Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. (552 Views)

Toefl Home Edition Testing In Nigeria / Toefl Home Edition / TOEFL Special Home Edition-how Can I Write TOEFL Special Home Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2022
I had to have a toefl test done urgently for some academic need. So I decided to take the toefl home edition, it was my only option to beat the deadline.
You can register and pick a date within a week most times, and this is what I did.
I went on the website and checked the requirements: licenced windows version, appropriate OS, adequate camera, and adequate network. I did 3 tests on the website: pc OS, camera, and network. The network test failed but I went ahead with the registration hoping to take the test in the morning when network is generally better.
Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
Fast forward 1 week later. (Test fee was about 280$ paid using a virtual card at black market rate. You pay that on registration.)
Test day came.
I was set in the office as requested. Office was empty with chair backing the door, only pc, and passport, and eraseable writing pad with eraseable marker were set on the table.
I used a mobile hotspot as internet connection and proceeded.
First issue came up immediately I logged in for the test. The Proctor I.e the admin at the other end from TOEFL ran a quick test on my system and told me I did not have an up to date windows license on my pc. There was no way around it. I had to get another pc.
Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 8:16pm On Dec 17, 2022
I ran helter skelter got another pc, a macbook this time, and the test started after another Proctor came on.
He checked the surroundings and the system and commenced proceedings.
I started with the reading section and completed that in about 45 minutes.
But that was the end of the whole test.
The system failed to load the listening section until the time elapsed. I tried to reach the proctors but nothing could be done. I got no mail from the ETS (toefl organisers) thereafter regarding the issue. The only mail I got from them was before the test to notify me of successful registration. I have not heard from them till date.
Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 8:22pm On Dec 17, 2022
Key lessons:
Avoid the toefl home edition if you can. Be patient, register with a proper toefl center and take the test there.

If you must take the home edition. Ensure you have the updated windows license, ensure you have adequate internet connection, Wi-Fi is what is required.

Pray hard that no new issues come up on the day, unless you have loose money to throw away.

Ps: I have since taken the IELTS at a proper center.
Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2022
First attempt with PC.

Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2022
Second attempt with Mac same day.

Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by Kingkyle1(m): 11:40pm On Dec 17, 2022
Chaii
Re: My TOEFL Home Edition Experience. by benzmatic: 10:39am On Dec 30, 2022
Update: I sent the ETS an email regarding the developments and requested for a refund which they granted in full. Almost 2 months after the event. I feel grateful for that. I respect foreign organizations for this sort of thing. Apparently the testing has been decentralized so much so that the major decision makers may be unaware of the details of operations until they are notified. Lesson learnt.

(1) (Reply)

A Perculiar Case - How To Get Primary School Leaving Certificate / The Trial Of Dedan Kimathi By Ngugi Wa Thiong'o - Themes In The Play / The Role Of Philosophy In International Relations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.