Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,609 members, 7,847,553 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:34 PM

2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi (507 Views)

2023: Two Lagos Guber Candidates Step Down For Jandor / 2023: North East Elders Endorse Peter Obi Of Labour Party / 2023: Two Ministers Seek Buhari’s Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi by AntiTerrorist: 9:24am On Dec 29, 2022
Two Important Questions Obi Must Answer If He Wants My Vote And That Of My People

As a man of influence and affluence in my own little way, if I will mobilise for Obi concerning 2023 presidential bid, I will need candid assurance from him concerning two important issues I considered important to our collective future.

Dear Mr Peter Obi,

1. Will your administration to pay ASUU members their withheld eight months salaries?

It is not the fault of our universities Lecturers that they went on strike on February 14, this year but the fault of people in government who are lackadaisical in their dealings. Every educated Nigerians knows that our universities need revitalization, so as to be able to compete with their counterparts in developed nations of the first world countries. It is not bad is a Nigeria university is among 100 top universities in the world.

I believe settling our teachers by paying their well-deserved entitlement will have significant effect on their productivity and enhance the quality of their products. Abi what is the essence of a university graduate in Agricultural engineering who can neither repair a tractor nor be able to fabricate simple farm machines?

Unlike in other sectors of the civil service, Nigerian University lecturers are the only set of people with sound minds and their contributions to the betterment of this country through their knowledge impartation can never be overemphasized. What we see elsewhere especially in military, paramilitary and agencies of Government is nothing but mediocrity and corruption. However, our university system stands out.

Some people can argue that there's nothing is wrong with our universities and Nigeria's graduates are in high demand Abroad. This can be partially true but not absolutely. Most graduates who traveled out for greener pastures are those who self-developed themselves and those who first go for retraining before starting a white collar job oversea. A lot needs to be done, starting with good remuneration.

2. Will your administration allow diaspora or absentee voting?

If our country will get better, we can no longer depend on the decision of people at home who are mostly poor and ignorant and lack the mental capacity to make wise decision. How can the illiterate and destitute Almajiris in the North who do not know meaning of good governance vote wisely? How will the uneducated rural dwellers and street touts vote wisely when they don't have the mental capacity to know the dividend of democracy? Most of these people are uneducated, ignorant and they will continue to vote for structures that have made them poor. So, depending on their votes will continue to make Nigeria retrogressive as these set of people will continue to vote for their stomach (#2000/vote).

About ten percent of Nigeria are living abroad. I believe, if these people are allowed to contribute their quota by allowing them to vote in our subsequent elections, with their education and exposure, they would be able to join people of sound minds at home to vote the best of candidates. It is clear to me that the votes of the people at home can never make this country good, so putting the choice of our diasporans into consideration is important at this critical moment.

The problem of Nigeria is not bad leaders but citizens who voted for them. If we say these corrupt politicians rigged their way into government house, the fact still remains that it is impossible for them to rig where they are not popular. For instance, it is impossible for APC to rig an election in Rivers state and it is impossible for PDP to rig in Bornu state. Those who voted Buhari in 2014 and 2019 are likely going to vote Tinubu or Atiku in 2023 despite the disaster and desolation they have experienced in recent years. Therefore, Nigerians are not victims of bad governance but accomplices. To change this ugly scenerio, we will need the votes of sane minds from diasporal at least to cancel votes of people living with stockholm syndrome at home.

Note: I am neither a Lecturer nor a Diasporan but a patriotic Nigerian who wants his country to become sane, progressive and developed. And to make this happen, I strongly believe quality higher education and diasporal electoral participation will contribute to enable us have the Nigeria of our dream. A new Nigeria is POssible.

Re: 2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi by iSense247: 9:57am On Dec 29, 2022
And to make this happen, I strongly believe quality higher education and diasporal electoral participation will contribute to enable us have the Nigeria of our dream. A new Nigeria is POssible.
Important! If you tell Nigerians to vote wisely, do they know what it means to vote wisely? To some, vote selling is vote wisely while to others, it is voting according to irrational sentiment.

May affliction like Buhari never rise in Nigeria the second time.
Re: 2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi by sweetonugbu: 10:12am On Dec 29, 2022
Good points you raised here.
Re: 2023: Two More Promises Before I Can Finally Endorse Peter Obi by Tingotoe: 10:17am On Dec 29, 2022
Nigerians who live in the diaspora should not be allowed to vote

(1) (Reply)

The / See Why Many People Don't Like Tinubu. / Igbo In Yoruba Dialet Is Weed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.