naming is wrong and misleading. If there is any misinformation on naming, it is from the people who do not have a thorough grasp of their historical heritage and not any particular religion.

3. Religion is a way of life for some people beyond mere observances and it encompasses what they eat, wear and even how they name themselves and that is seen in the Yoruba people and even Arabians. When religion changes for some people, lifestyles and naming may also need to change. Abdulah and its various forms mean slave or servant of Allah and essentially all Muslims whether bearing that name or not are sales of Allah. So a Yoruba Muslim understably should have no qualms bearing Abdul even when he knows the full meaning.

Of course yes, you may differ on some of these point based on your knowledge but I know better.

Hence, one cannot translate what he thinks it is right but absolutely wrong. So, it is absolutely wrong to infer in that regard that deities names aren't in existence or non captured in vocabularies.

How do you even mean that deities names are not captured in vocabularies ? Is there anywhere Yoruba names are documented manually? Yoruba names are dieties names from time immemorial but christians and other non believers do pay deaf ears to the truth by assumptive derogatory meaning. So blame them all for their individual or collective ignorance.

Therefore the people who should be blamed are not the traditionalists because the Yoruba christians are the ones who want to be smarter than ifaodu preachers or the elders in Yoruba worldview by condemning them.

Igbẹ is not just excrete but also means deep part of forest. So, some Yoruba word can be homonymous nature and not what you confine it to. Adékọ̀gbẹ has nothing to do with excretion grin grin . Funny lad.

Your Nos 3 only show your level of Yoruba language. And I wonder if I decided to correct you,I bet you will keep dragging it. No wonder you are linking excrete with Igbẹ grin Adékọ̀gbẹ

Lastlty, whatever seem right to you, then attend to it from your religion your school of thought. But certainly Yoruba ifaodu is beyond religion. Aptly it is the foundation of Yoruba language and Yoruba's existence with better information on world bothering subjects than other so called Christian and Islamic religion.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 4:00pm On Dec 26, 2022
k2money:

Please what is the meaning of kupoluyi. I know of someone who answers that names?

I suspect this is an abiku name

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 4:03pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

It's not. What it means is that by the time the baby was born an important person died in the family.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 4:17pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
It's not. What it means is that by the time the baby was born an important person died in the family.

Okay cheers. What does it mean?
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 4:20pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

Okay cheers. What does it mean?
Which one again?
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Olu317(m): 4:31pm On Dec 26, 2022
cayorday89:

Hmmm, nice one, now I can tell what 'Ikukoyi' means.
Yes.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Olu317(m): 4:36pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
My curiousity! How do you see "Ikú", in Yorùba tradition cum religious doctrine ? For educative purpose and knowledge exposure.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 4:40pm On Dec 26, 2022
Olu317:
My curiousity! How do you see "Ikú", in Yorùba tradition cum religious doctrine ? For educative purpose and knowledge exposure.
That is going to be a long issue. let us leave that till other time

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 4:42pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
Which one again?

Kupoluyi
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 4:46pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

Kupoluyi
Death has taken away an important person.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 4:47pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
Death has taken away an important person.

Pls break the name down
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

Pls break the name down
Iku pa eni to ni iyi. That is, death took away an honorabe, important, respected person.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 5:07pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
Iku pa eni to ni iyi. That is, death took away an honorabe, important, respected person.

Cheers! I get it now
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Slickchuma1: 5:35pm On Dec 26, 2022
This is very nice.
Could you help with the meaning of the following names: Famuyiwa, aderiike, oluwatiresimi, omoteleola, olukayode Adebesin
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by BrainBoulevard: 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2022
kumulus:

What about the possibility of this one not also referring to the crown as opined in the original post?

Adekusibe - A dé kù sí bè (He who's present here and still there), just as our forebearers hailed the Great One; "O jade n'ile ma tan n'ile"

Your thoughts? Was

Excellent topic, I was just having thoughts on the same earlier this morning. It's interesting to note the extent of the great Yoruba civilization by looking through the names. Our ancestors were so devoted to their skills and craft at those times that they raised for themselves pillars in honour of their ways and means.....hence, you have different religions as offshoots.

Indeed the thief has come only to steal and destroy.....

Verily, lands in the regions of the Congo shall rise again, and every tongue about the Nile and her surroundings once again will flourish.
Wsaaa
Àse!!!
aaaa aw
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Olu317(m): 8:17pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:
Okay.Plainly, any name with ikú is abikú's identity. Itis a fact that Yoruba tradition profess positivism in all challenges, inclusive ikú which is negatism.

Herein, every name given that either is having ikú (prefix or suffix) is absolutely rejection of death in such family.

Kindly know also, there is no shrine for ikú to be worshipped or venerated in ifá. Infact immortality was for humanity in totality but when the laws were broken, then death begun to kill humanity.

This is why, death is seen as a mean of ascending to the abode of the ancestors for reincanation to be once there is a reason for such person or individual who died without fulfilment of his purose on earth, must return back to do such. Hence, Bátundé/Bábátundé came to existence.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by Olu317(m): 8:32pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

How can school uniform be made out of Ankara? Ankara is not sustainable for regular wash and wear.

Lol! Say who ? I guess, you are looking at kind of khaki clothing for pupils or students grin ? Innovation. Adire or Ankara have patterns that can be used for uniform. It simply means, celebration of Yoruba fabric identity.

Although, you're entitled to your personal view. So, you can disagree. This said clothing material is Yoruba's and making uniform out of it is to carve identity for Yoruba pupils or students

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:17pm On Dec 26, 2022
Olu317:
Lol! Say who ? I guess, you are looking at kind of khaki clothing for pupils or students grin ? Innovation. Adire or Ankara have patterns that can be used for uniform. It simply means, celebration of Yoruba fabric identity.

Although, you're entitled to your personal view. So, you can disagree. This said clothing material is Yoruba's and making uniform out of it is to carve identity for Yoruba pupils or students

We don't have to make poor decisions in the name of saluting our identity.

Ankara just wouldn't work.

Have you seen any school in the world that wears their cultural atire as uniform?
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:19pm On Dec 26, 2022
Olu317:

From what I've researched online, ancient yorubas saw death as a spirit.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:20pm On Dec 26, 2022
duro4chang:

Pls can you explain the meaning of names that contain ' Efun' as in efunporoye, Efunkunle, Efunsetan
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 9:24pm On Dec 26, 2022
Olu317:
Okay.Plainly, any name with ikú is abikú's identity. Itis a fact that Yoruba tradition profess positivism in all challenges, inclusive ikú which is negatism.

Herein, every name given that either is having ikú (prefix or suffix) is absolutely rejection of death in such family.

Kindly know also, there is no shrine for ikú to be worshipped or venerated in ifá. Infact immortality was for humanity in totality but when the laws were broken, then death begun to kill humanity.

This is why, death is seen as a mean of ascending to the abode of the ancestors for reincanation to be once there is a reason for such person or individual who died without fulfilment of his purose on earth, must return back to do such. Hence, Bátundé/Bábátundé came to existence.
Not all names with Iku are abiku's names. Some are and some are not. I will soon create a thread that explains the believe of yoruba about death.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:24pm On Dec 26, 2022
cayorday89:

Hmmm, nice one, now I can tell what 'Ikukoyi' means.

Is this the same as ikoyi?
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:27pm On Dec 26, 2022
ejimatic:
I never said Malaolu is a Celestial name. I only said religious names are taking over our Yoruba names! We can of course retain our traditional names while we still have religious names.

You mean Abrahamic religious names are taking over? because names containing Ogun, Osho, Sha are still religious names.

Even names that reference reincarnation are religious names.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2022
EmekaA125:

Kosi wahala gbogbo

When there is a thread on ancient Igbo names, we go call you.
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2022
Olu317:

This makes sense.

Because why would someone bear names like 'kumuyi', 'ikuseka', 'ikujenyo', if they hadn't been plaged by many people they cared about dying around them?

I feel for our ancestors sha. They just didn't understand why those people were dying and they just expressed their emotions and beliefs in the naming of their kids
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

Pls can you explain the meaning of names that contain ' Efun' as in efunporoye, Efunkunle, Efunsetan
Meaning of Ẹfúnsetán
Ẹfun has perfected/completed things.

Extended Meaning
Names with Ẹfun are given to people belonging to the devotees of Ọbàtálá, the god of creativity and fertility.

Morphology
ẹfun-se-tán

Gloss
ẹfun - chalk, purity, whiteness
se - create, do, make
tán - complete(ly)

Geolocation
Common in:
IBADAN

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by duro4chang(m): 10:32pm On Dec 26, 2022
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by 1Sharon(f): 10:43pm On Dec 26, 2022
Slickchuma1:

This is very nice.
Could you help with the meaning of the following names: Famuyiwa, aderiike, oluwatiresimi, omoteleola, olukayode Adebesin

This site should help.

@ all others on this thread should check out this website:

https://www.yorubaname.com/
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by ejimatic: 10:50pm On Dec 26, 2022
1Sharon:

You mean Abrahamic religious names are taking over? because names containing Ogun, Osho, Sha are still religious names.

Even names that reference reincarnation are religious names.
Yes you are right !

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by cayorday89(m): 2:29am On Dec 27, 2022
1Sharon:

Is this the same as ikoyi?
Can't say really?
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by cayorday89(m): 2:30am On Dec 27, 2022
Olu317:
Yes.
Any idea what OKURIBIDO truly means...
Re: Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost by k2money(m): 7:24am On Dec 27, 2022
1Sharon:

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Funny Pidgin Proverbs / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / Imo State Mandatory Bride Prize List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.