Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. (1537 Views)

Flexbox And Grid CSS / Example To Set Border Radius Of An Image In React Native / Build A Responsive Music App By Understanding Flexbox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Devdevdev(f): 4:21pm On Dec 12, 2022
FlexBox is so underrated. I used to underrate it initially and only use it in styling my navbar, until I understood how useful it can be.

I used to be a grid fangirl but now I have ported to FlexBox. It does literally everything grid does and it does it better and easier.

This is a skeleton of an image gallery I'm working on and I used only flexbox

2 Likes

Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 5:10pm On Dec 12, 2022
lol newbie syndrome.
while they can "almost" do the same thing, using flexbox produces more verbose code than grid
the sweet spot is knowing when to use each or most of the times both to accomplish something
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by LikeAking: 6:54pm On Dec 12, 2022
Devdevdev:
FlexBox is so underrated. I used to underrate it initially and only use it in styling my navbar, until I understood how useful it can be.

I used to be a grid fangirl but now I have ported to FlexBox. It does literally everything grid does and it does it better and easier.

I can't see any skeleton image here.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by majesticguy: 11:11am On Dec 13, 2022
Devdevdev:

Just like QuoteJustOnce said, both does virtually the same thing and most times at the same pace and the same level. The key is perfect understanding of how both works and when to use them, with that knowledge you can do wonders with either of them.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Sleekcode: 11:20am On Dec 13, 2022
Devdevdev:

Seems you were the only one underrating it tongue
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Deicide: 11:24am On Dec 13, 2022
Said no one ever

1 Like

Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by davien(m): 7:10pm On Dec 13, 2022
QuoteJustOnce:
lol newbie syndrome.
while they can "almost" do the same thing, using flexbox produces more verbose code than grid
the sweet spot is knowing when to use each or most of the times both to accomplish something
flex more verbose than grid? So all the boilerplate to assign grid areas by rows and columns are less than flex?
No offense but grid is more verbose(word heavy) as unlike flex you're specifying layouts in 2 directions. Remember that flex uses align-items for verticality and justify for horizontal, grid uses both plus it's own specificity for areas, columns, rows and even to center with place-items.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by tollyboy5(m): 10:45pm On Dec 13, 2022
Devdevdev:

As a backend developer I always prefer flexbox but as the case maybe now.

I'm in a tight condition and I have to go full stack. Grid and flexbox applications are suitable depending on the task at hand.

I think grid is used for more complex layouting. I'm trying to wrap my head on core css patterns embarassed
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by emmancipated(m): 5:17am On Dec 14, 2022
I prefer to use grid for layout styling while I use flex for every other thing in between.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 10:47am On Dec 14, 2022
davien:
flex more verbose than grid? So all the boilerplate to assign grid areas by rows and columns are less than flex?
No offense but grid is more verbose(word heavy) as unlike flex you're specifying layouts in 2 directions. Remember that flex uses align-items for verticality and justify for horizontal, grid uses both plus it's own specificity for areas, columns, rows and even to center with place-items.
who needs to go through all these when there are css frameworks that can conviently handle your layout.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 10:48am On Dec 14, 2022
tollyboy5:

As a backend developer I always prefer flexbox but as the case maybe now.

I'm in a tight condition and I have to go full stack. Grid and flexbox applications are suitable depending on the task at hand.

I think grid is used for more complex layouting. I'm trying to wrap my head on core css patterns embarassed
what has flexbox got to do with backend? Just asking?
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by qtguru(m): 10:56am On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:

Flex is easier than a regular layout with non-flex, BE Devs don't have time for such nonsense as CSS.

That's what I got
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by tollyboy5(m): 11:45am On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:
Qt.guru has just Answered.

Normal backend developer would understand what I'm trying to say.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by davien(m): 12:07pm On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:
who needs to go through all these when there are css frameworks that can conviently handle your layout.
True though a thorough understanding of layout techniques will save you time and give you the ease to customize your layout.

For example, border can have a 1px solid layer but if it's coming through too strongly for whatever reason you could use a box shadow and use pixels lower than 1px. Vanilla CSS is a very good skill to have bro.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 3:33pm On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:

some firms/projects will restrict the use of any css framework whatsoever. A requirement would be vanilla css ONLY.
CSS interviews are also done in vanilla mode. Knowing any particular framework is just an "added" but unrealistic advantage
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:52pm On Dec 14, 2022
emmancipated:
I prefer to use grid for layout styling while I use flex for every other thing in between.

But you need a very good designer that understands grids and can break your design into using grids to make this seamless.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 9:07pm On Dec 14, 2022
QuoteJustOnce:

some firms/projects will restrict the use of any css framework whatsoever. A requirement would be vanilla css ONLY.
CSS interviews are also done in vanilla mode. Knowing any particular framework is just an "added" but unrealistic advantage
of course to use any css framework.effectively you need toknow vanilla css but during actual production it is more productive to use a framework.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 9:09pm On Dec 14, 2022
davien:
True though a thorough understanding of layout techniques will save you time and give you the ease to customize your layout.

For example, border can have a 1px solid layer but if it's coming through too strongly for whatever reason you could use a box shadow and use pixels lower than 1px. Vanilla CSS is a very good skill to have bro.
would u be able to use any framework without understanding how css works?
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 9:10pm On Dec 14, 2022
tollyboy5:

Qt.guru has just Answered.

Normal backend developer would understand what I'm trying to say.
oga flexbox is css and css is frontend.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by davien(m): 10:41pm On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:
Frameworks can give false knowledge for many people as they most times become familiar with frameworks than the vanilla CSS. I once saw a lady on TikTok admit she didn't know how to form a nav bar without a framework. Knowledge of fundamentals will always take you far and that's when you now use frameworks to shorten build times.

1 Like

Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by tollyboy5(m): 10:59pm On Dec 14, 2022
Arrayman:
oga flexbox is css and css is frontend.
All these newbie coders are so ignorant and arrogant.

You asked me stupid question, qtguru explained on my behalf but since it's only html and css you understand you're still typing nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 12:23am On Dec 15, 2022
Arrayman:
of course to use any css framework.effectively you need toknow vanilla css but during actual production it is more productive to use a framework.

Not true. Remember I said most firm/projects don't want you to use any framework. yea, that's to avoid vendor lock-in. (a situation where you are locked to a particular vendor and unable to switch easily)

If you had vanilla Reactjs project, its very easy to port to Nextjs or Gatsby and vice-versa. Code is mostly 99.999% the same,
just have to reorder folder structure and add required configs. Heck, it can be done automatically with code-mods (terminal commands)

But a material-ui project or boostrap project will be much harder to port to tailwind or vanilla and vice versa
You will have to rewrite the whole css from scratch manually .e.g for every mx-auto you have to do margin: 0 auto
and for every Typography.P you will have to do p {...}. It's hell.

I have been unfortunate enough to do many infrastructure "porting" (excuse my lingo) and it's not what i would wish on my enemy.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 12:29am On Dec 15, 2022
Arrayman:

Yes, in short thats what frameworks are supposed to do.
You know how to use an iPhone yes, you understand how it works to some degree for everyday use.
But do you understand the technicality of how the operating system (ios) works? boot configs? memory swap and management? processor threads etc, kernel configs etc.... hell no! You dont even need to know that to use the phone.
In short, frameworks are meant to be declarative and not imperative.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Cowbell521: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2022
Sleekcode:

Seems you were the only one underrating it tongue
She's a novice shouting about grin grin grin
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Cowbell521: 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2022
The OP can't respond to the things you guys are saying because she's confused. Yet she thinks she's the most hardworking wonna be programmer
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by DevilsEqual(m): 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2022
Devdevdev:

I am about to start my journey in this world of tech
would like you to be my mentor,please
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 4:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
QuoteJustOnce:

Yes, in short thats what frameworks are supposed to do.
You know how to use an iPhone yes, you understand how it works to some degree for everyday use.
But do you understand the technicality of how the operating system (ios) works? boot configs? memory swap and management? processor threads etc, kernel configs etc.... hell no! You dont even need to know that to use the phone.
In short, frameworks are meant to be declarative and not imperative.
no, that is not what frameworks are supposed to do, fireworks are to reduce your work load and increase your production output, if u lack understanding of the underlying language of a firework.you are most likely not to be very productive in it or at best produce poor code.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 4:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
QuoteJustOnce:

Not true. Remember I said most firm/projects don't want you to use any framework. yea, that's to avoid vendor lock-in. (a situation where you are locked to a particular vendor and unable to switch easily)

If you had vanilla Reactjs project, its very easy to port to Nextjs or Gatsby and vice-versa. Code is mostly 99.999% the same,
just have to reorder folder structure and add required configs. Heck, it can be done automatically with code-mods (terminal commands)

But a material-ui project or boostrap project will be much harder to port to tailwind or vanilla and vice versa
You will have to rewrite the whole css from scratch manually .e.g for every mx-auto you have to do margin: 0 auto
and for every Typography.P you will have to do p {...}. It's hell.

I have been unfortunate enough to do many infrastructure "porting" (excuse my lingo) and it's not what i would wish on my enemy.
which vendor lock in? Vendor lock in has to do with cloud platforms, not frameworks. Most frameworks are open source by the way so a company can modify it to suit its particular needs.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by Arrayman: 4:30pm On Dec 17, 2022
tollyboy5:

All these newbie coders are so ignorant and arrogant.

You asked me stupid question, qtguru explained on my behalf but since it's only html and css you understand you're still typing nonsense.
lemme just ignore the insults because this is nairaland where everyone can claim to be what they are not, bye and sorry for thinking I can have an enlightened conversation with you oga "expert".
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 5:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Arrayman:
which vendor lock in? Vendor lock in has to do with cloud platforms, not frameworks. Most frameworks are open source by the way so a company can modify it to suit its particular needs.

Uhmm, tell me something, so you mean a company that used e.g. Angular and is now having some sort of issues can then fork Angular and then modify the source code to suit their needs? Are you playing?
I would very much like you to modify the part of React that returns a tuple during state management and make it return the tuple and a map; so i can choose if i want to use the values inside the tuple or access the values in the map, same values anyway.
Just because AWS forked Mongodb or because Facebook created a blend of php, then every company with an issue with a framework is able to do the same, just because its open source right? You seem out of touch with reality.
Netlify recent had an issue with their CLI and how it handle requests to edge functions. it took 3 months to fix it from the date of first incidence. Heck, it's open source. I guess someone like you would have modified the source code and made it suit your needs, yes, at the snap of your fingers like Thanos.
Programming doesn't end on the couch in front of YOutube.
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 5:51pm On Dec 17, 2022
Arrayman:
no, that is not what frameworks are supposed to do, fireworks are to reduce your work load and increase your production output, if u lack understanding of the underlying language of a firework.you are most likely not to be very productive in it or at best produce poor code.

You seem to be incoherent and beat around the bush and smartly avoid questions asked. I ask again, do you understand the underlying (using your own words) language in your current mobile phone? Yes or No?
Question 2: Would you consider yourself productive enough when using your current phone or use it poorly?
Re: Flexbox Is Underrated. Here's The Skeleton Of An Image Gallery I Created. by QuoteJustOnce: 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2022
Arrayman:

You can "vendor-lock" yourself into a solution that is not even paid, absolutely free, if you build your world around that solution and then having to migrate out of it would require the whole Spartan army.
It's not until it's a "cloud" solution. It's a term that has evolved into bounding yourself with chains that now require too much of a sacrifice to unbound.
In fact, vendor lock starts from paying nada, using the free version until you are waist-deep and the only way to ease your suffering is paying for the next available tier. Tailwindcss is free, if u carry am for head like gala, u will end up paying for Tailwind UI sooner or later if care is not taken.
Simple. I'm done, Bye! Dont quote me pls.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Language Does Nairaland Use? Answer Needed. Thanks. / A Tech Startup Programmer / If You're A Programmer Come Inside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.