Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking (694 Views)

The Black Tax: Are You Entitled To Your Sibling's Money? / Please Help My Colleague, Is In A Big Mess! / Outrage As Boy Dances With A Big Lady. See Reactions (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 12:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
I know this is not the right section but will appreciate opinions from people with knowledge on the subject matter. Tried other sections and I’m not getting replies
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 1:05pm On Dec 17, 2022
Need opinions cry
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by nicerod(m): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
About what

Baba explain to us better
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 2:12pm On Dec 17, 2022
nicerod:
About what

Baba explain to us better

I have a choice to make between tax analyst in a big four audit firm (Kpmg, Deloitte, pwc, EY) and an investment analyst in a different firm.

So I just need advice as to which is better
Cc: pocohantas
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by pocohantas(f): 2:18pm On Dec 17, 2022
lajid:

I have a choice to make between tax analyst in a big four audit firm (Kpmg, Deloitte, pwc, EY) and an investment analyst in a different firm.

Big 4s always look good on the CV, they train well and give you better prospects. I know someone who went from EY to pwc and they are still rushing him. If it were me, I would start off with a Big 4.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 2:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
pocohantas:

Big 4s always look good on the CV, they train well and give you better prospects. I know someone who went from EY to pwc and they are still rushing him. If it were me, I would start off with a Big 4.

Ok thanks
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by nicerod(m): 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
lajid:

It depends on what u want .

Think the tax analyst will be ok for u
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by Janedoe27: 8:09am On Dec 18, 2022
Honestly if it’s not Audit in a big 4 I will advise you to go for the investment banking. As long as the investment bank is also a good place. Tax is a limiting profession and it will be hard for you to practice what you’ve learned here outside the country due to difference in tax laws. Except you are fortunate to be in the transfer pricing department as that is a new field with limited professionals. Whatever one you decide on, think long term and mobility in the job market and that should be what should drive your decision.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by Advision: 11:19am On Dec 18, 2022
lajid:
I know this is not the right section but will appreciate opinions from people with knowledge on the subject matter. Tried other sections and I’m not getting replies

If it's a large investment banking firm, please go for it , otherwise go for the big4.

Investment banking will likely give you better opportunities when compared to tax....also tax is jurisdictional in nature so if you leave the shores the country, it may be a little restricted as tax codes differ across countries. There are a few tax roles with the big4 that are global but the number is limited.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 12:51pm On Dec 18, 2022
Advision:

If it's a large investment banking firm, please go for it , otherwise go for the big4.

Investment banking will likely give you better opportunities when compared to tax....also tax is jurisdictional in nature so if you leave the shores the country, it may be a little restricted as tax codes differ across countries. There are a few tax roles with the big4 that are global but the number is limited.

Nice, it seems you are In the field. My plan is to switch to audit when I’m in.

Also the area of tax is too restrictive ( managed services - entails tax compliance, immigration tax services, payroll services. Dunno if they do transfer pricing)

My intention is to put a little pressure for them to put me in audit. That way I have better exit options.

Or better still go to another big four firm (audit).

I want something that offers better opportunities going forward and it seems audit is best for that.

What do you think
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2022
Janedoe27:
Honestly if it’s not Audit in a big 4 I will advise you to go for the investment banking. As long as the investment bank is also a good place. Tax is a limiting profession and it will be hard for you to practice what you’ve learned here outside the country due to difference in tax laws. Except you are fortunate to be in the transfer pricing department as that is a new field with limited professionals. Whatever one you decide on, think long term and mobility in the job market and that should be what should drive your decision.

What if I can get into audit? I can lobby to get audit. I hear people switch....
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by Advision: 1:17pm On Dec 18, 2022
lajid:

Nice, it seems you are In the field. My plan is to switch to audit when I’m in.

Also the area of tax is too restrictive ( managed services - entails tax compliance, immigration tax services, payroll services. Dunno if they do transfer pricing)

My intention is to put a little pressure for them to put me in audit. That way I have better exit options.

Or better still go to another big four firm (audit).

I want something that offers better opportunities going forward and it seems audit is best for that.

What do you think

Yeah people do switch from one unit to another in the big4. In Nigeria, I think its down to some politics (securing the suppprt of senior staff in both arms or a strong business case for the move you from one unit to another e.g if you have certain skill needed there.

There's a fair chance transfers may not work out if the politics or business case doesnt click. You may check with current staff as to what your chances are.

However, as audit is now known to be an emigration pathway, I am fairly sure there would be scrutiny of such requests for its sincerity.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Or Investment Banking by lajid: 5:20pm On Dec 18, 2022
Advision:

Yeah people do switch from one unit to another in the big4. In Nigeria, I think its down to some politics (securing the suppprt of senior staff in both arms or a strong business case for the move you from one unit to another e.g if you have certain skill needed there.

There's a fair chance transfers may not work out if the politics or business case doesnt click. You may check with current staff as to what your chances are.

However, as audit is now known to be an emigration pathway, I am fairly sure there would be scrutiny of such requests for its sincerity.

Ok thanks, I will explore that option. Tho someone told me it’s easier to switch to audit from one big 4 to another than from within the same four. Nevertheless, I go for it.

(1) (Reply)

God Punish Poverty!!!!!! See What Happened To This Nigerian Lady In Los Angeles! / What I Noticed About My Elderly Parent / Do You Need Cleaners At Your Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.