Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,760 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction (8498 Views)

Ayade And Kuru Ride On Calabar Monorail / Monorail: Wike Is A Shameless Liar – Amaechi / How Technical Consultants Advised Amaechi Against Monorail Project After Collect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by igbobuigbo: 3:40am On Nov 24, 2010
Anambra, Globim sign MoU for monorail in Onitsha

News    Tuesday, November 23, 2010

ANAMBRA State government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with an Canada-based company, Globim Corporation, for the finance, design, construction and operation of monorail system in the commercial city of Onitsha.

Governor Peter Obi signed for the state government, while the chairman of Globim, Dr. Jude Igwemezie, signed for the company during a brief ceremony at Government House, Awka.

The project will start with a feasibility study of the city, followed by the actual execution of the project.

Obi said the project would upgrade transport system in the city to meet the demands of the day, in line with the vision of the state government to achieve the Millennium Development Goals, MDGs.

He explained that the monorail system was part of the effort of government to improve infrastructure and social amenities in Onitsha, especially with its new status as one of the five fastest growing cities in the world.

Commissioner for special duties, Mr. Robert Okonkwo whose ministry oversees the project said it was an innovation that would help decongest the city and enhance easy movement.

Okonkwo said the company would not only build the rail, but would also provide other facilities needed for the system including the trains which he explained would be built locally with potentials to provide more than five thousand jobs.

Also speaking, the chairman of the company, Dr. Igwemezie commended Governor Obi for giving his company the opportunity to contribute to the new transport system for the state.

According to him, the first phase of the project would involve a survey to establish viability and engineering feasibility, adding that this would be followed by the execution of the project.

Details of the agreement showed that the company
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by igbobuigbo: 3:43am On Nov 24, 2010
The chairman of Canada-based Globim Corporation, Dr. Jude Igwemezie ??

http://www.globim.com/
http://www.globim.com/team.html

1 Like

Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by igbobuigbo: 3:52am On Nov 24, 2010
Enugu is already on the same page with Anambra on this one;D grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Enugu monorail to gulp $246m

News    Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The first phase of the 21- kilometre Enugu Monorail Project will cost $246 million, the consultant, Canada-based engineering firm, Globim Corporation, has announced.

A statement by Chairman of the firm, Dr Jude Igwemezie, in Enugu Tuesday said the first phase of the project would have six lines.

advertisement
It said the project, expected to be completed in three years, would run from Gariki through Agbani Road, Coal Camp, UNTH Road, Ogbete Market, Zik's Avenue, back to Agbani Road and looping on the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

The statement said the cost would cover building of the infrastructure and acquisition of sufficient trains to ensure viable operations.

It said that when completed, the train would have a minimum of four cars or coaches and six lines with a total capacity of 500 passengers at a speed of 80 km per hour.

"This will be the lowest cost of any monorail of similar size and capacity ever built anywhere. In all, the 117 km equivalent single line monorail system in Enugu will cost approximately $1.5 billion.

"The monorail, which will be electrically powered on a straddle beam, will not depend on Nigeria's epileptic power supply, as diesel generators strategically located on the lines will power the trains,'' it said.

The statement announced that the project would be 100 per cent financed by Globim Corporation, which would deliver the best, safe and most conducive intra-city transportation system.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the project will be executed at no cost to the state government, while Globim will deliver over a concession period of 30 years from the initial opening and operation of the lines.

The statement quotes the state Commissioner for Transport, Mr John Egbo, as saying that government was satisfied with the expertise of Globim in rail engineering.

He said: "They have more than 150 years experience in financing, manufacturing, building, managing profitable rail system in America.

"Globim intends to utilise its new TGM-01 train-set designed to provide a combined seating and standing capacity of 550 passengers."

Egbo said the train would be air conditioned, while passengers would be able to move from one car to another in the trains.

He said that each train would be equipped with remote control, while anti-collision devices would be installed in them and tracks "to ensure that no two trains collide".

"To ensure passengers' safety, each car will be equipped with emergency evacuation system should the need arise,'' he added.

Egbo said that no fewer than 500 jobs would be created in the first phase of construction, while 200 permanent jobs would be guaranteed during the first phase of the operations.

"When all the phases are completed, more than 1,500 permanent jobs will be created. The jobs will translate into future economic impact of three to five times the number of people permanently employed,'' he added.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by shotster50(m): 3:58am On Nov 24, 2010
Hopefully it wont be another white elephant project,
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by GAR3TH(m): 4:35am On Nov 24, 2010
nice, West Africa's second and third monorail projects, the first currently under construction in port harcourt
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Onlytruth(m): 4:55am On Nov 24, 2010
Two caveats:

1- The company must fund it and recoup their investments over many years.

2- There must be an INDEPENDENT inspector to be sure of the standards.

If the two are in place, then let's roll full steam!( i mean electric) cool
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Musiwa13: 5:43am On Nov 24, 2010
Governor Obi, should not put $1 of the money of the people of anambra state in. If this person claim he got finance. Please sanusi and waziri should make sure, $1 of anambra money is not involve. Since he claim he got finance. I dont want to disclose why I say so.   WAZIRI SHOULD PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF MY STATEMENT. $1 of ANAMBRA MONEY, must not be involve. I love anambra state too much to over look. it is 1.5 billion dollars we are talking about.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Musiwa13: 6:15am On Nov 24, 2010
there is nothing to hidden, this is why some people dont like me. I dont close my mouth
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by princekevo(m): 8:09am On Nov 24, 2010
Musiwa,:

there is nothing to hidden, this is why some people dont like me. I dont close my mouth

Almighty Becomerich has spoken
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Musiwa13: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2010
Is not that I hate this person, or because it is igbo, because I know you people would start calling me tribalist. But the truth is , I am trying to save the people of anambra state and thier money.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Omenani(m): 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2010
Do not forget about Eastern Igboland. Umuahia, Aba, Owerri etc.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Onlytruth(m): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2010
In one of those RARE moments, I would support Becomrich by posting the company's contact page.

Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Onlytruth(m): 8:49pm On Nov 24, 2010
Please any Anambra or Enugu son in Canada should try to verify this company.

Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Omenani(m): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2010
I just looked at the Executive Team for Globim Corporation. It seems like a legitimate website. I seen a few Nigerians (Igbo) names on the executive team, but it is a mixed company from what I see.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Onlytruth(m): 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2010
Omenani:

I just looked at the Executive Team for Globim Corporation. It seems like a legitimate website. I seen a few Nigerians (Igbo) names on the executive team, but it is a mixed company from what I see.

Did you try to view the address using google streetview?

We must shine our eyes well well.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by igbobuigbo: 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

Please any Anambra or Enugu son in Canada should try to verify this company.

They have rail contracts in Iraq too

http://www.worldconstructionnetwork.com/news/globim_to_build_iraqs_first_monorail_100628/
http://www.globim.com/news-mou.html
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by ezeagu(m): 10:34pm On Nov 24, 2010
If this is built, along with the new airport (it is completed), Enugu will become a major urban centre in Africa. It would have been more exciting if it was the existing (heavy) railways that were being repaired and upgraded.

Is it like this:
[center]

or more like this:
[/center]
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by GAR3TH(m): 10:44pm On Nov 24, 2010
google doesn't alway update its maps frequently. . . .when i typed in the address i got a location infront of the "India Rainbow Community Services Of Peel". . . interesting to note that when i went to street view i saw a sign in front of the building saying "for lease industrial space". so maybe Globim now owns the building. . .note once again google doesn't frequently update their maps. . .so the picture could be from 2008-2010.

google maps " 9446 McLaughlin Road, Brampton, Ontario, Canada "
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Mbeki: 10:48pm On Nov 24, 2010
this is goodnews, does any one have the picture of the newly upgraded Enugu airport? is it up to international standard as claimed by the aviation minister, NLders in Enugu should please send some pics.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Musiwa13: 1:19am On Nov 25, 2010
Dont get me wrong, I am not saying he did not get finance for the project. It is possible to get finance for project.

But the issue is the location of where he claim on his website. The place is this below. He may have moved from the location and may need to update the website. But the truth is, he has not package it well.

Look he may not be able to build the railway but may have technical partner who can. May be that is what he is doing. But instead of using a location which look funny. Canadian law allows you to use your house address. Even get tax deduction for using your house. Many engineers and lawyers work from home. It also allow him to get commission of the project. ( which in Nigeria, you people think is bribe. ).

He may know the governor of anambra state. I dont know, 

For you to get finance, you must be the representative of the state who want the finance in Canada or the USA.
So let say Ondo,lagos  or Ogun state want to finance a project , we represent ondo, lagos or ogun state before the institution to finance the project. This is how it works. And from this end, you would be pushing the finance institution and also the technical partner to get out the money and also to do the work.

Let say fashola or mimiko is interested in a project, we can be the go between the finance institution and the project executor. Which the law now makes it more local . In the USA is call buy America.  So fashola or mimiko  hand over the project to us and we look for the finance and also the executor of the project , to get finance, they tend to favour thier own company over here. That is the way it works.

But you must find a canada or USA company willing to do the job in africa which they can truth.

Leave me your contact.

Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by edoyad(m): 7:22am On Nov 25, 2010
It's a good thing that we're being wary of the development. Nigerian governors can be real tricky in their looting methods hence the need for one not to swallow the whole thing without verification.
Commendable project though.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 25, 2010
Musiwa,:

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying he did not get finance for the project. It is possible to get finance for project.

But the issue is the location of where he claim on his website. The place is this below. He may have moved from the location and may need to update the website. But the truth is, he has not package it well.

Look he may not be able to build the railway but may have technical partner who can. May be that is what he is doing. But instead of using a location which look funny. Canadian law allows you to use your house address. Even get tax deduction for using your house. Many engineers and lawyers work from home. It also allow him to get commission of the project. ( which in Nigeria, you people think is bribe. ).

He may know the governor of anambra state. I dont know, 

For you to get finance, you must be the representative of the state who want the finance in Canada or the USA.
So let say Ondo,lagos  or Ogun state want to finance a project , we represent ondo, lagos or ogun state before the institution to finance the project. This is how it works. And from this end, you would be pushing the finance institution and also the technical partner to get out the money and also to do the work.

Let say fashola or mimiko is interested in a project, we can be the go between the finance institution and the project executor. Which the law now makes it more local . In the USA is call buy America.  So fashola or mimiko  hand over the project to us and we look for the finance and also the executor of the project , to get finance, they tend to favour thier own company over here. That is the way it works.

But you must find a canada or USA company willing to do the job in africa which they can truth.

Leave me your contact.
I am not getting you wrong but have no doubt you are just being Mischievous. The project is obviously  private and on BOT after 30 years. Who will give Anambrians and Enugu residents a better deal.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2010
Even though this is business, I think Igwemezie is bringing it home because he is a son.

Since Anambra state government is not paying for these monorail. I suggest they work with the company to add rail and rail car construction to the automobil activities in Nnewi. They can even use the Old Ananmco or float a new firm. This will  create a new sector. If we work with the intention of developing the technology up to magnetic levitation systems via dedicated research at the engineering departments of FUTO, UNN, UNIZIK. In the next ten years we could be interconnecting our cities with MagLevs as well as selling the technology to other African Cities. Thats how countries like South korea plan what they will be producing tomorrow. The new Anambra Investcorp should also look in this direction.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by SGANIVA(m): 6:14pm On Jun 16, 2017
what happened to this project ?

1 Like

Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by SGANIVA(m): 6:36pm On Jun 16, 2017
is on record that enugu , anambra signed mou with this company , no construction or whatsoever in both states.I think this our state governor s should be more provocative in this kind of projects, which can single handedly put our economy on a brighter side
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by deboysben(m): 7:50pm On Jun 16, 2017
na so this project just died...
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 16, 2017
Igbos are doing great very very well...

This will be better and ahead of Ambodes' monorail project that would be commissioned in December 2017.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Abagworo(m): 8:24pm On Jun 16, 2017
7 years layer it remains an MOU project. God bless Chibuike Amaechi.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by hammer6: 8:37pm On Jun 16, 2017
Abagworo:
7 years layer it remains an MOU project. God bless Chibuike Amaechi.

Abagworo, how u dey? Nyway, let me add my own two cent here. Just a question, how many people use the monorail built in Port Harcourt?

Can the revenue cover the cost of staffing and maintenance of service?

South East gov are following development by stages. We are barely off the racing track to be building mono-rail. The only place ripe for this is Enugu. Awka is work in progress, so is Umuahia, Aba, Asaba, Owerri and abakaliki.

With that said, even Enugu have other priorities right now for revenue yielding investment than monorail.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Abagworo(m): 8:44pm On Jun 16, 2017
hammer6:

Abagworo, how u dey? Nyway, let me add my own two cent here. Just a question, how many people use the monorail built in Port Harcourt?

Can the revenue cover the cost of staffing and maintenance of service?

South East gov are following development by stages. We are barely off the racing track to be building mono-rail. The only place ripe for this is Enugu. Awka is work in progress, so is Umuahia, Aba, Asaba, Owerri and abakaliki.

With that said, even Enugu have other priorities right now for revenue yielding investment than monorail.

The reason I hail Amaechi is because it's not easy to have done it. It is a record that will remain till end of time.
Re: Anambra, Enugu on course for Monorail construction by Abagworo(m): 8:47pm On Jun 16, 2017
Schematics:
Frustrated dirty old poor bastard who signed the MUO? Which one has your useless Imo state completed? Is it the useless uncompleted collapsing flyover that has been on for 4yrs or the substandard culvert you call tunnel?

[s][/s]

Okorocha never signed an MOU for monorail nor did Ohakim. Ohakim only signed MOU of flyovers and 6 years later not only have they been completed, there are 2 lovely tunnels and one underpass added.

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Will Hand Over To Igbo – Ezeife (Fmr Gov Of Anambra) / If Bukola Saraki Is Not Yoruba, Then Bishop David Oyedepo Is Also Not Yoruba / Buhari: We Can Make The Commonwealth A Real Global Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.