Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? (3545 Views)

My First Month At The ALX Software Engineering Programme / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Alx Software Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by KingDavidJnrr: 8:07pm On Dec 26, 2022
Tech is a trendy topic on the web, these days, as everybody seem to be talking about it. Well, the present world is drifting towards tech. So, it's not a surprise, anyways.

Some of you would have read or heard about ALX Software Engineering program. And the usual question is, "does it worth it?"

Yes, ALX worth it. It's an intensive 12 month program that places you on rigorous tasks, with a required commitment of 70 hours per week. Considering the amazing career benefits that come along with software engineering, definitely devoting 12 months to ALX is worth it.

I actually found out that ALX is affiliated to Holberton School — A computer science school in California. Regular students at Holberton pay a total sum of $85,000 in two years just to earn a nanodegree in Software Engineering from Holberton. ALX students, get this same schooling for free in just a year.

However, becoming a graduate with ALX is not a rollercoaster ride. This is my 2nd month in the program and I can tell you that it hasn't been easy at all. I had to resign from my regular job at Multichoice, just to devote my entire time to the program. This decision helped to scale through the probation phase as I was able to score an aggregate of 145% during the first month.

It has not been easy but the grit and passion to chasing my tech ambition keep me driving ahead. Presently, course fees for 2022 applications are waived as a result of funding by Mastercard company. The registration for 2022 Cohort 12 is still ongoing and will end by January 11 2023.

If tech is your calling, you can still make use of that opportunity to get yourself started.

I will be updating this thread from time to time.

1 Like

Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by muhamadnur: 8:12pm On Dec 26, 2022
KingDavidJnrr:
Tech is a trendy topic on the web, these days, as everybody seem to be talking about it. Well, the present world is drifting towards tech. So, it's not a surprise, anyways.

Some of you would have read or heard about ALX Software Engineering program. And the usual question is, "does it worth it?"

Yes, ALX worth it. It's an intensive 12 month program that places you on rigorous tasks, with a required commitment of 70 hours per week. Considering the amazing career benefits that come along with software engineering, definitely devoting 12 months to ALX is worth it.

I actually found out that ALX is affiliated to Holberton School — A computer science school in California. Regular students at Holberton pay a total sum of $85,000 in two years just to earn a nanodegree in Software Engineering from Holberton. ALX students, get this same schooling for free in just a year.

However, becoming a graduate with ALX is not a rollercoaster ride. This is my 2nd month in the program and I can tell you that it hasn't been easy at all. I had to resign from my regular job at Multichoice, just to devote my entire time to the program. This decision helped to scale through the probation phase as I was able to score an aggregate of 145% during the first month.

It has not been easy but the grit and passion to chasing my tech ambition keep me driving ahead. Presently, course fees for 2022 applications are waived as a result of funding by Mastercard company. The registration for 2022 Cohort 12 is still ongoing and will end by January 11 2023.

If tech is your calling, you can still make use of that opportunity to get yourself started.

I will be updating this thread from time to time.

1 Like

Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by muhamadnur: 8:14pm On Dec 26, 2022
I was selected but is it really worth it because i have even started preparing for it learning python, html, css
Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by KingDavidJnrr: 8:14pm On Dec 26, 2022
Welcome to the league, bro.
I guess you're in Cohort 12. The batch that will commence by January ending, if I'm right.

1 Like

Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by KingDavidJnrr: 8:18pm On Dec 26, 2022
muhamadnur:
I was selected but is it really worth it because i have even started preparing for it learning python, html, css

Definitely, it's worth it but I will advise you to learn C Programming, in advance, instead. During the probation phase, most of your projects will be on C language.

1 Like

Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by Sapeleboy911(m): 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2022
muhamadnur:
I was selected but is it really worth it because i have even started preparing for it learning python, HTML, css

You won't be needing Html, CSS, or Javascript anytime soon. You should start with learning the Unix command line interface (CLI), and editors like vim and emacs, git & GitHub, bash scripting, then C in that order. The sandbox you will be using is a Unix-like machine (ubuntu). With little or no graphic user interface (GUI), You will be doing almost everything from your terminal. Learn and practice how to use the command line, very well. And your journey with ALX shouldn't be score driven. Else you will be doing more harm than good to yourself. To be honest for a complete beginner ALX will be very daunting and frustrating, and be prepared to battle imposter syndrome and burnout.

You will learn the Linux command line, editors like vim, emacs, git & github, bash scripting, C, Python, Javascript, and lots of other things all in a space of one year. The time frame for me is too short.

1 Like

Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by Deicide: 8:48pm On Dec 26, 2022
There is one quote I love though....."Doing hard things"
Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by muhamadnur: 9:15pm On Dec 26, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

You won't be needing Html, CSS, or Javascript anytime soon. You should start with learning the Unix command line interface (CLI), and editors like vim and emacs, git & GitHub, bash scripting, then C in that order. The sandbox you will be using is a Unix-like machine (ubuntu). With little or no graphic user interface (GUI), You will be doing almost everything from your terminal. Learn and practice how to use the command line, very well. And your journey with ALX shouldn't be score driven. Else you will be doing more harm than good to yourself. To be honest for a complete beginner ALX will be very daunting and frustrating, and be prepared to battle imposter syndrome and burnout.

You will learn the Linux command line, editors like vim, emacs, git & github, bash scripting, C, Python, Javascript, and lots of other things all in a space of one year. The time frame for me is too short.
thank you sir advice taken.

Stay blessed
Re: Does ALX Software Engineering Really Worth It? by Dayaa: 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2022
It's 100% worth it.

The program is rigorous, not the actual coursework of normal programming itself, but the way it's been taught and the extracurriculars to test the knowledge of the student.

(1) (Reply)

Salary Range for Sidmach, Etranzact, Appzone, KPMG / Cyber Security In Nigeria! / Please Help Look At My Code (what is wrong with my code )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.