Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Flutter Or React-native. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Flutter Or React-native. (1290 Views)

Flutter Or React Native App Developer Needed / Flutter Or React Native / Which Of Them Is Better To Learn (flutter Or Java) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutter Or React-native. by Developer404(m): 7:29pm On Jan 04, 2023
I'm a full stack web developer and now i want to go into pp development to cap it all off.

But I'm confused after my research, i needed a cross-platform tool to help me build in order to reduce work load, Google suggested a few but I've skimmed it down to Flutter and React-native .

I've asked some senior developers on Facebook some said React-native some said flutter, they said react native comes easy and it has a large community to learn from while flutter is tedious and has less community. Please help
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by qtguru(m): 7:31pm On Jan 04, 2023
If you want more quick gigs React Native, if you want Performance Flutter

6 Likes

Re: Flutter Or React-native. by tosinhtml: 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2023
Developer404:

I've asked some senior developers on Facebook some said React-native some said flutter, they said react native comes easy and it has a large community to learn from while flutter is tedious and has less community. Please help

This is false, React Native requires more work than any other platform because of the performance problems you will face. Having a large community doesn't mean you won't constantly be running into issues & getting stuck. Flutter now has a huge community too and you can easily spin up an app in few days, you're done. If you're doing Freelancing, the customer does not need to know what you used to build the app. Yours is to deliver the product & collect your money.

At the end, just learn both. They are similar in declarative approach and you don't know what opportunities might come to you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flutter Or React-native. by Mimisboygreat: 7:44pm On Jan 04, 2023
qtguru:
If you want more quick gigs React Native, if you want Performance Flutter
Compliments of the season bro. I sent you a mail, pls check.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by adelnehis(m): 2:30pm On Jan 05, 2023
Flutter is the best!
Fast performance, smaller app size, shorter development time, sexy language, lots of awesome widgets available on pub.dev
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by TooMuchSense1(m): 8:04pm On Jan 05, 2023
tosinhtml:

This is false, React Native requires more work than any other platform because of the performance problems you will face. Having a large community doesn't mean you won't see shege. Flutter now has a huge community and you can easily spin up an app in few days, you're done. If you're doing Freelancing, the customer does not need to know what you used to build the app. Yours is to deliver the product & collect your kudi.

At the end, just learn both. They are similar in declarative approach and you don't know what opportunities might come to you.
Like how long does it take to learn either react-native or flutter?
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by jikins(m): 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2023
TooMuchSense1:

Flutter should be easier I believe. If you are starting from scratch. React native needs you to know javascript, css, react basics and react native syntax. In some cases where you need certain functionality that you can't do with react native, you will have to write some native code in java or swift for android or ios respectively. But these are extreme cases though but it could happen.

Flutter I believe you only need to learn dart.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by TooMuchSense1(m): 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2023
jikins:

Flutter should be easier I believe. If you are starting from scratch. React native needs you to know javascript, css, react basics and react native syntax. In some cases where you need certain functionality that you can't do with react native, you will have to write some native code in java or swift for android or ios respectively. But these are extreme cases though but it could happen.

Flutter I believe you only need to learn dart.
I actually do know css and JS fairly well, but I'm yet to learn react. I guess I will settle for flutter if I decide to go into mobile app development.
I just completed learning Python and I'm presently learning Django for backend . I'm also considering mastering data science and machine learning, but I've always been interested in developing mobile apps as well. I'm kind of confused right now about the area to really focus on grin (perhaps you have some advice for me?)
What kind of developer are you?
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by jikins(m): 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2023
TooMuchSense1:

I actually do know css and JS fairly well, but I'm yet to learn react. I guess I will settle for flutter if I decide to go into mobile app development.
I just completed learning Python and I'm presently learning Django for backend . I'm also considering mastering data science and machine learning, but I've always been interested in developing mobile apps as well. I'm kind of confused right now about the area to really focus on grin (perhaps you have some advice for me?)
What kind of developer are you?

Its best to find your feet somewhere first before branching out in my opinion. My advice if you want to do mobile do it fully if its backend do it fully if its web frontend same thing. You can start branching out to other areas after you become grounded in which ever one you choose. Don't start branching when you are just starting out.

If you know css and javascript, react native might be more straightforward for you especially if you don't want to have to learn a new language. You don't need to know everything in react just the basics then you are good to go.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by TooMuchSense1(m): 10:21pm On Jan 05, 2023
jikins:

Its best to find your feet somewhere first before branching out in my opinion. My advice if you want to do mobile do it fully if its backend do it fully if its web frontend same thing. You can start branching out to other areas after you become grounded in which ever one you choose. Don't start branching when you are just starting out.

If you know css and javascript, react native might be more straightforward for you especially if you don't want to have to learn a new language. You don't need to know everything in react just the basics then you are good to go.
One of the reasons for my confusion is the uncertainty about which area will offer the best opportunities in terms of getting a job and making reasonable money.
In your opinion, which of frontend dev, backend dev, mobile app dev, or data science is generally more profitable?
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 12:06am On Jan 06, 2023
Flutter has so many snippets and amazing in-code documentation that you feel like a spoilt child.

It is hard to miss road in flutter….until you get to state management. Na there all road go scatter…until riverpod and go_router comes to save you (or shave you depending on their mood)

If you have a strong state management background, then you should sail through easily.

If you have a background in React, then you might lean logically towards React Native but i would still advise you consider Flutter as dart is a very sweet language.

Either one you choose, you are still on the right track. Theres not a single road to the village market.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Flutter Or React-native. by qtguru(m): 12:31am On Jan 06, 2023
truthCoder:
Flutter has so many snippets and amazing in-code documentation that you feel like a spoilt child.

It is hard to miss road in flutter….until you get to state management. Na there all road go scatter…until riverpod and go_router comes to save you (or shave you depending on their mood)

If you have a strong state management background, then you should sail through easily.

If you have a background in React, then you might lean logically towards React Native but i would still advise you consider Flutter as dart is a very sweet language.

Either one you choose, you are still on the right track. Theres not a single road to the village market.

Cheers

Everything you said resonates with me, RN is headache compared to Flutter especially if you know some Java too. You'd recommend Riverpod over Bloc ?

1 Like

Re: Flutter Or React-native. by tosinhtml: 4:20am On Jan 06, 2023
TooMuchSense1:

In 1 - 2 Months, Flutter, it is easier to learn. But as they said if you're looking for money, React Native offers more opportunities and the reason is because Facebook came out with it in 2015, a lot of companies have adopted it therefore trying to maintain an existing codebase.

It is a very crazy market honestly.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 7:37am On Jan 06, 2023
qtguru:

Everything you said resonates with me, RN is headache compared to Flutter especially if you know some Java too. You'd recommend Riverpod over Bloc ?

Riverpod doesn’t depend on context but stays at the very top of the widget tree, wrapping even MyApp() in a ProviderScope widget.

Since it owns the whole building instead of being a co-tenant, it logically seems not to be fighting against the tree.

RiverPod 2.0 is out and even better.

I chose RiverPod because it was developed by the guys who actually built Provider and its seen as a ‘correction’ of the ‘lapses’ that they noticed.

I heard a lot of Flutter devs just stick to ChangeNotifier() and deploy jejely. I dont like leaks and vulnerabilities which is why I believe variables should not just be everywhere not needed.

I consider myself a greenhorn in Flutter.

My choice of RiverPod might not be the best and i would gladly appreciate if the professors and deans of Flutter here can advise on the best package in this regards.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by qtguru(m): 7:41am On Jan 06, 2023
truthCoder:

Riverpod doesn’t depend on context but stays at the very top of the widget tree, wrapping even MyApp() in a ProviderScope widget.

Since it owns the whole building instead of being a co-tenant, it logically seems not to be fighting against the tree.

I chose RiverPod because it was developed by the guys who actually built Provider and its seen as a ‘correction’ of the ‘lapses’ that they noticed.

I heard a lot of Flutter devs just stick to ChangeNotifier() and deploy jejely. I dont like leaks and vulnerabilities which is why I believe variables should not just be everywhere not needed.

My choice of RiverPod might not be the best and i would gladly appreciate if the professors and deans of Flutter here can advise on the best package in this regards.

I'll make a research on it and let you know, I have an app to make as an example, so I'll try one of the state management libs.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 7:44am On Jan 06, 2023
tosinhtml:

In 1 - 2 Months, Flutter, it is easier to learn. But as they said if you're looking for money, React Native offers more opportunities and the reason is because Facebook came out with it in 2015, a lot of companies have adopted it therefore trying to maintain an existing codebase.

It is a very crazy market honestly.

1 to 2 months for flutter is very optimistic, especially for someone who is asking that question.

Depending on his previous programming background and ability to grasp Dart, he could be up and running in few days creating UI.

However, a real app in 2023 is now more than just the UI and a real Flutter dev (or any dev for that matter) must be able to handle a lot more than Text(‘I am a flutter dev’).

I would say, he should budget minimum of 4 months and start from Dart proper, if he is new to programming, else he will just keep coming back to the same dart that he skimmed over.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 7:50am On Jan 06, 2023
qtguru:

I'll make a research on it and let you know, I have an app to make as an example, so I'll try one of the state management libs.

Glovo app is an app that i love their state management and how everything just works.

From same registration page, right into ordering food then remembering my mobile number is not yet verified and verifying same all within the order page.

The order page then seamlessly completes the order, updates itself about the order status and migrates into a map tracking app when the delivery is on its way, all without me clicking unnecessary buttons.

It was like watching a movie.

That is the kind of experience i hope all my apps would give.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flutter Or React-native. by Donpre(m): 8:16am On Jan 06, 2023
truthCoder:

I'm yet to try Riverpod because when I wanted to, the docs was bad and the code never worked, pre-1.0. I hear its better now but my current codebases use other state management solutions.

I prefer Bloc for its maturity. Its been tested trusted and works well. Plus VGV maintains it so I have every confidence in it.

Although Remi is a beast so eventually I think Riverpod will grow to be the mainstay state management like Provider has become if people can get comfortable using custom stateless widgets instead of the normal one

I wonder if Riverpod solved the issue of side effects like Bloc does with BlocListener. When you want to make a UI call, say show a toast when a particular state change occurs. In provider, I had to setup streams. Any idea if riverpod has a solution for that?
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by tosinhtml: 8:32am On Jan 06, 2023
truthCoder:

1 to 2 months for flutter is very optimistic, especially for someone who is asking that question.

Depending on his previous programming background and ability to grasp Dart, he could be up and running in few days creating UI.

However, a real app in 2023 is now more than just the UI and a real Flutter dev (or any dev for that matter) must be able to handle a lot more than Text(‘I am a flutter dev’).

I would say, he should budget minimum of 4 months and start from Dart proper, if he is new to programming, else he will just keep coming back to the same dart that he skimmed over.

You're absolutely right, I was looking at it from my own lens as I'm already familiar with Java, Kotlin & Swift.

Apart from the language Dart & Flutter the UI, there are even other parts of Mobile that is complex like Android/iOS native implementations, that is where the real issue begins. Then architectural patterns, if he wants to get hired as full-time Flutter dev.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by mayemaye(m): 9:40pm On Jan 06, 2023
truthCoder:

Glovo app is an app that i love their state management and how everything just works.

From same registration page, right into ordering food then remembering my mobile number is not yet verified and verifying same all within the order page.

The order page then seamlessly completes the order, updates itself about the order status and migrates into a map tracking app when the delivery is on its way, all without me clicking unnecessary buttons.

It was like watching a movie.

That is the kind of experience i hope all my apps would give.

Hello boss Good evening

I'm new to android dev, I write with Kotlin for now I have been able to develop minor apps like calculator, gallery, music player and others

Sir please do you advised I quickly switch to cross platform or stay native for now
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 6:36am On Jan 07, 2023
mayemaye:

Hello boss Good evening

I'm new to android dev, I write with Kotlin for now I have been able to develop minor apps like calculator, gallery, music player and others

Sir please do you advised I quickly switch to cross platform or stay native for now

There are some clients that still prefer native development.

I also know a little bit of Swift UI and can find my way around the codes. However, except i am working in a big team where there are different devs for different platforms, i would prefer to logically use a cross platform for those small projects.

Get your full hang of Kotlin. Become a pro at it, then explore some Flutter.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by mayemaye(m): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2023
truthCoder:

There are some clients that still prefer native development.

I also know a little bit of Swift UI and can find my way around the codes. However, except i am working in a big team where there are different devs for different platforms, i would prefer to logically use a cross platform for those small projects.

Get your full hang of Kotlin. Become a pro at it, then explore some Flutter.

Sir just a quick one with your experience in Nigeria were most of the apps built using native or cross platform

Thanks for your feedback
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 10:23am On Jan 07, 2023
mayemaye:

Sir just a quick one with your experience in Nigeria were most of the apps built using native or cross platform

Thanks for your feedback

Small companies- Cross
Big companies - Native.

For 2023, with the massive layoffs everywhere, I expect tech teams to become leaner so more companies would adopt cross platforms more.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by mayemaye(m): 11:17am On Jan 07, 2023
truthCoder:

Small companies- Cross
Big companies - Native.

For 2023, with the massive layoffs everywhere, I expect tech teams to become leaner so more companies would adopt cross platforms more.

Thanks Sir I really appreciate
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by Unbiased1: 1:27pm On Jan 07, 2023
Developer404:
I'm a full stack web developer and now i want to go into pp development to cap it all off.

But I'm confused after my research, i needed a cross-platform tool to help me build in order to reduce work load, Google suggested a few but I've skimmed it down to Flutter and React-native .

Here are few points to note:
1) If you are a full stack developer who knows JavaScript, React and Node, React Native will be easier for you to learn since it is also based in JavaScript. On the hand, Flutter requires you to learn the Dart Programming language.
2) Flutter has better performance and more inbuilt/out of the box features than React Native.
3) React Native has far larger community so it will be easier for you to get answers to any issue you might encounter during the coding process.
4) React Native has a Webview feature which allows you to turn an already existing website into an app without having to recode anything. Flutter also has similar features.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by mayemaye(m): 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2023
truthCoder:

Small companies- Cross
Big companies - Native.

Good afternoon Sir

Just want to ask do you develop the app UI yourself or there are pips who do that while you just import and write the codes or how does it work in both small and big firms. Hope you understand me Sir
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by truthCoder: 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
mayemaye:

Good afternoon Sir

Just want to ask do you develop the app UI yourself or there are pips who do that while you just import and write the codes or how does it work in both small and big firms. Hope you understand me Sir

In a team, there are guys who design and send the designs for approval. Heads of units will meet on thr designs and approve.

Lots of considerations are put into the designs including UX, os version target (Android 5.0 or 10.0), market demographics, feedback on previous iterations etc

When final design is casted, the mobile app design team is informed and they build accordingly, interacting with the backend as they progress.

Tests are conducted and codes approved bit by bit till final iteration. This is then committed for release.

For small one man teams, you do everything yourself or you can outsource some parts.
Re: Flutter Or React-native. by mayemaye(m): 7:50am On Jan 12, 2023
truthCoder:

In a team, there are guys who design and send the designs for approval. Heads of units will meet on thr designs and approve.

Lots of considerations are put into the designs including UX, os version target (Android 5.0 or 10.0), market demographics, feedback on previous iterations etc

When final design is casted, the mobile app design team is informed and they build accordingly, interacting with the backend as they progress.

Tests are conducted and codes approved bit by bit till final iteration. This is then committed for release.

For small one man teams, you do everything yourself or you can outsource some parts.

Well explained Sir
Thanks so much

(1) (Reply)

Help with Javascript headache / Programmers Networking Community / Need Visual Studio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.