Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. (559 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 10:57am On Nov 26, 2022
Nairalanders,I live in a south south state now,due to my very busy schedule I haven't had chance to go to South East,here is the problem below.

My landlord in Enugu is trying to play a smart one on me, I'm thinking of involving my older siblings to bankroll me,so that I can involve a charge and bail lawyer in Edo state here,or go to AIG office in adesuwa road here or Edo state police command to report the issue,highest I will give police small money to go and make arrest in Enugu and bring the person here(one of my landlady son).

My annual rent expired in early this month,this is a house � I lived in for five years,I never caused any problems or owe debt as we speak.

When this ASUU people went on strike,I left Enugu so,Nepa bill accrued and I told my landlady that I will pay for the Nepa bill,that period when assu went on strike and to the period they resumed.But however,I won't pay the ones accruing after assu resume because I am not using it, because I'm not around.

Because of my relationship with this people,they never gave me any receipt through out the five years.

Now I believe I should a grace period of up to six months by Nigeria law,since I'm not renewing the rent,my plans is to there and pack my things by the end of this year or early January,it's not up to a month the rent expired and my landlady is telling me to come and pack my things that there want to give out the room to a new person,that if I refuse to come this December,I will have to pay her by January.

Had it been I knew,I would requested for my receipt last year.

My dad was in good relationship with the family,but this their new behaviour will make me do something to teach them a little lesson,my late dad was a senior police officer in AiG zone 5 Benin then,and many of our Ika relatives are still in zone five,I'm thinking of running to one of them to help me with police to go and arrest one of my landlord son.

Even one of my agemate and friend from agbor is also an AsP as I write now, I'm thinking of telling him,so that I will teach this people a bitter lesson.

If it get worst I will involve my older siblings,my elder brother will not take it likely despite the fact he is not in the country now,nairalanders advice me.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:00am On Nov 26, 2022
Nairalanders I need your advice,I hate oppression.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:03am On Nov 26, 2022
I have been playing dumb to them,but this time they are trying their luck too far.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:05am On Nov 26, 2022
I'm very busy now with work,and I don't have money to go there now,I will go there in January but this their new behaviour we make me show them,I'm not dumb and I know my right.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:06am On Nov 26, 2022
Mynd44,faraided,seun, ishilove,slowormirr, front page.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:17am On Nov 26, 2022
The thing is that,I do request for my receipt but they will say they will give me,and also say no need since I have no problem.

But however,I did bank used transfer to pay for the last rent last year,I can request my bank to print out the receipt for me.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by immortalcrown(m): 11:18am On Nov 26, 2022
The grace period applies to a quit notice by a landlord or landlady, not to a tenant's decision to pack out.

When a landlord or landlady wants to evict a tenant, the tenant is entitled to the grace period. But when a tenant decides to pack out, no grace period for the tenant.

The logic behind the law is that a tenant might be stranded when he or she is given a quit notice by a landlord or landlady. So, the landlord or landlady, being considered to be responsible for the tenant's inconveniencses, is mandated to bear some of the consequences. The grace period is to enable the tenant sort himself or herself out. But when the tenant is the one who decides to pack out, he or she is not stranded. Even if he or she is stranded, the landlord or landlady is not responsible and should not be the consequences.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:19am On Nov 26, 2022
immortalcrown:
The grace period applies to a quit notice by a landlord or landlady, not to a tenant's decision to pack out.

So in my case what should I do?
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:21am On Nov 26, 2022
My father's house in delta,we nor dey even draw tenant like say na die,so I don't understand why so people take it to be another thing.

I won't go Enugu now,I'm busy with work.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:24am On Nov 26, 2022
Nairalanders pour out your opinion on this issue.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:26am On Nov 26, 2022
0bjpmb,Okpansukkaisbae adenniga
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:30am On Nov 26, 2022
immortalcrown:

When a landlord or landlady wants to evict a tenant, the tenant is entitled to the grace period. But when a tenant decides to pack out, no grace period for the tenant.

The logic behind the law is that a tenant might be stranded when he or she is given a quit notice by a landlord or landlady. So, the landlord or landlady, being considered to be responsible for the tenant's inconveniencses, is mandated to bear some of the consequences. The grace period is to enable the tenant sort himself or herself out. But when the tenant is the one who decides to pack out, he or she is not stranded. Even if he or she is stranded, the landlord or landlady is not responsible and should not be the consequences.

Really, okay thank you.Let them do their worst now.If them expect me to pay,if I happen to go there by January or they break the door and throw my things out,o they should be ready for serious police case........
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by immortalcrown(m): 11:31am On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

So in my case what should I do?
Pack out immediately because you cannot occupy the house and refuse to pay rent. Or, check the number of months that will be enough for you to pack out, pay for only those months.

But in a situation where the landlord or landlady insists on collecting the rent for a complete year, you can claim you can't afford the one-year rent. If the landlord still insists and threatens to chase you away from the house, the grace period can now apply.

Understand the logic. When he or she says you must either pay for a complete year or pack out, it means he or she is the one chasing you out. Therefore, he or she will give you the grace period.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by doggedfighter(f): 11:33am On Nov 26, 2022
Going through story, there seem to be not problem that can't be easily resolved by simple explanation and understanding.

I just the persons and police officers you think you know is making you over react.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:36am On Nov 26, 2022
immortalcrown:
Pack out immediately because you cannot occupy the house and refuse to pay rent. Or, check the number of months that will be enough for you to pack out, pay for only those months.

But in a situation where the landlord or landlady insists on collecting the rent for a complete year, you can claim you can't afford the one-year rent. If the landlord still insists and threatens to chase you away from the house, the grace period can now apply.

Understand the logic. When he or she says you must either pay for a complete year or pack out, it means he or she is the one chasing you out. Therefore, he or she will give you the grace period.

Okay,if paying for two months is the solution,I will think about it,but if she insist on full year,let their family be prepared for police case,I will involve my entire family in it.

I will take the matter to adesuwa office(AiG zone 5 office in Benin),I plan to go there by early January.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by immortalcrown(m): 11:45am On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

Okay,if paying for two months is the solution,I will think about it,but if she insist on full year,let their family be prepared for police case,I will involve my entire family in it.

I will take the matter to adesuwa office(AiG zone 5 office in Benin),I plan to go there by early January.
Na so una dey rush into regrets. It is cheaper to pay for even a full year than to fund the case in the zone whatever. Going to the zone whatever will only satisfy your ego at the expense of your hard-earned money.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:53am On Nov 26, 2022
immortalcrown:
Na so una dey rush into regrets. It is cheaper to pay for even a full year than to fund the case in the zone whatever. Going to the zone whatever will only satisfy your ego at the expense of your hard-earned money.

Thanks for your advice,I will try to relate the issue with my elder brother.Its cheaper to make peace.....

Some landlord dey make person vex,my dad house get tenant,but we nor dey even reason all those kind things.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by doggedfighter(f): 11:54am On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

There's really no need for zone 5. Police case should be avoided at all times even if you know the IGP.

Don't burn bridges.

Your father was a friend to them. It has gotten to your turn , you want to spoil relationship.

You are not wise !
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:55am On Nov 26, 2022
doggedfighter:

There's really no need for zone 5. Police should be avoided at all times even you know the IGP.

Don't burn bridges.

Your was a friend to them.

Thanks aunty,I will avoid police in it....I will try to make it peaceful.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by doggedfighter(f): 11:56am On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

Thanks aunty,I will avoid police in it....I will try to make it peaceful.

Thanks for being a gentleman.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 11:57am On Nov 26, 2022
doggedfighter:

Thanks for being a gentleman.

You're welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2022
doggedfighter:

Going through story, there seem to be not problem that can't be easily resolved by simple explanation and understanding.

I just the persons and police officers you think you know is making you over react.

I told them before January 1st I will come and back my things,by December ending,but they are not accepting that.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ephort: 12:13pm On Nov 26, 2022
Even the grace period is not free. You pay up to the time you last spent. Yes, quit notice is for six months which ends when your rent shou expire, not additional after expiration. Any day you spend above your tenancy period can be recovered from you by the Landlord as a mesne profit.

You are the one trying burn the bridge.

Solution, be wise and negotiate with the Landlady. Pay for the number of extra months you desire to stay, and leave peacefully bro.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ephort: 12:14pm On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

I told them before January 1st I will come and back my things,by December ending,but they are not accepting that.

Are you paying for the extra months, or you believe it's your right to occupy someone's property without paying for the use? Divide your rent and pay fir the extra months.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by doggedfighter(f): 12:16pm On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

You can't just keep your things there without payment. Ask them if you can pay December rent. Please ask nicely.

How many bedroom flat are we talking about ?
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2022
Ephort:

Are you paying for the extra months, or you believe it's your right to occupy someone's property without paying for the use? Divide your rent and pay fir the extra months.

Okay,maybe when I go there by January,I will think of the extra month and pay it,but it's not supposed to be so.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2022
doggedfighter:

You can't just keep your things there without payment. Ask them if you can pay December rent. Please ask nicely.

How many bedroom flat are we talking about ?

It's a room apartment.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by doggedfighter(f): 12:19pm On Nov 26, 2022
Ikamandoncome:

It's a room apartment.

Please pay or find a way and go pick your things. It's not worth the fight.
Re: Lawyers I need your advice:My landlady crossing her boundry. by Ikamandoncome: 12:19pm On Nov 26, 2022
doggedfighter:

Please pay or find a way and go pick your things. It's not worth the fight.

Okay.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Office Equipment For Sales / Urgent Sale Of 29plots Facing Lekki Epe Express With C Of O / 4 No. 2br Flat For Sale In Iju With C Of O: 16m Asking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.