Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,061 members, 7,832,569 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo (937 Views)

Catalytic Converters: How Mechanics, Dealers, Panel Beaters Are Ripping Off Car / Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by Angeldemon: 12:24pm On Dec 10, 2022
This year alone myself and two of my office colleagues have experienced this new trend in Lekki car sellers.
Most of their cars they call Tokunbo or Brandnew are secretly Nigeria used cars they refurbished and reselling as Tokunbo. Some brand new ones are Tokunbos with low mileage they wrapped with nylon.

When I want led to buy my own Lexus it was samething. I eventually went to buy at ikeja.
My two colleagues wanted to buy Mercedes Benz jeeps too. Same thing. The cars were Nigeria used that was repackaged as Tokunbo. When we checked custom papers the cars arrived in 2020 and the other Feb 2021. Interior had visible Nigeria usage signs.

My friend living on mainland also went to buy a car along there yesterday and said samething too.

I think police need to start checking those car sellers along that area. They're scamming lots of innocent people there.

Moderator pls front page.
Re: Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by gasparpisciotta: 12:35pm On Dec 10, 2022
Corruption everywhere.

What is wrong in telling the prospective buyer that the car was imported a year before and that the owner is interested in selling.

Meanwhile the vehicle licensing office should flag the chassis as already registered, but guess what? The dealer will say it was done by mistake grin
Re: Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by phorget(m): 1:14pm On Dec 10, 2022
Angeldemon:
This year alone myself and two of my office colleagues have experienced this new trend in Lekki car sellers.
Most of their cars they call Tokunbo or Brandnew are secretly Nigeria used cars they refurbished and reselling as Tokunbo. Some brand new ones are Tokunbos with low mileage they wrapped with nylon.

When I want led to buy my own Lexus it was samething. I eventually went to buy at ikeja.
My two colleagues wanted to buy Mercedes Benz jeeps too. Same thing. The cars were Nigeria used that was repackaged as Tokunbo. When we checked custom papers the cars arrived in 2020 and the other Feb 2021. Interior had visible Nigeria usage signs.

My friend living on mainland also went to buy a car along there yesterday and said samething too.

I think police need to start checking those car sellers along that area. They're scamming lots of innocent people there.

Moderator pls front page.

Where una dey see this money wey una dey buy cars upandan?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by SortOut: 10:09pm On Dec 11, 2022
It is very possible for expensive brands to be in stock for over a year without being sold. You probably need to distinguish between foreign used / Used but not registered, it's your responsibility to ask questions and carry out due diligence. However, it is criminal to advertise a Registered car as Tokunbo (some claim to de-register).

3 Likes

Re: Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by Angrygoat: 10:20pm On Dec 11, 2022
I know dealers who drive some cars home daily. And u cant know if ball joint has been changed or even engine has been modified till u buy amm,drive am. No be every car be registered oh,some are driven daily,from home to car stand ,till buyer comes.

7 Likes

Re: Dealers In Lagos Selling Nigeria Used Cars As Tokunbo by dragon2(m): 9:30am On Dec 12, 2022
The best thing is to name names. If their reputation( and sales) start going down, their brain will reset. Don't go about thinking consumers dont have power.

(1) (Reply)

Help:2008 Honda Accord. / OEM Or Aftermarket Or Tokunbo - When To Buy Which? / Auto Policy: FG, Stakeholders Plan Implementation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.