Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,423 members, 7,836,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live - Foreign Affairs (1032) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live (649019 Views)

World News! Events Happening Around The World / Russia - Ukraine War In Pictures, From The Frontlines (Photos) / Russia - Ukraine War Tension: Live Updates (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) ... (1817) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Dream25: 12:09am On Dec 04, 2023
Mille:

A very useless map. A map without the great Oyo empire. I'm certain the Oyo empire in the said 1747 controlled more land than the Benin empire.

I personally have no issues with the Oba of Benin. He is partly Yoruba himself by virtue of the first king we gave to the old Benin empire.

The Oba should focus more on developing Benin city to become a capital city they can be proud of considering their past greatness and not try to claim a more prosperous city belonging to his distant cousins. And if he is a hurry to start claiming cities, he should start with parts of Ekiti and Ondo states which were actually taken from the Benin empire by the Yorubas instead of a coastal city over 300km away from Benin city.

I didn't not know immigrants who settled in a very small neighbourhood (Isale-Eko) of the state can later claim to have founded the city-state. A very annoying claim that is disrespectful to someone like me whose both maternal grandparents and hence ancestors were both Aworis of Lagos origin. The Italians can as well claim to have founded New York City by just settling in the East Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan.

Everybody is just trying to claim this Lagos sha. I wonder what stops them from creating "a Lagos" in one of their native states.
Like seriously, it's irritating and this is coming from someone with both Awori and Bini roots...

I don't wish for this beautiful thread to turn to something else but I just want to drop this fact..

Lagos as part and parcel of Yorubaland is not even up for a debate, the subject is not even on the table... 💯

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Mille: 12:15am On Dec 04, 2023
Procashtips:

Learner lol. grin

Show us your own map that shows Oyo empire and can be backed by historical fact and figures

There is no need for useless maps. Dwelling on the past will be useless to me. To think I want to even start the comparison of a very tiny kingdom the size of Ibadan (if we can call it a kingdom sef) Oyo was greater than military and economically.

Oyo's power can be seen in several successful cities across 3 countries still existing today. From Porto Novo and Ketou (both in Benin republic), Ibadan, Iwo , Abeokuta, Osogbo , Ota, Offa ,Badagry, Ilaro, Ogbomosho, Illesa, Ijebu , Iwo, Gbongan, Saki, Iseyin, Ondo Atakampe(Togo) etc. Over 40 million people speak the language of the old Oyo empire across different countries.

Touted as a great kingdom, its language couldn't even survive outside of Edo state not to talk of influencing others. A supposedly great empire with no successor city or state grin (except we have to count Libya and Italy).

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Dream25: 12:25am On Dec 04, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Funny thing is that some of the dullards who insulted the great OBA of Benin are not from Lagos. Man was in Lagos, lectured the governor... nobody asked him questions or countered his claim. He returned to his palace then miscreants went to social media to insult him.
This path you're towing will destroy this beautiful thread...

Even Oba of Benin have to correct himself by saying "maybe some part of Lagos".. Notice the word "maybe", that means he's not even sure of himself...

Do you expect Sanwo olu to have stand up and rubbish the Oba?.. That would've been too far for an omoluabi, considering the Oba of Bini himself is a Yoruba man... The Oba end up disgracing himself instead of being dignified...

Lagos is not even up for a debate...
I mean look at Lagos, does it look like a place Yoruba is fighting for it control?? cheesy We Boss and control it and there's nothing you or any Oba can do...

"Funny thing is that some of the dullards who insulted the great OBA of Benin are not from Lagos"..

I bolded the above because you guys have made it an habit of writing that everytime you've nothing to say...

I made sure to reply and correct you as someone with both Awori and Bini parentage...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 12:43am On Dec 04, 2023
Mille:

A very useless map. A map without the great Oyo empire. I'm certain the Oyo empire in the said 1747 controlled more land than the Benin empire.

I personally have no issues with the Oba of Benin. He is partly Yoruba himself by virtue of the first king we gave to the old Benin empire.
1. Funny how I provide evidence, yet you are still debating. Man, your oyo empire is a fairytale.
2. Your "first king we gave Benin" is an other fairytale.
You can't debunk hard evidence with your unsubstantiated beliefs, it is the other way around.
3. Nobody on earth is more Edo than the emperor of Benin empire whose ancestry has been written about since the 1400's, many of you could be the decendants of migrants from Brazil or Sudan or Mali, you have no way of knowing that. But the Oba of Benin, son of a king who himself was son of a king....and so on...you get my point.
4. Which is bigger Benin Kingdom or Egypt: view 1747 map of Africa below:
https://uniquemaps.eu/products/rare-old-map-of-africa-1747-by-emanuel-bowen-pre-colonial-handcoloured-slave-trade-negroland-ethiopia-barbary-nubia?currency=EUR&variant=43501503906022&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 12:47am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:

Like seriously, it's irritating and this is coming from someone with both Awori and Bini roots...

I don't wish for this beautiful thread to turn to something else but I just want to drop this fact..

Lagos as part and parcel of Yorubaland is not even up for a debate, the subject is not even on the table... 💯
Proof that Lagos was just an other part of Benin kingdom.

Precolonial map of west Africa showing that Lagos is a part of Benin:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Instead of talking all sorts of nonesense, just bring proof. I have been doing this, but you guys seem to go blind each time I bring proof.
Proof-based talk rather than insult-and-feelings-based talk.

I like how you claim to be "awori and Bini" as if history is transmitted through DNA. You guys need to enter the 21st century mates, there is no magic in this world, only logic. What is proven is not up for debate, and Lagos being part of Precolonial Benin is what I have just proven.

2 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 12:51am On Dec 04, 2023
An other proof that Lagos was just an other part of Benin:

Stoplying:
Eyewitness writen precolonial text stating clearly that Lagos belongs to Benin:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Conclusion: Lagos and its environs were part of Benin.

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 12:54am On Dec 04, 2023
History is about evidence, eyewitness written evidence, not about your ethnic beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Procashtips(m): 1:02am On Dec 04, 2023
Mille:

There is no need for useless maps. Dwelling on the past will be useless to me. To think I want to even start the comparison of a very tiny kingdom the size of Ibadan (if we can call it a kingdom sef) Oyo was greater than military and economically.

Oyo's power can be seen in several successful cities across 3 countries still existing today. From Porto Novo and Ketou (both in Benin republic), Ibadan, Iwo , Abeokuta, Osogbo , Ota, Offa ,Badagry, Ilaro, Ogbomosho, Illesa, Ijebu , Iwo, Gbongan, Saki, Iseyin, Ondo Atakampe(Togo) etc. Over 40 million people speak the language of the old Oyo empire across different countries.

Touted as a great kingdom, its language couldn't even survive outside of Edo state not to talk of influencing others. A supposedly great empire with no successor city or state grin (except we have to count Libya and Italy).

You go explain tire, no evidence grin

Just a map, save us the sermon

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 1:02am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:

Do you expect Sanwo olu to have stand up and rubbish the Oba?.. That would've been too far for an omoluabi, considering the Oba of Bini himself is a Yoruba man... The Oba end up disgracing himself instead of being dignified...

1. It is actually people like you who disgrace themselves by their actions, and their ignorance and lack of education and manners.
2. Again, your ethnic fairytales do not have anything to do with history. History needs evidence.
3. The Oba of Benin is not a Yoruba man.
4. Since you guys don't actually know the history of the Yoruba, do you want me to dish it out to you guys ?
There is a big part of Yoruba history which revolves around slavery. Do you want me to expose it ?
I was being kind by not talking about it, but you guys always have to be disrespectful.

Let me give you a hint: when talk arose about putting history back in school curriculum in Nigeria, there was a Yoruba chief who got worried about that and quickly countered that no history telling people their ancestors were slaves should be taught at school.
It makes people feel better to talk about a mythical creature like bugs bunny 🐰 (oh sorry oduduwa) rather than the hard reality of slavery.

2 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Procashtips(m): 1:03am On Dec 04, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

Funny thing is that some of the dullards who insulted the great OBA of Benin are not from Lagos. Man was in Lagos, lectured the governor... nobody asked him questions or countered his claim. He returned to his palace then miscreants went to social media to insult him.

Miscreants grin grin grin
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Blakjewelry(m): 1:38am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:

one of major problem of you lots is same old stupid sentiment. The oba statement doesn't mean he is claiming possession. What can be taken into a healthy and educative conversation is turn into something by people who don't or do a lot of research before talking. Below is from a royal blood. She clearly states the relationship between them now is purely ceremonial.
https://www.nairaland.com/7929714/eko-row-benin-people-owned

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 1:45am On Dec 04, 2023
Blakjewelry:
one of major problem of you lots is same old stupid sentiment. The oba statement doesn't mean he is claiming possession. What can be taken into a healthy and educative conversation is turn into something by people who don't or do a lot of research before talking. Below is from a royal blood. She clearly states the relationship between them now is purely ceremonial.
https://www.nairaland.com/7929714/eko-row-benin-people-owned
To these guys "history" is all political and a means to claim special rights to the land. They no longer tolerate real history, because it takes away the argument which gives them special rights.
They run away from evidence, and would keep repeating fairytales again and again...to them, it is a fight of narratives and beliefs. Basically they want their own "beliefs" to become everybody's gospel irrespective of actual scientific facts.
Doesn't that remind you of a group in the north ? It's name sounds like "boko haram" (earth is flat).

It doesn't matter how many times it is proven that Lagos is just an other part of Precolonial Benin, these guys have a mental block. Like boko haram has a mental block about gravity and the shape of the earth.
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by TrumpBiden: 4:41am On Dec 04, 2023
WriterNigg:
⚡Senator Graham when asked about massive Palestinian civilian casualties:

"Did the American people worry about how many people died when we destroyed Tokyo and Berlin?"

Epic response. Omorrrrrrrrr see heartless souls 🙆🙆
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by sainttwist1(m): 5:46am On Dec 04, 2023
TrumpBiden:

Broooo 😂😂😂 imagine the audacity. And you have to give it to the American liberals, very gullible and senseless fellows, they're now having a romance with middle east terrorists, the irony is epic. Imagine The so called "LGBTQ community, feminists, etc" now supporting Hamas. Lwkm oo

By the way,Trump would've sent American army to Gaza since if he was the president today and whoever is the Hamas leader hiding in Qatar would be dead since.
if trump was the president, Oct 7 can never happen.

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by TrumpBiden: 6:05am On Dec 04, 2023
sainttwist1:
if trump was the president, Oct 7 can never happen.

That I can agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Xhurskid: 6:11am On Dec 04, 2023
WriterNigg:
⚡New maritime route for Israeli-owned vessels and vessels travelling to Israel.

Transport costs will increase the cost of goods that ordinary Israelis will have to pay for.
Iran have supplied these people enough tactical weapons for them to be proud,I think America and Israel knows that,which is the reason they are holding back in responding to houtith group
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:15am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:

Lagos is not even up for a debate.
I mean look at Lagos, does it look like a place Yoruba is fighting for it control??
I bolded the above because you guys have made it an habit of writing that everytime you've nothing to say...

Ambode stood up, went to the media to rubbish someone, even declassied health records of the person. Ambode is from Adamawa. No be only omoluabi na omonile.
lols.

Go to some state capitals, some of their streets/estate/roads/hospitals were named after people/towns from other states.

These people/towns from other states are not the ones in control of those roads/streets/hospitals but they're happy that historical records are preserved. Nobody is taking over Lagos, but we should not rewrite history.

3 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by motayoayinde: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2023
TrumpBiden:

Broooo 😂😂😂 imagine the audacity. And you have to give it to the American liberals, very gullible and senseless fellows, they're now having a romance with middle east terrorists, the irony is epic. Imagine The so called "LGBTQ community, feminists, etc" now supporting Hamas. Lwkm oo

By the way,Trump would've sent American army to Gaza since if he was the president today and whoever is the Hamas leader hiding in Qatar would be dead since.

You really believe what you typed up there?
Why did I think you were a little smarter than the others in your category?
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by WriterNigg: 7:35am On Dec 04, 2023
⚡The reason the US has not attacked Yemen is that it does not want to endanger Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar.

Saudi Arabia has no appetite for another war with Yemen and a ceasefire is in place.

The Houthis have already proved in the past that they are ready to attack these countries with ballistic missiles.

The US has thousands of soldiers stationed in these countries, if the US attacks the houthis, their bases will become a legitimate target.

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by WriterNigg: 7:45am On Dec 04, 2023
⚡Spot prices for Gold surpassed the all-time high set on Aug. 7, 2020 — Bloomberg
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by WriterNigg: 7:46am On Dec 04, 2023
⚡Venezuela has voted to incorporate the disputed territory in Guyana per the official results.

The disputed territory is about
159,500 square kilometers, or half of Guyana.
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Dream25: 7:52am On Dec 04, 2023
@stoplying I saw all your mentions, currently busy but trust me to reply later... From acting like a Mr know it all, you now want to make it a full time job to rewrite the history of Yoruba and Bini??..

@writernig We'll have to derail this thread a little, the stupidity and attempt to rewrite history by Stoplying have to be stopped before it become a cancer to others especially nonentities who always have orgasm at the mention of Lagos...💯

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by dermmy(m): 7:55am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:
@stoplying I saw all your mentions, currently busy but trust me to reply later... From acting like a Mr know it all, you now want to make it a full time job to rewrite the history of Yoruba and Bini??..

@writernig We'll have to derail this thread a little, the stupidity and attempt to rewrite history by Stoplying have to be stopped before it become a cancer to others especially nonentities who always have orgasm at the mention of Lagos...💯

Make una no derail the thread na. You people can open another thread for your discussions.

3 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by WrriterNig: 7:55am On Dec 04, 2023
⚡The US military is secretly supplying weapons to Israel using a British base in Cyprus.

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by WrriterNig: 7:56am On Dec 04, 2023
⚡Israel's ambassador to the UK - Tzipi Hotovely claims "Mowasi" is a safe haven in Gaza that civilians can take refuge in.

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:02am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:

@writernig We'll have to derail this thread a little, the stupidity and attempt to rewrite history by Stoplying have to be stopped before it become a cancer to others especially nonentities who always have orgasm at the mention of Lagos.

Historical Facts don't care about your feelings or emotions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Kingsnairaland(m): 9:12am On Dec 04, 2023
WriterNigg:
⚡Senator Graham when asked about massive Palestinian civilian casualties:

"Did the American people worry about how many people died when we destroyed Tokyo and Berlin?"

This man is sick.

1 Like

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Ghostagain: 9:33am On Dec 04, 2023
Dream25:
I have difficulties understanding how I could rewrite history by quoting documents written 300 years ago.
Your mind is upside down.
History and your ethnocentric beliefs are 2 different things.
History is the study of documents written by eye-witnesses, not some fairytales. It doesn't take hours to post what I posted. It is very simple: I posted documents written by people who visited our region of Africa hundreds of years ago. What their eyes saw, is what I exposed to all. I didn't invent it, they wrote it down.
For your information, it is Benin ! Not "Bini" !

2 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by BoldBrainz(m): 10:05am On Dec 04, 2023
Ghostagain:

I have difficulties understanding how I could rewrite history by quoting documents written 300 years ago.
Your mind is upside down.
History and your ethnocentric beliefs are 2 different things.
History is the study of documents written by eye-witnesses, not some fairytales. It doesn't take hours to post what I posted. It is very simple: I posted documents written by people who visited our region of Africa hundreds of years ago. What their eyes saw, is what I exposed to all. I didn't invent it, they wrote it down.
For your information, it is Benin ! Not "Bini" !

😊.

I like where this is heading..
Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by Alamkir: 10:07am On Dec 04, 2023
WriterNigg:
⚡South Korean Air Force decided to retire its F-35A Lightning II fighter jet after a bird strike in January 2022.

The cost of repairing the aircraft was estimated at 140 billion won ($107.6 million), which exceeds the cost of purchasing a new F-35A aircraft.

Useless toys, how in the world can the cost of repair of something be more than the new one?

2 Likes

Re: Russia-Ukraine War: World News, Weapons & Battlefield Discussions - Live by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 10:24am On Dec 04, 2023
Alamkir:

Useless toys, how in the world can the cost of repair of something be more than the new one?

Na foolishness my brother.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1029) (1030) (1031) (1032) (1033) (1034) (1035) ... (1817) (Reply)

American Politics Lounge - Donald Trump Is US President-Elect ! / Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc / American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency!

Viewing this topic: Friday98 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.