Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,477 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End (1340 Views)

My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? / Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Marlians Not Allowed In My House, Landlord Issues Warning To Tenants - More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 7:35am On Jan 03, 2023
Good morning guys and happy new year.

Recall that some weeks ago I made a post about my experience searching for a house

https://www.nairaland.com/7484487/which-these-two-houses-should

But after 5months of rigorous search, paying agents and burning an average of 5 to 10k daily on transport and agent all in the name of inspection I finally got a place.

I didn't take the one in ikeja/ogba anymore after listening to suggestions of people here, I abandoned both that of Ogba and Aboru and continued my search.

Someone told me that taking a house of 650k per annum means I will spend the year working for landlord, as a single it may look easy for me to pay but by the time wife enters things may no longer look funny, that was the reason I abandoned the ikeja/ogba house. For me Aboru was never an option because the transportation cost alone is much plus it is flood prone.

My search took me to places like ayobo, iyana ipaja, agege, iyana Isolo, egbeda Berger, Ogba, alagbole, obawole, idinmu, Olodi apapa

One thing I noticed is that there is a sharp increase in house right now and this started since June 2022. Also people will give opinion based on how much they rented their place and how much they are paying not realizing that presently things have changed badly.

So, I go a decent place in an Estate in awodi Ora axis (close to mile 2). It seemed very far from my place of work but one thing that informed my decision is that

1. It is in a gated estate with security
2. The compound is gated with its own security and enough parking space to accommodate more than 8 cars
3. Extremely neat and serene, been there several times without hearing noise or kids jumping up and down, they are at home but always indoor and quiet
4. The rooms are very spacious (unlike the small spaces they showed me and called huge amount)
5. There is running water and a personal prepaid meter for every tenant.
6. Neighbors and passerby testified about the compound that its a good place and there is progress
7. Yearly rent is 300k per annum.
8. Trekkable distance to mile 2

The downside of this place is just that I will spend more on transportation going to ikeja daily about (1600 daily). But I can overlook the transport, I am not a salary earner so there are days I get some kind money like that. But for me to Carry that 650k OR 700k yearly for landlord, it will cause me big headache.

Reason I didn't go-to nearby axis like egbeda, iyana ipaja, agege, ayobo they didn't resonate with my spirit. Ayobo felt like I was going to ogun state, agege and iyana ipaja hmmmmm the environment and faces alone I saw scared me. Egbeda standard housed begins from 500k, didn't want anything close to that.

One thing I learnt is that the houses you see on Jiji, tolet.ng, private property, propertypro etc don't exists.

Those agents upload fine houses with cheap prices to lure you so you can pay their inspection fee then they start showing you rubbish.

I paid over 20 agents in almost every area of Lagos mainland and suburbs yet only Mr Martins in Ogba really worked, it pains me that I didn't get the house from him because he was like a father, patient and wasn't desperate for commission (I will settle him once I settle in the new house)

Please if you need a house around Ogba, Berger, ikeja, Obawole contact mr Martin or Emmanex property 08038221196

We saw several houses some agents were trying to convince me to take, but Mr Martins would tell me the pros and cons of the house and why I shouldn't take it. We saw one like that I liked it but he told me the house belongs to a Baale and he wouldn't want his client to be in a place where rituals take place, I ran away. We saw another place nice house but troublesome landlord, he told me the history of the place and why I should leave it.
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 03, 2023
overrated city
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by robinso01(m): 7:41am On Jan 03, 2023
Living in Lagos is not a child's play.
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Tokskob2008: 8:08am On Jan 03, 2023
Very glad you didn't go for the high prices and you finally got a place you like which is also affordable cos I remembered I was among those who spoke against it. It's really absurd paying close to a million yearly for rent as single and hustling guy, as you don't work for someone distance shouldn't bother you much na man you be but it's only the transport fare that shouldn't be too much and it seems you've got that covered too so nothing more just enjoy your new apartment...

Apartment searching in Lagos is like writing a very difficult exam, it will take you many trials and enough cash to get it done. House rent everywhere started increasing more since 2012, the Bubu effect grin

2 Likes

Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 2:04pm On Jan 03, 2023
Tokskob2008:
Very glad you didn't go for the high prices and you finally got a place you like which is also affordable cos I remembered I was among those who spoke against it. It's really absurd paying close to a million yearly for rent as single and hustling guy, as you don't work for someone distance shouldn't bother you much na man you be but it's only the transport fare that shouldn't be too much and it seems you've got that covered too so nothing more just enjoy your new apartment...

Apartment searching in Lagos is like writing a very difficult exam, it will take you many trials and enough cash to get it done. House rent everywhere started increasing more since 2012, the Bubu effect grin

My brother thank you. I remember that your comment.

I actually paid for that expensive one but decided to go through the comments a second time, after that I couldn't sleep then I called the landlord to refund my money, she did and I resumed the search.

It was a bitter experience because my time was ticking and I was spending so much money daily on agents and inspection.

I am glad I got this. I can actually overlook the transport so long as I am not taking so much money to landlord every year.

2022 settled my problem
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by ThaRealist: 5:03pm On Jan 06, 2023
Flesh10:

I actually paid for that expensive one but decided to go through the comments a second time, after that I couldn't sleep then I called the landlord to refund my money, she did and I resumed the search.

It was a bitter experience because my time was ticking and I was spending so much money daily on agents and inspection.

I am glad I got this. I can actually overlook the transport so long as I am not taking so much money to landlord every year.

2022 settled my problem

Hey brother , how can I get in touch with you ...
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 9:35pm On Jan 06, 2023
ThaRealist:

Hey brother , how can I get in touch with you ...

Drop your whatsapp line let me buzz you
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by BotafogoJunior(m): 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2023
Hello....I want to contact you,as I would want to check out houses in that your area for my cousin who wants to relocate to Lagos.
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Cutehector(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2023
Flesh10:
Good morning guys and happy new year.

Recall that some weeks ago I made a post about my experience searching for a house

https://www.nairaland.com/7484487/which-these-two-houses-should

But after 5months of rigorous search, paying agents and burning an average of 5 to 10k daily on transport and agent all in the name of inspection I finally got a place.

I didn't take the one in ikeja/ogba anymore after listening to suggestions of people here, I abandoned both that of Ogba and Aboru and continued my search.

Someone told me that taking a house of 650k per annum means I will spend the year working for landlord, as a single it may look easy for me to pay but by the time wife enters things may no longer look funny, that was the reason I abandoned the ikeja/ogba house. For me Aboru was never an option because the transportation cost alone is much plus it is flood prone.

My search took me to places like ayobo, iyana ipaja, agege, iyana Isolo, egbeda Berger, Ogba, alagbole, obawole, idinmu, Olodi apapa

One thing I noticed is that there is a sharp increase in house right now and this started since June 2022. Also people will give opinion based on how much they rented their place and how much they are paying not realizing that presently things have changed badly.

So, I go a decent place in an Estate in awodi Ora axis (close to mile 2). It seemed very far from my place of work but one thing that informed my decision is that

1. It is in a gated estate with security
2. The compound is gated with its own security and enough parking space to accommodate more than 8 cars
3. Extremely neat and serene, been there several times without hearing noise or kids jumping up and down, they are at home but always indoor and quiet
4. The rooms are very spacious (unlike the small spaces they showed me and called huge amount)
5. There is running water and a personal prepaid meter for every tenant.
6. Neighbors and passerby testified about the compound that its a good place and there is progress
7. Yearly rent is 300k per annum.
8. Trekkable distance to mile 2

The downside of this place is just that I will spend more on transportation going to ikeja daily about (1600 daily). But I can overlook the transport, I am not a salary earner so there are days I get some kind money like that. But for me to Carry that 650k OR 700k yearly for landlord, it will cause me big headache.

Reason I didn't go-to nearby axis like egbeda, iyana ipaja, agege, ayobo they didn't resonate with my spirit. Ayobo felt like I was going to ogun state, agege and iyana ipaja hmmmmm the environment and faces alone I saw scared me. Egbeda standard housed begins from 500k, didn't want anything close to that.

One thing I learnt is that the houses you see on Jiji, tolet.ng, private property, propertypro etc don't exists.

Those agents upload fine houses with cheap prices to lure you so you can pay their inspection fee then they start showing you rubbish.

I paid over 20 agents in almost every area of Lagos mainland and suburbs yet only Mr Martins in Ogba really worked, it pains me that I didn't get the house from him because he was like a father, patient and wasn't desperate for commission (I will settle him once I settle in the new house)

Please if you need a house around Ogba, Berger, ikeja, Obawole contact mr Martin or Emmanex property 08038221196

We saw several houses some agents were trying to convince me to take, but Mr Martins would tell me the pros and cons of the house and why I shouldn't take it. We saw one like that I liked it but he told me the house belongs to a Baale and he wouldn't want his client to be in a place where rituals take place, I ran away. We saw another place nice house but troublesome landlord, he told me the history of the place and why I should leave it.

1600 daily multiplied by all the working days in a year minus weekends will give you approx 384,000.

Add it to your rent..

Pennywise pound foolish.

2 Likes

Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Greatest0011: 1:09am On Jan 08, 2023
Flesh10:

2022 settled my problem

How can I contact you bro? I currently have a similar dilemma. I sent my whatsapp number to your email
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 4:20pm On Jan 08, 2023
Cutehector:
1600 daily multiplied by all the working days in a year minus weekends will give you approx 384,000.

Add it to your rent..

Pennywise pound foolish.

Maybe that is how you see it. That calculation you did is applicable to salary earners that must factor feeding, transport and distance before considering a place.

I am not a salary earner. I am a day earner, a business person. Today I can make 1k while tomorrow I can make 50k but it is certain I have no fix income.

I can overlook the money I spend on transport, if transport itches me too much I can gather a little and buy a small car to drive to my biz area but one thing is certain. It will hurt me and my business to carry that money in bulk every year to pay to a landlord.

Paying more than half a million yearly for a substandard house will itch me as a business person more than the money I spend on transport. Also don't forget that the year runs so fast. You can pay rent now and before you know it's another January and landlord will be expecting his money while you are yet to recover from the last one you paid. And chances of a house of 500k getting increased to 600k OR 700k is quite high, remember this is Lagos Nigeria the laws don't recognize the poor and landlords act with impunity

So Thank you

1 Like

Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 4:22pm On Jan 08, 2023
BotafogoJunior:
Hello....I want to contact you,as I would want to check out houses in that your area for my cousin who wants to relocate to Lagos.

OK send a mail or drop me ur contact
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Flesh10: 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2023
Greatest0011:

How can I contact you bro? I currently have a similar dilemma. I sent my whatsapp number to your email

I did not see your number but I already replied your mail with my whatsapp line
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by ThaRealist: 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2023
Flesh10:

Drop your WhatsApp line and let me buzz you

the anti-bot deleted my number and banned me after dropping the message when I did. what is the alternative?
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by lokoventurex1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 10, 2023
House rent is my biggest threat as I write this. I just got married and needed a room and parlour self contained in Lagos around Oshodi or Mafoluku, but I've been hearing something bigger than my budget. OP, I'm a business person like you and but 1600 daily on transportation daily is a no no for me. If only I could get a say 350-400k yearly payment around this axis mentioned, I'll jump at it. Na flat and mini flat dey kill us in Lagos.
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by remsonik(f): 8:14pm On Jan 10, 2023
I am searching for a room self contain within Lagos and one agent is saying that I should do inspection within bariga/ilaje axis. Please is that area safe to reside in
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Cutehector(m): 3:20am On Jan 11, 2023
remsonik:
I am searching for a room self contain within Lagos and one agent is saying that I should do inspection within bariga/ilaje axis. Please is that area safe to reside in
you'll need to ask the tenants in the compound before paying if they have experiences of theft in the compound.
Re: My House Search In Lagos Finally Came To An End by Emmaplays: 11:18pm On Mar 21
Please I’m curious to know how the estate is. I’m currently looking for a mini flat

Please reach out 0 81 67,320,745

(1) (Reply)

Garden Of Eden Estate Simawa Off Mowe Ogun State.this Is A Nice Estate. / 93 Acres Residential/industrial Estate Land On Lagos-ibadan Exp-way. C. Of O. / Lands And Houses For Sale At Osogbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.