Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. (612 Views)

Agberos Are Now On Nairaland / The Most Humble King: His Royal Majesty Eze G.N. Ineke, The Echemugo 1 Of Abba-o / Motivational Thursday: Be Humble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by Calexzy(m): 8:21am On Dec 26, 2022
Christmas is a season set aside to celebrate the birth of our Lord and personal savior, but these agberos weren't having it. In fact, they were about to send someone back to heaven tonight.
This is the first time I'm getting to spend Christmas in Lagos myself. Adulthood signs hit so fast. I have been observing some mental frustration, a.k.a. "madness", among residents, and this was a sight that stopped me to watch. I'll term this 'agbero brutality' because if not, what else can this be?
I had just spent worthwhile hours with a relative who lived nearby so I decided to chill with family and as I returned, I witnessed.... omo, I'll have to change this to 'wetin my eyes see!!'

So I was almost home, and while I was helping someone with directions, #new me for area don de give person direction already...
The next thing that I heard was tyre screech from about ten feet from my standing point. Trust me, I've never been so unaware of my environment. As I de turn my head, I de hear multiple slaps and bangs on this black Toyota Tacoma truck. The saying "curiosity kills the cat" is a true fact, as I shifted to a safer angle for me to view the entire drama.
Well, this one wasn't staged like the ones you watch on Instagram all day, and I'm about to paint the scenario for you in detail.

There was a guy up front who stopped the vehicle, and the other was at the driver's door. He bursts the driver's glass and starts throwing punches while attempting to open the door, which has been locked from the inside. The punches kept going in and never stopped, as I didn't see who was at the receiving end. I was so clueless as to what must have transpired between the thugs and the driver because I've never seen someone being beaten this badly, except for theft. It didn't stop there; as the agberos struggled to get inside, you could tell it was a war because it took three agberos to get a single man out of a car. I've never seen a man so strong. They pulled hard.. really hard and this guy was still struggling to remain inside. as if he knew his fate immediately he steps out. One of them opened the trunk and started removing goods and throwing them on the road and to different places. People even started taking some of them and fleeing. I just said to myself, "How can this be practically correct?" One guy reached into the vehicle and removed an iPhone (has to be the 12 or 13 Pro) and took custody of it. Oga was finally out of the car... Bringing him out was like trying to put a cat's back on the floor.
His face had swollen, and his white singlet had turned red. Blood was everywhere. By this time, traffic was everywhere and cars were stagnant.
I was left out in places where a lot of Yoruba was used to communicate amongst the thugs as slaps followed each sentence. It was like watching a Korean movie without subtitles (not saying I watch K drama anyway). Curiosity again! I took a step forward and asked, "Chairman, abeg wetin happen?" "Wetin them de talk?" I asked a man in his forties who couldn't possibly change it for me.
His reply left me stunned.
From that time until this very moment, I still can't fathom if he deserved such treatment from the agberos. The man in his forties said to me, "They are saying he hit someone and tried escaping." Now, I'm not certain if he hit a car or a person, but it was about that.
From my experience with the Agberos so far in this town, I don't see them as bad people exactly. I just see really motivated people who show up irrespective of the odds against them. They are on the roads early and try to make a living. Nevertheless, there are bad eggs as well as among us who act morally distinct. They also help me navigate my stops properly; how nice...
Another thing that really got me was that as I tried to study the man being assaulted, he didn't seem innocent. I didn't just judge at first glance, but I've been there, and when I see people wrongfully treated, something feels different. It looks like he embraced what was brought upon him like he deserved worse. In less than five minutes, a man grooving in his ride looking soft was brought to zero. anyone who knows him and ran into him at that moment wouldn't understand what nor how.
Before I could finish my study (detective feeling), everywhere scattered. Everyone took to heels, and before you say abracadabra, I was already flaunting my athletic abilities, flying over cars, and even competing with an aboki bike man.
I got to realize it is true that in Nigeria, you do not need to see what is chasing others but to keep running away, Best if you found out later. I figured I had cut my freshly launched Croc. What a Christmas to remember! My best guess is that the cops turned up, but when did we start having cops?�� (If they carry you, they fit charge you with attempted murder like that) besides, I've had my first share with these people and their doings (Story for another day).
Please let me know what you think about this, and I have two thoughts:
These agberos no de do anyhow reach like that. He must have forked up really bad to be manhandled that way
Jungle justice shouldn't be a thing anymore. There should be a proper way of settling these things but where the system isn't reliable, It promotes things like this.
Well, let me know your thoughts. Merry Christmas to you. Bye.
Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by money121(m): 8:24am On Dec 26, 2022
Ok
Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by fman(m): 9:59am On Dec 26, 2022
U really gat time to type this gibberish!!

1 Like

Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by Calexzy(m): 1:50am On Dec 27, 2022
fman:

And you had time to read it�

1 Like

Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by Pharmsavi: 1:52am On Dec 27, 2022
fman:
You have a problem with your thinking faculty
Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by fman(m): 6:24am On Dec 27, 2022
Pharmsavi:

You have a problem with your thinking faculty
mentioning me is a clear indication that you deserve a quick psychological and physical evaluation.

1 Like

Re: This Just Topped My Christmas Experience; Lagos Agberos Will Humble You. by fman(m): 6:26am On Dec 27, 2022
Calexzy:

And you had time to read it�
and you had time to quote me!!
Please desist from that act!!
Find it within your heart to resist that tempting urge of mentioning me.
Thanks for understanding.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

History Of Iloro Ekiti / In One Word, Describe This / French And Yoruba Similar System Of Assimilation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.