Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,262 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

The Left Hand Tradition - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Left Hand Tradition (1148 Views)

The left hand syndrome in nigeria / What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? / What Is The Effect Of Paying Or Receiving With The Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Left Hand Tradition by mekaboy(m): 1:57pm On Aug 28, 2011
Where this tradition of the left hand start from? When you give or receive something from people with left hand they see it as an insult, is it an igbo thing or an african tradition? When will it end? I don't really care with hand u use to give as long as ur giving me money. I still have experiences where I buy stuff from people and give them money with left and they frown at it, does left hand devalue the money or what? Please let me have your opinion on this tradition.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by abohrandy: 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2011
nice one there!!!

but even the Bible condemns the "LEFT" (remember the story of the two thieves and Jesus?)
as for the origin, i really can say but it will be interesting to know where it started from!!!!
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by mekaboy(m): 9:23am On Aug 29, 2011
Lol, so because the unrepentant theif was on the left means the bible condemns the left ?
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by Redmosquito(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
The left is always typically associated with negativity, so what do you expect undecided
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by mekaboy(m): 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
Are you saying that those that are left handed are negative? I mean those who naturaly use left hand to do major stuff like writing and eating etc.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by opad22u: 8:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
This is just one of the complex behaviours of humans. We stigmatize d left hand because we use to wipe our behind & pick up dirty stuff. But seriously germs can be on both hands, they dont discriminate. Left or right i dont mind though.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by mekaboy(m): 10:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
Very funny! Well the other person said the bible condemns left another says left is known for negativity, now someone says we use left to wipe behind, lol pls oo I don't use left to wiPe my behind I use right.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by Nobody: 6:02am On Oct 29, 2011
There is no such thing as an African tradition. Each group comes up with its own tradition. For the yoruba because we eat with our hands it was important to designate one hand for eating and a different one to tamba. Sure u wash ur hand but there is still a gross out factor. Hence the left hand got stigmatized along the way. No big whoop.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by iice(f): 4:33pm On Oct 29, 2011
And they forget that left handed people use the right hand to wipe nyansh. Yea they sure escaped the gross factor. undecided Talk about 1 step program
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2011
Iice
No, left handed people are expected to follow d rules and use their left to wipe yansh.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by iice(f): 5:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
And people always do what they are told?
Or maybe peep in other people's toilets to know they are really following the left hand thing.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 29, 2011
That's besides the point. It's a honor system. Especially as a left handed person has to eat with his right hand in public and traditionally we hardly ever ate alone. They would hope u wouldn't want to use the same hand u use to wipe. Doesn't mean everyone cares.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by iice(f): 5:36pm On Oct 29, 2011
Uhuh.
Well humans aren't so honorable grin No matter the 'speak' claims.
Re: The Left Hand Tradition by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
Truer words have never been spoken.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Tired Of Failing Job Interview? Then Call In! / / Seun Nairaland Is Not P.m News. Always Verify Stories Before Putting On The Fp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.