Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,421 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood (27206 Views)

The Most Expensive Garden Street In Owerri / 15 Most Expensive Hotel Rooms In Nigeria / The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Excelboi(m): 7:41am On Sep 01, 2011
BANANA ISLAND
Banana Island is a place of unrivalled opulence and grandeur. It’s an entirely different world from other parts of the country. It’s a gated community, and its inhabitants enjoy such luxuries as underground electrical systems and water supply networks, 24 hour-electricity supply (the only other place such privileged is the Nigerian President’s residence), extremely tight security, good road layout, a central sewage system and treatment plant and the well-cherished company of fellow wealthy folks. The island is the most expensive place in Nigeria and one of the most expensive in Africa to own a house. Property on Banana Island is dollar-denominated. The average cost of buying a three bedroom apartment is $2 million. However, if you’re just looking to hang around the island for some time, and not to buy property, you can rent the same apartment for about $150,000 per annum. But there’s a clause: you must pay for an initial minimum term of 2 years – in advance. And there are no refunds. Ever! Also, the tenant is also mandated to pay a ‘service charge’ of $17,000 per annum. A typical plot of land on the island usually goes for between $4 million and $6 million, and the cheapest building on the island costs upward of $8 million. But because of the ridiculous prices of property on the island, about 60% of the completed buildings are currently unoccupied. So, who are the people who occupy the land? The list includes multinational corporations, well-paid expatriate employees, corrupt government officials; their concubines (or mistresses), and wealthy businessmen such as Alhassan Dantata, Kola Abiola and Nigeria’s newest billionaire, Mike Adenuga.

www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Excelboi(m): 7:42am On Sep 01, 2011
$2million for a land? Mehn, this is wow!
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Vicjustice: 10:41am On Sep 01, 2011
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/
A friend of mine met a really cute Nigerian girl at a nightclub in Lagos recently. He’s got a certain je ne sais quoi with the ladies. So he approached her, chatted her up for about an hour or so, and was lucky enough to walk away with her phone number and her house address. She asked him to visit her sometime. He promised he would, but he never did.

The reason is this: The lady lives in Banana Island, Nigeria’s most expensive residential area. There are only a few privileged men who can afford to date a girl who lives in Banana Island. My friend is not yet a part of the privileged few.

If you never heard about the Island, now you know. Banana Island is Nigeria’s most extravagant and expensive neighborhood – on par with the Seventh Arrondissement in Paris,  La Jolla in San Diego, California and Tokyo’s Shibuya or Roppongi neighborhoods.

The exclusive playground of Nigeria’s obscenely wealthy, Banana Island is an artificial island built on reclaimed land in Ikoyi-Lagos. From an aerial view, the island is actually shaped like a banana, hence its name. Sitting on 1.6 million square meters, the sumptuous island is divided into about 535 plots ranging in size from 1,000 square meters and 3,000 square meters. . .
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/

While i acknowledge the fact that the Island could be skyrocketing expensive, I really don't believe the story (in the article) about the "friend" chatting up a cute girl from the Island and eventually abandoning the pursuit because the girl happened to be from the expensive neighbourhood because, i know that most guys would be glad to have such pretty (and rich girls) for themselves: so, i don't accept that a person would run away from a girl because she's rich. Period

1 Like

Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by mbatuku1: 2:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
Interesting! No wonder a Nigerian visa is extremely difficult to get. Too much oil money flying around. grin
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by oncolor: 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2011
Vicjustice:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/

While i acknowledge the fact that the Island could be skyrocketing expensive, I really don't believe the story (in the article) about the "friend" chatting up a cute girl from the Island and eventually abandoning the pursuit because the girl happened to be from the expensive neighbourhood because, i know that most guys would be glad to have such pretty (and rich girls) for themselves: so, i don't accept that a person would run away from a girl because she's rich. Period

Same here. That must be an imaginary friend. How can you hit a jackpot and you say you don't want to claim the prize.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by morpheus24: 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
eH?
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Excelboi(m): 10:33pm On Sep 01, 2011
mbatuku1:

Interesting! No wonder a Nigerian visa is extremely difficult to get. Too much oil money flying around. grin
funny
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by HighChief4(m): 2:33am On Sep 02, 2011
Really a nice neighbourhood
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by ak47mann(m): 3:08am On Sep 02, 2011
i think is over priced cos it doesn't look any different to me from some executive apartment in night bridge in London at list you get security and steady light and water and well equip medical care thank you cool
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:16am On Sep 02, 2011
Have been there several times. i had a job i was doing there, doing pavestones for one very wealthy american dude. i think the dude is a surgeon in US and has hes own practice. believe me guys i was blown of my socks when i entered Banana island. if you get a plot of land there for 200 million naira, pls count yourself lucky. wink
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by JamesDoe: 3:18am On Sep 02, 2011
Banana Island, a very expensive "slum in the making".

Sure it has good looking buildings and exclusivity, but the roads are very bad, the sewage system is poor and the gutters flood easily. There are limited entry and exit points and it is truly only accessible by a 4 x 4.

Naija na wah oh!!!
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by OgidiBoy(m): 3:18am On Sep 02, 2011
RICHIE BOI:

Have been there several times. i had a job i was doing there, doing pavestones for one very wealthy american dude. i think the dude is a surgeon in US and has hes own practice. believe me guys i was blown of my socks when i entered Banana island. if you get a plot of land there for 200 million naira, pls count yourself lucky. wink

Please next time you out there take some pics, I'm seriously thinking of buying property out there.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 02, 2011
Gosh! really need to see this place! pics abeg!
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Nobody: 3:31am On Sep 02, 2011
i have been thinking that its lekki! undecided
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by yim(f): 3:36am On Sep 02, 2011
only thieves can live there. aah wastage. grin
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by adconline(m): 4:17am On Sep 02, 2011
Make Boko Haram hear about them,
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Nobody: 4:45am On Sep 02, 2011
That will be true if only there are is no more land for sale in Asokoro.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by blank(f): 4:47am On Sep 02, 2011
During the last flood in Lagos, the flooding there was worse than other parts of Lagos. B4 d flood drained, it took a week.
Expensive slum.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by nasty45(m): 4:56am On Sep 02, 2011
2 fcukin mill dollz,sb pls got me a BUGATTI VEYRON
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by logica(m): 5:03am On Sep 02, 2011
Well, I hope they are keeping an eye on the rising level of the Atlantic.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Raphtop(m): 5:06am On Sep 02, 2011
What an imagination
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Holumighty(m): 5:30am On Sep 02, 2011
I have been there to b4, that place is wow, its not too far from ikoyi,
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Bisjosh(f): 5:40am On Sep 02, 2011
shocked blinks cheesy
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Roland17(m): 5:49am On Sep 02, 2011
That Neighborhood is the Bomb, especially after the Etisalat building. Nigerians have money oooo
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by violent(m): 5:49am On Sep 02, 2011
Girl trying to intimidate guy

Girl:  I own an apartment on the Banana Island in Lagos
Boy:  Oh! that!. . .well, I own a house on Kensington Palace, London.

In boy's mind: yo cheap árse is owned
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Nobody: 5:51am On Sep 02, 2011
I don't think you guys have been there , saying it's flooded and the drainage is bad , maybe you guys went to cashew island. Banana island has very good drainage and water does not percolate there. I'll agree if you say the road leading to the island gate is not properly drained and is usually flooded but from the gate ( even before the gate , starting from Rebecca court/Parkview's second gate ) it is always dry.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by lagcity(m): 6:01am On Sep 02, 2011
the place is more expensive than even beverly hills . sorry i'll pass.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by deeflamez(m): 6:13am On Sep 02, 2011
Yh, cool place but nothing really special,come check me up in that dry place, most of my peeps are abroad,their parents hardly even dwell in these houses and yet bills are paid for in absentia. You see evn some wanna-be(s) struggling to erect a structure too. It takes multi-billionaires to own a crib there,not mere billionaires. You hardly even know your neighbours And as for meeting ladies,hmmm, well,that hardly ever happens cos everyone cruises around in their posh cars in a snobbish manner. Next is Park View.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by Nobody: 6:19am On Sep 02, 2011
Excelboi:

BANANA ISLAND
Banana Island is a place of unrivalled opulence and grandeur. It’s an entirely different world from other parts of the country. It’s a gated community, and its inhabitants enjoy such luxuries as underground electrical systems and water supply networks, 24 hour-electricity supply (the only other place such privileged is the Nigerian President’s residence), extremely tight security, good road layout, a central sewage system and treatment plant and the well-cherished company of fellow wealthy folks. The island is the most expensive place in Nigeria and one of the most expensive in Africa to own a house. Property on Banana Island is dollar-denominated. The average cost of buying a three bedroom apartment is $2 million. However, if you’re just looking to hang around the island for some time, and not to buy property, you can rent the same apartment for about $150,000 per annum. But there’s a clause: you must pay for an initial minimum term of 2 years – in advance. And there are no refunds. Ever! Also, the tenant is also mandated to pay a ‘service charge’ of $17,000 per annum. A typical plot of land on the island usually goes for between $4 million and $6 million, and the cheapest building on the island costs upward of $8 million. But because of the ridiculous prices of property on the island, about 60% of the completed buildings are currently unoccupied. So, who are the people who occupy the land? The list includes multinational corporations, well-paid expatriate employees, corrupt government officials; their concubines (or mistresses), and wealthy businessmen such as Alhassan Dantata, Kola Abiola and Nigeria’s newest billionaire, Mike Adenuga.

www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/05/04/the-most-expensive-neighborhood-in-nigeria/
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by ogaibe1(m): 6:59am On Sep 02, 2011
If this banana island is better than beverly hills then i will move back to naija, but houses doesnt represent how beautiful the neighborhood is, the scenery, the space the type of responsible people and moreover, the way the infrastucture is planned represents how good and beautiful a place is.
Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by hostsleek(m): 8:11am On Sep 02, 2011
I work in Banana Island,

and seriously that place is crazy,

I was so tempted that i ask a real-estate agent how much it cost to rent an apartment in Ocean Parade and he said $60,000 - $80, 0000 (3 - 4 bedroom flat) Per Year. In Banana Island Properties are in dollars cos naira makes no sense lol.

I took a picture of Ocean parade while driving have a look

1 Share

Re: Behold - Nigeria Most Expensive Neighbourhood by pynkspyce: 8:32am On Sep 02, 2011
they can keep it. Would rather carry my money to old ikoyi, buy some house, bring it down and the rebuild and still carry my balance and buy a house in a diff country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Royal Air Maroc Airways Are Taking Nigerians For Fools And Needs To Be Scrapped / 30 Years After, Itakpe-warri Rail Begins Commercial Service (video, Photo) / Sunday Morning Accident At Lekki Toll Gate Leaves Several People Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.