Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing (5442 Views)

Army Arrest 50 Fleeing Terrorists In Borno Truck / Ex-head Of State Linked To UN House Bombing / Boko Haram Reveals UN House Bomber’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by trueword: 6:20am On Aug 30, 2011
[size=13pt]UN house bomb blast: Police arrest 50 suspects[/size]

August 30, 2011
By Victoria Ojeme

[b]ABUJA—The Inspector General of Police, Mr Hafiz Ringim yesterday disclosed that 50 suspects have been arrested in connection with last Friday’s bomb blast at the United Nations House in Abuja which claimed 23 lives with 73 others still hospitalised.

He said four more injured staff whose condition was considered critical have been flown to South Africa for treatment. Four injured staff had on Sunday been evacuated from the National Hospital Abuja to South Africa.

Ringim who had an interaction with the diplomatic community at the headquarters of the Foreign Affairs Ministry said President Goodluck Jonathan will soon make a pronouncement on progress made so far on police investigation into the blast.

He also disclosed that, his office has received a number of requests for police protection from embassies in Nigeria, since Friday’s blast, assuring the diplomatic community of adequate security in Nigeria.

The IG, who was invited by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru to brief the diplomatic corps on the readiness of the nation’s security operatives to offer adequate protection, said: “The security agencies have made some arrests and President Jonathan will soon make some pronouncement in that regard because I want to leave that to him to address the nation.

“All the missions are required to request for specific assistance of security in order to feel more secured and it shall be granted as I have been mandated with other security apparatus to beef up security around all the foreign missions, the entire country as well as the whole of African region”, he said.[/b]

Speaking earlier, Ambassador Ashiru described the incident as an unfortunate one, adding that everything will be done to ensure safety and protection of all the diplomatic corps as well as that of Nigerian people.

He, however, appealed to all stakeholders to rise up and fight the new trend saying, “concerted effort must be made by Nigeria and the international community to combat the new form of terrorism affecting the whole world.”

Ashiru also assured the diplomatic corps of adequate and proper security of their embassies and personnel. “I invited the IGP to address and assure you of our efforts and for you to have confidence in what we are doing to protect you and other people in the country,” he said.

Some members of the diplomatic corps commended government for its efforts in securing and protecting their lives, assuring the federal government of their readiness to help in fighting terrorism in Nigeria.

Four more victims flown to South Africa

Meanwhile, four more victims of the bomb attack, were Monday flown out of Nigeria to South Africa, bringing the number of seriously injured who were evacuated since Saturday to eight.

The Co-ordinator of the UN Communications team in Nigeria, Sina Chuma-Mkandawire, who disclosed this, however declined to release the names of UN staff affected by the blast.

“We are not in a position to give you the names or the nationalities of those affected during the attack. What we can give you are the current figures of those affected”, she said.

Isreali govt condemns attack

In a related development the Israeli government in a statement condemned the attack.

According to the statement, “Israel is outraged by this hateful crime, whose sole purpose was to take innocent lives. We send our condolences to the Government and people of Nigeria, to the United Nations and to the families of the victims, and our wishes of speedy recovery to the injured”.

Also French Minister of Foreign Affairs Alain Juppé, in a similar statement issued on yesterday, expressed shock at the attack, describing it as a “heinous and cowardly act”, adding that France was willing to assist Nigeria in its fight against terrorism.

The statement said: “In these tragic circumstances, France reaffirms its solidarity with the UN agencies, its personnel, and with respect to their efforts on behalf of the Nigerian people. It also assures the Nigerian government and the people of its solidarity in this ordeal and the fight against terrorism.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/un-house-bomb-blast-police-arrest-50-suspects/
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by trueword: 6:24am On Aug 30, 2011
kai!! this IG is a serious comedian. We have a bunch of clowns in government. How can he claim he will provide security for the whole of Africa when he cant provide security for even one city or his own police headquarters?

Nigeria should be ashamed that some of the victims had to be flown all the way to south africa for medical treatment. Don't these eeediots in govt. feel any embarassment that the country has no adequate facility to take care of people in these conditions.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Relax101(m): 6:49am On Aug 30, 2011
Why 50 and not 49 or 77?
Why must it be a round figure., lol.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by LoveKing(m): 6:54am On Aug 30, 2011
People we should be tired by now reading all these worthless stories. did even mention anything in detail about the suspects arrested? rubbish! this is the last we will hear of this. abeg we should be searching for details not foolish talks
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by bagodin(m): 7:11am On Aug 30, 2011
Nja & her madness again,Ringim & his bunch of mediocres, I weep 4 my beloved motherland---no security,medics,light,food, etc.What a shame!
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by werepeLeri: 7:17am On Aug 30, 2011
LoveKing:

People we should be tired by now reading all these worthless stories. did even mention anything in detail about the suspects arrested? rubbish! this is the last we will hear of this. abeg we should be searching for details not foolish talks

You are really making serious effort to rule the world. LOL

You want the Police to mention in detail there investigations and reel out names of the suspects to you so soon and in an interaction with diplomats? LOL

Searching for details like what? I am suspicious you know about the bombings and you are so eager to know about those arrested.

Abeg - we are tired of all of you who use every medium to cast aspersions on Nigeria given every opportunity - una criticsm has gone nowhere, let us rest.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Rhino5dm: 7:35am On Aug 30, 2011
so we cant even treat the injured here ssmh. This absolute bullsh[b]i[/b]t.

[size=16pt]Meanwhile, four more victims of the bomb attack, were Monday flown out of Nigeria to South Africa, bringing the number of seriously injured who were evacuated since Saturday to eight.[/size]
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Bawss1(m): 8:16am On Aug 30, 2011
werepeLeri:

You are really making serious effort to rule the world. LOL

You want the Police to mention in detail there investigations and reel out names of the suspects to you so soon and in an interaction with diplomats? LOL

Searching for details like what? I am suspicious you know about the bombings and you are so eager to know about those arrested.

Abeg - we are tired of all of you who use every medium to cast aspersions on Nigeria given every opportunity - una criticsm has gone nowhere, let us rest.

Its been done before, I remember one Dokpesi being mentioned after a bombing in the FCT sometime last year.

Anyway it appears to the government is learning, albeit slowly. Now the know better than to start naming names. One only hopes that the suspected 50 provide some real leads to curbing this bombing menace and not just a knee-jerk PR response.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by jmaine: 9:28am On Aug 30, 2011
The FG fails to arrest the perpetrators they complain and label them incompetent . . . .The FG makes some arrest . . .and they doubt,complaining even more . . . .how worse could we get . . . .but the good news is that . . .those useless eediots are getting picked quietly . . . .the recent condition given to the FG by the haramites to release their members from custody attest to the fact that they are getting identified . . .Your incessant negative ramblings about every action or inaction of the FG smirks of profound stvpidity . . . .how confused could we as a citizen get . . .the utterly confused labeling others confused on a consistent basis . . . . hilarious i must say . . .
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by velo10: 10:24am On Aug 30, 2011
I trust Nigerian Police. Majority of suspects are very unconnected.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by werepeLeri: 1:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
velo10:

I trust Nigerian Police. Majority of suspects are very unconnected.

Looks like you need to be invited by the police since it seems you know who the real suspects should be.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by LoveKing(m): 1:23pm On Aug 30, 2011
@werewatever

if you keep on being this biased you'll remain unpopular and meaningless. you are just too biased, you cant even see the poo on your paymasters.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by werepeLeri: 1:34pm On Aug 30, 2011
LoveKing:

@werewatever

if you keep on being this biased you'll remain unpopular and meaningless. you are just too biased, you cant even see the poo on your paymasters.

whats he talking about?
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by velo10: 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2011
werepeLeri:

Looks like you need to be invited by the police since it seems you know who the real suspects should be.

Even a five-year old wont classify this statement as smart.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by mekaboy(m): 2:29pm On Aug 30, 2011
The Nigerian police now keep suspects in advance, they will arrest 1000 people and keep in the cell, when ever there is a bomb blast they go to their suspect roo$ and bring out 50 and show nigerians. And the case is closed, shey all nigerians want is to see arrest, so as soon as there is a bomb blast, the IG will ask, boys I hope u have suspects to cover this case, they say yes sir, ok bring out 50 suspects and show and let this case end. If they could not find the pple responsible for the bombing of their own headquarters is it the un building that they wiill find ?
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by otokx(m): 3:04pm On Aug 30, 2011
Its not just by arresting suspects; they should charge them to court but isn't this a wonder?
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by harakiri(m): 3:06pm On Aug 30, 2011
I won't be surprised if these "suspects" aren't innocent civilians they picked off the street in their "normal" raiding sprees. And they wonder why Nigeria keeps going down hill. Perhaps it's when their children, wives and loved ones die in bombings, they'll wake up. All they care about is looting govt funds. Boko haram needs to extend it's operation abroad and bomb the families,homes and cars of these looters. That would be a wake up call (but that ain't gonna happen coz the people sponsoring Boko Haram are the same people who have their families and wealth abroad and if things get too hot, there's always a private jet to get them out of the country while the nation goes up in flames).

When will the masses wake up and smell the coffee?
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Afam4eva(m): 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2011
@Mekaboy
Abeg no kill man pikin with laughter, lol.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by harakiri(m): 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2011
mekaboy:

The Nigerian police now keep suspects in advance, they will arrest 1000 people and keep in the cell, when ever there is a bomb blast they go to their suspect roo$ and bring out 50 and show nigerians. And the case is closed, shey all nigerians want is to see arrest, so as soon as there is a bomb blast, the IG will ask, boys I hope u have suspects to cover this case, they say yes sir, ok bring out 50 suspects and show and let this case end. If they could not find the pple responsible for the bombing of their own headquarters is it the un building that they wiill find ?

This isn't far from the truth coz i once watched the popular "crime fighters" episode and two robbers and "their weapon[/i]s" were on display. The weapons included over 15 AK-47's, several semi-automatic pistols,local shot guns and pistols, grenades,gas cans,voodoo charms and a sack of bullets. And all these were alleged to have been found at the "[i]scene of the crime". . .lol grin grin cool

Na wetin person no go see for dis kwantry. All those weapons are enough to equip a rebel army. . .lol
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2011
Very Interesting that they cant go for the head of the sect that is doing all the bombing . . .  
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by iz2much: 3:14pm On Aug 30, 2011
we hope this is not a random arrest . i no trust naija police
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Fhemmmy: 3:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
harakiri:

I won't be surprised if these "suspects" aren't innocent civilians they picked off the street in their "normal" raiding sprees. And they wonder why Nigeria keeps going down hill. Perhaps it's when their children, wives and loved ones die in bombings, they'll wake up. All they care about is looting govt funds. Boko haram needs to extend it's operation abroad and bomb the families,homes and cars of these looters. That would be a wake up call (but that ain't gonna happen coz the people sponsoring Boko Haram are the same people who have their families and wealth abroad and if things get too hot, there's always a private jet to get them out of the country while the nation goes up in flames).

When will the masses wake up and smell the coffee?

There is even no need for that . . . .  They could find the people that are really doing the deed, but that is only if they wanna do such, like you said, they really dont care.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Fhemmmy: 3:16pm On Aug 30, 2011
iz2much:

we hope this is not a random arrest . i no trust naija police

Is that not how our police behaves at all times . . . . show them pressure and they will arrest innocent people.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:16pm On Aug 30, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by BBDelta(m): 3:23pm On Aug 30, 2011
Why 50 and not 49 or 77?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

IT'S TAKES IDIOTS TO BE RULED BY FOOLS, CASE CLOSE
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2011
BBDelta:

Why 50 and not 49 or 77?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

IT'S TAKES IDIOTS TO BE RULED BY FOOLS, CASE CLOSE

Cos one suspect to represent each state in America . . . .
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by tlops(m): 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2011
Relax101:

Why 50 and not 49 or 77?

that NPF for you, mass arrest of (probably innocent) suspect. they will torture them till they admit confess. I am sure most of them were arrested at the crime scene, lol
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by badmrkt(m): 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2011
how can one ever sastify Nigerians?pls lets try and be supportive for once, this will encourage our security agents,perhaps boost their morals to work effectively, Rigim well done we expect more from you.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by bejeria101(m): 3:57pm On Aug 30, 2011
mumu IGP fifty people already wetin dem do?wear t-shirt dat says i blew the UN building.wat do these morons take us for!!
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by Chubhie: 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2011
I pray that the people behind this act will come out and confess. Abi which other method remain again ni?
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by nagoma(m): 4:04pm On Aug 30, 2011
Why 50 and not 49 or 77?

Thank you my brother - exacly 50 persons came out loitering that evening.
Re: Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing by tlops(m): 4:13pm On Aug 30, 2011
badmrkt:

how can one ever sastify Nigerians?pls lets try and be supportive for once, this will encourage our security agents,perhaps boost their morals to work effectively, Rigim well done we expect more from you.
wait till you encounter NPF in action or (in-action). how were they able to arrest 50 pple, what was the strategy or 'intelligence' source involved in the arrest.

(1) (2) (Reply)

it is two countries..-- AdeMusiwa / Boko Haram Are Approaching Gombi, Adamawa As I Type This / Where Is Amaechi? A Great Lesson To Others About Back Stabbing Your People!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.