Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures (26809 Views)

Bitter South African Politician Removes Transformer After Election Loss / Donald Trump Impeached For The Second Time. / Jacob Zuma Resigns As South African President! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 1:16pm On Jan 02, 2023
What is Tweede Nuwe Jaar?

Tweede Nuwe Jaar, which literally means “Second New Year”, is rooted in the slave history of Cape Town in South Africa. Slaves were only allowed a single day off work a year, and they used the opportunity to celebrate. The tradition is alive and kicking today, and the annual event sees Cape Town bursting into a carnival of colour, music, dancing, and parades.

When is Tweede Nuwe Jaar?

Tweede Nuwe Jaar happens on the 2nd of January each year.

What to expect?

Tweede Nuwe Jaar is one of the biggest events in the city, attracting hundreds of performers and thousands of spectators. The performers, known as the Kaapse Klopse, don colourful suits, face-paint, hats, and parasols. They strut their stuff through the streets, with brass instruments and drums, in the traditional ghoema musical style. The centre of Cape Town becomes a huge street party for the day. It’s loud, colourful, and a great deal of fun for the whole family.

Where to go?

The performers march their way through many streets in the city, especially in the historic District Six area. It’s not hard to find them: just listen out for the lively music and singing! The Bo-Kaap (colourful houses), Grand Parade, and District Six area are the best places to catch the performers in the city.

Once the march comes to an end, the troupes and various Cape Malay Choirs head to the Green Point stadium where the competition for the winning troupe begins in earnest.

4 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2023
They all looks like decorated clowns sorry that's my opinion.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2023

4 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by illicit(m): 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2023
Cool

2 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by VeryWickedSimp: 1:31pm On Jan 02, 2023
Any SA festival without bare breasts na fake.
Bleep outta here!!

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 1:33pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

That's the idea, it's a parody of a coon or blackface. Taking the mickey out of the slavery that existed centuries back.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 1:43pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

That's the idea, it's a parody of a coon or blackface. Taking the mickey out of slavery.

Those xenophobic midgets are really getting some thrillers.
Nice clownish community with some touch of mufasa.

Too much editing,I think you should come see how we roll ours at calabar festival with glits, paparazzi and razzmatazz.

13 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by fman(m): 1:47pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:
your opinion!
Ur issue!!
Happy New year.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 1:50pm On Jan 02, 2023
Swears,the whites really reaped alot from us.
And it hurts.

4 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Oh now I remember you - you're the one with the sad Christmas meal who tried getting me banned. Didn't know trolling was your side hustle as well.

How's the xenophobia at Shoprite? grin I see that plastic bag is the most valuable thing in this picture of yours undecided
So someone cannot speak their mind again?
Anyways I never knew I struck a nerve or made you develop some healthy fear.

Concerning ShopRite,they should be glad they got patronage from us,more like big brother caring for his younger ones.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by FERNANDEZISBACK: 2:05pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:
Swears,the whites really reaped alot from us.
And it hurts.
This is an SA thread.. ahnie.. grin
The south Africans aren't complaining.. why are you worked up.. eh?

Nigerians should learn to take responsibility for their misfortune and stop blaming the innocent whites.. grin
Nothing hurt more than not taking responsibility...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 2:24pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

Concerning ShopRite,they should be glad they got patronage from us,more like big brother caring for his younger ones.

Big Brother who doesn't have a supermarket or retail brand worth mentioning like Game, Pep, Truworths and MrP, but rather does his Christmas shopping in smelly markets near gutters where agberos relieve themselves in public view grin grin grin Lol, and all those stores have left Big Brother coz he's broke, with your one half full plastic bag that you use for selfies.

AcneAhnie, please don't drag your country down with you in your futile attempt to diss SA. I make minced meat out of amateur trolls like u.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by obiekunie01: 2:28pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

Those xenophobic midgets are really getting some thrillers.
Nice clownish community with some touch of mufasa.

Too much editing,I think you should come see how we roll ours at calabar festival with glits, paparazzi and razzmatazz.

2 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by obiekunie01: 2:33pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

nawaoo!

madam this one whn 2023 never go anywhere u don increase vawulence level for sadafricans!

3 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 2:45pm On Jan 02, 2023
FERNANDEZISBACK:

This is an SA thread.. ahnie.. grin
The south Africans aren't complaining.. why are you worked up.. eh?

Nigerians should learn to take responsibility for their misfortune and stop blaming the innocent whites.. grin
Nothing hurt more than not taking responsibility...
Sweetie how are you,hope you had some blast this festive season.
Kisses .

1 Like

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 2:50pm On Jan 02, 2023
kiss
Beautiful

1 Like

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by obiekunie01: 2:56pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Big Brother who doesn't have a supermarket or retail brand worth mentioning like Game, Pep, Truworths and MrP, but rather does his Christmas shopping in smelly markets near gutters where agberos relieve themselves in public view ; D grin grin Lol, and all those stores have left Big Brother coz he's broke, with your one half full plastic bag that you use for selfies.

AcneAhnie, please don't drag your country down with you in your futile attempt to diss SA. I make minced meat out of amateur trolls like u.

nairalanders una see una self??

as we shamelessly dey wash our opante for public small children don get liver take us dey play skit!

imagine sadafrican slave get liver yab us to this level fa! chai! ewu atam'igu n'isi! angry

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by Demonicus: 3:08pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Big Brother who doesn't have a supermarket or retail brand worth mentioning like Game, Pep, Truworths and MrP, but rather does his Christmas shopping in smelly markets near gutters where agberos relieve themselves in public view grin grin grin Lol, and all those stores have left Big Brother coz he's broke, with your one half full plastic bag that you use for selfies.

But at the mention of a Nigerian Niqqa Name every sadafrican B*tch must get wet.grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:09pm On Jan 02, 2023
Demonicus:

But at the mention of a Nigerian Niqqa Name every sadafrican B*tch must get wet.grin
Says who.. dude stop hyping yaself please.. grin grin
Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:10pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

Sweetie how are you,hope you had some blast this festive season.
Kisses .
Aww... grin
Your style of handling trolls of recent is awesome.. grin
Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 3:16pm On Jan 02, 2023
Demonicus:

No, scammer and drug peddler come to mind first. Lately, the word Japagerian has been added to the lexicon. And also guy who can't build road or electricity (even if you give him 60 whole years to do so).
Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 3:33pm On Jan 02, 2023
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Aww... grin

You mean her fleeing style undecided I'm still awaiting her comeback but she need not bother - as I see my post that dealt her the deathblow has worked up her hungry urchin-like followers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2023
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Aww... grin
Thanks sweetie for taking that into cognizant.
Pls do well to stay safe and thanks for all the love,I appreciate.

2 Likes

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by care4you: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2023
Slaves! Always a slave

Looking for attention from their white masters

So sad !

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2023
care4you:
Slaves! Always a slave

Looking for attention from their white masters

So sad !

Meanwhile everyone is laughing at your inability to read. Let me shorten the original post for you...

Slaves were only allowed a single day off work a year, and they used the opportunity to celebrate.

Don't be dumb in public, it embarrasses other trolls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by FERNANDEZISBACK: 4:19pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahnie:

Thanks sweetie for taking that into cognizant.
Pls do well to stay safe and thanks for all the love,I appreciate.
#iamemotional..
cry cry kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 4:21pm On Jan 02, 2023
A I prolly think Nigerians should go fund PEP stores to raise money to start okrika(thrift) business.

Pep is looking so lean like a malnourished lion
With their fake brand.

Now this is me minding my business.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by care4you: 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Meanwhile everyone is laughing at your inability to read. Let me shorten the original post for you...

Slaves were only allowed a single day off work a year, and they used the opportunity to celebrate.

You've been noticed too!

Now run along

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by care4you: 4:26pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Go and wash your white master's plate... I think he's hungry...

You're a lazy slave! Drop your phone and work. Boy!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by ahnie: 4:29pm On Jan 02, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Sweetie I think you should learn how to accept criticism,e bi like your brain na parachute.

By the way the ATM vault your country men uprooted during the xenophobic attack looting the shops of foreigners,and took home,I hope it's still dispensing cash cheesy abii they plant it on the ground as tavern to get free pints of beer grin grin grin

Just asking for a friend.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tweede Nuwe Jaar: South African Tradition Called 'The Second New Year' (Pictures by WannaHowzit(m): 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2023
care4you:

Go and wash your white master's plate... I think he's hungry...

I'm surprised you know what a plate is third world child. Hunger you definitely know a lot about, that's why you japa in your millions from the poverty capital of the world to come experience xenophobia cry cry cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mandela Dies At 94! / Life-threatening’ Floods Force Evacuations In Sydney, Australia (Pics, Video) / U.S. Strikes Iran-linked Facility In Syria In Round Of Retaliation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.