Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,677 members, 7,813,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? (7218 Views)

The Left Hand Tradition / What Is The Effect Of Paying Or Receiving With The Left Hand? / Your Opinion About Atlantic International University Anambra State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Gee001: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2013
Greetings to y'all. Would like to know why people always give meanings and too much importance to the left hand especially when it comes to giving out and receiving with the left hand. To some people, they claim it's means being disrespectful, while others see it as nothing. Although my brother is left-handed but he's trying to be ambidextrous. I would like to know your opinions. Why is it so?
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by aaliyaSA(f): 7:46pm On Jan 15, 2013
I'm left handed...I'm nt sure y ur brother is tryin to b ambidextrous bt if it's got to do wit the negative thinkin around left handed people he shldnt b encouraged. There is nothin wrong wit bein left handed. In terms of the use of a specific hand for religious or cultural teachings then if he is young enuf those things can b instilled witout changin the use of your left hand for tasks like writin etc...I use my left hand fr everythin but ws brought up to eat wit my right hand, give things or accept things wit right hand and this hasn't posed any difficulty. He shldnt try n change what he is. Besides....it's been said that left handed people are very intelligent....he should b proud to b left handed! wink

10 Likes

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Gee001: 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
He's 18 and he's known how to use both but only writes with just the left hand n eats with the right. Though it's funny when he uses the right 2 lift things cos it hurts. I find it amazing when he carries a full gas cylinder with the left walking. I think it's cool n wud luv 2b one although dem no dey learn left hand 4 old age. Tnx dear@aaliyaSA, you rock!
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by aaliyaSA(f): 8:37pm On Jan 15, 2013
Pleasure smiley
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by tpia5: 9:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
One track minds, smh. undecided
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Gboliwe: 2:01pm On Jan 16, 2013
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Gee001: 3:56pm On Jan 16, 2013
Gboliwe: same category of thread with this https://www.nairaland.com/1129851/what-causes-curtains-shake-when cheesy
dearie, pls could u check again cos they don't relate in any way. Tnk u
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 20, 2013
Gee001: Greetings to y'all. Would like to know why people always give meanings and too much importance to the left hand especially when it comes to giving out and receiving with the left hand. To some people, they claim it's means being disrespectful, while others see it as nothing. Although my brother is left-handed but he's trying to be ambidextrous. I would like to know your opinions. Why is it so?

I'm also left-handed & have been victimized for giving out & accepting things with my left hand. I would advice your brother to desist from trying to ambidextrous & use that time for better things. Afterall, many great men are left-handed. Also, it's mostly in Nigeria that religion & old cultural sentiment stigmatizes against such.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 20, 2013
aaliyaSA: I'm left handed...I'm nt sure y ur brother is tryin to b ambidextrous bt if it's got to do wit the negative thinkin around left handed people he shldnt b encouraged. There is nothin wrong wit bein left handed. In terms of the use of a specific hand for religious or cultural teachings then if he is young enuf those things can b instilled witout changin the use of your left hand for tasks like writin etc...I use my left hand fr everythin but ws brought up to eat wit my right hand, give things or accept things wit right hand and this hasn't posed any difficulty. He shldnt try n change what he is. Besides....it's been said that left handed people are very intelligent....he should b proud to b left handed! wink

Nice to meet a fellow proud lefty on nairaland.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by IbroSaunks(m): 4:52pm On May 14, 2013
I'm a southpaw too smiley
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:52am On May 17, 2013
never use left hand for respectful thinz.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by dagentility(f): 11:54am On May 17, 2013
Even though,it not a good habit,i must say dat most of d people dat i see using left hand 2 write,deir writing is really nice.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by rodeo0070(m): 11:56am On May 17, 2013
I use both hands exceedingly well. Its very normal only that some cultures consider using it for an elderly person as disrespectful/taboo. While some religious sects forbade it, Cos they believe the left hand use mostly used for dirty "chores"(cleaning after using the toilet). Aside this, its normal.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by sushieater: 11:58am On May 17, 2013
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This means that only left handed people are in their right mind #nuffsaid

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by 50calibre(m): 11:58am On May 17, 2013
Obama, eminem, David Cameron, da Vinci, bill gates, Oprah are all famous left handed people. If I myself (right handed) wasn't a genius, I would have said being left handed was a pre-requisite for being a genius.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by dridowu: 12:02pm On May 17, 2013
My left hand dy lazy but only active when i want to slap some1 e.g u
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by gerrardomendes(m): 12:04pm On May 17, 2013
i was born lefthanded. my parents forced me to use my right. it wasnt easy and becos of dat,it aaffected my speech. i developed a mild stammering. today,i can use both hands. my right hand is beta in writing and eating but wen it comes to punching,i kan stop a moving horse. u wan try? u wan cry?

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by gerrardomendes(m): 12:05pm On May 17, 2013
i was born lefthanded. my parents forced me to use my right. it wasnt easy and becos of dat,it aaffected my speech. i developed a mild stammering. today,i can use both hands. my right hand is beta in writing and eating but wen it comes to punching,i kan stop a moving horse wit my left. u wan try? u wan cry?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by isquar3d3(m): 12:07pm On May 17, 2013
da-gentility:
Even though,it not a good habit,i must say dat most of d people dat i see using left hand 2 write,deir writing is really nice.
Ma'am, how is it not a good habit? How does being right handed become a good 'habit'?

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Sleekydee(m): 12:09pm On May 17, 2013
Am right handed, I had a minor surgery on my left hand last week saturday, and since then I haven't been able to make use of it, believe u me, d left hand is very important....chattin, n changing clothes n lifting objects with one hand is probably one of d hardest tins to do...b4 now I neva believed I did miss my left hand dis much, cnt jst wait 4 it 2 heal completely...
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by 50calibre(m): 12:09pm On May 17, 2013
gerrardomendes: i was born lefthanded. my parents forced me to use my right. it wasnt easy and becos of dat,it aaffected my speech. i developed a mild stammering. today,i can use both hands. my right hand is beta in writing and eating but wen it comes to punching,i kan stop a moving horse wit my left. u wan try? u wan cry?

You are ambidextrous
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by nerodenero: 12:09pm On May 17, 2013
Used to use my left hand before and I was beaten so much that at a tender age,I was forced to change.They say nothing good comes out of the left hand-foolish mentality.Despite all,I still use at times.My belief is both hands are good enough as the user decides where his power lies.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Blazinraj01(f): 12:14pm On May 17, 2013
If he wants to be ambidextrous, its good but ensure he doesn't change the use of his left hand for writing.

I am a lefty and the sad thing is my teacher changed me from left to right @ a tender age. But I use my left hand for eating and doing other stuffs asides writing. Now, as a lady, people don't expect me to serve them with my left hand nor eat with it because of religion dictates. I've ended up being ambidextrous.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Keenysbojan(m): 12:15pm On May 17, 2013
i'm left handed too,it is scientifically prove that it affect the brain if left handed users try to divert to be a right hand user
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by omodapson(m): 12:19pm On May 17, 2013
Does it matter which hand we use? What happens if the right hand is surgically removed due to accident, will the left hand be made useless because of that? We need to outgrow all these bullcra.p orientation...
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by rodeo0070(m): 12:24pm On May 17, 2013
Famous Left-handed Personalities

There are a number of famous left-handers. The list includes:

Presidents of the United States of America: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and the current President Barack Obama

Legendary Personalities: Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Horatio Nelson, Queen Victoria, Friedrich Nietzsche, Helen Keller

Musicians and Composers: Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr

Artists: Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci

Actors: Charlie Chaplin, Tom Cruise, Robert DeNiro, Greta Garbo, Whoopie Goldberg, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Steve McQueen, Marilyn Monroe

Sportspeople: Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Larry Bird, Pele, Brian Lara, Martina Navratilova, Rafael Nadal, Phil Mickelson, Terry Baker, Tim Tebow

Most left-handers the world over might have, at some stage in their life, been on the receiving end of a uncomplimentary remark or comment regarding their choice of hand. I am sure this list and discussion about the myths and facts would be reason enough to be proud of being left-handed.
CREDITS: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/myths-and-facts-about-left-handed-people.html
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by oloriooko(m): 12:27pm On May 17, 2013
Gee001: Greetings to y'all. Would like to know why people always give meanings and too much importance to the left hand especially when it comes to giving out and receiving with the left hand. To some people, they claim it's means being disrespectful, while others see it as nothing. Although my brother is left-handed but he's trying to be ambidextrous. I would like to know your opinions. Why is it so?

In this part of the world, we see the right hand or right hand side as a place of power, respect and dignity, i think this can be attributed to the fact that very few almost no left handers were seen back then. I think it has to do with culture and ancient beliefs which may not easily fade out, so if I give something to a younger one and he or she receives it with the left hand, it shows disrespect to me and a sign of unimportance.
On a lighter mood, when you loose the so termed unimportant left hand, then you will know that no part of your body is less in value to the other.
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 17, 2013
i use my left hand for everything except when writing and its cool, but whenever i'm giving an elderly person something i try as much to use my right hand.

Left hand is cool jare,it amaze my man and he's always showing off about it grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Les: 12:38pm On May 17, 2013
Gee001: He's 18 and he's known how to use both but only writes with just the left hand n eats with the right. Though it's funny when he uses the right 2 lift things cos it hurts. I find it amazing when he carries a full gas cylinder with the left walking. I think it's cool n wud luv 2b one although dem no dey learn left hand 4 old age. Tnx dear@aaliyaSA, you rock!
i eat wit my left till my primary 3 wen i was eating with my left hand, my teacher unknown to me flogged me from the back and shouted at me to use my right hand, it was painful and terrible, wat if d food I was eating choked me ol in d name of correction... Since then I started eatin with my right....

It can be very frustrating wen 9ja ppl see d left hand as taboo but u and I are full blooded lefties....

I wanna stop taking holy communion because I dont like putting my right hand on top- very frustrating...

There are alot of frustrating things about lefties esp in 9ja, over d years, i try using both hands, and right now, am a successful ambidextrous but still doesn't stop me from giving and collecting tings with my left, i try but it's like dat one is unstoppable!!
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 17, 2013
Am born a wingger. Was force to learn writing wit my right hand. But stil use my left to work equipment, gadget, tools, and believe me its most awkward! especially considering dat most of these instrument re model for d right hand.(imagine fence fighting wit d left!) bt can't help it since my right hand is rather weak compared wit d left. The high point is giving d unsuspecting goalie a power free/flying kick wit my left leg. They 're usually caught unaware! Am proud to b a wingger!!
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Les: 12:46pm On May 17, 2013
aanumama: i use my left hand for everything except when writing and its cool, but whenever i'm giving an elderly person something i try as much to use my right hand.

Left hand is cool jare,it amaze my man and he's always showing off about it grin grin grin
dat giving thing is very frustrating i tell ya esp in my childhood days, adults cautioning me ol d times... Now am grown up, nobody seems to care and I like dat..
Re: What's Your Opinion About The Left Hand? by Shaw007(m): 12:57pm On May 17, 2013
It's not impossible for your brother to Use both hands with high versatility,infact most people develop The ability naturally and unconsciously Through Everyday work,so it's no Big deal, . . . But that doesn't mean they can use both hands to write cause that's Highly uncommon,stead They can use both to perform other functions with adequate versatility and accuracy

Answering your question, There's really nothing special about Left handed people,it's just The silly mentality we were brought up with that it's something . . . There's really nothing special,just a difference in the orientation of the brain . . . So if he's trying to use both hands,fine!!
But I'd advice he doesn't try to shift totally to The right,cause That could be disastrous . . . Really!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of Nigerian TOP Pastors In Illuminati / What Do You Do When You Are Feeling Very Sad Or Depressed? / Weirdest Birthday Cake Ever (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.