Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? (3652 Views)

OpenAI ChatGPT Conversation AI Shocked The World / Backend Software Engineers, Let's Talk About System Design / A Set Of Developers, Programmers And Designers Wanted For A Long Term Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 12, 2022
Hannania:
Firstly, whether you like it or not, ChatGPT is another level of disruptive technology that Machine learning has brought upon us.

It's talked about out there, but why not here on Nairaland where we have great developers?

Here's my take:

You need to understand that Microsoft invested $1b into that firm which helped it use the data from millions of repositories to learn how to code. Though it's decades from actualizing writing complex code.

Also, Remember Microsoft also owns GitHub, So that fact is that ChatGPT is a moving train for every imaginary sci-fi you can think of.

Virtually every code snippet you want to build as a junior developer is somewhere out there on GitHub, ChatGPT intelligently parses every repo and gets an output based on your query. It's the same thing the co-pilot does. Though there is a lot more algorithm scope that goes on under the hood.

Truth is, it will keep advancing and bring about automation thereby giving room for more senior development positions and needing fewer juniors.

My advice is to learn evolving skills in tech to be competitive. But as always, keep your keys open and don't grind blindly. Follow mentors in the field to know what's the projections of things so you won't be left behind.

So Nairalanders, let's hear you all

I don't see any critical impact. I see it more as a collaborator just like any other tech. Coding is basically a tool to develop app, websites and software. What we really need are software engineers who can focus on other complexities.
We need more Engineers. There are less than 20 million engineers in the world. Less than 0.2% of the world is working on developing technologies and solutions for the future. That number is way too low. We've got lots of problems to solve.

The present tech layoffs have taught many people lessons, some of the best developers lost their jobs not because of incompetence but
1. simply because there was not work for them to do and
2. the big tech companies are not as efficient as many people think.

My advice is always have a side gig.

5 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:57pm On Dec 12, 2022
Studymore123:

You're a smart guy oh. Why did you leave the mechanic project? I actually don't know much in that field but I'm looking at it as a lucrative field. Our major problem is access to funds, but I think that's a problem all over the world. Some projects also involve collaboration.

I wasn't making much money from it. It was bearable before but covid was the last straw that broke the camel's back. Before the lockdowns I didn't even have up to 500 naira to my name. I couldnt further on with it. It's lucrative if you have solid capital and marketing. Capital for land precisely on the island where the big clients and access to very genuine auto parts. There's also a lot of software to pay and subscribe for especially for the newer cars for diagnosis and reprogramming of parts and modules.

6 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by truthCoder: 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2022
ChatGPT is a tool.

I have used it immensely in the last few days to do a lot of ‘heavy load’ lifting.

It handles not only codes but everything in life. I mean everything.

If it has been written on before, it has a probability of being on chatGPT.

I had a serious discussion with it on colonialism and the evil things done during that time. I asked it about the Sokoto expedition right after i asked it about Lugard. It initially painted Lugard as a good guy but I questioned it based on the logic of responsibility. It first denied Lugard gave explicit orders to massacre the Sokoto indigenes but had to agreement that Lugard led the expedition so would have given the orders. It finally concluded that Lugard was responsible for giving the orders

I also asked it about the Uli strip. It first denied that a strip called Uli ever existed. So i asked it about Annabelle (which was the code name for the air strip) and its eventual capture by the federal forces. It then agreed that truly, Uli strip existed.

Unfortunately, it has been getting slower lately and i hope the servers are ramped up as this tech would replace Google search very soon.

Imagine an open source, no-ad AI that we all can inquire from.

Peace

8 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 5:17pm On Dec 12, 2022
Studymore123:

I don't see any critical impact. I see it more as a collaborator just like any other tech. Coding is basically a tool to develop app, websites and software. What we really need are software engineers who can focus on other complexities.
We need more Engineers. There are less than 20 million engineers in the world. Less than 0.2% of the world is working on developing technologies and solutions for the future. That number is way too low. We've got lots of problems to solve.

The present tech layoffs have taught many people lessons, some of the best developers lost their jobs not because of incompetence but
1. simply because there was no work for them to do and
2. the big tech companies are not as efficient as many people think.

My advice is always to have a side gig.
Your second paragraph contradicts the first. If 0.2% of the world are developing solutions for the future and the number is low, why then did you call it surplus in the second point?

Of course, engineers will always be needed, but no one can predict how smart these systems will be in the future. History in the machine learning space has shown that more clean data available yields result. Have you imagined what this OpenAI initiative will be capable of in the next 10 years? That is what no one can fathom just yet. But for sure, it's a whole new level to this tech game
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2022
airsaylongcome:
I read a response on Reddit to a similar question. The response said:

“Should mathematicians be worried about the digital calculator?

Nope. It helps to calculate the minutia more quickly allowing their brains to focus on the more difficult aspects of equations.

This may help you to nail that async function you just can't seem to figure out and slow you to focus your time on the more human aspects of the job.”

And it makes a lot of sense. ChatGPT is just a tool much like Google is a tool. It will allow devs to focus on the more complicated high level stuff such as program design leaving the mundane low-level of writing actual code to something that can be automated
This is a brilliant take. For example, I tried inputting most commonly asked Coding interview questions intelligently, and I was getting well explained code with description. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 5:28pm On Dec 12, 2022
truthCoder:
ChatGPT is a tool.

I have used it immensely in the last few days to do a lot of ‘heavy load’ lifting.

It handles not only codes but everything in life. I mean everything.

If it has been written on before, it has a probability of being on chatGPT.

I had a serious discussion with it on colonialism and the evil things done during that time. I asked it about the Sokoto expedition right after i asked it about Lugard. It initially painted Lugard as a good guy but I questioned it based on the logic of responsibility. It first denied Lugard gave explicit orders to massacre the Sokoto indigenes but had to agreement that Lugard led the expedition so would have given the orders. It finally concluded that Lugard was responsible for giving the orders

I also asked it about the Uli strip. It first denied that a strip called Uli ever existed. So i asked it about Annabelle (which was the code name for the air strip) and its eventual capture by the federal forces. It then agreed that truly, Uli strip existed.

Unfortunately, it has been getting slower lately and i hope the servers are ramped up as this tech would replace Google search very soon.

Imagine an open source, no-ad AI that we all can inquire from.

Peace
Opensource has been the neck witch to major Product companies cheesy. Elon Musk was one of the early founders of the company. As I read, he left when they decided to make it open source and Microsoft Invested $1b into it(they had their own interest, no surprise to Copilot on github).
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 12, 2022
Hannania:
Your second paragraph contradicts the first. If 0.2% of the world are developing solutions for the future and the number is low, why then did you call it surplus in the second point?

Of course, engineers will always be needed, but no one can predict how smart these systems will be in the future. History in the machine learning space has shown that more clean data available yields result. Have you imagined what this OpenAI initiative will be capable of in the next 10 years? That is what no one can fathom just yet. But for sure, it's a whole new level to this tech game

I'm sorry for the mix-up. The second paragraph is supposed to address your view on entrepreneurship.

In the first paragraph, I was simply stating that the AI (ChatGPT) is a welcome development and should make our work easier while we focus on other things. I know the capabilities extend beyond coding. Fast adoption of AI/ML should create new jobs that require new skill set.

In the second paragraph I was addressing the need to have a side gig irrespective of what you do. (entrepreneur). The gig doesn't have to be in tech. The reason is because nothing is certain. I have interacted with a few of those laid-off, some extremely smart people who never believed they would lose their job and they gave their all to their work, but they just realized that a job is what it is. A job. Getting another employment is not the issue but just realizing they can as well do something by the side.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by truthCoder: 5:49pm On Dec 12, 2022
Hannania:
Opensource has been the neck witch to major Product companies cheesy. Elon Musk was one of the early founders of the company. As I read, he left when they decided to make it open source and Microsoft Invested $1b into it(they had their own interest, no surprise to Copilot on github).

Unfortunately, chatGPT would become a paid service very soon. There are other products by openai which are fully paid for.

GitHub copilot started as a free trial before they locked it up behind a paywall after we have used our codes to finetune its training.

As long as chatGPT is free, we would keep using

4 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 11:03pm On Dec 12, 2022
truthCoder:

Unfortunately, chatGPT would become a paid service very soon. There are other products by openai which are fully paid for.

GitHub copilot started as a free trial before they locked it up behind a paywall after we have used our codes to finetune its training.

It won't be a paid service. It was a paid one when they started, Elon Musk was even with them then and had to leave when they made it open source. There would be premium services for the API, but the query will be always free.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 11:08pm On Dec 12, 2022
Studymore123:

I'm sorry for the mix-up. The second paragraph is supposed to address your view on entrepreneurship.

In the first paragraph, I was simply stating that the AI (ChatGPT) is a welcome development and should make our work easier while we focus on other things. I know the capabilities extend beyond coding. Fast adoption of AI/ML should create new jobs that require new skill set.

In the second paragraph I was addressing the need to have a side gig irrespective of what you do. (entrepreneur). The gig doesn't have to be in tech. The reason is that nothing is certain. I have interacted with a few of those laid-off, some extremely smart people who never believed they would lose their job and they gave their all to their work, but they just realized that a job is what it is. A job. Getting another employment is not the issue but just realizing they can as well do something by the side.
I'm a firm believer in the diversification of income to create wealth and I understand your point. We're just facing a paradigm shift, and it's the time new billionaires will be made or new ideas worth billions will have foundations. It takes real smart observations to know where to pitch your tent

6 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Malory: 7:00am On Dec 13, 2022
ichidodo:
The Open AI Chatbot is just a reference API and not the end of the world...Use the tool to automate your coding procedures while you focus on other things...Like bringing good ideas to life.
Hello good morning. You emailed me but I'm only using a random email address that I've forgotten about the password. What's up?
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by ichidodo: 7:25am On Dec 13, 2022
Malory:
Hello good morning. You emailed me but I'm only using a random email address that I've forgotten about the password. What's up?
I'm sorry, where did I email you?..
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Deicide: 11:24am On Dec 13, 2022
I asked it to write a code for me but it shouldn't explain it. The mumu still explained it.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by von02: 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2022
Forget all these talks about chatGPT replacing developers and the rest, this is how they hyped GitHub copilot taking over jobs from developers, but in reality it's the same developers using these tools to make development easier and developers are still getting hired, what's our major threat is the massive layoffs going on due to the hyper inflation
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by davien(m): 9:08pm On Dec 13, 2022
I asked ChatGPT to make a text based JavaScript game and it did a very good mockup of one, it's a good tool to point one in a good direction. I'll use it to enhance me learning to code or explain hard things for me then cross check with documentation or stackoverflow.

It's not going to take anyone's job.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 14, 2022
Do you guys think it'll fasten the rate of learning programming??
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by headboyprince(m): 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:
I read a response on Reddit to a similar question. The response said:

“Should mathematicians be worried about the digital calculator?

Nope. It helps to calculate the minutia more quickly allowing their brains to focus on the more difficult aspects of equations.

This may help you to nail that async function you just can't seem to figure out and slow you to focus your time on the more human aspects of the job.”

And it makes a lot of sense. ChatGPT is just a tool much like Google is a tool. It will allow devs to focus on the more complicated high level stuff such as program design leaving the mundane low-level of writing actual code to something that can be automated

bro, digital calculator is not an AI. It cant think. the thing with a.i is how it can improve and communicate like humans. wait even mathematicians jobs are not safe with A.I.... people like to underate A.I. sad
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by headboyprince(m): 4:10pm On Dec 15, 2022
von02:
Forget all these talks about chatGPT replacing developers and the rest, this is how they hyped GitHub copilot taking over jobs from developers, but in reality it's the same developers using these tools to make development easier and developers are still getting hired, what's our major threat is the massive layoffs going on due to the hyper inflation

keep deceiving yourself. so many jobs in history have come and gone. think of typewriting company, phone call centers, town criers all these jobs no longer. they were sent into extinction by tech. now A.I is an upgrade of normal tech. it can learn and think for itself, mind you its still in beta stage (under development) imagine how smart it when it be 2 -3 yrs from now, as A.I learns with the speed of light. shocked

whether you like it or not, A.I will disrupt the industry and send many developers home.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by swanpiccolo: 4:16pm On Dec 15, 2022
Talking about ChatGPT, I've read all kinds of theories and implications, like here. I guess time will tell.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by von02: 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2022
headboyprince:

keep deceiving yourself. so many jobs in history have come and gone. think of typewriting company, phone call centers, town criers all these jobs no longer. they were sent into extinction by tech. now A.I is an upgrade of normal tech. it can learn and think for itself, mind you its still in beta stage (under development) imagine how smart it when it be 2 -3 yrs from now, as A.I learns with the speed of light. shocked

whether you like it or not, A.I will disrupt the industry and send many developers home.

My brother AI can't take developers extinct, you forgot we still need the same developers to build out unexpected tools with this existing Solutions? Even GitHub copilot can't replace programmers, so we heard about no code tools taking jobs from programmers unfortunately that's not the case.
I think, this may pose a barrier for newbies not for the experienced developers.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by dapojaja(m): 6:43pm On Dec 15, 2022
Like someone mentioned somewhere, it'll start will junior dev roles and as time goes on some senior dev jobs will be affected. After a long time as AI generally will be very much advanced, bro this whole world we'll be a sorry case. There will be less need for soldiers, farmers, teachers, even musicians and househelps. Yes that's where the damn thing is going.
Eventually there'll be justification to reduce world population. It's unfortunately going to be as bad as that.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2022
dapojaja:
Like someone mentioned somewhere, it'll start will junior dev roles and as time goes on some senior dev jobs will be affected. After a long time as AI generally will be very much advanced, bro this whole world we'll be a sorry case. There will be less need for soldiers, farmers, teachers, even musicians and househelps. Yes that's where the damn thing is going.
Eventually there'll be justification to reduce world population. It's unfortunately going to be as bad as that.
You're a dev, right ?
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by headboyprince(m): 6:48am On Dec 16, 2022
dapojaja:

please tell them, most people are saying arguing that A.I is only going to make life easier and make us smarter. Not knowing it will do the complete opposite.

in the next 20 to 50 years, we'll become endangered species in the hands of Artificial intelligence.. shocked the only thing stopping A.I now is the infrastructure. and equipments once they get the required funding they need. .. it will be a sorry time for humans. cry
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 16, 2022
headboyprince:

please tell them, most people are saying arguing that A.I is only going to make life easier and make us smarter. Not knowing it will do the complete opposite.

in the next 20 to 50 years, we'll become endangered species in the hands of Artificial intelligence.. shocked the only thing stopping A.I now is the infrastructure. and equipments once they get the required funding they need. .. it will be a sorry time for humans. cry

Exactly oooo AI is slowly taking over frontend roles as of now
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by truthCoder: 7:32pm On Dec 16, 2022
A lot of people who are afraid that AI would take their jobs are not real programmers to begin with.

It is like a farmer getting afraid that a Tractor will take their job because it can plough faster and better.

Learn to decide which is your real job and use all available tools to make it more efficient

If you just belong to the pool of script copiers, then i am sorry, your days are numbered.

If however, you are more focused on the logic and management side of coding, how would a tool that will make your life easier be a threat?

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by dapojaja(m): 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2022
truthCoder:
A lot of people who are afraid that AI would take their jobs are not real programmers to begin with.

It is like a farmer getting afraid that a Tractor will take their job because it can plough faster and better.

Learn to decide which is your real job and use all available tools to make it more efficient

If you just belong to the pool of script copiers, then i am sorry, your days are numbered.

If however, you are more focused on the logic and management side of coding, how would a tool that will make your life easier be a threat?

Afraid or not, the reality is what we're talking about here. Script copying, third party modules are what make your live easier as a programmer. A farm labours job are definitely at risk the day the farm owner decides to bring in farming machineries.
Let me make one thing very clear to you. The untold reason why slave trades were eventually abolished globally were not because of global advocation, it was because of advent and advancement of machines that made it possible for slave masters to eventually let go. Imagine slavery is real job. Do you know how many people have lot their jobs?
Can you even see what's already happening in tech industry? The birth source of AI. This is not being pessimistic, its just being reasoning outside the box. Thoughtfully.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by truthCoder: 8:55am On Dec 17, 2022
dapojaja:

Afraid or not, the reality is what we're talking about here. Script copying, third party modules are what make your live easier as a programmer. A farm labours job are definitely at risk the day the farm owner decides to bring in farming machineries.
Let me make one thing very clear to you. The untold reason why slave trades were eventually abolished globally were not because of global advocation, it was because of advent and advancement of machines that made it possible for slave masters to eventually let go. Imagine slavery is real job. Do you know how many people have lot their jobs?
Can you even see what's already happening in tech industry? The birth source of AI. This is not being pessimistic, its just being reasoning outside the box. Thoughtfully.

I like your response. Yes farm labourers jobs are at risk when the tractor comes in. Now are you a farm owner or a farm labourer?

Laborious or tedious parts of a process are just necessary evils.

We are humans and the main thing that separates us from other animals is our ability to identify useful resources and adapt them to our convenience in such manners that it makes our lives more comfortable than what nature intended.

That is why we live in houses and not on trees. The main reason why we cook our food etc.

Should we now limit a chance to better development for the whole human race because some labourers are afraid of adapting?
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by truthCoder: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2022
truthCoder:

As i said here, its all about the money.

OpenAI has announced that it is expecting $1 billion in revenues for 2024.

Na who no smart na him fasting dey kill.

Now the question, would i pay for chatGPT? The answer is a resounding YES.

I dont mind paying based on my experience with it in the last few days.

It has made my job and life so much easier. Google search looks like one antique service from 1970 in comparison.

Advanced sql queries, code refactoring, process designs, back and forth discussions about a project and even i was able to write a romantic letter to my french girlfriend in french and she was just blushing grin

Many tech companies are having disruptive meetings right now on adapting this to their products

As i said earlier, na who no smart na him fasting dey kill.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 8:10am On Dec 25, 2022
truthCoder:

As i said here, its all about the money.

OpenAI has announced that it is expecting $1 billion in revenues for 2024.

Na who no smart na him fasting dey kill.

Now the question, would i pay for chatGPT? The answer is a resounding YES.

I dont mind paying based on my experience with it in the last few days.

It has made my job and life so much easier. Google search looks like one antique service from 1970 in comparison.

Advanced sql queries, code refactoring, process designs, back and forth discussions about a project and even i was able to write a romantic letter to my french girlfriend in french and she was just blushing grin

Many tech companies are having disruptive meetings right now on adapting this to their products

As i said earlier, na who no smart na him fasting dey kill.

The ChatGPT it self will not be a paid service. That's why they lunched other subsidiaries. Microsoft invested $1bn for a reason. They're playing the same game they did when they bought Github(remember they had Copilot). Presently, The company's infrastructure is hosted on Azure(owned by Microsoft ).

This thread will give you a good overview about it::

https://twitter.com/callmehouck/status/1605918585238552578?t=qTQfIfZadt0dyKwWSeYceA&s=19

Theres even an investment cap on the company, where stack holders can't get more than 100% of their investment.

PS: It does not contain data for 2022 yet!

Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 26, 2022
Hannania:
The ChatGPT it self will not be a paid service. That's why they lunched other subsidiaries. Microsoft invested $1bn for a reason. They're playing the same game they did when they bought Github(remember they had Copilot). Presently, The company's infrastructure is hosted on Azure(owned by Microsoft ).

https://twitter.com/callmehouck/status/1605918585238552578?t=qTQfIfZadt0dyKwWSeYceA&s=19

Theres even an investment cap on the company, where stack holders can't get more than 100% of their investment.

Nothing in the screenshots suggests ChatGPT will always be free. Sam had already said it will be monetized. This will be a “capped profit”. OpenAI’s backers have agreed to make no more than 100 times what they put into the company—a mere pittance if you expect its products to one day take over the entire global economy.

Making the first taste free, so to speak, was just a brilliant marketing strategy.
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by Hannania(m): 11:59pm On Dec 26, 2022
Studymore123:

Nothing in the screenshots suggests ChatGPT will always be free. Sam had already said it will be monetized. This will be a “capped profit”. OpenAI’s backers have agreed to make no more than 100 times what they put into the company—a mere pittance if you expect its products to one day take over the entire global economy.

Making the first taste free, so to speak, was just a brilliant marketing strategy.
Please follow the tweet and read it. It very much detailed enough
Re: Let's Talk About OpenAI ChatGPT. What's The Future of Developers ? by studyless123: 11:54pm On Feb 02, 2023
Hannania:

I rebutted your claim earlier. Now you know it's a paid service.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

250 Free Udemy Courses. Yes, Free. / Top 13 Websites To Learn Ethical Hacking Like A Pro / Advice Needed On Which Niit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.