Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? (7311 Views)

Akwa Ibom And Europe Standard Of Road Na 5&6 .. Photos / How Petrol Tankers Move In Canada And Abidjan / Wreckage Of A Plane That Crashed In Canada And Everyone Survived (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Gerrard59(m): 4:15pm On Jan 15, 2023
emmaodet:

But if prices are low, people will start using air no matter how poor they are.

The usage has to be there before the price falls. Also, the price depends on the alternative. Are the roads safer than they were ten years ago? Do people have the discretionary income to keep flying as previously? What about the costs involved in maintaining an aircraft (which is domiciled in dollars)? Even with the inflation globally, people still fly. Chinese, Japanese, Americans etc., what does this mean? There is an existing demand even when alternatives are available, affordable and safer.

Airlines would prefer more people fly, but if there is no demand, then it makes no economic sense to ply unprofitable routes.

I still remember years ago when aero do fly from Ph to Lag or Lag to Abuja for as low as 5k, 7k. People started using them.
Some that were using road before started using air.
Even if the price rises to 15/20k, people will gladly use it.
Not the type that lag to Ph is now 50/70k one way.

There was a strong middle class, jobs were plentiful and the country was safer than today. The roads were also pretty safe. What the low patronage notwithstanding the high rate of insecurity says is that Nigerians have become poorer over the years, if not they should be flying every now and then. It simply means the Nigerians who could afford 5K flights then cannot afford 50K flights now.

The tariffs african govt places on this tickets are way too high and there is nothing to even show for such high tarrif.
No good toilets in airport, airport not first class looking etc. so what are they using all these money for? Embezzling
A Nigerian I met at the Lag airport last week that we entered taag airline together was just complaining how he booked South Africa for almost 500k one way and vowed never to come home for the next 2 years because he has lost a lot coming home this year.
That trip shouldn’t be more than 50k one way on a good day.

That is because our government don't understand economics as they ought to. Another school of thought is that they fix those charges since there are few intra-continental flights compared to flights from outside the continent. The koko is ensuring Africans become rich enough to afford flying, then there would be a growth of LCC (low-cost carriers), 'cos as it is, the business model for such won't make any sense. When a large percentage of Africans begin to fly consistently, there will be demands to reduce the charges. If the charges are reduced now, can average Africans fly between countries on the continent? No.

1 Like

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by emmaodet: 4:22pm On Jan 15, 2023
Gerrard59:

The usage has to be there before the price falls. Also, the price depends on the alternative. Are the roads safer than they were ten years ago? Do people have the discretionary income to keep flying as previously? What about the costs involved in maintaining an aircraft (which is domiciled in dollars)? Even with the inflation globally, people still fly. Chinese, Japanese, Americans etc., what does this mean? There is an existing demand even when alternatives are available, affordable and safer.

Airlines would prefer more people fly, but if there is no demand, then it makes no economic sense to ply unprofitable routes.

There was a strong middle class, jobs were plentiful and the country was safer than today. The roads were also pretty safe. What the low patronage notwithstanding the high rate of insecurity says is that Nigerians have become poorer over the years, if not they should be flying every now and then. It simply means the Nigerians who could afford 5K flights then cannot afford 50K flights now.

That is because our government don't understand economics as they ought to. Another school of thought is that they fix those charges since there are few intra-continental flights compared to flights from outside the continent. The koko is ensuring Africans become rich enough to afford flying, then there would be a growth of LCC (low-cost carriers), 'cos as it is, the business model for such won't make any sense. When a large percentage of Africans begin to fly consistently, there will be demands to reduce the charges. If the charges are reduced now, can average Africans fly between countries on the continent? No.
I won’t say there is no demand because flys 3 times a week from Lag to Luanda to and fro (mon, wed and fri ) and Atleast, it is always 75% full.
Angola is a transit country for most Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries like Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Mexico etc. so many people use it a lot.
Have used them twice and it was 75% filled or more. So why is the price not crashing? 250k one way for a 2 and half hour flight within Africa is not good.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Zeel007: 7:16pm On Jan 15, 2023
bligs:

Father, based on what?
Interms of making money on the average, US doesn't even near Australia.

Bro can you enlighten me more on this.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by seunny4lif(m): 9:48pm On Jan 15, 2023
Regex:

Ryanair give me return ticket, plus insurance for £122. Flight of 3hrs, baba I checked flights within Nigeria and £122 can not cover return.
Insurance for what?
If they lost your bags, they will pay

Waiting for when Africa airlines will offer better travel package for Africa continent.
Imagine going from Lagos to Cairo for just 20K naira.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Regex: 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2023
seunny4lif:

Insurance for what?
If they lost your bags, they will pay

Waiting for when Africa airlines will offer better travel package for Africa continent.
Imagine going from Lagos to Cairo for just 20K naira.

I swear. It is also for health too.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by seunny4lif(m): 11:02pm On Jan 15, 2023
Regex:

I swear. It is also for health too.
Your health is cover in EU no matter what, EU is not USA ooooh
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by danthamccoy(m): 11:35pm On Jan 15, 2023
pansophist:

It's expensive na. I fly to Morocco from Belgium for 30 euros return ticket. Or to UK return ticket for 15 euros.

And why buy insurance? You just go waste your money, nothing go happen. Na for America you need buy insurance.

I understand if person de naija, Canada seems like a good bet. They give permanent residency straight from naija, they speak English, and it's better than Nigeria.

But for Europeans, Canada na bad deal for us. At best, na to go for holiday and enjoy Victoria Falls. But to leave Europe go live there? Hell no.

What if the options were Canada v UK?
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Arizona042: 1:03am On Jan 16, 2023
pansophist:

That price is not the exception, it's the norm. Flying in Europe is cheaper than trains. For example, i always buy one way flight to London from Brussels for about 10 euros.

Like I said earlier, Europe is insanely well-built. Only China And Japan I can compare with Europe in terms of integrated planning.

Now you see why North America, especially Canada is a bad deal? grin

It’s because they a newly built countries. North America was not existing 300 years ago but Europe and Asia had their civilizations dated thousands of years.
Secondly, they are immigrants countries and their huge size too. Texas is like 3 times the size of UK.
But for money making, America trumps them all. People are making up to $500k/year here and they are not even the highest.

As for Canada, it’s an overhyped country. It’s economy is not up to that of Texas, let alone California. I see it as the unofficial America’s 51st State. Na America dey give them life as most of their biggest cities are located close to the US border

4 Likes

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by mayorall(m): 2:46am On Jan 16, 2023
pansophist:

Too big that everything is so far (only the province of Ontario is bigger than Nigeria but has less population than Lagos). None-existent bike paths/culture and cities are built for cars and not for pedestrians.

Huge shopping malls everywhere, that one can only visit by car. Shopping was more of a chore you planned due to lack of small family owned supermarkets and shops inside your streets. Anyone that have been to Brussels, London or Amsterdam will understand this. There are streets that cars are banned so people/cyclist can thrive.

Too segregated, and people hardly mix, too cold. Culture too americanized (no such thing as an organic Canadian culture), is too far from Africa and Europe, and too expensive to live in, to list a few.

I am not an economic immigrant, I just wanted a change in environment and was exploring Canada by visiting it, but when I was there, it was like bleh, I can't live here. Even Vancouver that is considered the warmest rains a lot. Made me appreciate Europe even better.

For example, I can be in any corner of the over 40 European countries via flight, which is really cheap. But it's not the same in North America. Europe is well built and connected, and trains leaves to other European capitals from your city.

In Europe, it's common for people to live in Belgium and work in Netherlands, or live in Finland and work in Sweden. You won't even notice that you've crossed into another country except that your phone starts sending message that you're roaming and perhaps, different language in road signs.

Also European weather is diversed. If you like winter, Scandinavia is there, or hot weather, then Portugal/Cyprus/malta/Italy/Spain are there. If you like wind and rain, Ireland and Netherlands will give you that. There is something for you.

In Europe, cultures are organic. if you drive just two hours from Poznan (Poland) to Berlin (Germany), the language, currency, culture, architecture, and everything look different. True diversity is organic, rich, and distinct.

Canada is too soulless, artificial, and the centuries old mega structures are nonexistent. Why do you think American filmmakers go to Europe to shoot movies that requires old European architecture? Canada is a newly built country.

And also, as a business person, population density is really important to me. Canada is bigger than the whole 27 EU countries twice, but the EU has about 460 Million people, compare with Canada which is about 35 million.

So if you need a huge population base to sell stuff to, Europe is better, and I am not even adding the population of Ad-hoc European countries that surrounds the EU (e.g Turkey, Serbia, Russia, etc).

And for families, the EU is better. Free education, free healthcare, generous social services, and long maternity/paternity leave. The student debt common in North America is not a thing in Europe. I once had an American classmate that owes 70k USD in student loans, and I felt sorry for her. A young adult starting life as a debtor is such a shame.

And oh, people are fatter there. It's because the food laws are not as strong as in Europe, and the walking and biking infrastructure is just not a thing. As a tourist, I felt immobilized that I can't just use public transport, unless I have a car, or use uber. So people do not walk/bike a lot, which is exercise.

And especially Canada is a hotbed for wokism, its like all the homos, radical feminists, masculine women, and feminine men moved there lol, as in, I just feel like punching people for no reason lol, just kidding grin

So there you go, that's my assessment of Canada when I was there. But hey, it's my opinion, and should not be taken as gospel. What is good for Ada might be bad for Adamu, so be guided.

I am sorry bro, your description of Vancouver is incorrect.

I have my personal submission in below link. On issue of transport, bike routes, the people etc . Vancouver public transportation is excellent. I personally have bikes I can put on public bus, train and ship. Everything is here. All roads in Vancouver has human walkways. The first road priority in Vancouver is human, then bike, then Cars to trailers.

https://www.nairaland.com/7302103/daycation-vancouver-canada-grouse-mountain

1 Like

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Lonepair1: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2023
pansophist:

That price is not the exception, it's the norm. Flying in Europe is cheaper than trains. For example, i always buy one way flight to London from Brussels for about 10 euros.

Like I said earlier, Europe is insanely well-built. Only China And Japan I can compare with Europe in terms of integrated planning.

Now you see why North America, especially Canada is a bad deal? grin
hello boss.. Can I send you a pm??
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 11:53am On Jan 19, 2023
Lonepair1:
hello boss.. Can I send you a pm??

Yes
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 11:58am On Jan 19, 2023
danthamccoy:

What if the options were Canada v UK?

Then go to canada.

UK is gradually becoming the shithole of Europe.

If you like big houses with huge garages and of course cheaper, and not feeling like a sardine crammed into a tight box, then Canada is better. Mind you, Canada is a continental-sized country, it's so huge and vast that you just can't comprehend it.

Imagine flying from Europe (eg Iceland) to British Columbia, and within two hours, you are in Canada, but spend additional six hours flying within Canada just to get to Vancouver. That's how huge Canada is.

So it beats UK hand down in space, making housing cheaper, and bigger, of course not in big cities.

8 Likes

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by hammed71(m): 5:20pm On Jan 19, 2023
Brexit is dealing with UK now

1 Like

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by hammed71(m): 5:24pm On Jan 19, 2023
@pansophist is Canada dat bad?
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Mizfabulous18(f): 11:20pm On Jan 19, 2023
Europe is good but depending on the country u go to ur life wil be dependent on language So if ur good in learning language then Europe is good also career growth in Canada nd USA is faster than Europe but u cn become a citizen in Europe faster than USA
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by millstone(m): 7:21am On Jan 20, 2023
Mizfabulous18:
Europe is good but depending on the country u go to ur life wil be dependent on language So if ur good in learning language then Europe is good also career growth in Canada nd USA is faster than Europe but u cn become a citizen in Europe faster than USA
I have researched certain countries like Netherland and found out the language wouldn't be a problem much although I will learn Dutch if I'm willing to stay back. Also from some of the response in this thread and my research lately I think I'll go with a European country, between Netherlands and Germany because of access to other countries, logistics and orderliness.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by millstone(m): 7:22am On Jan 20, 2023
hammed71:
Brexit is dealing with UK now
One of the reason I am seriously considering it and the recent surge of Nigerians there. Want to go to a sane place abeg
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Lonepair1: 9:06am On Jan 20, 2023
pansophist:

Yes
done boss
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Mizfabulous18(f): 3:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
millstone:

I have researched certain countries like Netherland and found out the language wouldn't be a problem much although I will learn Dutch if I'm willing to stay back. Also from some of the response in this thread and my research lately I think I'll go with a European country, between Netherlands and Germany because of access to other countries, logistics and orderliness.
well your decision is good but it all depends I live in Germany nd I will tell u for a fact that u need to speak basic German atleast A1 nd one thing with countries is once u enter one it a bit confusing going to another because u will want to get their passport na so if u leave the country to another country nd still come bk ur years of residence will start counting from top again so deciding on which one at first is better than saying if I don’t like it I will just migrate it nt so flexible d way ur saying it all the best though
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by millstone(m): 5:42pm On Jan 20, 2023
Mizfabulous18:
well your decision is good but it all depends I live in Germany nd I will tell u for a fact that u need to speak basic German atleast A1 nd one thing with countries is once u enter one it a bit confusing going to another because u will want to get their passport na so if u leave the country to another country nd still come bk ur years of residence will start counting from top again so deciding on which one at first is better than saying if I don’t like it I will just migrate it nt so flexible d way ur saying it all the best though
I intend to study and work and I'm not saying I'll just be moving up and down no. But right now I prefer a EU country that if things goes well I can move to nearby eu countries to hustle God willing
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by XAUBulls: 6:18pm On Jan 27, 2023
seunny4lif:
Well depending on what you want.
Big salary, expensive healthcare, expensive tuition fees AKA Student Loans and walking around with bulletproof or can be shot at by Police or someone that break up with is GF at anytime then you can move to USA grin grin

Big salary but useless when converted to USD, Euros and no worries healthcare, small tuition fees depending on your income, big support for families and easy process for PR then go to Canada.

Not so big salary, student loans for your kids but not expensive, No worries about healthcare apart from NHS queue grin support for family, only worry about knife attacks then move to NI, Wales and England as Scotland colleges are free.

If learning language is not your problem then German, Sweden except someone can walk into mall and start attacking people with knives or guns, Norway, Finland are good for family person as healthcare, schools are not your problem.

If you want to be close to UK but don’t want to leave in UK, and don’t want to learn another language, healthcare with long queue, Tuition fees are partial free for your children depending on your status, housing problems, massive support for working families then look no further than ROI.
Indeed.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Kalatium(m): 12:52am On Aug 31, 2023
millstone:
Hello nlanders,
Please I need the honest opinion especially from those in any of these countries. Which of them is better to relocate to considering academics fee, entry, culture and settling in after the programme (or are there any other options). A little bit about me I have worked in Nigeria private and government sector for the past 7 years combined, have had several startups here but none could really survive the economy and also I am in no current relationship so I do not want to go to a hostile place and end up wishing I stuck to my government job. I need the honest opinions as I have tried others in the past but stopped due to better opportunities that arised here but right now eh even if it is not for me at least my unborn kids deserve a better life.

To me canada seems better
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by optimusprime2(m): 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2023
At the end of the day, it's quite subjective... Even after living for Donkey years in Europe (Which also includes the UK, and adhoc European countries like Turkey), I still prefer the United States Hands down. As for Canada I remain indifferent due to a lot of reasons-some of which @Pansophist already stated... Especially the Wokeness part grin. In my opinion, Canada is basically a budget version of the US without gun use.

As for why I prefer the US to Europe, if you are a business minded person (The US economy is literally unmatched) if you know your onions you are ok, however in Europe it's not just about knowing your onions, there are a lot of factors;

-1), the US is literally like dealing with the whole world within one space and using one language... yes English! Lets see you try that in Europe- The linguistic quagmire that exists in Europe when trying to do business is simply insane. There are areas in Europe I would have loved to collaborate with, but the mere fact that they all function in a different language is just off-putting.

If anyone has lived in Switzerland before, that person would understand what I mean (Unless you love existing within a communication complex, spontaneously toggling between French, & German for example is absolute madness). In addition, many countries in Europe have multiple official languages within eg; Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain (Visit Barcelona and guess again if you think only Spanish is spoken in Spain), and Belarus. To even think that Swiss German, Austrian German and Standard German are different is still mind boggling...So for that one, I no fit.

-2) Currency context in different EU locations; Imagine the challenge when also negotiating prices with some European countries that have their own currency outside the Euro, especially those Scandinavian countries (I always refer to as the weird part of Europe). Look, every EU country have their currency culture, basically the value of 5 Euros in Germany is very different from the value in Italy or Portugal. Also, 5 Euros in Luxembourg is not 5 Euros in Sweden(about 60 Swedish Krone), so pitching a 5 Euro idea in any of these EU countries, require very different approaches to the location... Now I hate that specifically, because that is another case study on it's own, so for ease of contextual approach to currency, I prefer collaborating with EU countries within a certain radius, that have similar currency cultures-which is rather narrow minded, but less complicated. This unique situation, does not occur in the US.

-3) I think some parts (Germany, Belgium, Netherlands) of Europe are just too controlled, income, taxes and social arrangement ... Cash inflow no matter how small, can't avoid the social radar system- Although this has it's advantages, but as a business oriented dude, it doesn't make any sense, it's very hard to make any profit from a system that is already Pre-calculated. Basically your profits have already been simulated, so if you go over or you fall below, you have to explain. In the US there is absolute liberty to go crazy with your business within and abroad no restrictions- it's literally your own business.

-4) If you have a Job in Europe(Mostly applies in Germany, Belgium, Austria and the Netherlands), the chances are that you fall within a general pay bracket (I pass my neighbor does not apply)... Basically, even if you have a PhD in Nuclear physics or you are a crack IT specialist, there is almost no difference between your salary and that of a restaurant chef who can definitely work more hours than you... How? yes that's what a socialist system can do (Infact in some cases you are even obliged to pay more tax than the restaurant chef) The US is very different on that regard there is a vast pay bracket difference between skilled labour and unskilled labour.

-5) Acquiring property in some parts of Europe is very tricky and complicated compared to the US where money mostly does the talking.

Now when it comes to schooling, although most of Europe (UK and Ireland aside) have reduced tuition when compared to the more expensive US and Canadian tuition fees, the question remains; after school what next? can you cope and adapt to such situations as a business minded person or career minded person?

North America offers a larger Economy with increased labour opportunities, as well as a language that is common to Nigerians... "English". while Europe offers a smaller Economy (Than the US), labour opportunities which are more controlled and a linguistic challenge to non native speakers... Where would you want to stake your chances?

Your answer whoever you are, will be Subjective... and thats my point.

6 Likes

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Savvypho: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
Arizona042:

It’s because they a newly built countries. North America was not existing 300 years ago but Europe and Asia had their civilizations dated thousands of years.
Secondly, they are immigrants countries and their huge size too. Texas is like 3 times the size of UK.
But for money making, America trumps them all. People are making up to $500k/year here and they are not even the highest.

As for Canada, it’s an overhyped country. It’s economy is not up to that of Texas, let alone California. I see it as the unofficial America’s 51st State. Na America dey give them life as most of their biggest cities are located close to the US border

North America existed 300years ago. Does the history of a place start only when European settlers arrive?

And no, America doesn't give Canada life. Canadians settle to the south cos it's warmer compared to up north.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by DyingFetus: 6:00pm On Aug 31, 2023
pansophist:
Europe is better. I wanted to move to Canada before, after visiting Toronto and Vancouver, I realized it's not for me. My quality of life will reduce big time.

I swear

Canada is boring and lone , not even walkable

You must drive to the nearest grocery store

Most of my peeps way day Toronto day move to US
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 6:26pm On Aug 31, 2023
DyingFetus:

I swear

Canada is boring and lone , not even walkable

You must drive to the nearest grocery store

Most of my peeps way day Toronto day move to US

Yes.

Kids lacks the mobility to go to school themselves in Canada, either the parents drop them in school, or maybe school bus. In Europe, either kids bike to school, or they walk, giving them a sense of Independence.

Canada is a photocopy of the US. Cities are built for cars, not for pedestrians. Human interactions are deeply lacking in North American cities. Point of contact for people to socialize is scarce.

It's difficult for an American tourist to come to Europe and not love how well-planned EU cities are. You can perfectly survive without a car in Western Europe. For example, the prime minister of the Netherlands is known to go to work by bike everyday.

Europe is insanely well-planned, that if I tell you to meet me at the train station at 3pm tomorrow in let's say Germany while I'm in the Netherlands, my train will be there at that time, or few mins earlier.

Than to live in Canada, I'll live in Ghana. I can understand if one move to Canada from Nigeria, then it's a better option. But for a European, moving to Canada is to reduce your quality of life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Kenn55: 10:19pm On Aug 31, 2023
pansophist:

Yes.

Kids lacks the mobility to go to school themselves in Canada, either the parents drop them in school, or maybe school bus. In Europe, either kids bike to school, or they walk, giving them a sense of Independence.

Canada is a photocopy of the US. Cities are built for cars, not for pedestrians. Human interactions are deeply lacking in North American cities. Point of contact for people to socialize is scarce.

It's difficult for an American tourist to come to Europe and not love how well-planned EU cities are. You can perfectly survive without a car in Western Europe. For example, the prime minister of the Netherlands is known to go to work by bike everyday.

Europe is insanely well-planned, that if I tell you to meet me at the train station at 3pm tomorrow in let's say Germany while I'm in the Netherlands, my train will be there at that time, or few mins earlier.

Than to live in Canada, I'll live in Ghana. I can understand if one move to Canada from Nigeria, then it's a better option. But for a European, moving to Canada is to reduce your quality of life.

Canada is 9.9m sq km while Continental Europe is 10.1m sq km. If you look at just the EU, the size of the EU which is total of 27 European countries is just 4.2m sq km with 448m people which is far smaller than Canada of just 39m people. A province in Canada alone is bigger than some European countries combined

Europe is in a small space and need to manage their space well. Canada is too large with few people.

I prefer to live in Canada because Europe is too crowded. I love my space abeg. One man meat is another man's poison.
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Ajalalomo: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2023
All
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by jamesversion: 11:28pm On Aug 31, 2023
pansophist:
Anyone that likes architecture, city planning, and how human behaviors are influenced based on how their society is built, then consider subscribing to this Canadian guy on youtube with close to a million followers. He does a perfect job of detailing how badly built North America is compared to the developed world, especially Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/@NotJustBikes

I can understand that people from underdeveloped countries would love Canada because it's very developed compared to where they are coming from, but for Europeans, Canada and the US are a bad deal for us. If one can learn any EU language, and have no problem with residency, I see no reason why one should pick Canada. It's like choosing coke instead of wine grin

Now you understand why Trump was angry that the US only attracts third-world immigrants and not Norwegians and Europeans generally. Why should they go to North America? to get their kids shot in school, or deal with the psychos you call citizens or the lack of free healthcare? lol.

Ah, you aren't Nigerian? grin undecided
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 12:06am On Sep 01, 2023
jamesversion:

Ah, you aren't Nigerian? grin undecided

I am a Nigerian my brother. But prophesizing, or dreaming is not a crime na grin

It's the few liberties that we still have, so if we no fit experience am in reality, then in imagination is allowed
Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 12:13am On Sep 01, 2023
Kenn55:

Canada is 9.9m sq km while Continental Europe is 10.1m sq km. If you look at just the EU, the size of the EU which is total of 27 European countries is just 4.2m sq km with 448m people which is far smaller than Canada of just 39m people. A province in Canada alone is bigger than some European countries combined

Europe is in a small space and need to manage their space well. Canada is too large with few people.

I prefer to live in Canada because Europe is too crowded. I love my space abeg. One man meat is another man's poison.

Lol, me too love space.

But saying you like space and that is why you prefer Canada is like saying I like swimming alone, so the Atlantic Ocean is better than a swimming pool.

European countries might be smaller than Canada, but space is not an issue here. You can drive for hours and will see no one. If you live in Swedish Lapland for example, you will feel like the only one existing on this planet.

Canada is just something else. I hate when it takes, for example, two hours to enter Canada airspace from abroad, but takes like four hours more to fly inside Canada to your city. For what? wetin naw? why so wickedly huge?

My guy if you need space, go to Scandinavia, France, Germany, or even Switzerland. Also, Italy, Spain, and Europe are huge man. Canada is just a different kind of huge, that it's unnecessarily stressful.

Ontario province is bigger than Nigeria, but you won't call Nigeria overcrowded right? So why EU that is even bigger than Nigeria almost five times?

4 Likes

Re: Between The United Kingdom, The USA, Canada And Europe Which Is Better? by Savvypho: 2:40am On Sep 01, 2023
Are these your opinion of Toronto or Canada? If Canada, I'm sorry to say, many of your assertions here are totally wrong. You can't visit a tiny fraction of such a diverse country and make such generalized conclusion.

For one, Canada is big, quite right but public transit can get you to malls in so many cities in Canada. Take West Edmonton Mall for example, it is the 2nd largest shopping mall in North America. The mall opened in 1981 and has had its transit centre (like a bus stop for multiple routes), operating since 1984. The transit centre was recently moved to accommodate construction of the new valley line project; that's a new light rail route that will also cover the area. See - https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/west-edmonton-mall-transit-centre. There are malls literally in any city downtown and public transit is usually easiest in downtown areas anywhere in the entire downtown; this doesn't insinuate that only downtown malls are accessible by public transit.

Also, you said cities are built for cars and not for pedestrians. Hahaha. Again, do not make an assertion when you only saw a tiny fraction of Canada. Bike lanes, walk way (side walks), pedestrian traffic lights and signs can be found everywhere in this country except for rural areas. A country where pedestrians have the right of way on most motor ways isn't built for pedestrians? Do you know the millions of dollars most municipalities spend to promote apathy towards automobiles? Please see links for bike lane maps of different cities.
Edmonton - https://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/cycling_walking/bike-maps-and-routes
Calgary - https://maps.calgary.ca/PathwaysandBikeways/
Regina - https://www.regina.ca/transportation-roads-parking/walking-cycling/

Let's stop there for bike lanes.

For parking bans, there are areas across cities in Canada where you are not allowed to park. That is done to deter motorist from driving to such places. Some other places may allow parking but with pricey fees. Most people would generally not want to drive to such places. - They take public transit instead. Sh*t, you have people in this country who have cars but will drive to a transit centre, park and ride the bus/train to and from work.

About being segregated, I would say people like to stick to their kind but they do in fact mix. Cold? Hell yeah. Not everywhere though. No such thing as organic Canadian culture? Wow. Please, do your research on that please. No disrespect but I think that was a very ignorant take. The indigenous people of Canada are of different tribes with many different languages. That was way before the European settlers arrived; adding more cultural mix. Bros/sis, CANADA HAS ITS ORGANIC CULTURE - EVEN BEFORE EUROPE TOUCHED THE LAND.

About being expensive to live in, I agree with you. I was astonished to see they have 10pounds phone plans with unlimited internet when I visited England. Canada has some of the most expensive phone/home internet plans in the world. I guess that's the price to pay when you have to build more infrastructure to cover the massive landmass. Groceries too are more expensive compared to Europe. More grounds to cover when making those deliveries as well.

Flights inside of Canada are very expensive like you said. Its even cheaper to fly to the US, Mexico or the Carribean than to fly some distances within Canada. Again, the land big so its expected. Europe is kinda too small to be making these comparisons. Its like trying to organize your living room compared to organizing a packed stadium. Different ball game. We actually do have a train that cuts from East to West of the country though. You can travel by train from say Vancouver to Toronto with VIA Rail Canada. Cons: It is not electric supersonic trains. I think the trip takes some 2/3 days. They make several stops for extended periods I think.

As for old mega structures, a simple google search will pull up some historic building/structures for all to see. Some might not be as old as you want or as some European structures. I am not a movie fan but It might also interest you that Canada is like Asaba to Hollywood. They do in fact shoot many of their movies here.

As for weather, not disputing the diversity of European weather, you cited, but you can go from snowstorm, to hailstorm, to heat waves and wildfires in one locality in matter of days here. Canadian weather if put on a diversity scale will be on F, very far from E.

In terms of population to sell stuff to. Any good product or service especially in today's world can not be localized except you want it to be. If Blackberry can originate from a nation of say 30M persons (at the time) and make sales worldwide, you can do it too. There are businesses failing everyday in Europe even with the population there.

Everything you mentioned about family, Canada offer those; free education, free health care, child care benefits, dental benefits was just introduced and so much more. You can get maternity for 1year. My sister in England told me she's only allowed 6 months. Study loans to me are a good thing but if one isn't financially prudent, they get sucked in. I've seen people take student loans and live off the loans the entire duration of their studies without working. Canada is not to blame for that.

I don't know about people being fatter here but again "walking and biking infrastructure is not just a thing" is a big FAT lie. I saw cars parking halfway on side walks in the UK, I thought they were supposed to be for walking?! That do not happen here. There are walk ways and bike lanes everywhere. Makes me wonder if you just sat home through your stay. Like how can you miss that?

Anyway, like you said, those were just your opinion, I respect them but most of them were wrong.

pansophist:

Too big that everything is so far (only the province of Ontario is bigger than Nigeria but has less population than Lagos). None-existent bike paths/culture and cities are built for cars and not for pedestrians.

Huge shopping malls everywhere, that one can only visit by car. Shopping was more of a chore you planned due to lack of small family owned supermarkets and shops inside your streets. Anyone that have been to Brussels, London or Amsterdam will understand this. There are streets that cars are banned so people/cyclist can thrive.

Too segregated, and people hardly mix, too cold. Culture too americanized (no such thing as an organic Canadian culture), is too far from Africa and Europe, and too expensive to live in, to list a few.

I am not an economic immigrant, I just wanted a change in environment and was exploring Canada by visiting it, but when I was there, it was like bleh, I can't live here. Even Vancouver that is considered the warmest rains a lot. Made me appreciate Europe even better.

For example, I can be in any corner of the over 40 European countries via flight, which is really cheap. But it's not the same in North America. Europe is well built and connected, and trains leaves to other European capitals from your city.

In Europe, it's common for people to live in Belgium and work in Netherlands, or live in Finland and work in Sweden. You won't even notice that you've crossed into another country except that your phone starts sending message that you're roaming and perhaps, different language in road signs.

Also European weather is diversed. If you like winter, Scandinavia is there, or hot weather, then Portugal/Cyprus/malta/Italy/Spain are there. If you like wind and rain, Ireland and Netherlands will give you that. There is something for you.

In Europe, cultures are organic. if you drive just two hours from Poznan (Poland) to Berlin (Germany), the language, currency, culture, architecture, and everything look different. True diversity is organic, rich, and distinct.

Canada is too soulless, artificial, and the centuries old mega structures are nonexistent. Why do you think American filmmakers go to Europe to shoot movies that requires old European architecture? Canada is a newly built country.

And also, as a business person, population density is really important to me. Canada is bigger than the whole 27 EU countries twice, but the EU has about 460 Million people, compare with Canada which is about 35 million.

So if you need a huge population base to sell stuff to, Europe is better, and I am not even adding the population of Ad-hoc European countries that surrounds the EU (e.g Turkey, Serbia, Russia, etc).

And for families, the EU is better. Free education, free healthcare, generous social services, and long maternity/paternity leave. The student debt common in North America is not a thing in Europe. I once had an American classmate that owes 70k USD in student loans, and I felt sorry for her. A young adult starting life as a debtor is such a shame.

And oh, people are fatter there. It's because the food laws are not as strong as in Europe, and the walking and biking infrastructure is just not a thing. As a tourist, I felt immobilized that I can't just use public transport, unless I have a car, or use uber. So people do not walk/bike a lot, which is exercise.

And especially Canada is a hotbed for wokism, its like all the homos, radical feminists, masculine women, and feminine men moved there lol, as in, I just feel like punching people for no reason lol, just kidding grin

So there you go, that's my assessment of Canada when I was there. But hey, it's my opinion, and should not be taken as gospel. What is good for Ada might be bad for Adamu, so be guided.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Announces Diversion At Ojuelegba For Repair Of Truck Barrier / Aviation Unions To Disrupt Flight Activities, Declare Indefinite Strike / South African Invitation Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.