Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? (3517 Views)

Obidients What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? / Throwback Video Of Reno Omokri Praising Peter Obi. What Changed? / Traveler Bemoans The State Of The Onitsha-enugu Expressway In Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 7:30am On Dec 24, 2022

By Chukwujekwu Ilozue
Onitsha — Anambra State Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with a firm, Globim Corporation, for the finance, design, construction and operation of monorail system in the commercial city of Onitsha.

Governor Peter Obi signed for the state government and the Chairman of Globim, Dr. Jude Igwemezie, signed for the company, during a brief ceremony at the Government House, Awka, recently.

https://allafrica.com/stories/201012010449.html

Dear Peter Obi and all Obidients, can you guys explain to us what happened to this great Onitsha monorail project?

The MoU was signed by Peter Obi in 2010 between Anambra state government and a Canadian firm. 12 years later, we are yet to see any monorail. What’s the update on this project?

can we get this to front page?

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by copyrites: 7:32am On Dec 24, 2022
Dear BAT fan boys,

Wike commissioned 11 flyovers in 24 months. Of the over 60 flyovers and bridges in Lagos state, Tinubu can't point to just one that he executed in 8 years as governor of Lagos. Can any Urchi.n give an explanation to this?

A healthy and younger Tinubu commissioned:

Zero flyover in 8 years
Zero rail project in 8 years
Zero mono rail in 8 years
Zero airport in 8 years
Zero cargo or sea port in 8 years
Zero bridge construction in 8 years
Zero tertiary institution in 8 years, no university, no polytechnic, no technical college, nothing!
Zero tertiary healthcare facility in 8 years
Zero investment in state media in 8 years.

Yet he left 100bn debt for Fashola to pay off.

I launched a 50k challenge two days ago for any urch.n that can point to just one bridge or flyover that Tinubu constructed in 8 years in Lagos and no one could name just one. Someone added 150k, yet no feedback.

Take it all leave it, Ojuyobo aka Tinubu is the worst governor Nigeria ever had. Taking Fashola's and Sanwo-Olu's successes as his predecessors' won't do you all no good. The people you're trying to convince are not f00lish na. Lol.

59 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by donphilopus: 7:34am On Dec 24, 2022
And this is the visionless man these guys want us to vote? In terms of governance, he can't lace Sanwaolu's shoes let alone the Jagaban himself. The failure should just rest.

28 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Cyberterror: 7:34am On Dec 24, 2022
He was siphoning Anambra money to his underaged daughter's secret bank accounts in Jersey as the Pandora papers revealed. Peter Obi is a crook and a thief.

His own state governor has warned everybody. I hope people listen.

Peter Obi is a packaged fraudster
-Gov. Chukwuma Soludo

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 7:36am On Dec 24, 2022
copyrites:
Lol

We need to start asking all the difficult questions. Tinubu came up with several developmental plans for Lagos state around the same time such as Lagos railway project, BRT, Eko Atlantic, Lekki Free Trade zone etc. Today, all these projects are a reality.

So, what happened to Peter Obi’s monorail project? What’s the current stage of development? How much of Anambra state fund was committed into this project in the last 12 years?

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by 9jalyte: 7:38am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

Dear Peter Obi and all Obidients, can you guys explain to us what happened to this great Onitsha monorail project?

The MoU was signed by Peter Obi in 2010 between Anambra state government and a Canadian firm. 12 years later, we are yet to see any monorail. What’s the update on this project?

Mynd44 and nlfpmod, can we get this to front page?

Thank God you acknowledged that PO conceived an idea like that and took the bold step towards achieving it. You should have asked those that came after him what happened.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by jumper524(m): 7:40am On Dec 24, 2022
He decided to use it to buy beer company

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2022
9jalyte:

Thank God you acknowledged that PO conceived an idea like that and took the bold step towards achieving it. You should have asked those that came after him what happened.

Before asking those that came after him, we must ask him what he did towards the actualization of the project. This MOU was signed in 2010 and Obi left office in 2014. So, what exactly did he do to actualize the project in those 4 years? How much money did he commit to the project and what value did the state get from the money since there is no monorail or any sign of construction whatsoever?

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by gozmok1(m): 7:49am On Dec 24, 2022
okay I have reduced it to two, I challenge any aGbado youth to show us 2 pictures of yekini Amoda commissioning project during his 8 years as a governor.

IF YOU CAN DO IT I WILL CEASE TO BE OBIDIENT .... I WILL CAMPAIGN FOR YEKINI

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by mycar: 7:50am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

We need to start asking all the difficult questions. Tinubu came up with several developmental plans for Lagos state around the same time such as Lagos railway project, BRT, Eko Atlantic, Lekki Free Trade zone etc. Today, all these projects are a reality.

So, what happened to Peter Obi’s monorail project? What’s the current stage of development? How much of Anambra state fund was committed into this project in the last 12 years?
Peter Obi came with his own plan, executed those he could and Obiano continued from where he stopped, every state has it's own peculiarity, in term of Population density, you can't compare Anambra with Lagos. what anambra needs is different from what lagos needs and lest I forget, Tinubu did not lay any plan. your propaganda will not work.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by after4: 7:53am On Dec 24, 2022
So you quoted a source from one site hoisted under a bridge in surulere?
You people think we are like you.
Post a credible verifiable source.

Also post the achievements of tifnubu that we can verify

seunmsg:

Seun, Mynd44 and nlfpmod, can we get this to front page?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:55am On Dec 24, 2022
Most governors are mad, they usually abandon the project or plans of their predecessor or look the so called mr project who refuse to finish the rail line started by amechi.
Infact I think if these guys have any atom of sense each region governors can have regional plans that connect each region together. Like if each individual Southern governor build a state own railway line that runs across the state and end in the neighbouring which can be later connected or they come up with a regional plan and combine resources together I believe we would have move beyond this issue by now.
Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Abdul05: 7:56am On Dec 24, 2022
9jalyte:

Don't you see how stupid obi is.not was

those that came after him ..they were in the same party with him at the time obi left ba

Why did they refuse to follow his footsteps. .as fashola and ambode did to tinubu, even sanwo Olu is doing more than we expected.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Lanretoye(m): 7:58am On Dec 24, 2022
gozmok1:
okay I have reduced it to two, I challenge any aGbado youth to show us 2 pictures of yekini Amoda commissioning project during his 8 years as a governor.

IF YOU CAN DO IT I WILL CEASE TO BE OBIDIENT .... I WILL CAMPAIGN FOR YEKINI
now tell me how to show a blind man what he can't see before him.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by BATified2023: 7:59am On Dec 24, 2022
9jalyte:

y is it that obi didn’t create a footprint like tinubu did

After all his successors were from d same party he ruled?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 8:01am On Dec 24, 2022
mycar:

Peter Obi came with his own plan, executed those he could and Obiano continued from where he stopped, every state has it's own peculiarity, in term of Population density, you can't compare Anambra with Lagos. what anambra needs is different from what lagos needs and lest I forget, Tinubu did not lay any plan. your propaganda will not work.

You’ve not answered my questions. Peter Obi came up with the plan in 2010 and not me. Any talk about population density or what’s priority to Anambra is irrelevant. If the monorail wasn’t a priority, why did Peter Obi sign an MOU for its development?

Peter Obi had 4 good years to deliver this project and failed terribly at doing so. If four years, the project never moved beyond MOU. He even had the opportunity of singlehandedly picking his successor who could have continued with his vision and signatory projects and again, he bottled it.

So, why should I vote for such a failure who can’t get anything done as my president when I have a better alternative who can boldly push for the actualization of his vision and signatory projects? We all saw Tinubu when he signed the MOU for Lekki free trade zone in China. Today, Lekki free trade zone is a reality. No excuses of of a successor abandoning the project because of solid planning and excellent mentorship.

If you like Nigeria, you will not out of petty ethnic sentiments be supporting a failure like Peter Obi.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Racoon(m): 8:01am On Dec 24, 2022
Seunmsg resurrected with Peter Obi past legacy project that were unfulfilled forgetting that government is a continuum. Jakande started the Blue rail ideology that was cancelled by then Major General Muhammadu Buhari.

Fast forward to 2015, former President Jonathan started a lots of railway corridors especially the Abuja - Rigasa rail line that Buhari completed the about 10% side to claim credit but stretch it to undeservingly to neighbouring Niger Republic.

Now to Peter Obi not completing the railway project in Anambra in between 2010 to 2014 may not be justifiable but it was understandable that he faced the toughest political battle of his life around that era with opposition HOA members, the Uba's brothers and other sundry issue.

The fact is that the vision was birthed by Peter Obi. Other governors ought to have carry on from where he stopped as government is a continuum. Why they didn't is best known to them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:06am On Dec 24, 2022
You crawl, before you walk, before you can then run.. Remember the Anambra airport was conceived long ago but the government thought it was not a priority yet.. after Obi finished grassroot transformations he moved the airport from Oba to a new site he acquired at Umueri. Obiano also didn't start work immediately but towards the end of his tenure, yet you praise Tinubu is for "blueprint". In future when this monorail is built, remember it was Obi's blueprint. Also remember that Amaechi rushed into PH monorail but it became abandoned project, just like Osun airport that started long before Anambra.you people even mocked Anambra then. At the appropriate timing, this Obi's brainchild will be realised

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by godoluwa(m): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

Railway Project: Tinubu never built any single railway project throughout his 8years in office despite the fact that Lagos state receive huge allocation from federal government and still generate huge IGR on monthly basis

BRT : Tinubu never brings BRT, fashola did. Go n verify if there's any BRT during Tinubu tenure

Eko Atlantic : This was never Tinubu legacy, provide us evidence to prove your claim

Lekki Free Trade Zone: This was never Tinubu project at all

Tinubu embezzle Lagos state money & suck lagosians dry for his selfish ambition. Go & check history, Tinubu is a fugitive who once lived in kudeti Ibadan as a child under someones care so I wonder how he came up with his story of inherited wealth.

Tinubu is a thief & big liar

How many flyover did Tinubu constructed during his 8yrs in office?

The only thing that Tinubu brought to Lagos is thuggery & agberoism

Only Godforsaking urchins praise Bola Tinubu

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:08am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

You’ve not answered my questions. Peter Obi came up with the plan in 2010 and not me. Any talk about population density or what’s priority to Anambra is irrelevant. If the monorail wasn’t a priority, why did Peter Obi sign an MOU for its development?

Peter Obi had 4 good years to deliver this project and failed terribly at doing so. If four years, the project never moved beyond MOU. He even had the opportunity of singlehandedly picking his successor who could have continued with his vision and signatory projects and again, he bottled it.

So, why should I vote for such a failure who can’t get anything done as my president when I have a better alternative who can boldly push for the actualization of his vision and signatory projects? We all saw Tinubu when he signed the MOU for Lekki free trade zone in China. Today, Lekki free trade zone is a reality. No excuses of of a successor abandoning the project because of solid planning and excellent mentorship.

If you like Nigeria, you will not out of petty ethnic sentiments be supporting a failure like Peter Obi.
So Tinubu should sign off the country to his imperialist cronies? Can you see the name Peter Obi signed with? Local content is important in development even if it takes longer time

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Great2017: 8:09am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

Seun, Mynd44 and nlfpmod, can we get this to front page?

"Details of the agreement showed that the company would provide the funds, execute the project and manage it for sometime before handing it over to the state government."

You should have directed your questions to the Canadian based firm since the project would be fully funded by them. However, pettiness and tribal emotions will blind you to logical reasoning.

Keep dribbling yourself.

Nigerians are wiser now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/anambra-globim-sign-mou-for-monorail-in-onitsha/amp/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:11am On Dec 24, 2022
Abdul05:

Don't you see how stupid obi is..

those that came after him ..they were in the same party with him at the time obi left ba

Why did they refuse to follow his footsteps. .as fashola and ambode did to tinubu, even sanwo Olu is doing more than we expected.
Even Rivers could not complete a monorail under Amaechi.

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 8:12am On Dec 24, 2022
after4:
So you quoted a source from one site hoisted under a bridge in surulere?
You people think we are like you.
Post a credible verifiable source.

Also post the achievements of tifnubu that we can verify

The signing of the MOU was well reported way back I in 2010. It even made front page back then in 2010. Below is the old thread https://www.nairaland.com/556040/anambra-enugu-course-monorail-construction

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:14am On Dec 24, 2022
Great2017:

"Details of the agreement showed that the company would provide the funds, execute the project and manage it for sometime before handing it over to the state government."

You should have directed your questions to the Canadian based firm since the project would be fully funded by them. However, pettiness and tribal emotions will blind you to logical reasoning.

Keep dribbling yourself.

Nigerians are wiser now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/anambra-globim-sign-mou-for-monorail-in-onitsha/amp/

This is exactly why the monrail project will not be allowed. Obiano planned such arrangements with the Chinese for the airport but it was rejected, instead let the project delay till the state is ripe to fund it. Lagos keep signing off the state to criminal imperialist and be making noise

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:17am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

The signing of the MOU was well reported way back I in 2010. It even made front page back then in 2010. Below is the old thread https://www.nairaland.com/556040/anambra-enugu-course-monorail-construction
Thank you, even Enugu has a monorail masterplan under Sullivan. It's future government to work on whenever economic fortunes improves and resources are available We will not allow imperialist own important infrastructure here unlike Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Abdul05: 8:17am On Dec 24, 2022
[quote author=Ogbuefi2020 post=119389933][/quote]

It would have been completed if wike was in good term with his Amaechi..

Both were in different parties then..

1 Like

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by seunmsg(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2022
Ogbuefi2020:

So Tinubu should sign off the country to his imperialist cronies? Can you see the name Peter Obi signed with? Local content is important in development even if it takes longer time

What Nigerians want is development and not excuses. BRT is today a reality. Lekki free trade zone is today a reality. Lagos blue and red lines are now a reality. Why is Onitsha monorail not a reality?

And yes, the so called Canadian firm was a scam. It was made up of rogues masquerading as foreign partners. Not surprisingly, the project never took off. Check the comments of musiwa and other unbiased Nairalanders about the firm in 2010.
https://www.nairaland.com/556040/anambra-enugu-course-monorail-construction

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Oddfinder12: 8:19am On Dec 24, 2022
grin
Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:22am On Dec 24, 2022
seunmsg:

What Nigerians want is development and not excuses. BRT is today a reality. Lekki free trade zone is today a reality. Lagos blue and red lines are now a reality. Why is Onitsha monorail not a reality?

And yes, the so called Canadian firm was a scam. It was made up of rogues masquerading as foreign partners. Not surprisingly, the project never took off. Check the comments of musiwa and other unbiased Nairalanders about the firm in 2010.
https://www.nairaland.com/556040/anambra-enugu-course-monorail-construction
Thank you, we rejected scammers.
We don't need imperialist owning important infrastructure here. Enugu planned artificial city similar to Eko Atlantic, it was rejected. Continue with your artificial development without local content

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Nightwolf1: 8:29am On Dec 24, 2022
grin That was the only project he completed in Lagos state

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 24, 2022
Basically, if you want to build a monorail in any city in Nigeria, you either need to

1.Borrow the money

2.Charge high taxes.

Obi probably did not complete the project because borrowing the money places more burden on the state, and as for charging higher taxes, or taxing more people ........well, we know that 'Nigerians are poor'. (Anytime one advocates for any measures to improve Nigeria's poor tax income and revenue...one is called an oppressor and evil. And then, they would talk about sane countries...where taxation is a must.)

Let's not use the monorail in Lagos for political gamesmanship. Yes, Lagos did it (though there are 6 PHASES to go)...but Lagos has a lot of tax revenue from the businesses, and the people (Lagos town has estimated 28m people alone domiciled within..we have not talked about the rest of the state self). Anambra? Onitsha is a big town, but it is no lagos (i don't even think Onitsha has up to 15 m people self), and the population of the state is small, and not urban

Personally I would like to see each state linked by rail, and towns/cities like PH, Enugu, Kano, Kaduna, Ibadan, Ife, Abeokuta, etc all having monorails. Abuja is even long overdue for a monorail system linking all parts of the city so that some of us can dump the car on weekdays. But it costs money...and Obi is even very considerate self in not allowing the project go ahead....like Buhari did in 1984...when he cancelled the original Lagos metro project...which would have cost us a very extra large loan.

So, oga seunmsg, chill. Not everything is politics, and not every abandoned project is because of inept government. Even your lagos monorail...I won;t be surprised if the fares don't go up to pay off the loans taken for the project.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Peter Obi, What Happened To The Onitsha Monorail Plan? by Ogbuefi2020: 8:32am On Dec 24, 2022
mycar:

Thank you very much. Every state has their peculiar needs. When they say vote Tinubu to transform Nigeria like Lagos I laugh.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News: Naira On A Free Fall, Now #1,350 To A USD / We Will No Longer Accredit Observer Groups That Don’t Submit Reports – INEC / Proda, Enugu Achieves Breakthrough, Produces Bio-fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.