Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,734 members, 7,831,337 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State (1178 Views)

Lagos Is Yoruba State And Yoruba Land- Yul Edochie / Apart From Lagos,which Other Yoruba State Can Obi Get 25%? / FACTCHECK: Was Kwara Governor Chased Away By Decamping APC Members? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Bonavi: 6:25am On Dec 27, 2022
How come the influential Kwarans bear northern names? Are there still Yorubas in Kwara or have they been driven out?

1 Like

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by ipobarecriminals: 6:36am On Dec 27, 2022
undecided sad Kwara sound like Hausa name to your ears undecided?

4 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Sammy07: 6:52am On Dec 27, 2022
Bonavi:
How come the influential Kwarans bear northern names? Are there still Yorubas in Kwara or have they been driven out?

1. Post names of influential Kwarans bear northern names.

2. does Ilorin, Offa, Omu aran, oro, Erin Ile, Erin Mope, Ijagbo, Ipee, share, Igosun, ilemona, iraa, ajase, Isin and many other towns sounds Edo names to you?

3. All governors from 99 are all Yoruba

4. Yorubas fully occupied 12 out of the 16 LG. And can be found in other 4 lg

7 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by falcon01: 7:12am On Dec 27, 2022
Bonavi:
Northern names or Muslim Names?
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by drips8(m): 7:38am On Dec 27, 2022
The state is multi ethnic one. Yorubas are the majority (12 LGAs) mostly in the Southern part. Followed by the Nupes (2 LGAs) and Barubas( 2 LGAs). The Fulanis are only found in Ilorin and they're mostly mixed with Yoruba, people like Dele Belgore and Saraki.

The current governor and his deputy are both Yorubas, he just happens to have Arabic names, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq and Kayode Alabi.

Ilorin is the capital and most popular area, so when some people try to describe Kwara, they're actually describing Ilorin.

4 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Plus10(m): 7:46am On Dec 27, 2022
drips8:
The state is multi ethnic one. Yorubas are the majority (12 LGAs) mostly in the Southern part. Followed by the Nupes (2 LGAs) and Barubas( 2 LGAs). The Fulanis are only found in Ilorin and they're mostly mixed with Yoruba, people like Dele Belgore and Saraki.

The current governor and his deputy are both Yorubas, he just happens to have Arabic names, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq and Kayode Alabi.

Ilorin is the capital and most popular area, so when some people try to describe Kwara, they're actually describing Ilorin.
Are fulanis originally from kwara?

1 Like

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by HeartlessMan: 8:15am On Dec 27, 2022
If dem born Afonja well make dem install Oba of Ilorin and see wetin go happen. I don't like typing too much. grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by AirFireEarthH20: 8:32am On Dec 27, 2022
drips8:

Interesting! If Yorubas occupy 12 LGAs as you said, that's super majority and Fulani only found in Ilorin, that means Fulani is less than 5% of the total population, meaning super minority. Why then do Yorubas and every other person in Kwara obey and bow to the Emir of Ilorin, a super minority King?

1 Like

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by drips8(m): 9:27am On Dec 27, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

Interesting! If Yorubas occupy 12 LGAs as you said, that's super majority and Fulani only found in Ilorin, that means Fulani is less than 5% of the total population, meaning super minority. Why then do Yorubas and every other person in Kwara obey and bow to the Emir of Ilorin, a super minority King?

This is false, there is the Kwara state traditional council which the Emir I think was elected to and heads, but other than that he has no authority over the people. The people of Ilorin respect the Emir and this is due to islam, but not the other Yorubas. A person from Omu Aran, Offa or Ekiti doesn't care for the Emir. Same for a Nupe person from Lafiagi or a Baruba from Kaiama.

The true man in charge is the governor, the only reason the Emir seemed important was due to the Saraki's family influence, the current one only ascended due to the elder Saraki and honestly considering Kwara state's history he was the top dog but currently the family's influence is waning.

5 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by drips8(m): 9:30am On Dec 27, 2022
Plus10:

Are fulanis originally from kwara?

Nah, they migrated there in the 1800s and now are mostly mixed, they only claim Fulani for politics so that the actual ones from the core North would recognize them.
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 27, 2022
Sammy07:

1. Post names of influential Kwarans bear northern names.

2. does Ilorin, Offa, Omu aran, oro, Erin Ile, Erin Mope, Ijagbo, Ipee, share, Igosun, ilemona, iraa, ajase, Isin and many other towns sounds Edo names to you?

3. All governors from 99 are all Yoruba

4. Yorubas fully occupied 12 out of the 16 LG. And can be found in other 4 lg

You guys have time. The op is just another ignorant yiibo who's always proud to show his ignorance publicly.

2 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by AirFireEarthH20: 10:24am On Dec 27, 2022
drips8:

This is false, there is the Kwara state traditional council which the Emir I think was elected to and heads, but other than that he has no authority over the people. The people of Ilorin respect the Emir and this is due to islam, but not the other Yorubas. A person from Omu Aran, Offa or Ekiti doesn't care for the Emir. Same for a Nupe person from Lafiagi or a Baruba from Kaiama.

The true man in charge is the governor, the only reason the Emir seemed important was due to the Saraki's family influence, the current one only ascended due to the elder Saraki and honestly considering Kwara state's history he was the top dog but currently the family's influence is waning.

You're being contradictory. Let me ask you again since you've already confirmed Emir is the head of Kwara State traditional council. All educated people know Emir is always the head in perpetuity in Kwara State, a state you confirmed too by yourself has super Yoruba majority. Why is Fulani Emir With less than 5% population the head of Kwara State traditional council?
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Chinjo2: 10:29am On Dec 27, 2022
Kwara as a state is a yoruba state though located in north central. Ilorin as the state capital has four baloguns divided equally by the Yorubas and fulanis. Balogun Gambari and Balogun Fulanis are Fulanis while Balogun Alanamu and Balogun Ajikobi are Yorubas. The state is a predominantly yoruba speaking state except places like lafiagi, Baccita, Patigi, who speak Tampa/nupe. Ilorin, Shao, Omupo, Ajase Ipo, Omuaran, Oro, Ekiti, Ijagbo, Esie, Offa, Ilemona, Erin Ile and others all speak yoruba.
For political gains an average politicians from kwara will always claim he is from the north so as to get favour from the Hausas.

2 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 10:42am On Dec 27, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

You're being contradictory. Let me ask you again since you've already confirmed Emir is the head of Kwara State traditional council. All educated people know Emir is always the head in perpetuity in Kwara State, a state you confirmed too by yourself has super Yoruba majority. Why is Fulani Emir With less than 5% population the head of Kwara State traditional council?

It is a southwest disease of illiteracy. They will never vote for a white men of Foreigner but rather they will go and vote for an idiot illiterate from the North. In UK America and Europe this is the illiteracy of Yoruba tribe every minute they'll be fighting the white people and voting for fulanis. Illiteracy is there problem. All over the world they will surrender themselves and their children to a donkey which can do not think.

Illiteracy is their biggest problem and the only support donkeys and what for donkeys. They have the same mentality with the hausa people where they have to surrender themselves to somebody which can do not nothing

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by drips8(m): 11:00am On Dec 27, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

I don't know how he became head of the traditional council. I think he was elected, but the traditional council doesn't meddle in the politics of the state, they have only been active with mundane things like the traditional rulers allowances or the usual goodwill messages, and there are other first class king in the state.

The Emir is subject to the governor same with other rulers, the Emir could always try to influence the governor but only if the governor agrees. The governor could but doesn't have any reason to remove him, unlike what happened in Kano. The Emir is only important in the Ilorin Emirates.
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by AirFireEarthH20: 11:32am On Dec 27, 2022
drips8:

I don't know how he became head of the traditional council. I think he was elected, but the traditional council doesn't meddle in the politics of the state, they have only been active with mundane things like the traditional rulers allowances or the usual goodwill messages, and there are other first class king in the state.

The Emir is subject to the governor same with other rulers, the Emir could always try to influence the governor but only if the governor agrees. The governor could but doesn't have any reason to remove him, unlike what happened in Kano. The Emir is only important in the Ilorin Emirates.
You still have not answered a direct question I posed to you why someone from a super minority tribe is the head of Kwara State traditional council in perpetuity, instead, you're going on a voyage to uncharted waters. Adios!
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by christistruth01: 1:21pm On Dec 27, 2022
Ilorin was already taken over by Balogun Alanamu a Yoruba man who was the Ruler Of Ilorin when the British Arrived

balogun alanamu became the Ruler Of Ilorin after the last Emir Momoh had been defeated by him and the Yoruba Chiefs
Emir Momoh had then burnt himself alive inside his Palace

The rest is Tribal Politics and even Zik was involved

When his and Balewa Govt failed to hold the Referendum they promised the British before

being granted independence because they knew Kwara would vote to Join Awolowo’s Western Region

Instead they had the Midwest Referendum to divide the West and failed to hold the ones for the

Eastern and Northern Region Minorities

The Emir had been deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

balogun alanamu And Ilorin fought the British and he was exiled to jebba after the British defeated him.

It was the British that reinstaled an Emir in Ilorin after the defeat of balogun Yoruba Inakoju alanamu due to Political Pressure from Northern Emirs .

The Emir of Ilorin had been soundly defeated and deposed by the Ilorin Yoruba Chiefs before the British arrived.

The British left at Independence after an agreement was made to have a referendum Kwara State.

The Post independence Government of Balewa and Azikiwe frustrated that referendum by not carrying out the Kwara referendum which should have happened at the same time as the Midwest referendum in order to cripple Awolowo and his Party Politically after Awolowo had been jailed in 1962

Balewa and Azikiwe also didn't Carry out the other referendums agreed with the British before independence meant for the Eastern and Northern Minority Ethnic groups.

Apart from that Ilorin has already Been Completely encircled with more than 30 Towns with

Crowned Obas

1 Like

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Rolings: 1:24pm On Dec 27, 2022
HeartlessMan:
If dem born Afonja well make dem install Oba of Ilorin and see wetin go happen. I don't like typing too much. grin

Save the epistle you want to type to when igbos install an Obi or Eze in igweocha.
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by Rolings: 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

Mistakes of history.
At the time of fulani incursion into yorubaland....it was Afonjas betrayal or Aoles curse that made a Yorubaland Ilorin come under the banner of sokoto.
But hey its no big deal....examples abound the world over.....
Turkey used to belong to Christians

Babylon is in Todays Iraq

Persia used to belong to people who beleieved in Zoroastrianism.

King charles used to be prince of wales

Theres nothing descendants of people from places with this type of situation can do no matter the amount pf threads like this opened to make jest of them.....
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2022
AirFireEarthH20:

You still have not answered a direct question I posed to you why someone from a super minority tribe is the head of Kwara State traditional council in perpetuity, instead, you're going on a voyage to uncharted waters. Adios!

I will answer that question the people are illiterate they will fight the white man and surrender themselves to a donkey. This is their behaviour on over the world they believe they are special but they are piece of shit. You stick them in America fully themselves they are the most educated blacks when in employment they are number nine African 90% of their women are doing prostitution in America. At the end of the day they can open their mouth.

It happens nothing to do with the government the Citizens are illiterate I have met a lot of them in Sweden and Brazil. Give some of them some change you can Bleep their whole family with no problem
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by juman(m): 7:49pm On Dec 27, 2022
Kwara state is originally state for the kwarans.
Our tribe is kwara. A unique tribe.
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by juman(m): 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2022
Today, traditional rulers are powerless.
According to constitution, they are under local government chairman.
The chairman can remove them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by ejimatic: 7:56pm On Dec 27, 2022
Bonavi:
I once selected about 50 people from Ilorin and asked them their names of their Family compounds .To KY surprise they gave me fifty family compounds which are Yoruba names. My concern is who has Ilorin? Yoruba or Fulani? Mr study though tentative confirms that Ilorin is a traditionally a Yoruba town!
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by chrisxxx(m): 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2022
I was born in Ilorin and did my nysc in Ilorin. There is no difference today between the Yorubas a d Fulanis. The Fulanis have been completely Yorubanised. They speak Yoruba and every of their things Yoruba. It is just by traceable lineage people identify them as Fulanis.
Even the emir sees himself more of Yoruba and this is why there is no segregation among them.
Let's do away with the biter history of the past. If South Africa can accept the Caucasians among them what more a fellow negro ?

2 Likes

Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
chrisxxx:
I was born in Ilorin and did my nysc in Ilorin. There is no difference today between the Yorubas a d Fulanis. The Fulanis have been completely Yorubanised. They speak Yoruba and every of their things Yoruba. It is just by traceable lineage people identify them as Fulanis.
Even the emir sees himself more of Yoruba and this is why there is no segregation among them.
Let's do away with the biter history of the past. If South Africa can accept the Caucasians among them what more a fellow negro ?

Voice of a slave. Somebody which left did British to become Slave to illiterate. This is the problem with Nigeria Nigerian people know in donkey which card do not. The more people we fight and they will follow and accept a donkey. People from South South South West and South East Anyway they go they will get an idiom to real them.
Re: Was Kwara State Originally A Yoruba State by 9japride(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
If Yorubas are in Kwara, why then are the most Yoruba people saying that Igbos are not found in Delta state? I don't understand.

(1) (Reply)

G-5 Governor: Reno Omokri Is Still Wailing, See His Latest Twitter / 2023: It’s Time For South West To Repay My Support For MKO Abiola - Kwankwaso / APC Thug Threatens Those Not Voting APC To Leave The Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.