Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,498 members, 7,826,872 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy (26903 Views)

Marketers Speak On New Fuel Price As Another Refinery To Release Products / Labour Reacts To Tinubu’s Plan To Remove Subsidy / Presidential Election: Only God Can Save Nigeria From Tinubu's Plan - Bwala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Thepotterman: 6:57am On Dec 26, 2022
Year 2022 is in the wrap, what skill have you acquired to make extra income on the side hustle, well if you haven't don't press the panic button yet, there is time on your side, I have a level up skill masterclass coming up, where you will learn

1) how to create and edit YouTube football Videos for your YouTube channel

2) how to create YouTube thumbnail and how to source for football Videos

3) how to create and edit general videos for people e.g. sales video

4) how to create flyer, logo, banner e.t.c

5) how to source for free stock videos, pictures and songs for your videos

And you know the beauty of this class, you won't be needing any complex software, you will only be making use of your mobile phone, let's make this money

There is so much to learn, to be part of the class message me through the number I need the image below on what'sapp

See you in class

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by ajailer(m): 6:58am On Dec 26, 2022
Man is not God and our ways are not HIS ways but my opinion is that Tinubu is the best man for the job as he definitely has the best ideas and a team to push them through. We shall all meet at the polls sha, my PVC has been ready since 2014.

3 Likes

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by mycar: 7:00am On Dec 26, 2022
When Peter Obi said that he will abolish the multiple exchange rate system, Tinubu was asking if we spend dollar in Nigeria, what happened now? Oh, he read what was written for him.

2 Likes

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by everythinggirly(f): 7:01am On Dec 26, 2022
2023 is just at the corner, make una vote wisely.
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Tflex01: 7:01am On Dec 26, 2022
Tinubu is the best candidate by farrr

3 Likes

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Tflex01: 7:02am On Dec 26, 2022
EjaikreTheViper:
News source: The Nation Newspapers

Another propaganda by the old demented Iragbiji drug criminal.
The experts here are his cheap shameless urchins who didn't even attend school.

Amala and ewedu miscreants will do anything just to collect their monthly stipends. A vote for Gbola Tinupoo is a vote for corruption and extreme suffering. Nigerians be wise.

Lol I pity you. grin

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Masterclass32: 7:04am On Dec 26, 2022
We are not going to vote for 'experts'.

Tinubu should be explaining his planned policies to Nigerians by himself.
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Crystalom5: 7:04am On Dec 26, 2022
T

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 26, 2022
Shoodboi:
Nigerians are not against removing subsidy. All we're saying is "Put the right things in place before removing it". There is little to no sense in removing subsidy when we don’t have functioning refineries.

So how do we put the right thing in place when the money we are spending on subsidies would have been used to build refineries if there was no subsidy?

There is a reason why we don't have refineries at home. Lack of incentive. Even Dangote...expose that his refinery to subsidy regime and it will eventually collapse.

We refine our oil abroad and import it here, which means the price of oil will always be tied to the price of the dollar and euro. When they increase, the price of fuel goes up, and with it, the price of everything else, since energy and development go hand in hand.

True, and we don't have electric power because

1.We subsidise electricity..so discos and gencos cannot charge high enough tarrifs to make a profit and pay TCN...infact they reject power because...not enough profit to pay for it.

2.30-40% of Nigerians...BIG MEN and SMALL men, government and parties, and even some companies..do not pay their bills.
All I expect to hear is, "We'll make our refineries work before removing subsify" and not this nonsense these so-called experts are saying.

With what money? We use the money we would have used there to subsidise petrol

NNPC cannot build new refienries right now because subsidy rules force it to bring in fuel at N510 and sell it at N148 to the depot. They lose money, and the so called subsidy is struggling to cover that loss

So, where would the money come from? (Another loan).

PS: Dangote refinery is not a national refinery, so it doesn't count. Dangote himself has said he will sell oil in dollars and at international prices

Yes, because he is not being unwise.

. We must refine and sell on in naira before we remove subsidy.

We still have to maintain the refinery and upgrade it...and the cost of doing so...is in dollars because most of the things that keep the refinery running are dollarised stuff.

4 Likes

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Kajaard: 7:06am On Dec 26, 2022
Rubbish.

If you like paint shit with the most expensive paints in the world, it will still smell horribly.

Stop forcing this demented senile old criminal down our throats. We don't want him.
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Diligence: 7:06am On Dec 26, 2022
Unless you HV BN scammed or bewitched all over again, you would think that Tinubu+Shettima are in Opposition party!

Don't be bamboozled! Muslim-Muslim Ticket and APC HV BN rejected RESOUNDINGLY. Afflictions shall not rise the 2nd time!

Take Back Your Country
RescueNigeriaNow
ItIsNowOrNever

1 Like

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Doyou2019: 7:09am On Dec 26, 2022
Zetty177x:
Our mumu don do o. Let me ask a simple question, can u deceive an ashawo and fvck her thrice without money? You fvck once, u nor pay, she will never accept d second time. Na bottle she go use chuck u. APC fvcked in 2015, no reward una, fvck 2019, shi shi nor come out. Una go still let them Straff una again for 2023? Haba, na so person de mumu.so ordinary ashawo go get sense pass una? ...

This is graphic, but the analogy is very apt!
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Exceed15: 7:09am On Dec 26, 2022
I rebuke you Tinubu with your Muslim- Muslim ticket and fake promises in the name of our lord Jesus Christ. God forbid BAT thing

1 Like

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Roboto11: 7:09am On Dec 26, 2022
ican2020:
Tinubu should first speak on the Southern Kaduna killings or remain silent forever

May APC never happen to us again

Obi should talk about the daily killings in his backyard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Originality007: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2022
From Tinubu news paper
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by loydsis(m): 7:11am On Dec 26, 2022
Ok
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by ruffDiamond: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2022
Tiffnubuu no get any plan.forget it, The bullion van jagajagaBandit only want to continue where the disaster he contributed bringing in to power in iragbiji Na ogun go keel am angry

1 Like

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Skty: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

See why I support subsidy removal, again, folks?

And yet, people do not see. They only see it helps the poor.

Yeah, helps the poor...to the benefit of the IMF

P.S By the way, don't vote for tinubu, or even Obi or Atiku. Vote one of the new parties, and let's see what they can do. If Botswana did it, we can do it.

They removed subsidy from kerosene, today kerosene is #900 a liter. Are u aware some people prefer to cook with stove and have no choice than to buy kerosene @ #900 a liter?

So what is the benefit of the kerosene subsidy removal?

I remember watching an interview where Sowore said he won't remove fuel subsidy because he said even if that's the only thing Nigerians will enjoy

3 Likes

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Skty: 7:13am On Dec 26, 2022
Doyou2019:

This is graphic, but the analogy is very apt!

The person spoke out of pain I guess..the situation de pain me too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Angelfrost(m): 7:13am On Dec 26, 2022
We're always talking good games, but it consistently ends at that! We never walk the talk!

8 years of APC, yet subsidy is still there... Insecurity is still there... Corruption remained!

Another cycle of election has come, you so called economic experts are here again churning out the very same rhetorical analysis, which will end up in the cabinet of usual failed promises.
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Doyou2019: 7:14am On Dec 26, 2022
mycar:
When Peter Obi said that he will abolish the multiple exchange rate system, Tinubu was asking if we spend dollar in Nigeria, what happened now? Oh, he read what was written for him.

One thing the so-called experts failed to analyse is how someone who detests statistics will work his way round multiple exchange rates and subsidy removal. I mean, we were all here when the man proudly said, 'Na statistics we go chop'.

1 Like

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 26, 2022
Skty:

They removed subsidy from kerosene, today kerosene is #900 a liter. Are u aware some people prefer to cook with stove and have no choice than to buy kerosene @ #900 a liter?

So what is the benefit of the kerosene subsidy removal?

I remember watching an interview where Sowore said he won't remove fuel subsidy because he said even if that's the only thing Nigerians will enjoy

Any beneift from kerosene subsidy removal is wrecked by the massive amounts we still spend subsidising petrol

One does not do things by halves.

At least if we were subsidising kerosne by now the budget would be funded from loans and loans alone. All the subsides would be paid for by the entirety of our revenue plus more loans.

1 Like

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Kajaard: 7:15am On Dec 26, 2022
Zetty177x:
Our mumu don do o. Let me ask a simple question, can u deceive an ashawo and fvck her thrice without money? You fvck once, u nor pay, she will never accept d second time. Na bottle she go use chuck u. APC fvcked in 2015, no reward una, fvck 2019, shi shi nor come out. Una go still let them Straff una again for 2023? Haba, na so person de mumu.so ordinary ashawo go get sense pass una? ...

Apt and succinct analogy. Well said chief cool
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by symbianDON(m): 7:16am On Dec 26, 2022
sirfemoz:
When Goodluck Jonathan wanted to remove the subsidy, this same Tinubu and his band of thieves occupied Ojota. Back then, life wasn't so hard like this. Today, he's talking about removing subsidy when his party has made life extremely hard for Nigerians.

This same Tinubu that used dollar to buy delegates thereby making it scarce and expensive to access by both students and importers is now talking about Forex. Make we just dey play for this country.
nothing but the truth
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by TheChameleon: 7:17am On Dec 26, 2022
I pray God continues to bless Tinubu with health and vision.

Best candidate for Nigeria Presidency in years.

Most of the others just want the position. No brains to handle the responsibilities.

Tinubu will be the first President to better OBJ's achievements.

Very soon, the rest of Nigeria will just realize it's better to let ONLY Yorubas contest. grin

Fayemi will be begged to rule Enugu and Anambra States simultaneously. Fayose - Abia + Imo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by norriswood(m): 7:20am On Dec 26, 2022
[quote author=ican2020 post=119435164]Tinubu should first speak on the Southern Kaduna killings or remain silent forever

May APC never happen to us again ..tell obi to comment on unknown gunmen killing Igbos like chicken...leave tinubu alone...u people want obi to be president in the zoo..u people are jokers....God bless people that believe in Nigeria....obi will become animal president living in the zoo not federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by samwillyco1(m): 7:20am On Dec 26, 2022
Another lie

Where is Lie Mohammed
Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by concho(m): 7:23am On Dec 26, 2022
Tinubu no get plans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Antoeni(m): 7:25am On Dec 26, 2022
You Think Tinubu Understand What's Exchange rate, As Dull As Buhari is ; He is Still Far More Intelligent Than Tinubu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by seguno2: 7:27am On Dec 26, 2022
Spaxon:
Bla bla blu

That is what a confused man says. Confused man who applauded subsidy removal six years ago, but is promising to remove it again next year? Abeg na which kind juju be that

treasure2:
Subsidy Removal: Tinubu Praises President Buhari For His Courageous Decision

May 12, 2016

Praises President Buahri for his courageous decision
The Pain is necessary for the Gains to come.

The president's decision to reallocate funds once earmarked for the fuel subsidy and commit those funds to other more socially productive services and undertakings was a difficult decision. It was also a necessary one.
Politically, it would have been easy for the President to sit back and let the subsidy remain in place, yet in the art of governance, the easiest policy is rarely the best one.

As originally envisioned, the subsidy formed a basic part of the social contract between the people and their government. It was a benefit all were to enjoy. Yet, because past governments were not for and of the people, the true meaning and objective of the subsidy policy became lost. Over the years, the operation of the measure was distorted to where it no longer functioned for the benefit of the masses but for the undue enrichment of a small club of businessmen, some legitimate in their work, some not.

Instead of remaining a positive aspect of the social contract, the subsidy was transformed into an opaque haven of intrigue and malfeasance. It was turned into a shadowy process from which the unscrupulous extracted large sums of money without providing the services and products duly paid for. Fake businessmen became true billionaires over night as if by supernatural force. They paraded themselves as such. Meanwhile, the rest of the nation, the innocent people where left to face erratic supply and were made to groan in the misery of long fuel queues and the high costs and loss of time attendant to this situation.

To allow this unfairness to continue would have been a breach of the promise made by this government to the people. While we all have an emotional and sympathetic attachment to the ideals upon which the subsidy was founded. We all must recognize that the institution was hijacked years ago. Instead of a bonus to the masses, it became a factory of corruption enrichment. so imbued with trickery deceit and theft, it stopped serving the interests of the people. It became a weapon of profiteering. The machinery of the subsidy had become so polluted that it was no longer feasible to talk about reforming it. Either it had to cease or we would have to surrender to the corruption now inherent in it.

This administration entered office with a mandate of CHANGE. The government could not forever sit back and allow this dire inequity to continue less it forfeit the essence of its mandate.

We all want fuel at a cheaper price. under the subsidy, we got the right price but not the fuel. Meanwhile, some were getting rich on the common man's predicament. They were laughing to the bank while the rest of Nigeria wanted in the petrol line. This is not the way to democratic development. It is a recipe for creating a class of economic predators that would feed off the people and in time gain such power and wealth that they would seek to buy and control if not own government as well.

President Buhari has with this decision put an abrupt and just end to this assault against our economy and political system. He has made a courageous and prudent decision. It is time to end the fuel subsidy and to begin to subsidize the true needs of the people.

To Mr. President, I say congratulations for having the courage to remove the subsidy. The President has taken this tough decision in the interest of the present and future generations of Nigerians.

For some time, I have been a proponent of this action. I believed ending of subsidy was the only sure way to put to sleep the myriad demons that had invaded the subsidy process, sucking the blood of Nigeria, swallowing much of our needed money.

The rentiers will no longer be able to make free money at our common expense. They will no longer be laughing to the bank while you languish in endless fuel queues. Nigeria has taken the historic step needed to create a competitive environment that that will eliminate smuggling, provide incentives for private refineries and attract foreign investments in the downstream sector and create employment.

Instead of just shipping off the oil and having the more expensive finished products sent back to us, Nigeria will move closer to realizing its potential to become the plastic center of the continent by manufacturing these by products. Nothing can stop Nigeria from being the net exporter of fertilizer from the bye products of the oil industry.

I am hopeful but also realistic about this measure. I am also mindful of the situation of our people. this change will mean higher fuel costs in generally. I would be lying if I said this will cause no pain or dislocation. However, it will rational supply and end the hidden buy substantial costs associated with long waits and delays for fuel. The days and hours of waiting for fuel will be a thing of the past.

In a perfect setting, I wish we could have sanitized the subsidy regime and thus continue it. However, I believe that president Buhari correctly understood that there were to many malefactors and flaws in system for that hell to be turned into heaven. Better that we remove it. But I believe he is removing it not for the austere purpose of saving money but for the nobler purpose of putting those same funds to fairer, more equitable use in order that government might better serve those of us who are truly in utmost need.
Now that the subsidy is being phased-out, we should simultaneously phase in social programs benefiting the poorest, most vulnerable among us. Programs such as transportation grants, school feeding, improved basic medical care and coverage for the poor, and potable water projects are profound social objectives that can be funded with the funds that were once going to rentiers and speculators. This way we can use government funds to ensure that fruits go to the hungry, not the already well fed.

Thus, I ask everyone to take a step back to coolly and objectively assess what has been decided. We must not make the mistake of allowing our political and sympathetic attachment to the subsidy blind us to the hard fact that the purpose and benefits of the subsidy had long ago been taken from the common man to reside in the purse of an elite few. We cannot persist in this imbalance and think it will help us to development.

Instead, it is better to end the subsidy and use the funds to establish well-targeted anti-poverty programs that actually assist the people in need. true, this measure will increase fuel cost in the immediate term. here, government must be vigilant to ensure market forces are allowed to work and to bring about a fair balance between supply, demand and longer-term price. Collusion and manipulation of the market cannot be allowed.
If government sets the system fairly, it will ensure better supply and with it economic certainty. Over the longer term, it will boost investment that can spur employment in this and related sectors. Perhaps more importantly, it will liberate money that this government may now use to lower the social costs of living for our brothers and sisters who really need the help.

While this may not be perfect, it is a much better deal than the one the subsidy offered us.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Experts Speak On Tinubu’s Plan For Exchange Rates, Subsidy by Tonytonex(m): 7:27am On Dec 26, 2022
YorubaIsGreat:

https://thenationonlineng.net/experts-x-ray-tinubus-plan-on-exchange-rates-subsidy/
anybody that finished reading all that, tried. No time abeg. Too long.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kogi Tribunal: Anything Can Happen / Recession: FG Releases Fresh N350bn To Boost Economy / Ononuju Asks Amaechi To Resign Over Deal Conceding Nigeria Sovereignty To China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.