Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them (5314 Views)

Zimbabwe Adopts Chinese Yuan As Official Legal Tender In Exchange For $40m Debt / “don’t Blame Us For Not Supporting The Nigerian Army” – US Senator / Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by dejiariyo1: 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2011
Libya Rebels 'promised France 35% Oil'

Paris - Libya's rebels in April promised France 35 per cent of the country's crude oil in exchange for supporting the National Transitional Council in its fight against Muammar Gaddafi, a French newspaper reported on Thursday.

Liberation newspaper published a copy of a letter in Arabic from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Libya, the forerunner to the rebels' council, addressed to Qatar, in which the rebels apparently refer to a deal to give 35% of Libya's crude to France in return for supporting the rebellion.

The letter, which was dated April 03, two weeks after the start of the military intervention in support of the rebels that France had championed, said the deal was struck with France "during the London summit".

An international conference on the conflict in Libya was held in London on March 29.

France's foreign ministry told Liberation it had no knowledge of the existence of the letter.

An NTC representative was not immediately available to confirm the existence of such a letter.

French oil giant Total is one of several players in the Libyan oil market. The biggest oil producer in Libya is Italy's Eni.

Eni and Total have been tipped to emerge as the biggest winners in the post-Gaddafi era, given the strong support shown by their countries for the rebels.

- SAPA

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Libya-rebels-promised-France-35-oil-20110901

Is this what they call revolution ?
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by lafuria1(m): 9:56am On Sep 02, 2011
it was obvious 4rm d begining. Anoda iraq has been born.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by BIGERBOY1: 10:00am On Sep 02, 2011
i posted this some weeks back, d revolution is a sham. none of the news network can boast of any picture showing 100s of thousands of lybians celebrating as we saw in egypt.

BIGER BOY:

guys am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist
but lets analyse this:
I was just watching france24 and I heard the
french and italians hav already started grabing d
lucrative oil deals even b4 d war is over,

1 since d wests misguided foray into playing
globalpolice and war on teror, it has had serious
runns on their economy and r at the risk of
soverign bankrupcy

2 all this while china and to some lesser degree
other BRIC nations hav been making inroads
into africa at the expense of the west.

3 now d west cant compete on on level playing
grounds with d new boys on d block, conflicts
start eruptin in energy rich and strategic nations
in ME & A. this nations incedentally hapen to
hav huge chinese investments(sudan, lybia,
nigeria etc). with conflicts come new
opportunities; nato bombs (Military contracts)
humanitarian crisis(did u know there r now
patents on relief foods! d economics of that I
leave 4 u tofind out) and lastly spliting a country
or upsetting its existin govt(western
corporations can now come in and sign new
contracts, while d chinese and russians r
sideliened)

4 I laughed wen I heard on france 24 d rebels
warning d chinese dat they cant guarantee their
investment, while france were guaranteed as
early as april of 35% of oil contracts as early as
april this yr.

now we can seat back and watch this drama
unfolled while africa is re colonized and we
woble in our silly north/south muslim/xtian
arguments, or do somethin b4 its 2 late.
but as I said it might just be my thoughts but;

"drill deep to any recent conflict and u will find
oil at the centre.of it"

Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Rgp92: 10:04am On Sep 02, 2011
Anyone surpise?  grin grin
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 02, 2011
If this is true then it is sad.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 02, 2011
Rgp92:

Anyone surpise? grin grin conspiracy theory hit again grin grin
I'm sure you will say slavery and colonization of Africa were also conspiracy theories abi ?
@topic
There's nothing like revolution in libya,it's modern slavery in disguise !
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nayah(f): 10:12am On Sep 02, 2011
nothing surprising
Europe and the US are in deep financial crisis so they have to look for the money they have to invest, so they implement war through the World
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 02, 2011
Now BBC and the rest are looking at Tourism potentials in Lybia. A subtle way of inviting their citizens to come and take over.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Rgp92: 10:17am On Sep 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I'm sure you will say slavery and colonization of Africa were also conspiracy theories abi ?
@topic
There's nothing like revolution in Libya,it's modern slavery in disguise !

ops, i think you misunderstood me tongue What i meant was that people have been saying this for month now. They have all been label as conspiracy theoretic grin grin
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by boyt1: 10:18am On Sep 02, 2011
Some Nigerians  see the Revolution in the Midddle East as a great acheivement. Western Libration ahaa.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by vinkela(m): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2011
[/color] lets put things straight Gaddafi's approach to the protesters was very inhuman, killing hundreds of civilians.the west intervened to stop him from this which is not bad but if really they are taking advantage of this to steal libya's oil then it is very unfortunate and ask alot of questions if the rebels mean well for the libyan people or are they a bunch of power hungry individuals. [color=#990000] lets put things straight Gaddafi's approach to the protesters was very inhuman, killing hundreds of civilians.the west intervened to stop him from this which is not bad but if really they are taking advantage of this to steal libya's oil then it is very unfortunate and ask alot of questions if the rebels mean well for the libyan people or are they a bunch of power hungry individuals.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by abes(m): 10:29am On Sep 02, 2011
vinkela:

[/color] lets put things straight Gaddafi's approach to the protesters was very inhuman[b], killing hundreds of civilians[/b].the west intervened to stop him from this which is not bad but if really they are taking advantage of this to steal libya's oil then it is very unfortunate and ask alot of questions if the rebels mean well for the libyan people or are they a bunch of power hungry individuals. [color=#990000] lets put things straight Gaddafi's approach to the protesters was very inhuman, killing hundreds of civilians.the west intervened to stop him from this which is not bad but if really they are taking advantage of this to steal libya's oil then it is very unfortunate and ask alot of questions if the rebels mean well for the libyan people or are they a bunch of power hungry individuals.
You guys keep saying he killed many civilians, do you have evidence?
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nayah(f): 10:30am On Sep 02, 2011
vinkela let's be logical one minute
Khaddafi Colonel was in power for 42 years and now right after the Arab spring this is right now lybians talk about " inequality and dictature"? come one please, he's not the best but definetely not the worst president in this WORLD AND ESPECIALLY IN AFRICA

Besides do you know how the average of Lybian live? Which right this westerners have to come and challenge president they don't want? because of what? everybody knows

I'm not saying there's no suffering, because NONE COUNTRY is perfect but please these easy" comments should be left
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 02, 2011
Brand_new:

Now BBC and the rest are looking at Tourism potentials in Lybia. A subtle way of inviting their citizens to come and take over.
Who no know say na oyinbo teach black man 419 ? That is capitalism at its best.
Rgp92:

ops, i think you misunderstood me tongue What i meant was that people have been saying this for month now. They have all been label as conspiracy theoretic  grin grin
Anyhow grin
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by stagger: 10:32am On Sep 02, 2011
Let me say it here categorically:

If I was the leader of the Transitional Council, I would have done the same thing.

How many rebel insurrections in the world have ever succeeded on a stand-alone basis?

Kosovo was helped by NATO's demolition of Serbia. The Rwandese Patriotic Front (RPF) got a lot of help from neighbouring countries to take out the Hutu government and end the 1994 genocide.

Let us face facts. Which country will spend millions of Euros or Dollars in arms, ammunition. logistical support and food/medical aid to help a rebel group just like that, as if they don't have problems at home/

In global economics and politics, NOTHING GOES FOR NOTHING. All the people given political appointments here in Naija were all contributors to GEJ's campaign one way or another.

The Libyan rebels simply used what they could offer to get what they wanted.

So make una 4get all the BS yans about slavery and colonialism and all that balgerdash. I support what the Libyan rebels did 100%. At least they have an ideal they are fighting for: FREEDOM!

Our own government officials were busy selling off our public companies to their cronies and pocketing the monies. What ideals are they fighting for?
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Rgp92: 10:37am On Sep 02, 2011
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by babaowo: 10:41am On Sep 02, 2011
nah today? Naija days are number,
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 02, 2011
stagger:

If I was the leader of the Transitional Council, I would have done the same thing.

How many rebel insurrections in the world have ever succeeded on a stand-alone basis?

Kosovo was helped by NATO's demolition of Serbia. The Rwandese Patriotic Front (RPF) got a lot of help from neighbouring countries to take out the Hutu government and end the 1994 genocide.

Let us face facts. Which country will spend millions of Euros or Dollars in arms, ammunition. logistical support and food/medical aid to help a rebel group just like that, as if they don't have problems at home/

In global economics and politics, NOTHING GOES FOR NOTHING. All the people given political appointments here in Naija were all contributors to GEJ's campaign one way or another.

So make una 4get all the BS yans about slavery and colonialism and all that balgerdash. I support what the Libyan rebels did 100%. At least they have an ideal they are fighting for: FREEDOM!

Our own government officials were busy selling off our public companies to their cronies and pocketing the monies. What ideals are they fighting for?

What freedom ? Freedom that you've been enjoying in that shiithole you called nigeria,freedom to elect thievies as presidents and governors or freedom to practices leeesbianism and hoomoosexuality ? Abeg which freedom is it that is different from the suffering and smiling in nigeria ? Bullshiit
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by bossinie: 10:54am On Sep 02, 2011
Ever heard there is no such thing as 'free lunch' anywhere as someone eventually has to pay for it,have never been a fan of Ghaddafi but am completely against the use of BRUTE force to oust him.Only a stupid person will think these world powers are actually in the fight for the ultimate good of the Libyan people,they were quick to freeze the accounts of the Libyan government to the tune of over $2.5b from where they sponsored the whole operation while pretending to be the good guys,the remaining fund is what they are conveying in wooden pallets to inject into the Libyan economy.To imagine our own government supported this 'do-or-die' assault on Gaddafi by NATO and cohorts who ended up killing more civilians than the main terrorist is completely unacceptable.sadly these so-called-rebels have turned against Nigerians and other Africans in the country killing and maiming them and you say this is not a script well written by France the Original terrorists.After all Sarkozy once told all blacks that France would be a better place without them.One thing is certain Libya will never be the same again with all these 'dictatorial interests' matter of fact one-day the Libyans would wish Ghaddafi was still their leader because these western forces will never allow their economy to work again so that they can perpetually be indebted to them for life.Soooooorrrry for LIBYA!!
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by stmarc32(m): 11:03am On Sep 02, 2011
stagger:

Your on here ranting on about how european countries invaded a sovereign country just for the sake of their resources?  how many african countries have interferred in european matters? How many true uprisings in the world have been backed  by the US without hidden economic agendas? last time i checked they killed Lumumba,Sankara,Nkrumah and replaced them with dictators to do their bidding, they also had Idi-amin in power till he chased them out of the country,

If Ghadaffi was a tyrant why is  libyas standard of living the best in africa  , even better than america( food stamp country) and nigeria?
Do you know how many black brothers in Libya are killed everyday by the rebels claiming they r merceneries?

I hope u know nigeria is next and it could be ur house  thats bombed when it happens
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Koolking(m): 11:08am On Sep 02, 2011
SHAME on Libyans and AU at large.

I said it again. The future of Libyans is bleak. Iraq in the making. 35% of Libyan oil to France? then 45% for USA and the remaining % for the rest of the West? This is a sad tale.

These guys will be worst than Gaddafi
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by denitro(m): 11:23am On Sep 02, 2011
Congratulations to the French. (Smart Move)
Shame on the AU.
Congratulation to G.E.J for recognizing the T.N.C (Smart Move)
Gaddafi is finished, (a leader must be accepted by the majority of citizens
and he cannot force himself on the people, it will backfire oneday)
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by vinkela(m): 11:27am On Sep 02, 2011
Gaddafi is just a victim of the corrupting effect of absolute power.He now think he is a God.He may have performed better than most Nigerian leaders in the past but that doesn't mean that if the libyan people no longer want him he should remain in office. besides look into this man's past and see so many atrocities he has committed.let the will of the libyan people prevail thats my take.for the rebels i still have my reservations towards them but lets watch as events unfold though. old though.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by stmarc32(m): 11:40am On Sep 02, 2011
vinkela:

Gaddafi is just a victim of the corrupting effect of absolute power.He now think he is a God.He may have performed better than most Nigerian leaders in the past but that doesn't mean that if the libyan people no longer want him he should remain in office. besides look into this man's past and see so many atrocities he has committed.let the will of the libyan people prevail thats my take.for the rebels i still have my reservations towards them but lets watch as events unfold though. old though.

Clearly shows that you have been disillusioned by western media propaganda? if its the will of the people that ghadaffi's ousted why did 1million come to the square to show their support? you seem to forget that the same war rhetoric was used when the US invaded Iraq and afghanistan? Do you seriously think the rebels would have been a match against the people of libya if they had no air support from imperialist europe and america? Have you forgotten so quick that libya was one of the poorest countries in the world prior to ghadaffi's sucession of power? Do you know that libya's political structure is far better than the democratic structure present in africa today where corrupt and pot bellied idiots decide the fate of a country ? havent u seen that democrazy has been a facade for westernn imperialism in africa? think while its still legal brother.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by starfox(m): 11:48am On Sep 02, 2011
stmarc32:

Your on here ranting on about how european countries invaded a sovereign country just for the sake of their resources?  how many african countries have interferred in european matters? How many true uprisings in the world have been backed  by the US without hidden economic agendas? last time i checked they killed Lumumba,Sankara,Nkrumah and replaced them with dictators to do their bidding,  they also had Idi-amin in power till he chased them out of the country,

If Ghadaffi was a tyrant why is  libyas standard of living the best in africa  , even better than america( food stamp country) and nigeria?
Do you know how many black brothers in Libya are killed everyday by the rebels claiming they r merceneries?

I hope u know nigeria is next and it could be your house  thats bombed when it happens

You better pray that Nigeria does not come next. You talk about Libyan's standard of Living. The Libyans have never said they were fighting for a better standard of living, what they and the whole Arab youths are fighting for is self fulfillment.

Humans are born of a free spirit, even God recognizes that. However, when a 'leader' or brother leader as in the case of Gaddafi sends jets to bomb his own people, you can be sure that what is happening can only result. As for Other countries grabbing Libyan oil, that has happened throughout history and we will have done the same for say a Togo or Benin.

If you give Nigerians the choice of giving the west 50% of its Oil & Gas assets for a standard of living akin to that of say Libya (which is been praised in this thread), most Nigerians will sign off on it afterall, our politicians are doing worse.

All this whining from Africans about the west must stop. If you are given a green visa to these western countries, you guys will jump at the chance. You will go there and enjoy the economy forgetting that the resources were taken from elsewhere.

Please lets give all these talks a rest.

Thank you.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by starfox(m): 11:50am On Sep 02, 2011
stmarc32:

Clearly shows that you have been disillusioned by western media propaganda? if its the will of the people that ghadaffi's ousted why did 1million come to the square to show their support? you seem to forget that the same war rhetoric was used when the US invaded Iraq and afghanistan? Do you seriously think the rebels would have been a match against the people of libya if they had no air support from imperialist europe and america? Have you forgotten so quick that libya was one of the poorest countries in the world prior to ghadaffi's sucession of power?  Do you know that libya's political structure is far better than the democratic structure present in africa today where corrupt and pot bellied idiots decide the fate of a country ? havent u seen that democrazy has been a facade for westernn imperialism in africa? think while its still legal brother.

Oh please, Abacha had 1 million people march for him.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by vinkela(m): 11:55am On Sep 02, 2011
Which tv network reported that one million libyans came in support of ghadaf? Please i will like to know before making further statementsi
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by dustydee: 11:59am On Sep 02, 2011
denitro:

Congratulations to the French. (Smart Move)
Shame on the AU.
Congratulation to G.E.J for recognizing the T.N.C (Smart Move)
Gaddafi is finished, (a leader must be accepted by the majority of citizens
and he cannot force himself on the people, it will backfire one day)
Yes, Nigeria is next, they will side with Boko Haram in exchange for ND oil. Our people will say a man with long beards should wet his when his neighbors beards is on fire.
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by eewule(m): 12:15pm On Sep 02, 2011
The oppresion from western nations will forever continue as long as it meets no serious opposition.  they have been in Ivory coast, and removed Gbagbo, now Libya and removed Qaddafi,  WHAT STOPS THEM FROM PICKING , SAY NIGERIA NEXT.  African leaders (if sensible) should be united in protecting our common interests. These western countries are scattered across 2 continents but still working together as strong allies. We Africans while united geographically, cant work together. Only by putting away our differences and understanding that we need each-other can we truly be free from foreigners coming to loot our God granted resources, while hindering our progress as a people.   , God help us
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Ayoobscom(m): 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2011
Just imagine the world we live in. so wicked and hateful

Ghadafi God is with you.

Iraq
Libya
maybe Nigeria is next who knows
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by Nayah(f): 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
EEwule exactly I 've been to Ivory Coast before the "war"and I can tell you this:

Ivory Coast was MUCH MORE HEALTHY than right now with the so called democracy which is in fact a neo colonialism, and everybody knows that, so that for Lybia except the fact that KHADDAFI know them and is not ready to resign, the fight will be very tough and now Algeria is going to be involved while they keep scarfaces of Algerian War, to be continued,
Re: Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them by thameamead(f): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2011
Alan Duncan a Conservative MP as well as a Minister in the Tory-led government helped the boss of Vitol Oil who happens to be his friend as well as a Conversative donor complete a $1Billion fuel deal with the Libyan Rebels, the boss of Vitol has donated at least £250,000 to the conservatine party since 1990, it's in todays Daily Mirror and Telegraph.

The Rebels who sadly have bn legitimised by NATO are executing black african migrants left, right and centre, there are lots of video footage on youtube, they are confusing them with mercenaries but nobody gives a hoot about those innocent migrants, oil contracts is what David Cameron, Nicholas Sarcozy sees to care about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare / Is Obama Likely To Win His Relection Bid In The States? / Chinese Use Prisoners As Expatriates In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.