Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,354 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa (6088 Views)

Schengen Visa Delay At Belgium Embassy / New Rules For Schengen Visas From June 6th, 2013 / Need Information On Travel Insurance For Schengen Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by nicolac1(f): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2011
Hi Im Irish & my husband is Nigerian, we both live in Uk but got married in Benin, Nigeria. We have been told that we need an apostille now for our marriage cert (so we can get a schengen visa to travel to europe) as it wasnt issued here in UK, does anyone know if this can be done by Nigerian embassy in UK or does our certificate have to be returned to Nigeria to be stamped?
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by claremont(m): 5:19pm On Aug 26, 2011
The Nigerian High Commission can authenticate marriage certificates for a fee, no need to travel to Nigeria to do it.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by worry246(m): 7:06pm On Aug 26, 2011
I think that if you are in the UK as a legal couple
then you should marry in a UK church or registary office to become legal
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 8:56pm On Aug 26, 2011
@ OP, I really do not know the best answer to give you as I could be wrong but then I can tell you that you would not get apostille in Nigeria because Nigeria is not a signatory to the hague convention. the best bet is to apply at an easier schengen country, I would suggest France but then you have to legalize your marriage certifitcate. if you were in Ireland as i heard its just 20 Euro to legalize marriage cert and you get it as you wait. if u are in Nigeria then the best bet would be to go to the Irish embassy in Abuja for legalizing your marriage cert after which it would then be recognised by all member states
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by juzme: 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2011
Nigeria high commission in UK or Nigerian embassy in Ireland should be able to authenticate your Marriage certificate since it was obtained in Nigeria. All you need is to visit any of the Nigerian embassy nearest to you.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by Vicjustice: 11:39pm On Aug 26, 2011
nicola c:

Hi Im Irish & my husband is Nigerian, we both live in Uk but got married in Benin, Nigeria. We have been told that we need an apostille now for our marriage cert (so we can get a schengen visa to travel to europe) as it wasnt issued here in UK, does anyone know if this can be done by Nigerian embassy in UK or does our certificate have to be returned to Nigeria to be stamped?
First of all, endorsing a document with Apostille is not normally practiced in Nigeria.
Now, to make your Nigerian marriage document useable in the EU states, the Nigerian embassy or consulate can endorse it with stamp and signature; but bear in mind that it takes the discretion of the embassy's Commissioner of Oath to accept or refuse to authenticate any document that is issued from Nigeria for internation purpose because, such hard documents are supposed to bear the seal of authenticity endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affair before embassy's verification: This is how it is normally and formally done.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by nicolac1(f): 3:56am On Aug 27, 2011
Thank you all for your replies.

We are currently living in Northern Ireland so the NIgerian Embassy in London is too far to travel too but as I am Irish citizen (though living in UK) I think i will try embassy in Dublin!

Hope it works smiley
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 7:17am On Aug 27, 2011
The embassy would not accept marriage cert authenticated by Nigeria high commission even if it has the president's stamp on it, i have been through this, you have to get it legalized by your own country which is ireland.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by juzme: 8:00am On Aug 27, 2011
I think she can authenticate it from her embassy in UK or ministry of foreign affair in her country that is only after you have authenticated the document from Nigeria embassy or high commission. Also, your country may want you to register the marriage in your country before they can authenticate it.
By the way, your husband don't need visa to enter schengen countries if he is travelling with you.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by claremont(m): 8:31am On Aug 27, 2011
juzme:

I think she can authenticate it from her embassy in UK or ministry of foreign affair in her country that is only after you have authenticated the document from Nigeria embassy or high commission. Also, your country may want you to register the marriage in your country before they can authenticate it.
By the way, your husband don't need visa to enter schengen countries if he is travelling with you.
He will need a Shengen visa if he is travelling with her using an un-authenticated Nigerian marriage certificate.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 8:52am On Aug 27, 2011
I think people should post comment only when they have substantial knowledge of the topic. I would stress that even if their marriage cert is Authenticated by the EU itself, spouses of union citizen who are third country national would need an entry visa on all cases. The possession of a residence card would only exempt them from visa requirements, that is if they have a residence card that say eea family permit , its called different names in all member states. and also @ the OP only the irish authority needs to legalize your marriage certificate before it can be acceptable to any country in the EU. I have done this for france as i am married to a british national. tho the british goverment doesnt legalize marriage cert especially from the commonwealth countries as it is generally accepted in the UK. but a company in the UK whom the goverment has given authority to put its seal on such docs do it for 80pounds thats if u were british , you can go all around but then your country's authority would still be your last resort
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by Vicjustice: 10:51am On Aug 27, 2011
dalebutt1:

The embassy would not accept marriage cert authenticated by Nigeria high commission even if it has the president's stamp on it, i have been through this, you have to get it legalized by your own country which is ireland.
   What are you saying here, what embassy do you mean?
   Do you mean that she has to get a Nigerian document "legalised" by the Irish authority?
   Please, explain as your comment doesn't make sense right now.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 11:20am On Aug 27, 2011
yes her marriage cert has to be legalized by the irish goverment, as she is irish citizen it has to be done that way. French embassy would not accept our marriage cert because its nt be legalized by the UK. its simple and straight foward. EU countries that require legalisation of such docs would nt accept any documents legalized by any country outside the EU. i hope i have broken it down enough that you will understand now
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 11:55am On Aug 27, 2011
@ VICj FYI legalisation is nt authentication dey are 2 separate things, I wonder why then they alwayz require legalisation by the EU citizen's country. u can read Hague convention/apostille convention for your understanding. yes again her marriage certificate can only be legalised by the Irish authority for it to be recognised by the schengen countries
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by juzme: 8:55pm On Aug 27, 2011
claremont:

He will need a Shengen visa if he is travelling with her using an un-authenticated Nigerian marriage certificate.
Her spouse is possession a residence card issued by UK and both of them are travelling together therefore, he may not need a visa to visit any schengen country.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by claremont(m): 11:57pm On Aug 27, 2011
juzme:

Her spouse is possession a residence card issued by UK and both of them are travelling together therefore, he may not need a visa to visit any schengen country.
UK residence card is NOT applicable to travelling within the Shengen zone. If they are both travelling together, he will either need to secure a Shengen visa (free), or in it's absence, they will have to take an authenticated marriage certificate with them.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by juzme: 7:56am On Aug 28, 2011
claremont:

[b[b]]UK residence card is NOT applicable to travelling within the Shengen zone[/b]. If they are both travelling together, he will either need to secure a Shengen visa (free), or in it's absence, they will have to take an authenticated marriage certificate with them.[/b]
Well, I have seen people with UK residence card travelled to schengen countries with only their residence card while their spouse accompany them. Meanwhile, having only authenticated marriage certificate without Residence card does not permit you to visit any schengen countries without visa. The prime thing here according to EU directive on freedom of movement is just your RC. However, I understand some Schengen countries will require you to obtain a visa before embarking on your visit which we all know as the breach of EU directive on freedom of movement.
You are not required to have your marriage certificate once you have you RC but it is always advisable to have it in case the immigration officer will question the authenticity of the RC.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by dalebutt1: 8:37am On Aug 28, 2011
No airline would put someone on the plane without the right Visa, but then he has the right to be issued a Visa at the boder.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by juzme: 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2011
dalebutt1:

No airline would put someone on the plane without the right Visa, but then he has the right to be issued a Visa at the boder.

There are airlines that will carry you if you are accompanying your eu spouse and also in possession of residence card issued by UK or any eu member state.
I believe this webpage links may help.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan_book/essential_information/visa_passport_information/find_visa_requirements/find_visa_requirements.aspx
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by Vicjustice: 7:38pm On Aug 28, 2011
Dear Clearmont and Dalebutt, do not argue about what you are not certain of; Juzme is very correct, a person with a UK or Irish Residence Permit does not require a visa to visit the Schengen territory provided s/he is travelling with spouse.
Visas are not required for spouses of UK citizen, (irrespective of nationality) for a maximum stay of 90 days, as long as they are holding the "family member" Residence Permit issued by the United Kingdom (to a family member of an EEA national TIRGL/EEA or national of Switzerland,) provided travelling with or travelling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by claremont(m): 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2011
Vicjustice:

Dear Clearmont and Dalebutt, do not argue about what you are not certain of; Juzme is very correct, a person with a UK or Irish Residence Permit does not require a visa to visit the Schengen territory provided s/he is travelling with spouse.
   Visas are not required for spouses of UK citizen, (irrespective of nationality) for a  maximum stay of 90 days, as long as they are holding the "family member" Residence Permit issued by the United Kingdom (to a family member of an EEA national TIRGL/EEA or national of Switzerland,) provided travelling with or travelling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.

"Family member" Residence Permit.
Noted!
Re: How To Get Apostille For Marriage Cert For Schengen Visa by wildwater: 9:44pm On Aug 28, 2011
Many wrong answers: In Schengen it is like that, you have to get to foreign affairs in Abuja for affidavit, then you have to get the second Verification from the British Embassy in Nigeria or the embassy of the country related, on your wedding certificate, if you marry in Nigeria. Marrying on High Court will safe you some headache. I do not know how GB handles this, my country busies a lawyer on cost of the couple to proof if the wedding certificate is valid, (and your husband is not married in the traditional way) , costs about 600 Euro and the Embassy fee (30 Euro/ document) and takes up to three month.

If you are both legally in Europe (legally means too, your husband has NOT asked for Asylum), you should really try to marry there. You need his documents: That he is not married, do not know the English name for this at the moment, his birth-certificate, both with affidavit from foreign affairs in Abuja and the embassy, and his passport with valid Schengen Visum.
You need not do the documents yourself, a person of your trust can do it for you. It takes about 3 weeks to get this documents from foreign affairs.

And: There´s no other way to do things anymore, Danemark has been closed up, Spain, too, forget about Ukraine, Hungary is worse, do the straight way, go to Nigeria if they give you a headache and be patient. But I would ask my fiance, why he can´t provide the documents with affidavit and so on, because they are quite easy to get and if he says no, he might have other reasons, anyway he needs the same documents to marry you on High Court and to marry somewhere else I would not accept as a European woman. Gives problems with the affidavit at the embassy, luck to you!!!

The second step after getting the affidavit from foreign affairs a n d the embassy is asking for a visum at the embassy for familyreunion for your husband. The embassy will hand you over the forms, you fill it and have usually to provide a social insurance for your husband, prove that you can care for him without public welfare and have an flat to live in, but this papers you can provide in your country. The visa formular you get under this mailadress: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/vaf4a online, too. Anyway your husband can just go with you, when you can proof the necessary papers.

(1) (Reply)

Is Satellite Town In Ojo LGA Or Amuwo Odofin LGA? / Any Nigerians In Togo? Let's Meet Here. / Need A Cheap Hotel In Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.