Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,257 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence (5166 Views)

Ancient Isreal Spoke Igbo, The First Language On Earth / Do The Wolof And Egyptians Speak The Same Language? Review Of Cheikh Anta Diop W / Quick Question For Yoruba People (and Igbos Too) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Dayaa: 11:44am On Dec 27, 2022
Igbo and the Yoruba people are brothers and sisters who used to live together as members of the same community.

A simple explanation for why the discovery might be true.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2022
Osariemen12:

Don't mind them. They only claim us to get the number for their own political gains. We're wiser now. Jonathan's defeat in southwest and Obaseki's re-election bid exposed many things about their cunning nature. To be honest with you, everyone in Benin City today understands that it is better to have no political ally than to have them as one.

Before now, our votes have always aligned with them but I can't remember one project executed in Edo State by the Obasanjo administration despite our massive support. We've decided to stand alone or join forces with the old eastern region just like Delta State has done and has never regretted doing so.

We can trust the Igbo man better than them. Let them keep writing nonsense about Edo State because we rejected their evil party.
I am surprised at your outburst against yoruba. Tony Aninih was a minister of works under obasanjo. What did he do for edo? Igbinedion was your governor for 8 years with nothing to show

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Osariemen12: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2022
duro4chang:
I am surprised at your outburst against yoruba. Tony Aninih was a minister of works under obasanjo. What did he do for edo? Igbinedion was your governor for 8 years with nothing to show

And which state in Nigeria had no minister under Obasanjo? You are trying to tell us it's the minister who decides the location of a project ahead of the president.

Maybe someone will wake up one day and ask you what Aregbe did for Osun as a minister apart from announcing public holidays.

Every governor works in his own capacity with Igbinedion to no exception. What did Edo gain from our massive support for Obasanjo, a Yoruba man.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 5:12pm On Dec 27, 2022
Osariemen12:

And which state in Nigeria had no minister under Obasanjo? You are trying to tell us it's the minister who decides the location of a project ahead of the president.

Maybe someone will wake up one day and ask you what Aregbe did for Osun as a minister apart from announcing public holidays.

Every governor works in his own capacity with Igbinedion to no exception. What did Edo gain from our massive support for Obasanjo, a Yoruba man.
Tony ,Igbinedion are edo. Jonathan is from SS. They are not yoruba yet they could not do anything for Edo. One will expect you to attack them not yoruba for absence of project in Edo. Obasanjo did nothing for Ogun state too. Let us all be objective. Yoruba, Hausa, Edo etc are not the problem but bad leadership and followership.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by eagleu: 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2022
MimiSheWrote:
Lol people are really naive... You only need common sense to know that OP is making sense... Cos an apple doesn't fall far away from its tree.

Yoruba and Igbo are too close geographically not to have shared the same ancestors or language at some point... Language evolves faster than you can imagine.

If you managed to travel back in time to about 2000 years ago as an Igbo or yoruba, I doubt you would understand a single word coming out of your ancestors mouth.

The only sad thing about we Africans is that our history wasn't properly documented. Just some embarrassing mythical stories

Very true!
When a people refer to God by the same word, it might suggest that at some point they shared some aspects of their language.
Among the words shared by Igbos and Yorubas to mean the same thing, the most significant is God, Olisa, Orisa, Orisha.
Olisaemeka is the same as Chukwuemeka in Igboland---- depending on dialect.
I am sure that you have similar Yoruba names meaning God has done wonders, prefaced with Orisa----

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Osariemen12: 11:08pm On Dec 27, 2022
duro4chang:
Tony ,Igbinedion are edo. Jonathan is from SS. They are not yoruba yet they could not do anything for Edo. One will expect you to attack them not yoruba for absence of project in Edo. Obasanjo did nothing for Ogun state too. Let us all be objective. Yoruba, Hausa, Edo etc are not the problem but bad leadership and followership.

True as your words are, no one should criticise us for our present political leaning and alignment for we had no benefits in the ones we've had with the people who called us BROTHER. I refuse to agree we are though.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 11:10pm On Dec 27, 2022
Osariemen12:

True as your words are, no one should criticise us for our present political leaning and alignment for we had no benefits in the ones we've had with the people who called us BROTHER. I refuse to agree we are though.
All right. It is good to jaw jaw than to war war.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Osariemen12: 12:19am On Dec 28, 2022
duro4chang:
All right. It is good to jaw jaw than to war war.

Acknowledged. Peace unto your household.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 12:22am On Dec 28, 2022
Osariemen12:

Acknowledged. Peace unto your household.
And you too. Do have a plesant night rest
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by brainycaleb(m): 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2023
Imagine writing "èjìká" as elbow! � � � When it means "shoulder"

The writer of the book is point daft! And I'm not sorry to say!

If he needed languages to compare similarities and trace parent language for, he should be comparing Yorụ̀bá and Itsekiri language, that would make more sense and drive home the point that fees paid for his education wasn't in vain!

Yorụ̀bá pelu Igbo lóhùn lóhùn! Haba!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 8:05am On Jan 16, 2023
duro4chang:
What has yoruba done for you? I was told yoruba and Edo are related and also united
Leave these pro Yoruba/Ibo ancient relationship theorists.

All these linguistic relationship between ibo and Yoruba came to be a result of Igala influx into Eastern Region. And the time frame is about six hundred years or thereabout.

There is no iota of doubt about this fact. Core linguistic comparison between Yoruba and Ibo is farfetched.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 8:52am On Jan 16, 2023
Olu317:

All these linguistic relationship between ibo and Yoruba came to be a result of Igala influx into Eastern Region. And the time frame is about six hundred years or thereabout.

There is no iota of doubt about this fact. Core linguistic comparison between Yoruba and Ibo is farfetched.
That means both tribes have nothing in common

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by UGBE634: 9:37am On Jan 16, 2023
Olu317:

Igala not Edo, thank you because some of the words for something as basic as body parts,sleep,disease etc between Edo and yoruba/Igbo seem to be starkly different

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 10:50am On Jan 16, 2023
duro4chang:
That means both tribes have nothing in common
I will never never state such. But certainly, people who fled Igodomigodo during Oranyan invasion were a bridge between Yoruba and Ibo/Eastern Igbo. The Kaaba Igala interaction seal it more.

Infact there are Abia indgenes (some Ohafia people)who claimed they migrated from Idanre axis many centuries ago to their new homestead.

And it can be clearly understood the reason there are people trying to forcefully claim Yoruba and Ibo were of the same stock when infact, the cause of such was a result of close proximity through intermarriages. Anything outside this is on emotional basis.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 10:59am On Jan 16, 2023
UGBE634:
Igala not Edo, thank you because some of the words for something as basic as body parts,sleep etc between Edo and yoruba/Igbo seem to be starkly different
Not only Igala though, even Kaaba-Yorubas-Igaara people. Even other Edo groups are plausible to had migrated into some Eastern region.

It is absolute wrong to use few seemingly true cognates as the basis of relationship between two big ethnic groups without core study.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 12:08pm On Jan 16, 2023
Olu317:
I will never never state such. But certainly, people who fled Igodomigodo during Oranyan invasion were a bridge between Yoruba and Ibo/Eastern Igbo. The Kaaba Igala interaction seal it more.

Infact there are Abia indgenes (some Ohafia people)who claimed they migrated from Idanre axis many centuries ago to their new homestead.

And it can be clearly understood the reason there are people trying to forcefully claim Yoruba and Ibo were of the same stock when infact, the cause of such was a result of close proximity through intermarriages. Anything outside this is on emotional basis.
We learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2023
duro4chang:
We learn everyday.
Ofcourse yes, we do.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by AjaanaOka(m): 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2023
Olu317:

Who are these Abia indigenes that claim they migrated from Idanre axis? I am aware of more recent claims by Ohafia to have come from Benin. I call them recent claims, by the way, because the claims appeared on record questionably recently, and are not contained in older documentations of the Ohafia origin story.

Idanre origins in Abia, I've never heard before. Where did you source this information from?
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by macof(m): 8:21pm On Jan 16, 2023
duro4chang:
We learn everyday.
Lmao. You didn't see a better person to learn from.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by duro4chang(m): 9:25pm On Jan 16, 2023
macof:

Lmao. You didn't see a better person to learn from.
It depends on the angle from where you are looking it. The bible says we can from ants
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by seeme2(f): 10:56am On Jan 17, 2023
Igbo people came from Ile-Ife. Both the Ooni and Obi of Onitsha agree on that.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by RedboneSmith(m): 11:20am On Jan 17, 2023
seeme2:

Yoruba people did not originate from Ilé-Ifè, let alone the Igbo. Ilé-Ifè did not become an important emporium until the 11th century. By then the Yoruba and all their neighbours were already fully established linguistic units, even if they lacked collective ethnic consciousness.

You people give oral traditions and recently-fabricated stories too much credit.

14 Likes

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Probz(m): 11:32am On Jan 17, 2023
seeme2:

No. Ethiopia and even Israel are more plausible than Ile-Ife to tell you the truth. That’s how off that theory is.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 12:45pm On Jan 17, 2023
AjaanaOka:

Who are these Abia indigenes that claim they migrated from Idanre axis? I am aware of more recent claims by Ohafia to have come from Benin. I call them recent claims, by the way, because the claims appeared on record questionably recently, and are not contained in older documentations of the Ohafia origin story.

Idanre origins in Abia, I've never heard before. Where did you source this information from?
You may not had heard but people know their history. State formation is with its dynamism.

And I expect people to do more research here on any information being posted on what I posted on Ohaafia people. It is important to note here that the whole of Ohafia didn't come from Idanre axis.

And importantly, I didn't posit here that Ohafia are Yorubas but that historically, some groups are posited to had migrated from Yoruba axis

My question is,how intelligible is Ohaafia dialect is to central Ibo language ?

How many other Ibo/Igbo speaking groups hears Ohaafia(spelling my be wrong )dialects ?

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Probz(m): 5:47pm On Jan 17, 2023
Olu317:
You may not had heard but people know their history. State formation is with its dynamism.

And I expect people to do more research here on any information being posted on what I posted on Ohaafia people. It is important to note here that the whole of Ohafia didn't come from Idanre axis.

And importantly, I didn't posit here that Ohafia are Yorubas but that historically, some groups are posited to had migrated from Yoruba axis

How many other Ibo/Igbo speaking groups hears Ohaafia(spelling my be wrong )dialects ?

What Yoruba axis would Ohafia people have migrated from if that’s the case?

I feel like there’s a certain synergy between certain parts of Imo State and Ekiti/Oyo Yorubas in some very distant way (purple introverted intuition tells me so) but Ohafia people are more Cross River than anything else non-Igbo. I mean, look at you. You can’t even spell Ohafia properly.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by AjaanaOka(m): 6:30pm On Jan 17, 2023
Olu317:

And importantly, I didn't posit here that Ohafia are Yorubas but that historically, some groups are posited to had migrated from Yoruba axis.

All I got from this rather circuitous part of your response is that there are no such claims of Idanre pedigree in Ohafia, otherwise you wouldn't have had any problems discussing your source(s), or at least defending the 'theory' with anthropological/ethnological/linguistic facts. Thank you.

You actually didn't answer my own question about how you came about the claim of Idanre descent in Ohafia. However, I'll answer yours. I am from Awka in Anambra State, but grew up in Enugu, where our next door neighbours were a nice Ohafia family. They spoke the Enugu Township dialect that everyone else there spoke, but when their relatives visited from Ohafia, they spoke the Ohafia dialect with them. Yes, it wasn't easy to understand them, but when they spoke slowly, it was considerably easier. We made fun of some of the differences in the way they said things. For example, when they said "Come and bathe", it sounded like, "Come and drink water". And their word for "sorry" , sounded like "vehicle" to us. All in all, I could converse with their relatives if they spoke slowly and if a random strange word here and there were explained to me.

The thing to understand about Igbo, as with other dialect continuums including your own Yoruba, is that mutual intelligibility decreases as you move away from the centre towards the periphery. Ohafia is on the periphery of the Igbo-speaking space, on the border with the Ibibioid groups. Other Igbo-speaking people in that axis (including Abiriba, Arochukwu, Item, even Bende etc) will have no difficulty holding a conversation with an Ohafia man. As you move from that periphery into the hinterland from the Ohafia axis, mutual intelligibility progressively drops, until mutual intelligibility becomes noticeably low. But nowhere along the line does intelligibility break down completely.

This is not much different from the Yoruba-speaking space, where an Ikale man may not have the easiest of time holding a conversation with an Ibarapa man, but the same Ikale man may converse with greater ease with people from nearby dialect areas like Owo or Ijebu.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 7:36am On Jan 18, 2023
AjaanaOka:

All I got from this rather circuitous part of your response is that there are no such claims of Idanre pedigree in Ohafia, otherwise you wouldn't have had any problems discussing your source(s), or at least defending the 'theory' with anthropological/ethnological/linguistic facts. Thank you.

You actually didn't answer my own question about how you came about the claim of Idanre descent in Ohafia. However, I'll answer yours. I am from Awka in Anambra State, but grew up in Enugu, where our next door neighbours were a nice Ohafia family. They spoke the Enugu Township dialect that everyone else there spoke, but when their relatives visited from Ohafia, they spoke the Ohafia dialect with them. Yes, it wasn't easy to understand them, but when they spoke slowly, it was considerably easier. We made fun of some of the differences in the way they said things. For example, when they said "Come and bathe", it sounded like, "Come and drink water". And their word for "sorry" , sounded like "vehicle" to us. All in all, I could converse with their relatives if they spoke slowly and if a random strange word here and there were explained to me.

The thing to understand about Igbo, as with other dialect continuums including your own Yoruba, is that mutual intelligibility decreases as you move away from the centre towards the periphery. Ohafia is on the periphery of the Igbo-speaking space, on the border with the Ibibioid groups. Other Igbo-speaking people in that axis (including Abiriba, Arochukwu, Item, even Bende etc) will have no difficulty holding a conversation with an Ohafia man. As you move from that periphery into the hinterland from the Ohafia axis, mutual intelligibility progressively drops, until mutual intelligibility becomes noticeably low. But nowhere along the line does intelligibility break down completely.

This is not much different from the Yoruba-speaking space, where an Ikale man may not have the easiest of time holding a conversation with an Ibarapa man, but the same Ikale man may converse with greater ease with people from nearby dialect areas like Owo or Ijebu.
You actually drifted away from the point I stated .

I do not have any problem with anyone who claims descent from any group because there is dynamism in human history.

Secondly, my source is a well known family, who can be classified as next in rank to the royal family. Infact, a male descent of that family told me this story of his family ,which surprise me !

So, there is nothing like Yoruba wanting a claim over an Ibo/Igbo territory which will never work. Therefore, probe deep into some of these people's history if such claim is false or true butheaffirm it to me to be true.

As I chat with you,my source is in the East in his home town, which I know once he comes back to his place of work, I will enquire from to pin his family ancestral name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by Olu317(m): 7:59am On Jan 18, 2023
Probz:

What Yoruba axis would Ohafia people have migrated from if that’s the case?

I feel like there’s a certain synergy between certain parts of Imo State and Ekiti/Oyo Yorubas in some very distant way (purple introverted intuition tells me so) but Ohafia people are more Cross River than anything else non-Igbo. I mean, look at you. You can’t even spell Ohafia properly.
My interviewee who is in his fifties said, his ancestors migrated from Yoruba land axis centuries ago. The said man is a traditionalist

And this man did not claim to be Yoruba before me even if he mentioned to me that his ancestral migration is from a place that is Idanre axis in Yoruba land. He is even married to an awori woman.

Though synergy willalways exist among people as long as there is mutual understanding . Besides, history from Yoruba people of Ekiti and Ilaje extraction mention the story of some renowned blacksmiths who lived in these Yoruba towns and beyond before colonial era and their identities were revealed in 1940s..

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by XAUBulls: 2:31pm On Dec 10, 2023
Napata77:
Historians and anthropologists have long known that Igbo and Yoruba are just linguistic derivatives of an original shared super language. Other language groups in Nigeria and the West African sub-region may also be speaking derivatives of this ancient super language we once shared.

Nothing proves these connections more than the multiplicity of words and meanings shared by the two ethnic groups, Yoruba and Igbo.

It also proves that there was a time when these two groups were ONE, and that Igbos and Yorubas are brothers and sisters from deepest antiquity.

By Kelechi Wachuku

Linguist & Anthropologist

This isn’t a fully comprehensive list, but these include a fair number of words and other similarities. [1] The Igbo word comes first with the corresponding Yoruba word right after.

Here’s a list of many cognates and similar words:

Animals:

ikwiikwii (Igbo) = owl
owiwi (Yoruba) = owl
agu (Igbo) = leopard
ẹkun (Yoruba) = leopard
adịdị (Igbo) =young female fowl, hen
adie (Yoruba) =fowl, hen
ehi/efi (Igbo) = cow
efon (Yoruba) = buffalo
ewu = goat
ewúrẹ= goat
azụ = fish
eja = fish
enyi = elephant
erin = elephant

Other similar words that may be the result of borrowing (Animals):

toro toro = turkey
tolotolo = turkey

Body Parts/Words Relating to the Body:

ọnụ = mouth
ẹnu = mouth
ire = tongue
ede = tongue, especially in the sense of "language."
ntị = ear
eti = ear
agba=chin
agbọn=chin
ụbụrụ = brain
ọpọlọ = brain
aka = hand
ika = finger
ikiaka = elbow
ejika = elbow
imi = nose
imu = nose
isi = head
ori = head
ụkwụ = foot, leg
-kun in “orokun” = knee
ezé = tooth
eyin/ehin = tooth
afọ = stomach
ifun = intestines
ike = buttocks, anus
ikun = stomach
ọkpụkpụ = bone/skeleton
egungun = bone/skeleton
olu = neck
ọrun = neck
ọdụ = tail
iru = tail

Miscellaneous:

ri = eat
jẹ = eat
bịa = come
wa = come
ogo = height
iga = height
obi = heart, king
ọba = king
ume = breath, energy
imi = breath
also umi in central yoruba (same meaning)
okwu = speech, word, utterance
ohun = voice, utterance
uche= mind
ọkan = mind
úgwù = circumcision
egun = circumcision (seldom used)
ọría = disease
arun/aarun = disease
also related to yoruba aarẹ and arirẹ
ụra = sleep
orun = sleep
nso nso = menstruate
osuosu = menstruate
gba= shoot in igbo
gba = kick in yoruba (used in certain expressions)
ogwu = thorn
ẹgun = thorn
re = sell
ra = buy

Similar Words (likely due to borrowing):

iba=fever
iba=fever

Possible cognates:

ikiri ụkwụ = heel
igigirisẹ = heel
akụ́ = arrow (1 of 2 possible words for “arrow”).
ọkọ = spear

Numbers:

atọ = three
ẹta/(m)ẹta = three
anọ = four
ẹrin/(m)ẹrin = four
Many Igbo words, especially numbers, are prefixed by a “ke-” or sometimes “nke” when they become adjectives. A similar process is seen in Yoruba numbers.
nke atọ, keanọ, keise, nke isii, keọkara = 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, half in Igbo
kẹta/ikẹta, kẹrin/ikẹrin, karun/ikarun, kẹfa/ikẹfa = 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th in Yoruba

Possible Cognates:

abụọ = two
(m)eji = two
Words with “-j-“ in Yoruba (IPA: -dʒ-) frequently evolved from -b-“ in Yoruba as a result of palatalization. So, words like “eje (blood)” were once “ebye.” Thus, “-ji” in “eji” may have at one point been something like “ebye” or “ebyi,” which would be more similar to “abụọ.”

Pronouns:

ọ or o= he/she/it (3rd person subject pronoun)
o or ó = he/she/it (3rd person subject pronoun)
oun/ọ or also un = he/she/it
m/mụ = I/me (1st person singular subject and object)
also mean "my" if put after, say, a noun.
aka m(ụ) = my hand
mo = I (1st person singular subject)
mi = me (1st person singular object)
also mean "my" if put after, say, a noun.
ika mi = my finger
emi = 1st person singular emphatic.
ha = they
(a)wọn = they
ụnụ = you (plural)
ẹyin = you (plural)
gini = what
ki(ni) = what
Land Features/Environment:

ala = land
ile = land in yoruba
okute/okwute = stone/rock
okuta = stone/rock
afufe = wind
ifufe = wind
oyi = cold
oyii = wind in Central Yoruba
osisi = tree/plant
ose = fruit

Similar Words (likely due to borrowing):

ọka = corn
ọkà = grain/wheat yoruba

Possible Cognates:

ji = yam
iṣu = yam
ụwa = earth in igbo
yoruba cognates (iwa, wiwa, hardly used except for in names, like Oluwa); (oni/olu = owner, “oluwa=owner of the earth”), oduduwa (great one who created the earth) (odu=great or mighty one→ god sent down from heaven in ile ife) (pg 148)[2]

Above: Oduduwa

ebe = place
ibi = place
ugwu = moutain/hill
oke = mountain
(m)miri = water
omi = water in Yoruba

Religious/Community Terms:

ute = mat
itẹ=throne in yoruba
ife = to worship, to wave, to adore
ife = love, desire, affection in yoruba
afa = divination, sorcery
ọfọ = mourning, sorcery
ifá = divination
ụlọ=house in igbo
ile/ule=house in yoruba
ilu = city in yoruba
ụlọ mmụọ/ụlọ nsọ = shrine
ileumole/ileorisha = shrine
mmụọ = spirit
ụmọle = another word for any generic god in Central Yoruba
ẹmi also means spirit, life, soul in yoruba
ọlịsa = God in some Igbo dialects
also alụshị/alụsị = minor god in standard Igbo
orisha = god in yoruba
uru = gain, profit
ere = gain, profit
efu = free (adverb)
ofo = free, as in “ṣ’ofo” (yoruba)
osi/isi/esi = cook in igbo
ase = cook in yoruba
apo=bag in yoruba
akpa=bag in igbo

Possible Cognates:

ígwè = iron
ogun = Yoruba god of iron
(eke)le = greeting
(iki)ni = greeting

Family/Interpersonal Words:

ụmụ = children
ọmọ = child
nwa=child
ewe=child, youth in certain dialects
oyi = companion, friend, lover
aayo = favorite, preferable, beloved person, favorite person, favorite wife
ọká=expert or distinguished indivual (oka mgba=wrestler)
ọgá = boss
ọgbọ = age-mate
ẹgbẹ = age-mate
“emeka bu ogbo m(ụ)” (Igbo) = Emeka’s my agemate
“egbe mi ni emeka” or “emeka jẹ egbe mi” (Yoruba)= Emeka’s my age-mate

Note: egbe is now commonly used for group, association, or guild, and in igbo, ọgbọ can mean generation.

oru/ohu = job, labor, duty, employment, slave
ẹru = slave
oke = man, male, masculine
akọ= man, male, masculine
onye = one who, who, person
eniyan = person, human
also ẹni/ọni/ ọniyan in Central Yoruba
ọni can mean “one who” in yoruba, as in “oniwaasu” (preacher/one who preaches)
nwuye = wife
-aya/iyawo = wife
nwanyị = woman, female person, wife
-aya/iyawo = wife
iko = adultery
ọkọ=husband
nta = marksmanship/hunting
ụta = bow in igbo
ọta = marksman, shooter
ịyaa = mother, aunt, term of deference for an elder cousin who was one’s nanny
iya = mother, term of deference for an elderly woman
agha = war
ogun = war
ebo = clan, kindred, lineage, tribe
ẹbi = family

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-similar-words-in-the-Igbo-and-Yoruba-Languages
The few similar sounding words do NOT mean there is a direct ancestral split between Yorubas and the entire Iboland. There is also linguistic, religion, and food interactions along the border areas with the Ibibios by the Aros and their confederacy allies who borrowed a significant style of dressing, cooking, and the Ekpe from the Ibibios and Efiks.

The seemingly shared words between Yoruba and Ibos come from the IGALA land bridge in the Kogi State axis which also has the presence of Yoruba groups. Igala is classified as a Yoruboid language (just like Itsekiri) because Igalas have direct part Yoruba bloodlines or ancestral origins as clearly stated in a 2017 Punch interview by the King or Attah of Igalaland, HRM Micheal Ameh Oboni. The Attah stated in the interview that Igala came into existence as a result of the FUSION of migrants who moved from Wukari (Jukunland) in Taraba along the banks of the Benue River to the Benue and Niger Rivers confluence in today's Kogi State where they met and fused with a significant number of Yoruba and Edo people.

The Yoruboid words were definitely borrowed into Central Ibo language from majorly the Igalas and Bini-Edos (within the last 700 years) who had contact and settled to varying degrees in the centuries past in todays Anambra, Enugu, and Delta State axis with the primitive Ibo tribes of the SE area living side by side or ethnic border points.

I read excerpts from a history book which stated that clearly that centuries back, the Igalas and Yoruba hunters went on expeditions in the Nsukka area. The Igala presence in modern Enugu is 500 years old, so, Yoruba bloodlines had contact or reached the Northern Enugu State axis long before Nigeria came into existence.

Igala even has more recognizable Yoruba words in it and is closer to Yoruba than Bini-Edo language. Take words such as Ifa (Yoruba religion and divination), Ogede (plantains), Omi (water), Iba (fever), and more with NO changes in spelling between Yoruba and Igala. Then you have words with slight changes in spelling such as Egungun and Ogun in Yoruba VERSUS Egwugwu and Ogwu/Ogu in Igala. Egungun and Ogun both mean Masquerade and Medicine in both languages. "Obo" and "Oboni" in Yoruba and Igala have the same root meaning which has to do with the female reproductive organ.

So, the Igalas are direct relatives or cousins of the Yorubas, and they are also indigenous to Anambra, Enugu, Delta State [Ebu and other Igala-associated communities in Delta North]... In additional to indigenous Igalas of Kogi State. Igalas also have relationships linguistically with the Idomas, Ebiras, Nupes, etc.
Re: Yorubas And Igbos Once Spoke The SAME Language - Evidence by XAUBulls: 3:03pm On Dec 10, 2023
Napata77:
My Submission that Yoruba, Igbo Have The Same Parent Language – Aremo

A retired Associate Professor of English and ex-Head, Department of English, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Dr. Bolaji Aremo, talks about his research findings that Yoruba and Igbo languages had the same parent language.

INTERVIEW

You stated in your book ‘How Yoruba and Igbo Became Different Languages’ published in 2009, that the two languages are historically from the same parent language. How is this so?

We can conclude that two or more languages are historically derived from the same parent language when we compare the languages and find in both of them very many basic vocabulary words that are similar in sound and in meaning. For example: Igbo imi/ Yoruba imu = ‘nose’; Igbo nti/Yoruba eti = ‘ear’; Igbo onu/ Yoruba enu = ‘mouth’; etc. Basic vocabulary words are essential words, such as words for body parts, for which every human language normally has its own native equivalents.

Thus, for instance, it is not likely that the Yoruba examples just given can originally have been borrowed from Igbo, or that the Igbo examples can originally have been borrowed from Yoruba. And so, the very many vocabulary words which are similar in sound and in meaning found across Igbo and Yoruba can only have resulted from the fact that the two languages are indeed from one and the same parent language.

What are some of the linguistic correlations manifest in the two languages to underscore the findings?

The most easily identified indication of genetic relationship between two languages is found at the vocabulary level. And as just explained, there must be a substantial number of basic vocabulary words similar in sound and in meaning which are found across the languages that are thought to be the daughter languages to a prehistoric parent language. Of course, we can also find additional manifestations of the genetic relationship elsewhere in the languages, especially at the sub-level of morphology, which deals with the structure or forms of the words.

Does it mean that the two tribes were of the same ancestral stock?

What can indeed be inferred from our historical linguistic findings is that they used to live in prehistoric times in the same community, in the same restricted culture area. But there are strong suggestions from both Igbo and Yoruba oral traditions that the two ethnic groups were of the same ancestral stock.

You further claimed that many West African languages such as Igbo, Yoruba, Bini, Ewe and Twi are genetically related. In what areas are the noticeable similarities since Yoruba is regarded as a highly tonal language?

It has, in fact, been the claim of linguists that Igbo, Yoruba, Bini, etc. are all tonal languages, and are all genetically related. That is to say, they are all languages in which word meanings are dependent on such voice pitch levels as High [/] and Low [\]. Thus, for instance, depending on the tones used, the Yoruba word ojo could mean ‘rain’, ‘cowardice’, or ‘name given to a type of male child’. Similarly, depending on the tones used, the Igbo word ala could mean (among other things) ‘madness’, ‘breast’, ‘ground’, or ‘bottom’. There must also be other similarities that can be found among them all, since the linguists’ claim is also that they are actually all genetically related. But until more thoroughgoing research like the one on Yoruba and Igbo is undertaken, we cannot say in quite concrete terms what the similarities are like between Igbo or Yoruba on the one hand and any one of the other West African languages on the other hand.

In the book, you noted that it would in fact be absolutely right to conclude not only that Igbo and Yoruba used to be one language, but also that the Igbo and the Yoruba people are brothers and sisters who used to live together as members of the same community. Historically, where did the two tribes inhabit before separation and what caused the division?

From the totality of the historical linguistic evidence available, the conclusion can be reached that they lived together in Ile-Ife. Then, of course, it cannot have been the case that some of the people living together in Ile-Ife were known as ‘’Igbo’’ and the others as ‘’Yoruba’’.

The terms ‘’Igbo’’ and ‘’Yoruba’’ were acquired not too long ago, i.e centuries after the separation had taken place. What caused the separation? The answer to that lies deep in prehistory, beyond the reach of our historical linguistic tools. What seems clear, however, is that those were times when a group of friends or relations could, from sheer love of adventure or freedom to do one thing or another their own way, decide to emigrate to some strange unoccupied lands and start off their own pet kingdom.

To what would you attribute the marked differences in the syntactic structure and the other linguistic variations in both languages if they used to be one?

Like other things which endure in time, language is constantly changing, though slowly. Therefore, if two or more groups of speakers of a language are separated and prevented in some way from communicating with one another, each of the groups will eventually develop its own version of the original language.

After a long period of time, the various versions of the original language developed by the different groups will become so different from one another that they will be mutually unintelligible, i.e. they will for all practical purposes become separate languages and there will be nothing like the original language in existence. It may be pointed out, however, that when the changes in the different versions are not so great as to block mutual intelligibility, they are just regarded as regional dialects of the original language.

Thus, Oyo, Ekiti, Egba, Owo, Ife, etc. are just regional Yoruba dialects, because their different speakers can still manage to understand one another, even when they speak the actual dialects and not the general, communicative norm (based mainly on the Oyo dialect). For the same reason, Ahoada, Bende, Ika (Western Igbo), Ikwerre, Owere (Owerri), Onicha (Onitsha), etc., are just regional dialects of Igbo. But Yoruba and Igbo, which were originally dialectal versions of the same language, are now different languages because they are no longer mutually intelligible. The original parent language, the proto-Yoruba/Igbo language, no longer exists.

Would you agree with the declaration of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, during the 2019 Aje festival that the Igbo and the Yoruba are aboriginal to Ife?

Oh, absolutely! From the available historical linguistic evidence, the Ooni must be right. I understand a spokesperson for the Ohanaeze has said the Igbo were the first settlers in Ile-Ife, and that the Yoruba later came to join them there. ....

In the book, you advised the two ethnic groups to “for the good of all, try and jettison their patently counter-productive legacy of mutual distrust and once again relate with one another as real brothers and sisters.’’ How do you think this can be achieved considering the disturbing deepening distrust and disagreement between the two ethnic groups?

It is indeed a shame that two of the most highly educated and enlightened ethnic groups in the black world, the Yoruba and the Igbo, can allow themselves and their children to be hooked on the counter-productive legacy of mutual distrust. It is very unfortunate. I think it is all political rivalry of the self-defeating type.

And they have been at it right from the Zik/Awo election quarrel of 1951, working at cross purposes ever since, even at critical moments when their working together would have steered our country away from the murky depths in which we have all been wallowing till today. I would like to believe that common sense will soon prevail, and members of the two groups will once again be relating with one another as real brothers and sisters – for the good of all!

https://punchng.com/my-submission-that-yoruba-igbo-have-same-parent-language-not-political-aremo/#:~:text=But%20Yoruba%20and%20Igbo%2C%20which,Igbo%20language%2C%20no%20longer%20exists.

https://www.africanbookscollective.com/books/how-yoruba-and-igbo-became-different-languages
Without Aremo and others getting to understand the historical IGALA connection with the Yorubas who they share a major direct ancestry with, he and others like the current Ooni of Ife will NEVER get the answer right as to why a few very clear words of Yoruboid or Yoruba origins found their way into Central Ibo language usage.

It is an open secret that Igala (just like Itsekiri) is a Yoruboid language. The similarities are very uncanny and mind-blowing! The Igalas are indigenous [for over 500 years now] to several communities in Anambra, Enugu, and Delta States (Ebu where Agatha Amatha comes from, and other Igala communities in Delta North), so, the inflow of Yoruboid words along the ethnic borders was guaranteed to happen.

Know this and have peace!

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Death Of Fulani And Fulfulde Language / Yoruba In Anioma - A Revealed Truth! / Black Americans In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.