Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar (501 Views)

Israel To Citizens: Supporters of our archenemy will be in Qatar, keep low profi / Gay Man Hunted And Gang Raped By Police Officers In Qatar / Double Rainbow Appears Over Buckingham Palace On Eve Of Queen's Funeral (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:53am On Dec 10, 2022
Sport writer Grant Wahl was 'laughing and joking' just moments before he fell back in his seat and died at World Cup quarter-final game, colleagues reveal - as his brother says he was murdered after infuriating Qataris with gay protest

• American journalist Grant Wahl has died while covering the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, according to a video posted by his brother Friday evening
• HE died while covering the Netherlands-Argentina quarterfinal match in Doha
• Wahl, 48, was 'healthy' before he collapsed during a game Friday, according to brother Eric in an Instagram video he posted
• Eric, who is gay, said he believes his brother - who was detained before the USA-Wales match for wearing a rainbow flag shirt - may have been killed
• Wahl said: 'I am the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the world cup. I do not believe my brother just died, I believe he was killed'

By STEPHEN M. LEPORE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: 02:18, 10 December 2022 | UPDATED: 07:30, 10 December 2022

American journalist Grant Wahl has died while covering the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. He was 48 years old.

Wahl, who covered American and world soccer on his Substack, CBS Sports, NBC News and previously worked for Sports Illustrated, was 'healthy' before he collapsed during a game Friday, according to brother Eric in an Instagram video he posted.

His agent, Tim Scanlan, told the New York Times that Wahl had gone into acute distress in the final minutes of a quarterfinal match, which he was covering from the press tribune.

US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in the media tribune at Lusail Iconic Stadium during extra time and reporters adjacent to him called for assistance. Emergency services workers responded very quickly, the reporters said, and his colleagues were later told that he had died.

Rafael Cores, a journalist for Univision who was sitting next to Wahl at the match, wrote: 'He was working on his story on his laptop, it was about 4 minutes before the end of the extra time. He was laughing at a joke we saw on Twitter only minutes earlier. I can't believe it. My deepest condolences to Grant Wahl's family.'

His brother Eric, who is gay, said through tears that he believes his brother - who had been detained before the United States' tournament opener against Wales for wearing a rainbow flag shirt - may have been killed.

Wahl's brother said: 'I am the reason he wore the rainbow shirt to the world cup. I do not believe my brother just died, I believe he was killed.'

American journalist Grant Wahl has died while covering the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Wahl was a respected sports journalist who was noted for his dedication to elevating soccer in the US

Grant Wahl had spoken about feeling under the weather in an episode of his podcast - Futbol with Grant Wahl - recorded Thursday.

He said on the podcast: 'My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you. What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.'

Wahl wrote that he tested negative for COVID-19 and sought treatment for his symptoms.

'I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I'm already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno,' he wrote.

Read More

His brother says he believes he was murdered.

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by lhordspy: 9:55am On Dec 10, 2022
Condolences to his family.

But i have no RIP to waste.

3 Likes

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by CALEB1590(m): 10:09am On Dec 10, 2022
Americans always try to break other country rules

3 Likes

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by RestructureNig3: 12:06pm On Dec 10, 2022
Who send am

2 Likes

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by panafrican(m): 1:57pm On Dec 10, 2022
He knew this gay stuff is not tolerated in many places in the world. Why did he provoke the
people of Qatar and threw a spit on their traditions by wearing this sinful shirt?

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by Obrigardo: 5:21pm On Dec 10, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

His brother says he believes he was murdered.

The sad part that most people here who comment don't know is that this pastor is delighted and having an erection over this death for obvious reasons.

Hateful man

Also don't be hateful like him and others who commented above. A person's sexuality is not your headache, religious bigots.

1 Like

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:54pm On Dec 10, 2022
Journalist Complained Of 'Death Rattle' Cough ONE DAY Before His Shock Death At World Cup

This is heart-breaking. cry

Source

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by Obrigardo: 6:28pm On Dec 10, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
Journalist Complained Of 'Death Rattle' Cough ONE DAY Before His Shock Death At World Cup

This is heart-breaking. cry

Source

Fake emotion.
After I called you out. Old timers here know you are a dud, top shelf maga extremist

2 Likes

Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by seunny4lif(m): 1:44am On Dec 11, 2022
CALEB1590:
Americans always try to break other country rules
Na today you know that one.
If you refused them then they will be screaming freedom of expression
Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:46am On Dec 11, 2022
Obrigardo:

Fake emotion.
After I called you out. Old timers here know you are a dud, top shelf maga extremist

Am I now a legal terrorist? cheesy Why troll a legal terrorist? Stay on your own lane. cool
Re: US Journalist Dies Days After Detainment For Rainbow Shirt In Qatar by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:52am On Dec 11, 2022
Obrigardo:

The sad part that most people here who comment don't know is that this pastor is delighted and having an erection over this death for obvious reasons.

Hateful man

Also don't be hateful like him and others who commented above. A person's sexuality is not your headache, religious bigots.

You are the one trolling me because of the hatred in your heart for what I stand for. Give Jesus a chance in your life as you repent from your evil lifestyle and accept the Prince of Peace into your life. smiley

(1) (Reply)

What Are The American Products That You Can’t Survive Without? / Sudan War: Causes Of Conflict In Sudanese Capital Explained / Ethiopia, Egypt, UAE, Saudi, Argentina Join BRICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.