Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,792 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? (5999 Views)

10 Things All Nigerians Wishing To Travel Overseas Must Know / 70 % Of Nigerians Overseas Are Igbos / Nigerians Overseas Please Sign Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by chinani(f): 4:20am On Mar 02, 2006
i'd like to reiterate:

"now, for your question---->i do not care for your question and so i wont answer it explicitly. that's my perogative."

now, i'll leave space for those who do want to answer your question.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by monister(f): 4:52am On Mar 02, 2006
definition of a second-class citizen

A second-class citizen is a person who's a citizen of a state or other entity, yet is treated unequally and unfairly relative to other citizens for a variety of reasons. Such status may be de jure or de facto, and is generally regarded as a violation of human rights. Historical (and current) examples allegedly include

1. African-Americans in the United States, especially before the American civil rights movement
2. Black South Africans under apartheid (althogh the government tried to make them non-citizens by establishing Bantustans, and then making them "citizens" of the Bantustans)
3. Israeli Arabs in modern-day Israel
4. Various native and aboriginal peoples in their homelands, which have been incorporated into larger states at which point such peoples become a minority
5. Native Hong Kong people under British rule
6. mestizo and native American people under Spanish rule in the Americas
7. French citizens of African and/or Arab descent in modern-day France
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by princeonx: 6:39am On Mar 02, 2006
ROSCODADDY, it seems you're out to attack and challege Nigerians in America/overseas but guess what? don't have time for folks like you! You claimed to be more matured than Methuselah, so be it! just make your point if you have one and let others say their mind. To clear things up for you, no one is talking about wages or salaries here, what they have in America or back home infact the last time I read something about who has what and who is where was your post.
And if you're still trying to define or categories Cityzen classes, Do you know that cityzenships can be revoked? why are those governors from Austria and Canada not able to run for president? because they are not U.S born? or they are above 2nd class but not yet 1st class cityzen? hope you have some good answers!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by nightrider: 9:25am On Mar 02, 2006
You guys are just making a huge mountain out of a mole hill? The simple question was define a second class citizen. And instead everyone started feeling insecure. Kokscity: monister has defined it for you i hope you're satisfied. Personally i think the term second class citizen was coined for immigrants who were not allowed priviledges of voting,state scholarships and stuff like that. Especially illegal immigrants. Thats my thought sha, i hope it helps.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by shockreaction(m): 10:41am On Mar 02, 2006
Hahaha. Typical. Nigerians arguing over unimportant subjects. You get called a second-class or third-class or nth-class citizen, so what?! Ignore it. Live with it. Who gives a sh i t?! People are just bloody stupid anyways.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 1:04pm On Mar 02, 2006
@Monister

Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou Thankyou. You are God sent. That is what i was looking for. Thankyou Monister. I wish i could buy you a cold one. Exactly what the doctor prescribed. Monister i am grateful for the definition. Thankyou. Did i say Thankyou? Well if Kokscity did not say Thankyou to Monister, here we go !

THANKS MONISTER YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

@Chinani

That is what i was asking you to do for me. Very precise and to the point. I did not want you to write that term paper you wrote on page one. Well thanks for nothing too!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by kimba(m): 4:38pm On Mar 02, 2006
@kokscity, and @everyone

im laughing at all of you. Somebody called Kokscity a second class citizen and you think this forum is the best place to find out the answer, u made a mistake. The answers you'll get are extensions of all youve been getting.

the real people who want the answers are slugging it out on the streets of Lagos, the bus-conductor and the passenger. You know what, come to Nija, and call someone on the street, a Second class citizen, im damn sure, he or she will truly explain to you what it means.

You make me angry sef, what did you say when you were called a Second class nigerian,

On a more serious page of my notebook, since nigeria is a third world citizen, then all of us are fourth world, etc, abi, does that simplify the matter. So for someone to call Kokscity a second class citizen, at least you should be happy.

Forget the U.S, talk of other places. I grew up in China, Spain, Germany, the UK , Italy, Nigeria and the USA. What am I? I have 6-passports, my own is not only dual citizenship, its multi, to the 6th. If I were to choose among the 6-passports, I would choose my Chinese Passport. Its not my fault sha o, na God cause am,
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by tipsy289(m): 11:11pm On Mar 02, 2006
Koks, whatsoever class u @ means some services like being a 1st class citizen my have some services from govt dat are highly favoured then 3rd class or whatsoever class citizen,my aunt used to face that b4 but i dnt think it matters much cos enuf ppl are in yankee, u all equal as long as u not illegally there.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Hotstepper(f): 1:11am On Mar 03, 2006
@Kimba, u've been places ohhh, i slaute ohhhhhhhhh, hmm which of ma passport(s) would I choose ova da other? damn, i just realized I gat only Blue tongue
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by chinani(f): 3:00am On Mar 03, 2006
@ ROSCODADDY

i'm glad you appreciated my replies. grin
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by kimba(m): 9:13am On Mar 03, 2006
@hotstepper, well then

On a more serious note, its the government-make up of a country that actually determines the CLASS of its citizens especially those outside their native land, you know, when weve got a govt that doesnt care about its ppl, then whichever class other nationals put us, thats where we'll belong, abi,

See all the runs that the American and British embassy has pulled on behalf of its citizens that were taken hostage by our delta boys, at least they did something, even if they havent been released.

Woe be to that nigerian who is taken hostage in a foreign land, that one na his own cup of tea,
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by bigbumper(f): 12:03am On Mar 04, 2006
WE ARE ALL STILL IMMIGRANTS

Monister has hit the nail on the head, plus citizenship can be revoked anytime, so people should not get carried away.

One thing to remember though is that even if you dey knack blue or red or yellow passport and you become naturalised or whatever, that passport you are holding still states your place of birth as Nigeria. So no matter who you show your passport to, once they see this piece of information, they automatically know that you were once an alien. 

Even those that are born in US, UK, etc still get referred to as children of second, third generation immigrant,   

In Italy, aliens are referred to as secondos, even if you naturalise and become a citizen.

And was it not in Australia or New Zealand, three years ago, that the government was complaining about the high level of immigration and wanted to send people back, they even tried to get rid of the aborigines.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 04, 2006
who the hell cares if u are a 10th class citizen! if nigerians would change their ways and think about building a better country for their children and future generation, no one would want to go to some other country to be a 10th class citizen so to speak. Nigeria is a pathetic place, where you cannot find any form of decency and rule of law. corruption is a norm and way of life. My heart bleeds for that country, for my country!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 9:50pm On Mar 13, 2006
Well said!!!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by vickybabe(f): 12:58am On Mar 15, 2006
has anybody taken American Arizona history before? if so we will all no that nobody owns America. why do you think it is called UNITED STATES.(it means uniting every1 2gether, all of us came either in search of fortune one way or the other.( we know about the african americans, the english, and all our forefathers that came here decades ago. even if you was born here, you heritage is from somewhere else. so i want us to think about it, what is second class citizen suppose to be?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by IBEXY(m): 6:35am On Nov 04, 2006
Third class or second class??

Bollocks !!!

I know the kind of people who will dream up this tag:

those jealous brothers who got their visa applications rejected by the American or British embassy grin
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by PrincessMo(f): 4:54pm On May 01, 2008
IBEXY:

Third class or second class??

Bollocks !!!

I know the kind of people who will dream up this tag:

those jealous brothers who got their visa applications rejected by the American or British embassy grin

ROFLMAO!!!!! I agree with u. . . cheesy
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by lucabrasi(m): 6:17pm On May 01, 2008
there is 1st,2nd and 3rd generation immigrant,and there is also 1st and 2nd class citizen so theres no need fooling ourselves, and it wasnt dreamed up by rejected visa applicant ,it was dreamed up by the whites themselves, go through any form you r filling out and ask yourself why they dont classify you as simply british but black,asian,african british and then white e.t.c and before you say its for record purposes and census and all that i think its a crock of bull,
big_bumper:

WE ARE ALL STILL IMMIGRANTS

Monister has hit the nail on the head, plus citizenship can be revoked anytime, so people should not get carried away.

One thing to remember though is that even if you dey knack blue or red or yellow passport and you become naturalised or whatever, that passport you are holding still states your place of birth as Nigeria. So no matter who you show your passport to, once they see this piece of information, they automatically know that you were once an alien.

Even those that are born in US, UK, etc still get referred to as children of second, third generation immigrant,

In Italy, aliens are referred to as secondos, even if you naturalise and become a citizen.

And was it not in Australia or New Zealand, three years ago, that the government was complaining about the high level of immigration and wanted to send people back, they even tried to get rid of the aborigines.

you v said it all and the more we get that into our subconcious,the better it ll be for us as nigerians/africans/foreigners , if you ever think ur passport means u r the same as the white dude/gurl then u r deceiving yourselves and u need a large dose of reality check
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by PrincessMo(f): 6:39pm On May 01, 2008
. . .yeah ok 2nd Class, 100th class.
Ur point is?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by bigbumper(f): 7:16pm On May 01, 2008
lucabrasi:

there is 1st,2nd and 3rd generation immigrant,and there is also 1st and 2nd class citizen so theres no need fooling ourselves, and it wasnt dreamed up by rejected visa applicant ,it was dreamed up by the whites themselves, go through any form you r filling out and ask yourself why they don't classify you as simply british but black,asian,african british and then white e.t.c and before you say its for record purposes and census and all that i think its a crock of bull, you v said it all and the more we get that into our subconcious,the better it ll be for us as nigerians/africans/foreigners , if you ever think your passport means you're the same as the white dude/girl then you're deceiving yourselves and u need a large dose of reality check

I feel you my brother. If only they stopped at that, can you imagine that Nigerians and Somalians in Uk have their own ethnicity and ethnic code now? If in doubt try NHS.

Ghanaian African ~ Ethnicity Black African
Angolan African ~ Ethnicity Black African
Cameroonian ~ Ethnicity Black African
Nigerian ~ Ethnicity Nigerian shocked shocked shocked

. . . you get my drift? I can only wonder why?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by bigbumper(f): 8:52pm On May 01, 2008
nightrider:

You guys are just making a huge mountain out of a mole hill? The simple question was define a second class citizen. And instead everyone started feeling insecure. Kokscity: monister has defined it for you i hope you're satisfied. Personally i think the term second class citizen was coined for immigrants who were not allowed priviledges of voting,state scholarships and stuff like that. Especially illegal immigrants. Thats my thought sha, i hope it helps.

Was it really? In case you missed it darlink cheesy, it is still there, the key word in the first post was explain, and this was used thrice. The term "explain" can be defined as "to justify, to give account of something with enough clarity and detail to be understood by somebody else".

Moreover, to define something also means "to differentiate and seperate or describe something exactly with clearly defined objectives."

So your point is? I guess the answer is we are both efikos and i too knows
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by bigbumper(f): 8:58pm On May 01, 2008
Siena:

I've never been treated with anything other than respect in the UK and US.

Wait for me at the towncentre o, let me get my hoodie and come and happy slap you and show you some respect.

Oops, what was the topic again?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by lucabrasi(m): 12:04am On May 02, 2008
PrincessMo:

. . .yeah ok 2nd Class, 100th class.
your point is?

my point is that for anybody in that situation,this is an advice for free"be honest with yourselves and dont close your eyes to the clear and present danger"
big_bumper:

I feel you my brother. If only they stopped at that, can you imagine that Nigerians and Somalians in Uk have their own ethnicity and ethnic code now? If in doubt try NHS.

Ghanaian African ~ Ethnicity Black African
Angolan African ~ Ethnicity Black African
Cameroonian ~ Ethnicity Black African
Nigerian ~ Ethnicity Nigerian shocked shocked shocked

. . . you get my drift? I can only wonder why?

once again,u r on point,did you see the bbc docu drama with rageh omar last month on channel 4,and he interviewed even a jamaican,asian e.t.c especially the whites and they said that enoch powell's rivers of blood speech is coming true and everybody in this country is sitting on a keg of gun powder as far as the race issue is concerned,for anyone saying white ppl have alwas been polite and nice yes i agree but thats by nature not because they like u and till the last moment when the whole thing will blow up they will still be nice, go to essex and other boroughs and see the number of additional seats the british national party have.
big_bumper:

Wait for me at the towncentre o, let me get my hoodie and come and happy slap you and show you some respect.

Oops, what was the topic again?

respect doesnt even mean that the person giving it will not do u harm if he/she has an opportunity, we all know thats their way in uk smiling and killing
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by EloSela(f): 10:12am On May 02, 2008
This thread stinks of sour grapes. . . grin

I have a British passport by birth and I am proud of it. I am in no way treated like a second class citizen in Britain and neither do I feel like one.  cool

How many Nigerians, with green passports can say the same about life in Nigeria?

Of course if your father is a big Oga, one may get preferential treatment as the ‘Big man’ culture is a staple in Nigerian society.

In Nigeria, if a poor man in his beaten down car jams Big Oga in his Mercedes on the street, the ensuing crowd will say to poor man:

“You de craze? Why you de drive anyhow? See de person wey you jam?  You no know say ee get money? Oloshi!”

If Big Oga in his brand new Mercedes jams a poor man in his ordinary car, the crowd will say to the poor man:

“Your fada! Why you no comot for road? See as you scatter oga moto anyhow, Oloshi!”

Who is the second class citizen in the scenario above?  grin
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by EloSela(f): 10:38am On May 02, 2008
Is the man in the pic below a second class citizen. . . I say no. I am not even sure if he would qualify to enter into the 10th class of citizenship, despite being a Nigerian in his own country and employed by the then President of Nigeria.

Which class of citizen is this man in Nigeria?

“One of the servants sitting down on the bed of his one room apartment. You can see the entire apartment in this shot.” - Dare Obasanjo

As you can see, this poor soul was not even allowed to freshen up after getting up from bed before Big Oga’s son busted into his quarters and snapped this pic so he could show of to his oyinbo friends on the world wide web that his father has ‘servants’

Further more Big Oga, did not even see fit to buy the man a decent bed, despite this man being a Nigerian citizen in Nigeria, never mind a human being like Big Oga himself.

First class citizen!  grin My Fada has money! grin

One can surely imagine the uproar that would follow if people like the Bush Twins or Prince William and Harry took pictures of the servants in The White House or Buckingham Palace to show off on their personal web sites, never mind if the Servants looked as pitiful as the one above. Of course that would be unheard off but in Nigeria if you if you are the offspring of a Big Oga then one can basically get away with murder.

A society where one is considered less than human, never mind a citizen in any class, because one doesn’t have the right amount of money, is a society that needs a drastic revolution before it can progress.

Please stop worrying about the class of citizenship in other countries and sort out your own first.

http://grandioseparlor.com/2007/04/a-presidential-servant/
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by eryck(m): 10:59am On May 02, 2008
@Elosela
whats the source of that info u dished out, that cant possibly be true.
WTF
Whats his point showing that picture his oyinbo friends
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by EloSela(f): 11:49am On May 02, 2008
There is a link in my post above. . .here it is again.

http://grandioseparlor.com/2007/04/a-presidential-servant/

If you read the posts that follow, Dare tries to justify why he felt he had the right to take that man's picture it his decrepit state and post it online for the world to see.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by lucabrasi(m): 11:53am On May 02, 2008
@eryck
apart from that,its more of an individual thing that the nigerian society because i dont see all rich men s childrens snapping these kind of photos and posting it on the net,more over spoilt children are the same all over the world,either black,white,green,yellow,even the prices william and harry arte spoilt and we have seen what they get up to in the papers,rich men's children in this country dont hang out with poor people's children as well they dont spend their summers in ayia napa they go to the carribean or the swiss alps and apart from the whole first class or the second class thing there is still class between the whites so lets not even get it twisted, there is still the middle class,working class(who complain og being treated as if they r invinsible,and the first class)and they never make the mistake of mixing together,they even have their own accent, at least obasanjo and other big men still have the same accent as baba ijebu the shoemaker or mr emeka the battery charger, richmen and poor men here dont eat the same thing at all and a poor man might not taste caviar,shrimps e.t.c the rich people eat here for the rest of his life, no matter how much obj has mr emeka the battery charger will eat the same amala and goat meat or the same poundo and egusi with assorted meat
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by EloSela(f): 2:49pm On May 02, 2008
This is not an individual thing but Nigerian culture through and through. . .I also think that bringing up accents and the certain foods that people eat as as way to classify who is 1st, 2nd or 3rd class citizen is incredibly stupid. . .no offence intended but it is. lol!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by lucabrasi(m): 3:24pm On May 02, 2008
like i said,class issues is not just a nigerian issue but worldwide and i gave my examples,what examples dyu have to disprove mine that its only in nigeria and nowhere else and its definitely true and anyone that cares to know ,knows for a fact that the aristocracy/royal family here in the united kingdom have a diffrent accent, ill advice you to simply google aristocracy and accent or ask a white friend and then u ll find out you are the numbskull and not me, no offence taken but u are wink
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by lucabrasi(m): 3:41pm On May 02, 2008
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by EloSela(f): 4:27pm On May 02, 2008
This thread is about class of citizenship and you have now jumped to start talking about class in general.

If you must know class does not determine how one is treated as a citizen in their own country but in Nigeria it does.

The richest man in Britain does not speak like the Queen and I am sure that their palates are not the same either and he would be considered an upper class, as would his children. However, someone like me would have the same right as his children because we both have the same citizenship. Anyone can adopt a certain type of etiquette and claim to be of a certain class, as class, whether it be upper, middle or lower is not an official designation like citizenship.

Class and citizenship are two different entities and every citizen in Britain, America and most western nations can freely exercise this right regardless of whatever class or colour they are considered to be. Can you say the same for Nigerians?. . . . no!

That is why a teacher can be beaten and burnt to death by her students. If that teacher had been a rich person's daughter or wife, the killers would have been rounded up and put in front of a firing squad.

That is why Big Bully Dare Obasanjo can boldly walk into the room of another grown man without permission, snap his picture and publish it on the world wide web for all and sundry to see.
to him as his servant.

(1) (2) (3)

Adventure To Morocco By Road / * / How Much Is Transport Cost From Sango Ota To Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.