Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? (958 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? / How Well Do You Understand Other Dialect Of Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by naijapikin2(m): 7:29am On Dec 22, 2022
Right now we celebrate christmas all over the world.
But how do you call christmas in your local dialect?

In my father tongue Idoma we call it "esimesi"

In my mother tongue yoruba it's "ekeresimesi"

Now you know.
Let's hear yours
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by MandelaLives: 7:36am On Dec 22, 2022
Ekeresimesi in Igbo. Surprised it's the same in Yoruba.
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Tenshades(m): 7:49am On Dec 22, 2022
Kérésìmesì in Yoruba
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:10am On Dec 22, 2022
Does anybody even use these expressions? Even old uneducated people in the most isolated villages in Igboland will not say ekeresimesi. At best what you may hear is 'kirisimaasi'.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 11:04am On Dec 22, 2022
Surely it’s easier to just say Christmas.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by cheruv: 1:44pm On Dec 23, 2022
In Igbo it is "ụ̀ká kíríīsí"... Means Christ Mass
Ụka is mass or church service whilst kíríīsí is the transliteration of Christ, implying look/gaze (at the) head

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by adeoyekay(m): 1:45pm On Dec 23, 2022
Keresimesi
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by naijapikin2(m): 6:25pm On Dec 23, 2022
I think in hausa it's called "krismati"
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 1:15am On Dec 24, 2022
All these elongated versions of Christmas are just adaptations of the word itself as the world knows it. Saying otherwise is like claiming that osikapa is an indigenous Igbo word for rice when, in-fact, Igbo and Igala (who share the term, likewise for okpa Waawa) borrowed it from Hausa (shinkafa). Not every term needs to be nichely-adapted. People in conc. villages are capable of pronouncing “Christmas.”

“oshikapa jelloffu.” It’s jollof rice, man. There’s no shame or over-ajeboness in saying it normally. There’s no harm in adding a touch of crayfish (no matter what Flo. Chinyere - as good as she is generally - says) but there’s no harm in using a term what’s just easier on the tongue.
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 1:21am On Dec 24, 2022
RedboneSmith:
Does anybody even use these expressions? Even old uneducated people in the most isolated villages in Igboland will not say ekeresimesi. At best what you may hear is 'kirisimaasi'.

Do me a favour and ask it louder for the people in t’back. Honestly, man. If I wanted a tongue-twister I’d just go with Peter Piper.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by naijapikin2(m): 1:43pm On Dec 24, 2022
Probz:
All these elongated versions of Christmas are just adaptations of the word itself as the world knows it. Saying otherwise is like claiming that osikapa is an indigenous Igbo word for rice when, in-fact, Igbo and Igala (who share the term, likewise for okpa Waawa) borrowed it from Hausa (shinkafa). Not every term needs to be nichely-adapted. People in conc. villages are capable of pronouncing “Christmas.”

“oshikapa jelloffu.” It’s jollof rice, man. There’s no shame or over-ajeboness in saying it normally. There’s no harm in adding a touch of crayfish (no matter what Flo. Chinyere - as good as she is generally - says) but there’s no harm in using a term what’s just easier on the tongue.
you have a point, but some words don't have local interpretation so we just use adaptations like the hausa "mangoro" for mango gwaiba for guava. I think that's where christmas comes in.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by RedboneSmith(m): 2:25pm On Dec 24, 2022
cheruv:
In Igbo it is "ụ̀ká kíríīsí"... Means Christ Mass
Ụka is mass or church service whilst kíríīsí is the transliteration of Christ, implying look/gaze (at the) head

This looks like your personal coinage. You should emphasise that so that readers don't go thinking Igbo people actually say this. Neither in written Igbo Izugbe nor in the spoken forms have I ever seen anyone use uka kiriisi.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by yesloaded: 3:50pm On Dec 24, 2022
MandelaLives:
Ekeresimesi in Igbo. Surprised it's the same in Yoruba.

There are some words that's almost the same with both language

Ewu: Goat
Ewure: Goat

Iba: Fever

etc

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 5:45pm On Dec 24, 2022
RedboneSmith:

This looks like your personal coinage. You should emphasise that so that readers don't go thinking Igbo people actually say this. Neither in written Igbo Izugbe nor in the spoken forms have I ever seen anyone use uka kiriisi.

Moreover only a certain number of Igbos (maybe 50-55%) are Catholic in the first place. I understand a personal pan-Igbo coinage being derived from that in the ’80s but beyond that (literally) I wouldn’t ascribe mass to anyone other than Ireland, the raggedy side of Rome and t’pope.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2023
yesloaded:

There are some words that's almost the same with both language

Ewu: Goat
Ewure: Goat

etc

Igboid, Edoid and Yoruboid languages (with Igbo probably being the oldest of all branch-derivatives, especially the Awka, and to a lesser extent Nri, prototype/s) all share a common ancestral root so it is what it is. There’s definitely more to the Igbo-Yoruba relation than what needs the eye but over-tribalism and lack of documentation means that those differences go untapped and it’s a shame.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by AreaFada2: 7:24pm On Jan 12, 2023
Probz:

Igboid, Edoid and Yoruboid languages (with Igbo probably being the oldest of all branch-derivatives, especially the Awka, and to a lesser extent Nri, prototype/s) all share a common ancestral root so it is what it is. There’s definitely more to the Igbo-Yoruba relation than what needs the eye but over-tribalism and lack of documentation means that those differences go untapped and it’s a shame.
I don talk am before say all these Nairaland Igbo and Yoruba people bickering here just dey deceive themselves. Dem be brother and sister. grin cheesy

Yoruba demon nor dey use eye see Ngozi, Nkechi, Chichi, Adaobi and co. Dem go lose their sense. Na so Chinedu and Ifeanyi dey lust after the ample back instrument of Bolanle, Bose and Modinatu. grin cheesy

Make dem resolve their fierce political competition make 9ia for settle. North dey take advantage of this division.
Re: How Do You Call Christmas In Your Language? by Probz(m): 9:54am On Jan 13, 2023
AreaFada2:

I don talk am before say all these Nairaland Igbo and Yoruba people bickering here just dey deceive themselves. Dem be brother and sister. grin cheesy

Yoruba demon nor dey use eye see Ngozi, Nkechi, Chichi, Adaobi and co. Dem go lose their sense. Na so Chinedu and Ifeanyi dey lust after the ample back instrument of Bolanle, Bose and Modinatu. grin cheesy

Make dem resolve their fierce political competition make 9ia for settle. North dey take advantage of this division.

I’m still torn between Nigeria and Biafra but yeah. Pretty much.

(1) (Reply)

Any R.o.f Member Here? / Please Help Me Out / Oyinbos Came And Stole Our Culture And Traditions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.