Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria (2497 Views)

Meet Flora Nwapa, Africa`s First Woman Novelist And First Novel Publisher / Flora Nwapa, First Female Novelist / Who Is Your Best Novelist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by Orikinla(m): 3:39pm On Aug 26, 2007
If you have not read any of the fantastic novels of Amos Tutuola, you have not read the best of World Literature.

If you enjoy reading J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter, then you will enjoy reading the magical fables of this extra ordinary self-taught Nigerian writer and he was an associate of the University of Iowa International Writing Program (IWP).

1· The Palm-Wine Drinkard (1946, published 1952)
2· My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (1954)
3· Simbi and the Satyr of the Dark Jungle (1955)
4· The Brave African Huntress (1958)
5· The Feather Woman of the Jungle (1962)
6· Ajaiyi and his Inherited Poverty (1967)
7· The Witch-Herbalist of the Remote Town (1981)
8· The Wile Hunter in the Bush of Ghosts (1982)
9· Yoruba Folktales (1986)
10· Pauper, Brawler and Slanderer (1987)
11· The Village Witch Doctor and Other Stories (1990)

2 Likes

Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by AkedeOba(m): 5:43pm On Feb 25, 2008
Please bring this discussion to the new Yorubaland web site at www.yorubaland.org
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by Agibecky: 7:17pm On Jul 10, 2010
Akede-Oba:

Please bring this discussion to the new Yorubaland web site at www.yorubaland.org

Alright.
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by maedan(f): 12:08am On Jul 12, 2010
My goodness! I love Amos Tutuola!! I was hooked on the Palmwine Drinkard, read it loads of times! He is a great story-teller, I'm not so bothered about the semantics grin.
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by tpiah: 5:06am On Jul 12, 2010
**where do they breed these posters people**

illiteracy has a new face and it aint pretty.

why are these visa officials just dashing out visas anyhow nah!!!!
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by nguage(m): 5:26am On Jul 12, 2010
What makes his books great is the fact that he took his time, as a worker, to write these stories with the little education he had. I appreciate the fact that he took his time to promote Yoruba culture.

When he was published in the late 40s, Nigerian students in the UK did not like his work. The fact that he was the first Nigerian author to get international recognition subsequently established him as the face of Nigerian literature back then. This did not sit well with these Nigerian students especially because of the broken English his books were written in.

For me, the lesson in all this is appreciation of context, willpower, and effort in the works of others.
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by kay9(m): 9:25am On Jul 13, 2010
n-guage:

When he was published in the late 40s, Nigerian students in the UK did not like his work. The fact that he was the first Nigerian author to get international recognition subsequently established him as the face of Nigerian literature back then. This did not sit well with these Nigerian students especially because of the broken English his books were written in.

I read the The Witch-Herbalist of the Remote Town some donkey years ago, and the Palm-Wine Drinkard a little after that. As little as i was then i still couldn't help thinking, da.mn i can string better tenses than this! grin
But what got me hooked on the half-cooked stories was the imagery described - so fantastic you couldn't help wondering where he got his ideas from. And my God, were they funny - some really, really bizarre monsters! grin grin All in all, it wasn't a bad read - the tenses not withstanding, you gotta admit the stories had originality - a very rare quality in today's literature.

If you love REAL folklore (and you don't mind bad english!), go for Pa Amos's works.
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by lagbaja20: 4:41pm On Dec 29, 2010
One of the best writers out there!
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by maedan(f): 5:17pm On Dec 29, 2010
lagbaja20:

One of the best writers out there!

Seconded, thirded and fourthed!!!LOL
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by kay9(m): 9:55am On Dec 30, 2010
maedan:

Seconded, thirded and fourthed!!!LOL

grin grin some sense of humor u've got, gurl. . .
Re: Amos Tutuola, The Extra Ordinary Novelist Of Yoruba Phantasmagoria by dumodust(m): 8:08am On Jan 09, 2011
'palmwine drinkard' wierd book then but was a good read, real art, my first contact with metaphors of that magnitude

(1) (Reply)

The Role Of Communication In An Organization / Numbers. / The Mafia Manager: A Guide To The Corporate Machiavelli By V.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.