Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN (2392 Views)

7 Prisoners Graduate With Bachelors Degree From NOUN In Port Harcourt / Can I Get A Lecturing Job In Nigeria With A Masters Degree From NOUN? / HND Or B.sc From NOUN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 10:06am On Dec 18, 2022
Hi guyz good morning and a happy sunday.

Just a quick one....as the topic implies how renowned and accepted is a certificate that was acquired from The national open university of Nigeria (NOUN) when compared to other university certificates?

Are the ratings acquired from there equivalent to that of other universities, like a situation were you have a first class graduate from an open university and another from a different but well known university, if they both find themselves in an interview, are there chances that there will be an edge for the one from the other university or they will be considered to be on same scale since they both have the same grades?

If the latter will be the case why is it that the young ones, by the young ones I mean the o'level graduates why are they not applying for it as a first choice since it will safe them d stress of sitting for several exams ie the jamb and post utme before getting admitted, likewise the expense of the fees since open university is cheaper.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Mods help push to FP so we can get a better audience.
Olawalebabs
Richiez
Fynestboi
Mynd44
dominique
Nlpmod
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by MandelaLives: 10:15am On Dec 18, 2022
First, NOUN is a federal university. That recognition alone matters a lot. But, what matters most in today's economy is what you can do, not just the certificate. So, whether you are going to NOUN or to VERB, endeavor to acquire the real ability. Thanks.

If the latter will be the case why is it that the young ones, by the young ones I mean the o'level graduates why are they not applying for it as a first choice since it will safe them d stress of sitting for several exams ie the jamb and post utme before getting admitted, likewise the expense of the fees since open university is cheaper.

I think the reason for this is that going to college is more than academics. Many young people want to experience and explore a real-world college environment (like sports facilities and other social activities) which is a very important part of education especially for a young person. Open universities are actually made mainly for people who couldn't get college education at the right time. Meanwhile, I didn't know that NOUN is cheaper than the regular federal unis. Nlfpmod should do something. I want to know what other people think about this question.

3 Likes

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 10:41am On Dec 18, 2022
MandelaLives:
First, NOUN is a federal university. That recognition alone matters a lot. But, what matters most in today's economy is what you can do, not just the certificate. So, whether you are going to NOUN or to VERB, endeavor to acquire the real ability. Thanks.

Yeah You got a point, but remember even if you acquire that real ability from either NOUN or VERB in other to hunt for a job or get employed you must have a proof you passed through a process to have that ability and that proof is your certificate, except you are talking about skills?

If you are not talking about skills what am asking is how important is one certificate when compared to the other because a rarely see people using NOUN as even their second choice.

Thanks for the response.
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 11:04am On Dec 18, 2022
MandelaLives:

I think the reason for this is that going to college is more than academics. Many young people want to experience and explore a real-world college environment (like sports facilities and other social activities) which is a very important part of education especially for a young person. Open universities are actually made mainly for people who couldn't get college education at the right time. Meanwhile, I didn't know that NOUN is cheaper than the regular federal unis. Nlfpmod should do something. I want to know what other people think about this question.

Just seeing the second part of your post, it is actually cheaper as you will only need to get to purchase a form to start your admission process, I got one around 2016, then it was 5-10k or so before I deferred it except the process has changed.

Regarding the social activities I guess they are necessary things for any one but as you said not everybody had the chance or will have the chance if they eventually apply for NOUN as NOUN doesn't offer such facilities probably they will have that in future, my major concern is the Value their certificate has in the field.

You will not want to work too hard and acquire a certificate and at the end of the day you are told that certificate doesn't offer the value you expected.

Do you know some people don't apply for open universities just because of the simplicity of its admission process?
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:13am On Dec 18, 2022
komonibo:
Hi guyz good morning and a happy sunday.

Just a quick one....as the topic implies how renowned and accepted is a certificate that was acquired from The national open university of Nigeria (NOUN) when compared to other university certificates?

Are the ratings acquired from there equivalent to that of other universities, like a situation were you have a first class graduate from an open university and another from a different but well known university, if they both find themselves in an interview, are there chances that there will be an edge for the one from the other university or they will be considered to be on same scale since they both have the same grades?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

I think you should ask the alumni. They will be in a better position to tell you about their own experiences.

Because I don't suppose many people know much about NOUN other than that it is an open university.

I don't know about the quality of their education as I have never met any NOUN graduate in my life.

I have also never worked with any NOUN graduates. I don't know whether they are discriminated against or whether their certificates are considered worthy or not.

So, I think the alumni should be in the position to know. Some of them must have looked for employment or applied for postgraduate studies with their certificates. They will be able to tell you their experiences.

But if someone seeks my advice, I will advise them to rather apply for distance learning programs of conventional universities. Top conventional universities such as the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, and many others, offer distance learning programs. Why go to NOUN and be unsure of how employers or other universities view your certificate when you can apply for similar program in a recognized university?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by hisbah2121(m): 11:46am On Dec 18, 2022
I'm a NOUN graduate. About 8 months back i secured a Job in one of the federal agency

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Curious345: 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2022
This one dey find validation ?

First cure yourself from inferiority complex, then we can have this discussion..

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by PJtech: 3:13pm On Dec 18, 2022
Nice thread... Hoping i can find a useful information here
i'm at a cross road NOUN or DLC/PT which one should i go for?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Corrosiveman(m): 3:20pm On Dec 18, 2022
Am a Noun student
It's very Relevant
Federal Certificate for that Matter

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by dandig(m): 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2022
I'm doing my Masters there, been trying to secure admission elsewhere but this whole ASUU matter led me there. I was afraid at first but hoped for the best. Thanks for the encouragement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 8:46pm On Dec 18, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I think you should ask the alumni. They will be in a better position to tell you about their own experiences.

Because I don't suppose many people know much about NOUN other than that it is an open university.

I don't know about the quality of their education as I have never met any NOUN graduate in my life.

I have also never worked with any NOUN graduates. I don't know whether they are discriminated against or whether their certificates are considered worthy or not.

So, I think the alumni should be in the position to know. Some of them must have looked for employment or applied for postgraduate studies with their certificates. They will be able to tell you their experiences.

But if someone seeks my advice, I will advise them to rather apply for distance learning programs of conventional universities. Top conventional universities such as the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, and many others, offer distance learning programs. Why go to NOUN and be unsure of how employers or other universities view your certificate when you can apply for similar program in a recognized university?

Wow thanks for the reply, just knowing this, never knew there are other universities which offers same programme as NOUN.

If I may ask, is jamb, post-utme needed in other to get admitted in those universities.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:03pm On Dec 18, 2022
komonibo:

Wow thanks for the reply, just knowing this, never knew there are other universities which offers same programme as NOUN.

If I may ask, is jamb, post-utme needed in other to get admitted in those universities.

Yes, many universities have distance learning mode of study.

I don't know about JAMB or post-UTME though.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 10:43pm On Dec 18, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

Yes, many universities have distance learning mode of study.

I don't know about JAMB or post-UTME though.

Great to know other institutions offer such too, seems the JAMB and post UTME is the issue now, I guess I will research more on that as am yet to see any feedbacks concerning them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by seunmohmoh(f): 2:55am On Dec 19, 2022
Nigerians like to suffer for everything. Because noun no stress una with admission process and na work and study, una dey complain. Don't attend noun if u will come out asking this kinda questions.

Go and hustle to enter a non_distance institutions. Let us enjoy our school in peace!!

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Fkj2021: 4:16am On Dec 19, 2022
Well, NOUN and its certificate are recognized all over the world.

I have seen individuals who have gone through undergraduate programmes in NOUN and used their certificate to get Masters scholarship and admission in foreign countries. I have seen NOUN Masters graduates getting PhD admissions to Study in foreign countries and within Nigeria. I have also seen NOUN PhD graduates becoming lecturers in different educational institutions.
If NOUN's certificate is not recognized, they won't get those opportunities to study outside with the certificate.

Graduates from NOUN have used their certificates to get employments in top organizations within and outside Nigeria.

Do you know that even at the moment, there are lots of NOUN students who work in top organizations such as CBN, EFCC, DSS, Navy, Police Army, National Assembly, States House of Assemblies, NNPC etc who later go on to use the certificate for promotion/upgrading in their various organizations.

NOUN also is the largest Open and Distance Learning Institution in West Africa with over 500,000 students. NOUN is the only institution in Nigeria that uses technology in almost all it's activities etc.

There are so many advantages of studying in NOUN such as no strike, you study at your own pace and your own time (flexibility), fees are affordable etc.

So just take a look at my assertions and ask yourself again, is NOUN certificate recognized? The answer is YES.

Please don't allow anyone deceive you as NOUN will allow you to work and same time Study. You can send an email for more information.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:10am On Dec 19, 2022
komonibo:

Great to know other institutions offer such too, seems the JAMB and post UTME is the issue now, I guess I will research more on that as am yet to see any feedbacks concerning them.

I will help you ask someone at my workplace concerning the University of Ibadan distance learning program.

I will give you feedback by evening, God willing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 7:48am On Dec 19, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I will help you ask someone at my workplace concerning the University of Ibadan distance learning program.

I will give you feedback by evening, God willing.

Thanks boss I really appreciate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 8:17am On Dec 19, 2022
seunmohmoh:
Nigerians like to suffer for everything. Because noun no stress una with admission process and na work and study, una dey complain. Don't attend noun if u will come out asking this kinda questions.

Go and hustle to enter a non_distance institutions. Let us enjoy our school in peace!!

Seunmohmoh, you see those lines I highlighted? You were actually making sense there then you started deviating on the part that was not highlighed.

You were making sense, sense I mean the highlighted part is the major reason I even opened this thread in the first place, probably I don't understand what you mean by I am complaining or maybe you are referring to someone else.

I opened this thread for people to see reasons why Open university should be a first choice and not a last option.

Why should someone be sitting at home every year due to failure to pass the cut off mark for jamb when he/she can can just enroll for open university at anytime?

Thanks for your input though.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 8:50am On Dec 19, 2022
Fkj2021:
Well, NOUN and its certificate are recognized all over the world.

I have seen individuals who have gone through undergraduate programmes in NOUN and used their certificate to get Masters scholarship and admission in foreign countries. I have seen NOUN Masters graduates getting PhD admissions to Study in foreign countries and within Nigeria. I have also seen NOUN PhD graduates becoming lecturers in different educational institutions.
If NOUN's certificate is not recognized, they won't get those opportunities to study outside with the certificate.

Graduates from NOUN have used their certificates to get employments in top organizations within and outside Nigeria.

Do you know that even at the moment, there are lots of NOUN students who work in top organizations such as CBN, EFCC, DSS, Navy, Police Army, National Assembly, States House of Assemblies, NNPC etc who later go on to use the certificate for promotion/upgrading in their various organizations.

NOUN also is the largest Open and Distance Learning Institution in West Africa with over 500,000 students. NOUN is the only institution in Nigeria that uses technology in almost all it's activities etc.

There are so many advantages of studying in NOUN such as no strike, you study at your own pace and your own time (flexibility), fees are affordable etc.

So just take a look at my assertions and ask yourself again, is NOUN certificate recognized? The answer is YES.

Please don't allow anyone deceive you as NOUN will allow you to work and same time Study. You can send an email for more information.

Thanks for the input, I guess you just dropped the hammer on the nail head.

@your last paragraph I don't want to be deceived that's why I opened the thread likewise for people who may find it beneficial.

I saw a lot of advantages of NOUN over conventional universities that's why my question, advantages like there is no particular time for enrollment, no JAMB/ post UTME cheaper tuition fees, learning at the comfort of your home, basic things like transport could be saved too and last of all it still offers the chase, why then will anyone ignore all this is my concern.

I don't know if they serve though, you can help put a light on that.

I appreciate once more.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by ThinkSmarter: 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2022
NOUN Exam standard is designed in such a way that you can only pass them if you covered 70% to 100% of the course materials.
And NOUN course materials are rich and voluminous.
Unlike few pages of handouts used in most conventional varsities.
I did my 1st degree in conventional varsity and currently doing my 2nd degree in NOUN.
It is not easy to get A or B grade in NOUN.
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Fkj2021: 2:00pm On Dec 19, 2022
komonibo:

Thanks for the input, I guess you just dropped the hammer on the nail head.

@your last paragraph I don't want to be deceived that's why I opened the thread likewise for people who may find it beneficial.

I saw a lot of advantages of NOUN over conventional universities that's why my question, advantages like there is no particular time for enrollment, no JAMB/ post UTME cheaper tuition fees, learning at the comfort of your home, basic things like transport could be saved too and last of all it still offers the chase, why then will anyone ignore all this is my concern.

I don't know if they serve though, you can help put a light on that.

I appreciate once more.

More efforts are being made to create more awareness. Awareness is what most people don't have. Efforts are being made towards that.
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by PJtech: 2:56pm On Dec 19, 2022
Pls does NOUN offer science course(like engineering)?
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Fkj2021: 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2022
PJtech:
Pls does NOUN offer science course(like engineering)?

These are the courses under Sciences. Then for PGD and Masters, there's Information Technology.

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by PJtech: 3:09pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fkj2021:

These are the courses under Sciences. Then for PGD and Masters, there's Information Technology.

thanks, when will 2023 session begin... I want to start my undergraduate

i also learnt that thier tuition fee is per semester not yearly
Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by Fkj2021: 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
PJtech:

thanks, when will 2023 session begin... I want to start my undergraduate

i also learnt that thier tuition fee is per semester not yearly

You can get your admission anytime of the year. 2023 session begins January and payment is done per semester. Thank you. You can send a DM for assistance.

1 Like

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:20am On Dec 20, 2022
komonibo:

Thanks boss I really appreciate.

I was not able to get a recent graduate of the University of Ibadan who undertook the distance learning program.

But so far, the information I got was that you don't need JAMB or post-UTME.

But that you need to register on the JAMB portal but you don't need to sit for JAMB.

The only criteria depend on your SSCE. And your SSCE depends on the course you are interested in.

For example, courses in the social sciences don't demand a credit in Mathematics. However, you must have at least a Pass. Then, I think 5 credits in relevant subjects.

In summary, your SSCE is what they need. But just register on the JAMB portal because I heard the University of Ibadan now presents their distance learning students for NYSC.

There is a friend of mine whom we graduated together at the University of Ibadan who is now working in the Distance Learning Centre. His number is not going through, otherwise I would have helped you ask for more information.

2 Likes

Re: How Renowned And Accepted Is A Certificate From NOUN by komonibo(m): 9:42am On Dec 20, 2022
BluntTheApostle:

I was not able to get a recent graduate of the University of Ibadan who undertook the distance learning program.

But so far, the information I got was that you don't need JAMB or post-UTME.

But that you need to register on the JAMB portal but you don't need to sit for JAMB.

The only criteria depend on your SSCE. And your SSCE depends on the course you are interested in.

For example, courses in the social sciences don't demand a credit in Mathematics. However, you must have at least a Pass. Then, I think 5 credits in relevant subjects.

In summary, your SSCE is what they need. But just register on the JAMB portal because I heard the University of Ibadan now presents their distance learning students for NYSC.

There is a friend of mine whom we graduated together at the University of Ibadan who is now working in the Distance Learning Centre. His number is not going through, otherwise I would have helped you ask for more information.

Gracias for the feedback.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How I Almost Lost My Life While Traveling To OOU Main Campus In Ago-iwoye / All Prospective Oau Students Post Post-ume 2009 Comment Here / Nimn Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.