Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

How I Made My First $500 As A Freelance Writer - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How I Made My First $500 As A Freelance Writer (672 Views)

Be The Judge: A Client Vs A Nairaland Freelance Writer / 8 Habits Of A Good Freelance Writer / 5 Secret Ways To Make Money As A Beginner Freelance Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Made My First $500 As A Freelance Writer by Donraqh(m): 3:58pm On Dec 14, 2022
In my days of little beginning as a freelance writer, I joined several writing groups to increase my chances of landing a writing gig.

Was I able to get any? Yes, of course, was the pay somewhere around my rate, and did I ever get paid? These are reasons I think you should read through this piece to the end.

So I landed this gig of 3,000 words counts each in multiple 5-folds, that's a 15,000-word count gig altogether.

I was pretty new in the market so keeping to a personal rate wouldn't be that visible and realistic for some reasons I will tell you about shortly.

1) Despite being a good writer with a track record with a handful of clients in Nigeria, I wasn't established to full potential with international clients yet, so I needed a headstart.

I was at the mercy of the client's offer; he opted I go for 10 cents per word, and considering the word counts I was targeting about $1,500 and that's a lot of money in my country you know.

I went for it since it wasn't a bad one considering what $1,500 can change in my life, the offer was too good to ignore.

2) As a boarding writer looking for international relevance, I thought it was my best opportunity to move into the global market.

I was ready to do a job for free so long it will afford me social proof I could document for subsequent clients who would need my social relevance.

Those were my reasons for striking a deal.

I commenced the job in earnest and delivered each content review before the afore-agreed date with the client.

He was pleased with my work and assured me of subsequent projects ahead.

In between the job it occurred to me to ask for some money given that I've done a reasonable part of it. He told me that payment comes after the job and it was strictly his terms.

My soul sank, and I was discouraged, however, to back out at this point was not the least of the best ideas that occurred to me.

Having submitted the fourth content, I insisted he should mobilize me since I was beginning to entertain doubts that the dude was up to something.

He asked me to raise an invoice and forward it to him so he can start preparing my payment. I was delighted, I prepared and sent the invoice within a short while.

While I waited for the payment he insisted I should send in the last content for review so there won't be back and forth after payment.

I obliged and did as requested hoping to have him release my payment at once afterward.

I waited for my payment to no avail, I sent in a series of emails with no response, and I waited for two weeks without any sign of payment.

Finally, he blocked me on Facebook, I sent in emails without a response, and that was it, I was duped big time.

I almost gave up on the international job haunting, but then I met another client who needed my social proof badly to engage my service.

I sent in those jobs I never got paid for as my social proof, in no particular order I got the job at $1 per word for 1000 word counts.

I asked for up payment and he paid half of the money $500 and I was like ����, that was a breakthrough.

You know what, I've been working with this dude for the past three years and his jobs have been satisfying, I've gotten referral clients who pay my rates through him.

Bottom line

1) I was duped by the first client, but it never deterred me from job hunting, I got more aggressive in my job haunting afterward. The point here is; when it seems you had a major setback, that's when you should come back stronger and strike harder.

2) I learned to place value on myself and set a rate for my freelance business and it worked out for me.

Don't let clients toil with you, you are a content creator and not a beggar for crying out loud. No brand survives online without content so place a value on yourself.

3) Always ask for a part payment before you dive into any job, don't appear desperate to lose your side of the bargain; you'll risk being duped.

What was your experience with clients while trying to scale up your freelance writing service, have you been underpaid, duped, etc., Share your experience with us.
Re: How I Made My First $500 As A Freelance Writer by Zitoangels(m): 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2022
My first gig as a freelance writer was with a guy from Nairaland.

To be fair, this dude helped showed me the ropes in freelance writing after he saw that I had the talent. Then he gave me his rate, which was 41K words for 50K.

I finished writing the first batch of 41kwords and he paid me 45k.

I wrote the next, over 50k words in October and he is yet to pay me till now. He gave me only 15K.

Thing is, because I was frssh and desperate, he would often give me extra work from the work of other writers to edit and rework for him. And he won't pay me for them.

On my part, I didn't mind because somehow my Inferiority complex made me feel I had to do it since it was through him I landed my first gig.

After months of not paying me, he would become rude whenever I asked for my pay. He would always give me excuses. That his money is hanging, he hasn't reviewed my log work, one oyibo scammed him, some of the work I gave him were projects he asked me to tweak, etc.

Anyway, the brighter side is that the experience I garnered from working under him helped expand my scope in the area of freelance writing. Though I feel cheated in a way for not getting my pay after writing over 50K words for him, but I am focused into turning that as a strength and use it to land better clients in future.

Please, in case you need someone to help you write, I am available. Landing clients as a newbie in content writing is real tough work

1 Like

Re: How I Made My First $500 As A Freelance Writer by Donraqh(m): 5:38pm On Dec 14, 2022
Zitoangels:
My first gig as a freelance writer was with a guy from Nairaland.

To be fair, this dude helped showed me the ropes in freelance writing after he saw that I had the talent. Then he gave me his rate, which was 41K words for 50K.

I finished writing the first batch of 41kwords and he paid me 45k.

I wrote the next, over 50k words in October and he is yet to pay me till now. He gave me only 15K.

Thing is, because I was frssh and desperate, he would often give me extra work from the work of other writers to edit and rework for him. And he won't pay me for them.

On my part, I didn't mind because somehow my Inferiority complex made me feel I had to do it since it was through him I landed my first gig.

After months of not paying me, he would become rude whenever I asked for my pay. He would always give me excuses. That his money is hanging, he hasn't reviewed my log work, one oyibo scammed him, some of the work I gave him were projects he asked me to tweak, etc.

Anyway, the brighter side is that the experience I garnered from working under him helped expand my scope in the area of freelance writing. Though I feel cheated in a way for not getting my pay after writing over 50K words for him, but I am focused into turning that as a strength and use it to land better clients in future.

Please, in case you need someone to help you write, I am available. Landing clients as a newbie in content writing is real tough work

That was loads of experience going for you. Nigerian clients are the most difficult group you can ever deal with, however, they are worth it for starters looking to establish their feet.

There's this trait with clients to toil with your intelligence, but often you've got taken in whatever to stay afloat in your little days.

Thereafter, define your path, fix a rate and stand by it, that's the way to go. Do not appear desperate else you won't like the outcome.

Most clients treat writers as though they're doing them a favor, but the reverse is often the case.

Place a value on yourself like an asset that you are, writing is such an honorable profession that must be treated with every respect it deserves.

Bonus tip;

Sign up for an account on Linked In, and optimize your profile to reflect who you are.

Start connecting with brands, editors and resource persons in front-end organizations you perceive could need your service.

Having established formality, shoot your shots afterward. Don't forget to send out cold mails inquiring about writing service, do this often as the more the brighter your chances.

Keep your social relevance handy as they'll require it to vouch for your expertise.

I'll reach out when necessary, good luck and warmest regards.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Entertainment To You Is?books,music,movies. / Script Writer Needs Buyers / Project Management Topics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.