Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,985 members, 7,956,679 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:49 PM

So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km (1757 Views)

Hyundai Kona To Run For 482 Km When Charged, Charging Takes 9.35 Hours / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 7:17am On Nov 25, 2022
see they say do oil change every 3000 miles but i somehow have forgotten that miles and km are different. like i have been Changing my oil every 3000km. mayneeeeeeeeee. instead of every 4500 km.

1 Like

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by Dozieson(m): 7:36am On Nov 25, 2022
Which oil?
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by PAQ(m): 9:04am On Nov 25, 2022
Apart from wasting some money, you have done nothing wrong to your car. Your engine will be in top shape

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by lukaino(m): 11:18am On Nov 25, 2022
I'm not sure i do up to 1000km per month but i chose to service every 3 months and i've been consistent for 3yrs now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 1:07pm On Nov 25, 2022
Dozieson:
Which oil?
injin oyel

2 Likes

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by alienvirus: 3:18pm On Nov 25, 2022
sukkot:
injin oyel

Lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by buygala(m): 9:26pm On Nov 25, 2022
I used to have the same 3k mile oil change mindset .... But now I know different.. Now na 10k miles steady I dey do on a 2007 Toyota Prado.. On 20w50.. I frequently do some serious highway miling though..

I manage some Toyota Hiace "hummer" Buses that are used for Transport business to and from the far North to Lagos... These buses do 2 round trips almost every week.. That's more than 1. 5k miles per round trip.. And these buses get their oil change every 2 months, after covering more than 20k miles... And yes.. Na 20w50 dem dey use for service.. And these buses are still in jolly shape more than 5 years down the line.

In my opinion, moisture is the worst enemy of engine oils.. Frequently driving very short distances like 5miles daily tend not to allow the oil get hot enough to evaporate condensed moisture in it, which ends up fvcking up the oil prematurely..in that instance, even changing oil at 2k miles won't help much... That continuous and unexpelled condensation buildup in oil is what majorly causes engine sludge..

If you do more than 30 miles at a stretch daily at steady average revs of 2k+, I don't see why you can't push up your oil change period to 7 or 8k miles.. And if you frequently do 300mile+ journeys, push it up to 10k miles... Even with mineral oils

If those Volkswagen Sharans and Hummer buses used for interstate transport can do 20k+ miles per oil change on mineral oils , I don't see why some of us private drivers can't, given the right circumstances.

After all said and done, despite the bodily lagginess of some of those transport vehicles, their engines are mostly in pretty top shape.. Far better shape than the engines of some of us who keep unnecessarily spoonfeeding our engines.. Some of them still have their factory engines even after 10 years of constant long-distance travel...

Country too hard to dey waste money dey dash oil salesmen that are praying for you to change oil every 1k miles..

NB.. this comment isn't for you if you frequently do very short-distance driving..

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
buygala:
I used to have the same 3k mile oil change mindset .... But now I know different.. Now na 10k miles steady I dey do on a 2007 Toyota Prado.. On 20w50.. I frequently do some serious highway miling though..

I manage some Toyota Hiace "hummer" Buses that are used for Transport business to and from the far North to Lagos... These buses do 2 round trips almost every week.. That's more than 1. 5k miles per round trip.. And these buses get their oil change every 2 months, after covering more than 20k miles... And yes.. Na 20w50 dem dey use for service.. And these buses are still in jolly shape more than 5 years down the line.

In my opinion, moisture is the worst enemy of engine oils.. Frequently driving very short distances like 5miles daily tend not to allow the oil get hot enough to evaporate condensed moisture in it, which ends up fvcking up the oil prematurely..in that instance, even changing oil at 2k miles won't help much... That continuous and unexpelled condensation buildup in oil is what majorly causes engine sludge..

If you do more than 30 miles at a stretch daily at steady average revs of 2k+, I don't see why you can't push up your oil change period to 7 or 8k miles.. And if you frequently do 300mile+ journeys, push it up to 10k miles... Even with mineral oils

If those Volkswagen Sharans and Hummer buses used for interstate transport can do 20k+ miles per oil change on mineral oils , I don't see why some of us private drivers can't, given the right circumstances.

After all said and done, despite the bodily lagginess of some of those transport vehicles, their engines are mostly in pretty top shape.. Far better shape than the engines of some of us who keep unnecessarily spoonfeeding our engines.. Some of them still have their factory engines even after 10 years of constant long-distance travel...

Country too hard to dey waste money dey dash oil salesmen that are praying for you to change oil every 1k miles..

NB.. this comment isn't for you if you frequently do very short-distance driving..

yeah i frequently do very short distance driving grin

but nice info nevertheless
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by MOTIONTECH(m): 9:51pm On Nov 25, 2022
buygala:

Tell me you are joking

1 Like

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by buygala(m): 9:57pm On Nov 25, 2022
MOTIONTECH:
Tell me you are joking

Visit any interstate Transport company nearest to you and ask them the oil change duration of their vehicles .

Na we dey make things unnecessarily hard for ourselves..

Except for very short distance drivers, 3k miles oil change is very very unnecessary

So if I travel from Abuja to Lagos and back thrice, my car is due for oil change? ... For what biko?

4 Likes

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by buygala(m): 10:03pm On Nov 25, 2022
sukkot:
yeah i frequently do very short distance driving grin

but nice info nevertheless

Then your case is different.. If you fit afford 1k miles oil change, please do... Short distance driving is a silent engine killer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 10:07pm On Nov 25, 2022
buygala:

Then your case is different.. If you fit afford 1k miles oil change, please do... Short distance driving is a silent engine killer.
i do about 30 km at a time
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 10:08pm On Nov 25, 2022
MOTIONTECH:
Tell me you are joking
you not buying what he is selling ?

1 Like

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by buygala(m): 10:13pm On Nov 25, 2022
sukkot:
i do about 30 km at a time

That's like 14 miles

Not bad if its mostly traffic free driving at 2k+ Rpm..Stop and go traffic is almost as bad as short distance driving.

Besides if yur car's engine fan is always on, it further limits the evaporation of condensation from your engine oil, because the engine won't get hot quickly enough to heat up the oil faster.

Engines are at their best at their optimum temperature..
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 10:18pm On Nov 25, 2022
buygala:

That's like 14 miles

Not bad if its mostly traffic free driving at 2k+ Rpm..Stop and go traffic is almost as bad as short distance driving.

Besides if yur car's engine fan is always on, it further limits the evaporation of condensation from your engine oil, because the engine won't get hot quickly enough to heat up the oil faster.

Engines are at their best at their optimum temperature..

hmmmm yeah its mostly stop and go. ahhh well i guess i will stick to the 3000km change. forget that 1000km grin grin
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by 9icetoo(m): 11:08am On Nov 26, 2022
buygala:

Visit any interstate Transport company nearest to you and ask them the oil change duration of their vehicles .

Except for very short distance drivers, 3k miles oil change is very very unnecessary

So if I travel from Abuja to Lagos and back thrice, my car is due for oil change? ... For what biko?
@the bolded, you are not properly informed.

Some of them change weekly self depending on how many round-trips done.

They do not generally exceed 5k miles.

Rivers to abj guys change after every 4th or 5th round trip.

Do the maths.

2 Likes

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by buygala(m): 12:54pm On Nov 26, 2022
9icetoo:

@the bolded, you are not properly informed.

Some of them change weekly self depending on how many round-trips done.

They do not generally exceed 5k miles.

Rivers to abj guys change after every 4th or 5th round trip.

Do the maths.

Maybe you didn't read the part where I said I managed some interstate buses running North to south Sir

None of those buses do oil changes after 5 round trips Sir... During the xmas/New year rush period, one oil change takes them through.
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by AlphaTaikun: 10:15pm On Nov 28, 2022
sukkot:
see they say do oil change every 3000 miles but i somehow have forgotten that miles and km are different. like i have been Changing my oil every 3000km. mayneeeeeeeeee. instead of every 4500 km.
"Injin oyel"... This thread cracked me up. Very educative too. Lol.

Great thread Sukkot.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by AlphaTaikun: 10:17pm On Nov 28, 2022
buygala:

Insightful.
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by AlphaTaikun: 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2022
buygala:

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by AlphaTaikun: 10:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
buygala:

Nicely put. Thanks for sharing!
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 12:15am On Nov 29, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

"Injin oyel"... This thread crack me up. Very educative too. Lol.

Great thread Sukkot.
niceone brother. i havent forgotten our article ooo hehe. this worldcup ehn cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by AlphaTaikun: 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2022
sukkot:
niceone brother. i havent forgotten our article ooo hehe. this worldcup ehn cheesy cheesy
Okay Sukkot, enjoy the Worldcup fever. grin

All the best.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by clinician2x: 8:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
buygala:

True. From time to time sha I take my car to atleast 200km.
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by Dtruthspeaker: 9:25am On Dec 02, 2022
sukkot:

But you no lose anything na. E mean say your engine suppose sharp.
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 1:40pm On Dec 02, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

But you no lose anything na. E mean say your engine suppose sharp.
i know lol. the engine sharp like razor my brother grin
Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by Dtruthspeaker: 1:59pm On Dec 02, 2022
sukkot:
i know lol. the engine sharp like razor my brother grin

Den all good na. Dey change oyel dey go. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So All This While I Have Been Doing Oil Change At 3000 Km by sukkot: 2:11pm On Dec 02, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Den all good na. Dey change oyel dey go. grin
grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Conversion From Right Hand Drive To Left / Changing Tyre Specs / C. Ronaldo Just Acquired The Latest Bugatti Chiron Worth $2.5 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.