Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,040 members, 7,810,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous (29903 Views)

24-Hour Wake For Pelé Begins As Fans Line Up To Pay Last Respects (Photos) / Leo Messi Overtakes Pelé For Most Career Goals Scored With 758 / Maradona's Death: Players, Entertainers Mourn Soccer Legend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Racoon(m): 4:49am On Jan 04, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJB-B9FVatM
SANTOS, Brazil (AP) — Pelé was buried in his final resting place Tuesday as millions of fans in Brazil and around the world mourned the sports legend. Newly inaugurated President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva paid his respects at Vila Belmiro, the stadium where Pelé played for most of his career.

Pelé was being laid to rest in the city where he grew up, became famous, and helped make into a global capital of his sport. Mass was held at the Vila Belmiro stadium before the black casket was driven through the streets of the city of Santos in a firetruck.

It was taken into the cemetery as bands played the Santos team’s official song, and a Catholic hymn. Before the golden-wrapped casket arrived, attendees sang samba songs that Pelé had liked.Some legends of Pelé’s sport weren’t there.

“Where’s Ronaldo Nazario? Where’s Kaká, where’s Neymar?” asked Claudionor Alves, 67, who works at a bakery next to the stadium. “Do they think they will be remembered like Pelé will? These guys didn’t want to stop their vacations, that’s the problem.”

Another notable absentee was Jair Bolsonaro, whose term as president ended Dec. 31. A day before, he departed capital Brasilia on a flight to Florida, shirking the ceremonial duty of passing the presidential sash to Lula. Bolsonaro is staying in a condominium complex outside Orlando and has been filmed speaking to neighbors.

Geovana Sarmento, 17, waited in the three-hour line to view his body as it lay in repose. She came with her father, who was wearing a Brazil shirt with Pelé’s name.

“I am not a Santos fan, neither is my father. But this guy invented Brazil’s national team. He made Santos stronger, he made it big, how could you not respect him? He is one of the greatest people ever, we needed to honor him,” she said.

Caio Zalke, 35, an engineer, wore a Brazil shirt as he waited in line. “Pelé is the most important Brazilian of all time. He made the sport important for Brazil and he made Brazil important for the world,” he said.

In the 1960s and 70s, Pelé was perhaps the world’s most famous athlete. He met presidents and queens, and in Nigeria a civil war was put on hold to watch him play. Many Brazilians credit him with putting the country on the world stage for the first time.

Rows of shirts with Pelé’s number 10 were placed behind one of the goals, waving in the city’s summer winds. A section of the stands was filling up with bouquets of flowers placed by mourners and sent by clubs and star players Neymar and Ronaldo among them from around the world as loudspeakers played a song named “Eu sou Pelé” (“I am Pelé”) that was recorded by the Brazilian himself.

The crowd was mostly local, although some came from far away. Many mourners were too young ever to have seen Pelé play. The mood was light, as people filtered out of the stadium to local bars, wearing Santos FC and Brazil shirts.

Claudio Carrança, 32, a salesman, said: “I never saw him play, but loving Pelé is a tradition that goes from father to son in Santos. I learned his history, saw his goals, and I see how Santos FC is important because he is important.

I know some Santos fans have children supporting other teams. But that’s just because they never saw Pelé in action. If they had, they would feel this gratitude I feel now.”

Among those at the stadium was Pelé’s best friend Manoel Maria, also a former Santos player. “If I had all the wealth in the world I would never be able to repay what this man did for me and my family,” Maria said. “He was as great a man as he was as a player; the best of all time. His legacy will outlive us all. And that can be seen in this long line with people of all ages here.”

FIFA President Gianni Infantino told journalists that every country should name a stadium after Pelé.
“I am here with a lot of emotion, sadness, but also with a smile because he gave us so many smiles,” Infantino said. “As FIFA, we will pay a tribute to the ‘King’ and we ask the whole world to observe a minute of silence.”

Another fan and friend in line was Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Gilmar Mendes. “It is a very sad moment, but we are now seeing the real meaning of this legendary player to our country,”

Mendes told journalists. “My office has shirts signed by Pelé, a picture of him as a goalkeeper, also signed by him. DVDs, photos, a big collection of him.”

Pelé had undergone treatment for colon cancer since 2021. The medical center where he had been hospitalized said he died of multiple organ failure as a result of the cancer.

Pelé led Brazil to World Cup titles in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and remains one of the team’s all-time leading scorers with 77 goals. Neymar tied Pelé’s record during this year’s World Cup in Qatar.

https://time.com/6243918/pele-funeral-brazil/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=world_&linkId=195876866

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Racoon(m): 4:52am On Jan 04, 2023
The football world will forever remember you Pele. Adiue and rest on hero. Find peace with the God you have ever believed in.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Racoon(m): 4:53am On Jan 04, 2023
In the 1960s and 70s, Pelé was perhaps the world’s most famous athlete. He met presidents and queens, and in Nigeria a civil war was put on hold to watch him play. Many Brazilians credit him with putting the country on the world stage for the first time.
And no national monument was named in his honour here in Nigeria? Pele must have also been a humanitarian and peace advocate.

7 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by God1000(m): 5:45am On Jan 04, 2023
May his soul rest in peace, he was an electrifying and extraordinary footballer, the greatest of all time, A trailblazer

The Goat of the Goats, au revoir legend

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by rayvelez(m): 9:00am On Jan 04, 2023
Sleep well Legend....

1 Like

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by BOLATINUBU01: 10:30am On Jan 04, 2023
Rest on

1 Like

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Kingpele(m): 10:30am On Jan 04, 2023
Rest on my football name seek,I remembered 24 years ago when a certain young man (he's late now ,may his soul rest in peace) named me pele after i dribbled past four players at once to score a unique goal..the guy shouted from the stands pele pele oo and the name stink till date ,then I didn't know the great guy but with time I got to know he was a fantastic player ...and I became proud of the name but after his death I realised that pele wasn't his real name but nick name ...so am glad we share a unique nick name, I pray he was good in the sight of God which is the only requirement to rest in his bosom of peace...human praise is vain only God decides who rest in peace and who rot in hades...let humanity fear God e get why

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Teeroyzimma: 10:31am On Jan 04, 2023
cry Rest up Pele

The only goats are Pele and Maradona

The only goat alive is Cr7

13 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by TimmyTen(m): 10:31am On Jan 04, 2023
The great Pele played a key role in winning the 1958 and 1970 World Cups for his country, and summoned his biggest performances on the biggest stage. Rest On Legend

3 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Weederness: 10:32am On Jan 04, 2023
And his leg buried In some museum
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Nickisindigo(m): 10:32am On Jan 04, 2023
Pls which stadium Nigeria would name after Pele?
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Gwan2(m): 10:33am On Jan 04, 2023
Of reading many books there is no end, and too much studies a weariness to the mind, here is the conclusion of the matter, fear God and keep his commandment, for this is the whole duty of Man.

Ecc 12 : 12

8 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Antiochus(m): 10:33am On Jan 04, 2023
God1000:
May his soul rest in peace, he was the most electrifying and extraordinary footballer in human history, A trailblazer

The Goat of the Goats, au revoir legend

E b lyk say na Nairaland you dey live this man. You are always on every topic. Na wah o.
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by wiseone28: 10:33am On Jan 04, 2023
Go well papa pele
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by opalu: 10:34am On Jan 04, 2023
Rip

4 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Musty112: 10:35am On Jan 04, 2023
And now, he has reached what he put forward
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by iFESTAC680(m): 10:35am On Jan 04, 2023
Pele cry cry cry RIP
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Blake755: 10:35am On Jan 04, 2023
Great player he was maybe Santos should retire their number 10 jersey shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by boldking(m): 10:35am On Jan 04, 2023
Hmmmmm
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by VeryWickedSimp: 10:36am On Jan 04, 2023
I want him to pass on his powers to me.

1 Like

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by naijapikin2(m): 10:36am On Jan 04, 2023
Rip the goat
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Richy4(m): 10:37am On Jan 04, 2023
I would have loved to ask any mortician if its advisable to touch the dead.. considering all the chemicals....they were just touching anyhow...

1 Like

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by marlow1962(m): 10:37am On Jan 04, 2023
Buhari, tinubu, all their fellow evil politicians and dia demented supporters of evil and backwardness should find one cemetery to make famous, Incase dy die.
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by Awise09(m): 10:38am On Jan 04, 2023
Rest on Pele if possible play football to entertain them. Adieu
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by wiseone28: 10:38am On Jan 04, 2023
Weederness:
And his leg buried In some museum
is it true?
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by HealthKelvin: 10:39am On Jan 04, 2023
RIP, legend.

Talking about colon cancer,
while the exact etiology of colorectal and many other cancer is multi factorial and idiopathic, we should avoid ingesting nonsense into our GIT.

The one I saw today is papered straw in one Milo chocolate drink., and it became obvious to me that these companies are just after profit with zero consideration for your health.

Avoid using papered straw.

2 Likes

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by israelmao(m): 10:40am On Jan 04, 2023
Pele has blazed the trail and set the pace.Goodnight to the king of round leather.

1 Like

Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by FORHII: 10:41am On Jan 04, 2023
Racoon:
And no national monument was named in his honour here in Nigeria? Pele must have also been a humanitarian and peace advocate.
We don't celebrate greatness of such in Nigeria....
Re: Soccer Legend Pelé Buried At Cemetery In Brazilian City He Made Famous by sofeo(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2023
Alright!

(1) (2) (Reply)

FIFA Plans To Replace Linesmen With VAR And Robots / Coaches Of Nigerian Premier League Teams / Cristiano Ronaldo Tops List Of World’s Highest-paid Athletes In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.