Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists (22709 Views)

My Girlfriend Wants Us To Wear Same Attire To Her Niece traditional marriage / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Mophasa(m): 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2022
I’ve been seeing some marriage lists with insane requirements running into millions of naira on the internet lately and there’s something that actually interests me about it.

In the generations of our ancestors when this lists were curated, 99% of the brides then were virgins and have never known any man, in fact it was a taboo traditionally to give out a non virgin wvman as a bide then.

Over the years civilization have changed alot of things where wvmen feel they’re now more powerful and have grown beyond being accountable to their families and can literally do whatever they like with their lives and bodies.

At this point, I think it’s fraudulent for families to keep insisting that non virgin wvmen should keep enjoying the same traditional marriage benefits as older generational virtuous wvmen that kept their virginity for their husbands.

The government and traditional leaders need to look into this critical issues, non virgin wvmen should be given out in marriage for a token or for free, while virgin wvmen should keep enjoying the full traditional marriage rites of previous generations.

These is the only way we can hold our wvmen accountable and also encourage them to become like the biblical virtuous wvmen like Esther and Rebecca.

As a man, I will feel cheated if I have to pay millions of naira to marry a non virgin wvmen, exactly the same amount of money and expenses that my father paid for my mum as a young fresh virgin wvmen in the early 90s.

I know some persons will disagree with me but!

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Enoch07: 12:48pm On Dec 12, 2022
Nothing concern government for this matter,make traditional rulers try see wetin dem fit do because inflation, unemployment, insecurity etc already dey government head. But OP talk true e be like say e don Tay you see virgin last that's why you dey para like this. Lol

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Mophasa(m): 12:58pm On Dec 12, 2022
angry
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by YoungLionken(m): 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
The western system of government has no right over traditional rites in wedding and burial..

On the issue of chastisement, this generation has left the old, genuine ways of their forefathers. Hence, the drastic moral decadence..

I once read a book by Ola Rotimi; "the gods are not to blame"...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by JoeNL22(m): 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
Obi....hope you are taking note?

You must review these lists when you are sworn in by may, 2023.

Nigerians, obi is the only person that can review these marriage lists. Hence let's cum out en mass and vote d person that will effect this change immediately.

This message is brought to you;
By the 2 men below.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by oluwasegun007(m): 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
grin
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by RestructureNig3: 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
We need restructuring and decentralisation of power in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by God1000(m): 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
This is outrageous

1 Like

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Victorclean1: 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
Yes supported

5 Likes

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by tk4radi: 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
Ok Oo
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by PrettyBolu(f): 11:42am On Dec 14, 2022
Some pride price do not make sense at all. One of my uncles met a woman who is from the east and wanted to marry her. This woman is a baby mama for one wayward guy o. She dated that guy and lived 6 years with the guy before they separated. I do not know what my uncle saw in that kind of woman.

He went to her place to marry her and they brought list running to N700,000. For what? For this expired thing? Our family members that went with my uncle got angry. Argument here and there. The bride pride price wasn't paid. They agreed to meet again.

When they got back to Lagos, relatives did a good job at convincing him that she is not worth it. That was how the relationship start going down until they finally separated.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Odunharry(m): 11:43am On Dec 14, 2022
Wahala no dey finish. I think the problem atimes does not come from the girls immediate family, but the extended family and village people who demand all sort of things from the husband to be.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by shantti(m): 11:43am On Dec 14, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by money121(m): 11:43am On Dec 14, 2022
Ok
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by mecuries(m): 11:43am On Dec 14, 2022
this is a family matter....why involve the government?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by grandstar(m): 11:44am On Dec 14, 2022
Isn't this greed? Greed is the problem. It isn't fair.

Who told you your mum was a virgin when she married?

I always take such statements with a pinch of salt. It's ideal and does happen more frequently than we imagine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Mightymanna(m): 11:44am On Dec 14, 2022
Gmm
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by timiade446(m): 11:44am On Dec 14, 2022
U like wahala

Why should the government interfere

If Dem interfere finish, na u go still come lament for this place

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:44am On Dec 14, 2022
Even Religious Leaders will never support you on this bro.

1 Like

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by HayB100(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
God bless you you for this bro. We should be paying millions for one borehole oh

8 Likes

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Mindlog: 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
Be looking for virgins to marry, while you are presently sexually active with different women......who you wan whine? cheesy

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by Fragility6: 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
Sad development but there is nothing the government can do. If more people start challenging the lists then something might change until then

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by havenz(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
No body force anybody to go marry for that kain family o, moreover na person way get money way join with peace of mind the think of marriage.
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by ojun50(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
Pay and marry right simple
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by tollyboy5(m): 11:46am On Dec 14, 2022
Seconded! Marriage is not poverty alleviation scheme.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by nurric(m): 11:46am On Dec 14, 2022
Better to get her pregnant first then huge discount will follow. If you know you know

9 Likes

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by hotblood001(m): 11:46am On Dec 14, 2022
Hmm..

I feel the table shaking oo

Hmm...

Live male turkeys for sale
Weighty, meaty, and healthy chunks for Xmas and New Year Celebrations

Also great for Xmas gifting to parents, inlaws, your boss, your pastor, loved ones etc

09168735267 (calls n Whatsapp)
Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by shortIGBOman: 11:47am On Dec 14, 2022
IGBO People no go gree. As I propose to my IGBO Babe Amaka, the list they gave me was over 4 million. I just tell them say I dey come. Na so I run and never look back.

Amaka father still dey call me say, make I come. The man wan finish me kpatakpata. Me wey wise, I no gree go back. I just dey Fvck Amaka for free now.

See Amaka picture below. Is She worth 4 million?grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists by ShoeWorld2(m): 11:47am On Dec 14, 2022
There are more important things to be done by government than looking into individuals marriage lists.

I sell beautiful sneakers at affordable prices

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do You Resolve Conflicts/disagreements With Your Spouse? / How Do You Work It Out With Your Low Libido Partner / Man Arrested For Defiling His 9-year-old Daughter In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.