Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,575 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London (32592 Views)

South-South Governors Set To Float Regional Security outfit / Yahaya Bello: 10 PDP Governors Set To Decamp To APC / Suspension: Crisis Brews As APC Governors Set To Sack Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by ECASH120: 6:15am On Dec 28, 2022
Governor Nyesom Wike and his allies, described as the G-5, on Monday jetted out of the country to the United Kingdom in order to ratify their endorsement of the presidential candidate of the La­bour Party (LP), Peter Obi, for the 2023 general elections, sources close to the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) aggrieved gover­nors told Daily Independent on Tuesday.

According to the sources, while in the United Kingdom, the five governors will strategise on what to do and how to ensure that their chosen presidential candidate wins the 2023 presidential election. ­

Governors Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Okezie Ik­peazu (Abia State), Sam­uel Ortom (Benue), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu) have re­fused to support their par­ty’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, citing in­justice in the party.

They have been in the forefront for the removal of the PDP National Chair­man, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, as a condition to support the presidential candidate of the PDP, angling for a Southerner to take over from Ayu for regional bal­ance.

Governor Wike, by ex­tension the G-5, while in­augurating the Rumuok­wurusi- Elimgbu Flyover (10th flyover) in Rumuok­wurusi town, Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, promised to unveil to Nigerians his preferred candidate for the presidency of the country in January.

Speaking with Daily In­dependent, on Tuesday, one of the sources privy to the meetings of the G-5, said that the UK meeting is to ratify their decision on the support of Peter Obi.

“The five governors trav­eled to the United Kingdom on Monday to strategise and take their final deci­sion on who to support ahead of the 2023 presi­dential election. The per­son they are supporting is Peter Obi,” the source said.

It would be recalled that while Wike had been telling his people in Rivers State that he would announce the presidential candidate they will support for the 2023 election, the direction of the G-5 was clearer on Christmas day when the Labour Party (LP) presi­dential candidate, Peter Obi, visited the internally displaced persons (IDPs) camps in Benue State.

The governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, who received Obi, told Nigeri­ans that the best person to rescue the nation is the LP presidential candidate, adding that he is the best person who can solve Nige­ria’s socioeconomic prob­lems.

Ortom praised Peter Obi for visiting the camps of IDPs to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with them, adding, “Several presiden­tial candidates have come here, and none of them have chosen to visit those IDP camps and look at their plight to see how they are doing and give them hope that when they win, they will bring them succour, help, and hope.

“For you to have chosen to visit the IDPs on a Christ­mas day that you should be celebrating with your fam­ily, for me as a Christian, I say God will bless you and your aspiration. My prayer is that God will bless your aspiration to be the presi­dent of this country.

“Because I have seen capacity, faith, and hope, and I have seen someone who can bring the re­quired equity, justice, and fairness that I have been pursuing since I became governor in 2015. If I were not in PDP, I would have been following you all over the place to canvass and vote for you.

“But because I’m in PDP, I’m telling Nigerians that this man can help deliver this country from its chal­lenges.”

Recall that Wike had fall­en out with the PDP leader­ship and the party’s pres­idential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, shortly after the party’s presidential prima­ry, where Atiku emerged as the candidate of the PDP.

This development gener­ated bad blood in the party as Wike had thought he was the candidate to beat. The stepping down of Aminu Tambuwal, the Sokoto State governor, for Atiku, changed the narrative in the presidential primary that was held in Abuja.

While those that were in the camp of Wike and oth­ers who lost at the prima­ry election were trying to come to terms with what happened, the action of the party’s national chair­man, Ayu, fueled the crisis in the party at that time, when, instead of reaching out to those who lost at the primary, he decided to pitch his tent with the win­ner, and even described Tambuwal as the hero of democracy.

The anger in Wike’s camp was, however, inten­sified when Atiku decided to take Ifeanyi Okowa, the governor of Delta State as his running mate, against the alleged decision of the committee set up to look for a running mate among those interested in the of­fice, who voted in favour of Wike.

Efforts to pacify Wike, who at this time was en­joying the support of some governors and stakehold­ers in the party, proved abortive, as his demands were not meant by the party and the presidential candidate.

Even though Atiku had said he had met with Wike about five times to resolve issues in the party, Wike’s utterances in the past few months especially from live telecasts, where he was commissioning projects in Rivers State, showed he had already made up his mind on what to do.

The decision to shut the presidential campaign office of Atiku in Rivers State through executive order was interpreted by some concerned PDP mem­bers to mean that Wike had made up his mind not to support PDP in the forth­coming 2023 presidential election.
https://independent.ng/2023-presidency-g-5-in-uk-to-ratify-peter-obis-endorsement/

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by jlinkd78(m): 6:16am On Dec 28, 2022
Noted

7 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by ECASH120: 6:17am On Dec 28, 2022
cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, mukina2, seun

3 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Eriokanmi: 6:18am On Dec 28, 2022
Before nko? Who no know beta thing. Their body languages had shown from the beginning. They'd ensure winning pdp seats in their respective states while they'd later decamp to LP. That's the idea.

In urchins words, Tinubu is popular in the south west like Pa Awo was, in those days. LMAO

The above will be my signature until after election. Urchins, note!

185 Likes 6 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by ECASH120: 6:19am On Dec 28, 2022
Who will now say that LP has no structure

165 Likes 10 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by dele1727: 6:20am On Dec 28, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Before nko? Who no know beta thing. Their body languages had shown from the beginning. They'd ensure their successors win pdp seats and later decamp to LP. That's the idea.

grin grin grin
I hope they will not be enemies of progress when they go for a different candidate

75 Likes 10 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Eriokanmi: 6:24am On Dec 28, 2022
dele1727:

grin grin grin
I hope they will not be enemies of progress when they go for a different candidate
Don't even go there cheesy

14 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Antoeni(m): 6:30am On Dec 28, 2022
G5 is Atiku's Nightmare ,
A Torment Group, May God not Let them have a change of mind at any point in time

143 Likes 7 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by ECASH120: 6:32am On Dec 28, 2022
God is working for Peter Obi

179 Likes 15 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 6:36am On Dec 28, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Before nko? Who no know beta thing. Their body languages had shown from the beginning. They'd ensure winning pdp seats in their respective states while they'd later decamp to LP. That's the idea.

In urchins words, Tinubu is popular in the south west like Pa Awo was, in those days. LMAO

The above will be my signature until after election. Urchins, note!

Likening Tinubu to Awolowo who never won any Presidential election grin
shows Tinubu will not become President.

96 Likes 9 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by ECASH120: 6:38am On Dec 28, 2022
They will have more relevance if they support obi. Most of Obi's supporters are former PDP members including Obasanjo.

The G5 governors can become the structure of labour party and will get key appointments if Obi wins but in APC which key appointment will be given to Wike when rotimi Amaechi is there, when El-Rufai, lai Mohammed etc and all Buhari's cabinet.

The G5 governors will be treated as visitors and guests in APC

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Aiel123: 6:46am On Dec 28, 2022
dele1727:

grin grin grin
Yes oo
If the G-5 governors decides not to support Obi...you know what will happen

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by mrvitalis(m): 6:50am On Dec 28, 2022
Truth is obi can over them control of the national assembly ...this is something neither PDP or APC can offer

Obi is not a politician that drags party structure he just want to serve and go home which is why I was angry with kwankwaso ...Peter obi is not a politician uncle just want to serve ... kwankwaso would have been in absolute control of the party structure

If the G 5 endorse Peter obi ...then obi has shifted from top contender to the candidate to beat

He would sweep South south minus Delta by 80% minimum , even Delta 50% sure for am

South east swooping would be absolute and total

With wike financial war chest ...45% of middle belt is sure and 40% of south west is sure

Still think money need to be thrown in southern brono, gombe , Bauchi, yobe and Adamawa ...to see if 2 can give 25% ...taraba and Kaduna is very very very winnable absolutely

102 Likes 16 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by highchief1: 6:54am On Dec 28, 2022
ECASH120:
Governor Nyesom Wike and his allies, described as the G-5, on Monday jetted out of the country to the United Kingdom in order to ratify their endorsement of the presidential candidate of the La­bour Party (LP), Peter Obi, for the 2023 general elections, sources close to the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) aggrieved gover­nors told Daily Independent on Tuesday.

According to the sources, while in the United Kingdom, the five governors will strategise on what to do and how to ensure that their chosen presidential candidate wins the 2023 presidential election. ­

Governors Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Okezie Ik­peazu (Abia State), Sam­uel Ortom (Benue), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), and Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu) have re­fused to support their par­ty’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, citing in­justice in the party.

They have been in the forefront for the removal of the PDP National Chair­man, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, as a condition to support the presidential candidate of the PDP, angling for a Southerner to take over from Ayu for regional bal­ance.

Governor Wike, by ex­tension the G-5, while in­augurating the Rumuok­wurusi- Elimgbu Flyover (10th flyover) in Rumuok­wurusi town, Obio-Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, promised to unveil to Nigerians his preferred candidate for the presidency of the country in January.

Speaking with Daily In­dependent, on Tuesday, one of the sources privy to the meetings of the G-5, said that the UK meeting is to ratify their decision on the support of Peter Obi.

“The five governors trav­eled to the United Kingdom on Monday to strategise and take their final deci­sion on who to support ahead of the 2023 presi­dential election. The per­son they are supporting is Peter Obi,” the source said.

It would be recalled that while Wike had been telling his people in Rivers State that he would announce the presidential candidate they will support for the 2023 election, the direction of the G-5 was clearer on Christmas day when the Labour Party (LP) presi­dential candidate, Peter Obi, visited the internally displaced persons (IDPs) camps in Benue State.

The governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, who received Obi, told Nigeri­ans that the best person to rescue the nation is the LP presidential candidate, adding that he is the best person who can solve Nige­ria’s socioeconomic prob­lems.

Ortom praised Peter Obi for visiting the camps of IDPs to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ with them, adding, “Several presiden­tial candidates have come here, and none of them have chosen to visit those IDP camps and look at their plight to see how they are doing and give them hope that when they win, they will bring them succour, help, and hope.

“For you to have chosen to visit the IDPs on a Christ­mas day that you should be celebrating with your fam­ily, for me as a Christian, I say God will bless you and your aspiration. My prayer is that God will bless your aspiration to be the presi­dent of this country.

“Because I have seen capacity, faith, and hope, and I have seen someone who can bring the re­quired equity, justice, and fairness that I have been pursuing since I became governor in 2015. If I were not in PDP, I would have been following you all over the place to canvass and vote for you.

“But because I’m in PDP, I’m telling Nigerians that this man can help deliver this country from its chal­lenges.”

Recall that Wike had fall­en out with the PDP leader­ship and the party’s pres­idential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, shortly after the party’s presidential prima­ry, where Atiku emerged as the candidate of the PDP.

This development gener­ated bad blood in the party as Wike had thought he was the candidate to beat. The stepping down of Aminu Tambuwal, the Sokoto State governor, for Atiku, changed the narrative in the presidential primary that was held in Abuja.

While those that were in the camp of Wike and oth­ers who lost at the prima­ry election were trying to come to terms with what happened, the action of the party’s national chair­man, Ayu, fueled the crisis in the party at that time, when, instead of reaching out to those who lost at the primary, he decided to pitch his tent with the win­ner, and even described Tambuwal as the hero of democracy.

The anger in Wike’s camp was, however, inten­sified when Atiku decided to take Ifeanyi Okowa, the governor of Delta State as his running mate, against the alleged decision of the committee set up to look for a running mate among those interested in the of­fice, who voted in favour of Wike.

Efforts to pacify Wike, who at this time was en­joying the support of some governors and stakehold­ers in the party, proved abortive, as his demands were not meant by the party and the presidential candidate.

Even though Atiku had said he had met with Wike about five times to resolve issues in the party, Wike’s utterances in the past few months especially from live telecasts, where he was commissioning projects in Rivers State, showed he had already made up his mind on what to do.

The decision to shut the presidential campaign office of Atiku in Rivers State through executive order was interpreted by some concerned PDP mem­bers to mean that Wike had made up his mind not to support PDP in the forth­coming 2023 presidential election.

https://independent.ng/2023-presidency-g-5-in-uk-to-ratify-peter-obis-endorsement/
they won’t endorse any Obi.they will do what they like.seyi will endorse or has already endorsed tinubu.each of them will decide to support who ever they like.the aim is to mess atiku up.outside atiku,they are ready for anyone else.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by highchief1: 6:55am On Dec 28, 2022
ECASH120:
They will have more relevance if they support obi. Most of Obi's supporters are former PDP members including Obasanjo.

The G5 governors can become the structure of labour party and will get key appointments if Obi wins but in APC which key appointment will be given to Wike when rotimi Amaechi is there, when El-Rufai, lai Mohammed etc and all Buhari's cabinet.

The G5 governors will be treated as visitors and guests in APC
you have a point but Obi won’t win it’s too much a gamble for a Gov to risk.it’s only yahoo boys that are supporting Obi

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by cmikel: 6:56am On Dec 28, 2022
Ok

WELL, TINUBU SEEMS LIKE AN ALLY OF THE PRESENT GOVERMENT THAT HAS BROGHT HARDSHIP UPON THE PEOPLE.

THE RUBER STAMP SENATE HE THRONED , MADE THINGS EVEN MORE WORSE BY THE CARELESS APPROVAL OF LOANS AND
EVERY OTHER THINGS COMING FROM PRESIDENDECY MAKING THE COUNTRY FALL INTO MORE DEBT, DEEPER CRISES CAUSING CRASHED ECONOMY, DEVALUED CURRENCY AND EVEN WITH THE PMS SCARCITY ETC.

INTRESTINGLY HE SEES AND SAYS NOTHING EVEN WHEN THINGS ARE GOING WRONG WITH THE COUNTRY AND THIS IS BC HE DOSENT WANT TO LOSE PRESIDENTIAL AND NOTHERN SUPPORT.

NIGERIA NEEDS A MAN WHO WILL DISS HIS FRIENDS AND SAY WHAT IS RIGTE FOR THE SAKE OF A BETTER LIFE FOR THE COUNTRY MEN.

UNFORTUMNATELY AFRICAN POLITICIANS ONLY CARE ABOUT POWER GRAB AND BEEN IN POWER ALL THEIR LIFE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by FORHII: 6:56am On Dec 28, 2022
That would be great

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by highchief1: 6:58am On Dec 28, 2022
mrvitalis:
Truth is obi can over them control of the national assembly ...this is something neither PDP or APC can offer

Obi is not a politician that drags party structure he just want to serve and go home which is why I was angry with kwankwaso ...Peter obi is not a politician uncle just want to serve ... kwankwaso would have been in absolute control of the party structure

If the G 5 endorse Peter obi ...then obi has shifted from top contender to the candidate to beat

He would sweep South south minus Delta by 80% minimum , even Delta 50% sure for am

South east swooping would be absolute and total

With wike financial war chest ...45% of middle belt is sure and 40% of south west is sure

Still think money need to be thrown in southern brono, gombe , Bauchi, yobe and Adamawa ...to see if 2 can give 25% ...taraba and Kaduna is very very very winnable absolutely
u analysis tight bro.very very tight.Obi needs such men to win not this lazy obidients yaho boys that wil be watching bbn or Man U Chelsea match on Election Day

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by fk001(m): 7:31am On Dec 28, 2022
I hope IPOB Bingos won't unleash their venom when the news turn the other way round just as they did to Author Eze.

Now they are hailing them, if they find out that the news is fake as usual they will start insulting the so-called G5 and tagging them as irrelevant

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by atobs4real(m): 7:32am On Dec 28, 2022
At their own risk

2 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 28, 2022
Peter Gregory Obi the incoming president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by JoeNL22(m): 7:32am On Dec 28, 2022
Hmmm
Obi ooo

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by StrongAlphMale: 7:32am On Dec 28, 2022
Obi is a done deal already.

God bless our incoming president peter Babatunde Hassan Oluwadare Ahmed Osamudiamen Obi GCFR president of Nigeria 2023-2031

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by b0rn2fuck(m): 7:32am On Dec 28, 2022
Atiku should just step down, it's foundation is worst, it can collapse anytime. Someone who's started with hatred, divisions, betrayal and enemies within themselves. He can only get votes in the north, even if eventually won, he has a bitter foundation already, even Mr. Emilokan and Osibanjo didn't go this far

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by JoeyNaza: 7:33am On Dec 28, 2022
Bhh
Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by AgubataAkokwa: 7:33am On Dec 28, 2022
With G5 by our side

With GEJ by our side

With IBB by our side

With Nigerians on our side

With Hausa northerners by our side

With IDP and the common Nigerians on our side

PO will be cruising to victory whether tilumbu urchins like it or yes

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by obembet(f): 7:34am On Dec 28, 2022
Power must come back to South.

Tinubu or OBI is what we want.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by RichDad1(m): 7:34am On Dec 28, 2022
Welcome development. Anything to reduce greedy Atiku votes in the south is a good news.

4 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Memphitz357: 7:35am On Dec 28, 2022
Waiting to see what Nairaland's latest resident eediot, CoronaVirusRelo has to say on this.

1 Like

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Akinsete19(m): 7:35am On Dec 28, 2022
Obi own don better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by Jesuschristus: 7:35am On Dec 28, 2022
They should share PDP vote,its good news for APC

8 Likes

Re: G5 Governors Set To Endorse Peter Obi In London by sonofElElyon: 7:35am On Dec 28, 2022
ECASH120:

They may endorse Obi to divide Atiku's votes.. if they don't reconcile with Atiku they'll indirectly support Tinubu by dividing Atiku's votes by supporting Obi

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

$600m Chinese Rail Loan Not Diverted – Okonjo-iweala / 2019: Why PDP Is Yet To Endorse Fayose For President – Makarfi / Protest In Kano Over Court Ruling On New Emirates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.