Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) (3583 Views)

Iphone 13 Series Price In Nigeria, Kenya, And South Africa / Nkosana Makate: "Please Call Me Back" Demands N260 Billion In South Africa / Leagoo Opens Offline Stores In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 4:14pm On Dec 28, 2022
KFC is temporarily closing some of its fried-chicken outlets in South Africa due to power cuts (locally referred to as load shedding) imposed by power utility Eskom.

The Yum! Brands Inc. chain made the decision after the number of loadshedding days passed 200 this year, an ‘unwanted’ record – as reported by The South African website.

According to Bloomberg, Eskom supplies more than 90% of South Africa’s electricity and has implemented nationwide power cuts to prevent the grid from total collapse.

While many of the KFC outlets have generators, its suppliers are not able to provide products due to loadshedding.

“The current constraints are due to load shedding impacting some of our suppliers. We are working hard to sort out all the constraints with our suppliers, and we’ll be open as soon as possible,” the company said in a tweet on Wednesday.

Yum!, based in Kentucky in the United States, owns and franchises more than 25 000 KFC outlets worldwide, around 750 of which are in South Africa.

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by longetivity(m): 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nice one
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Omihanifa: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2022
Don't they have generators to keep running the business

4 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 4:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Omihanifa:
Don't they have generators to keep running the business

It's affecting KFC suppliers as well, so it's a chain reaction of non delivery. Besides SA is still getting used to loadshedding so most people and businesses don't have generators or solar alternatives.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by eliyke(m): 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2022
Some of dis country no knw wetin b generator, unlike one giant of Africa with ancestors as leaders

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2022
South Africa implements loadshedding in order to prevent the grid from collapsing. It's a way of managing demand and supply. The country has over 50,000MW of electricity supply but due to aging infrastructure and engineering flaws at new power plants the grid has come under unprecedented pressure in 2022.

1 Like

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Avatarwan: 5:29pm On Dec 28, 2022
They should come for how to use generator for business training

I personally recommend Nland Mods for them

1 Like

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by dominique(f): 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2022
Businesses in SA should better start looking into alternative power sources.

2 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 6:55pm On Dec 28, 2022
SA's new mega power plants - Medupi and Kusile - hit by massive engineering faults, resulting in loadshedding.

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 7:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
Up NEPA.

They are gradually going the Nigerian way.

1 Like

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:
Up NEPA.

They are gradually going the Nigerian way.

Lol, even just one newly built but faulty SA power station (4,800MW) competes with your entire power generation for over 250 million people in Nigeria.

SA generates over 50,000MW of electricity for just 60 million people.

So I'm suspecting you only get one hour of tax payers electricity in Nigeria.

Here's Medupi and Kusile capacity below.

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by zeuss: 7:42pm On Dec 28, 2022
And so the regression begins..flimsy excuses to scuttle progress....more loading.....westabad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Lol, even just one newly built but faulty SA power station (4,800MW) competes with your entire power generation for over 250 million people in Nigeria.

SA generates over 50,000MW of electricity for just 60 million people.

But shedding power.

You also admit the new build is faulty.

No need to be defensive, work on it.

5 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:47pm On Dec 28, 2022
zeuss:
And so the regression begins..flimsy excuses to scuttle progress....more loading.....westabad.

Power plants commissioned during the Mbeki years, built during the Zuma presidency but contracts awarded to dodgy companies because Zuma was corrupt as we all know. So SA now playing for that mess.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by nairalander2020(m): 7:59pm On Dec 28, 2022
Aleast the rate of murder (chicken) will reduce. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

But shedding power.

You also admit the new build is faulty.

No need to be defensive, work on it.

I'm educating you.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 8:10pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I'm educating you.

You aren't doing sh.it.

Work on your infrastructure else it would go into decay.

7 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:12pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

You aren't doing sh.it.

Work on your infrastructure else it would go into decay.

I'll let Europeans advise us on infrastructure development, not Japagerians constantly ranked amongst the worst countries to live in.

2 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 8:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I'll let Europeans advise us on infrastructure development, not Japagerians constantly ranked amongst the worst countries to live in.

You seem to have an inferiority complex.

8 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

You seem to have an inferiority complex.

I have a superiority complex being a South African. Thanks. Bye.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 8:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

I have a superiority complex being a South African. Thanks. Bye.

You may not respond but this is Nairaland, a Nigerian forum.

We wont miss you.

9 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

You may not respond but this is Nairaland, a Nigerian forum.

We wont miss you.

Parrot69 aka maggot69gaysexposition will miss me. And his boyfriend morpheus101.

As for you you're a non entity.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 8:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Parrot69 aka maggot69gaysexposition will miss me. And his boyfriend morpheus101.

Seems you were sexually abused as a child.

It manifests in the way you write.

Therapy seems not to have helped.

Your uncle still visits you daily and you don't have the guts to confront him.

Shame.

9 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:45pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

Seems you were sexually abused as a child.

It manifests in the way you write.

Therapy seems not to have helped.

Your uncle still visits you daily and you don't have the guts to confront him.

Shame.

Your uncle is selling drugs and scamming in dark corners across South Africa as a Japagerian. SA is already building a huge wall coz we see you're about to willingly elect a half-dead politician with one bust-up knee and foot in the grave as your president. Massive japaring loading...

We'll be laughing silently in Pretoria grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Your uncle is selling drugs and scamming in dark corners across South Africa as a Japagerian. SA is already building a huge wall coz we see you're about to willingly elect a half-dead politician with one bust-up knee and foot in the grave as your president. Massive japaring loading...

We'll be laughing silently in Pretoria grin

Attend to your childhood issue of abuse.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
Roboto11:

Attend to your childhood issue of abuse.

God will send a wayward snake or rat into your yard in the morning so you can enjoy festive season pepper soup. The rest of us enjoying European lifestyles will send R1.

Please, I'm actually a nice person. Can people please stop provoking me.

Nice Nigerians please intervene.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by TheSourcerer: 9:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

calm down man with the unnesesary pokes smiley
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Roboto11: 9:11pm On Dec 28, 2022
WannaHowzit:

God will send a wayward snake or rat into your yard in the morning so you can enjoy festive season pepper soup. The rest of us enjoying European lifestyles will send R1.

Boy you do have a complex.

Child abuse is one thing but to see yourself as inferior...

You need prayers.

4 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Spanishmilf(m): 9:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
Why is this in the Phone section tho
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Stargangz: 9:22pm On Dec 28, 2022
As a Nigerian, I hate people defending a hopeless nation with no bright future ahead, the most shitholed nation with dumbass leaders who doesn't even care for its citizens, leaders who squandered and embezzled money meant to improve and upgrade the lifes of its citizens. Police kills innocent citizens at will, bandits and kidnappings everywhere, their is no jobs for the youths, majority of its citizens living in penury. Dont ever compare 9ja to Benin or Togo not to talk of SA, 9ja is a complete mess because nothing good could be attributed to the corruption and poverty capital of the world!

6 Likes

Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
Spanishmilf:
Why is this in the Phone section tho

Tech news, electricity.

I get the anti SA undertones.
Re: Why is KFC Closing 750 stores in South Africa? (PICS) by Starboytwo(m): 9:40pm On Dec 28, 2022
Op just wanted to bash.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

N70,n72 And N73 / Between Nokia E6 And A Bb Bold 6 / World’s Most Valuable Company Is No Longer Apple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.