Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. (1528 Views)

Ever Ordered A Car Abroad While In Nigeria & It Worked? Share Ur Experience / Inside Volkswagens Massive Glass Towers Where 800 New Cars Are Stored For Pickup / Unbelievable Tokunbo Cars Spotted In Lagos (Shocking Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 15, 2020
angry angry

Abroad used cars is what we mostly parade is new whips.

Someday, I want to use a Nigerian car for several years and ship it to an American angry

I just opened the floor to insult Nigeria. Come and show your talent
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Akunwafor(m): 6:42pm On May 15, 2020
A brand new toyota camry will buy about 2 tokunbo c300.

owo ni koko
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by SpaceAngel: 6:56pm On May 15, 2020
Don't know who regards tokumbo as new.
Unless the definition of new has changed. Tokumbo is used and new cars are called tear rubber by people.

Naija used or tokumbo are known used cars.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by NaijadrivaCars: 7:05pm On May 15, 2020
Make I no lie, some bloggers are guilty of this.

You see headlines like, "Harrysong buys Brand New Bullet Proof Mercedes Benz". When you check the Benz and see say na older model (as in tokunbo).

@semid4lyfe, I sight you viewing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by diportivo: 7:07pm On May 15, 2020
Carchoice:
angry angry

Someday, I want to use a Nigerian car for several years and ship it to an American angry

who are the we?

bloggers?? undecided

cos na those ones I sabi say no get sense

and ofcos,whoever calls toks new angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Kurtis02(m): 7:12pm On May 15, 2020
Lol..

My lecturer bought a 2007 4runner recently (before Corona ish). Because of the nylon used to wrap the seat, he started claiming brand new.

Whenever students lean on the car ehnn na courseRep dey go chase pple.

He even refused to remove the Nylon

7 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by illicit(m): 7:45pm On May 15, 2020
Same people who believes that second hand is better than new.....
That okrika is better than new or Bespoke.
It's always about the price, it's never about the value.
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by mejai(m): 8:16pm On May 15, 2020
As for me, myself and I, I have never called or seen a tokunbo as new. I don't know about the we.

If you want to go with the definition of new, how many go buy am?
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:45pm On May 15, 2020
illicit:

Except that value is a function of price.

Carchoice:
angry angry

Even in the US, most people will say to buy a CPO used car over a brand new one, in order to avoid the depreciation hit.

No one I know calls a used imported car "new". Maybe you need to change your circle.
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 15, 2020
The OP is right. Lots of folks refer to toks vehicles as new. Even on nairaland, I've seen people make that mistake. Below is a vivd example I clearly remember. There are many others I really can't pull out again.

AmandaLuv:
I once took the vehicle to a mechanic who checked everything. He checked the ignition Coil, spark plugs, he also checked the exhaust to see if its smoking/bringing out fuel but none of this and confirmed the vehicle very OK. When I went back to complain of d vehicle still consuming fuel he said I have to buy a new injector that's why I wrote him off becos d car has never bn used in Nigeria and I wondered how I'll start changing parts on a new vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Conductor261: 9:11pm On May 15, 2020
Carchoice:
angry angry

Change your company.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:15pm On May 15, 2020
rationalmind:
The OP is right. Lots of folks refer to toks vehicles as new. Even on nairaland, I've seen people make that mistake. Below is a vivd example I clearly remember. There are many others I really can't pull out again.

Context. More like "A car I newly bought" rather than "A new car I bought".

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 15, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Context. More like "A car I newly bought" rather than "A new car I bought".

I don't think so.

If this was the case, she wouldn't have been surprised she's changing parts already. There is nothing out of the ordinary about changing parts in a vehicle you newly bought as long as it wasn't bought brand new

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:41pm On May 15, 2020
rationalmind:

I don't think so.

If this was the case, she wouldn't have been surprised she's changing parts already. There is nothing out of the ordinary about changing parts in a vehicle you newly bought as long as it wasn't bought brand new

True. Fair enough.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by semid4lyfe(m): 10:25pm On May 15, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:
Make I no lie, some bloggers are guilty of this.

You see headlines like, "Harrysong buys Brand New Bullet Proof Mercedes Benz". When you check the Benz and see say na older model (as in tokunbo).

@semid4lyfe, I sight you viewing.

Yeah, no comments, I'm only here to learn smiley
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 15, 2020
Some of you telling me to change my circle, it seems you don't know even with Buhari's level of experience and with his goons around him, he still can't give 24 hours light for once in Nigeria for all his 8 tenures. grin
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by buygala(m): 6:54am On May 16, 2020
Carchoice:
Some of you telling me to change my circle, it seems you don't know even with Buhari's level of experience and with his goons around him, he still can't give 24 hours light for once in Nigeria for all his 8 tenures. grin

8 tenures?

You not only need to change your circle, you also need to get a refund from all the schools you have attended in this life, since they couldn't make you understand that each tenure of Nigerian President is the period within which he remained President before being overthrown, stepping down or dying if he is Military, or amount of time he serves before another election is conducted if it's a civilian government....

it seems that aside being very ignorant, you lack basic education

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Nobody: 7:57am On May 16, 2020
buygala:

8 tenures?

You not only need to change your circle, you also need to get a refund from all the schools you have attended in this life, since they couldn't make you understand that each tenure of Nigerian President is the period within which he remained President before being overthrown, stepping down or dying if he is Military, or amount of time he serves before another election is conducted if it's a civilian government....

it seems that aside being very ignorant, you lack basic education
grin come and accompany me to all the schools I attended for a refund.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by mejai(m): 12:01pm On May 16, 2020
Carchoice:
We go accompany you o grin
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by ivoryhouse(m): 12:06pm On May 16, 2020
illicit:

When it comes to cars, this analogy does not stand. I once saw a 2005 Toyota Camry with 5000 all original miles, garage kept, in the US, by an elderly woman who's owner the car from brand new. It still had the shine of a brand new car and the new car smell, and this was 2015!
When it comes to cars, I'd rather let someone else pay for the depreciation. I'd rather buy a 2019 car with a few miles on it than buy it brand new. However, if brand new makes you feel better, knock yourself out�
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by xrayj(m): 5:35pm On May 16, 2020
Kurtis02:
Lol..
My lecturer bought a 2007 4runner recently (before Corona ish). Because of the nylon used to wrap the seat, he started claiming brand new.
Whenever students lean on the car ehnn na courseRep dey go chase pple.

He even refused to remove the Nylon
Lolsss
This is really funny
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by dasphinx1(m): 7:41pm On May 16, 2020
Carchoice:

If you need a sure driver, i de game o. As far as you sha pay me. Na the bar i need grin
Re: Why Do We Regard Tokunbo Cars As New Cars In Nigeria? It's An Insult. by Lexusgs430: 8:09pm On May 16, 2020
When you buy real and proper tear rubber, it's called brand new........

When you buy tokunbo, it's called brown new....... grin

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Guys I Want To Buy Lexus Is 250 Used / SOLD !!!! THREAD CLOSED . Alloy Rim For Honda Accord For Sale / Can 22 pin Gearbox In Lexus Es350 2007 B Repaired?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.