Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight (31060 Views)

CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments / CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner / First Bank: CBN Breaks Silence, Says No Individual Can Own The Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by AnonPoet: 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2023
The attention of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been drawn to a spurious, malicious, and misleading online publication, which made several false claims concerning the recent sale of the Federal Government’s interest in Polaris Bank Ltd. Given the potentially grave implications for the stability of the bank, financial sector and the Nigerian economy, the CBN is constrained to correct these inaccuracies.

For the records, the public is referred to the statement dated October 20, 2022 by CBN & AMCON announcing the sale of 100% equity in Polaris Bank to a new core investor, Strategic Capital Investment Limited (SCIL), wherein it provided copious details of the process by which the sale was conducted.

Contrary to claims in the aforementioned online publication, the divestment from Polaris Bank was supervised by a Divestment Committee (Committee) comprising senior representatives of AMCON & CBN and supported by reputable legal and financial advisers. In addition, the divestment mode, process and decision received requisite board and regulatory approvals.

[b]At no time did any other party make a higher purchase offer as falsely claimed by the online publication. The entity in question, Fairview Acquisition Partners, had indicated an interest in acquiring two banks, including Polaris Bank, for a total sum of N1.2 trillion, an indicative offer which significantly discounted the existing N1.305 trillion debt owed by Polaris Bank to AMCON and so represented a material loss to the Federal Government. Notwithstanding, along with twenty-four (24) other parties, Fairview Acquisition Partners was invited by the financial advisors to participate in the sale process via the execution of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), the first stage of the process. The financial advisors informed the Committee that Fairview Acquisition Partners neither executed nor returned the NDA despite verbally confirming receipt of the agreement and after follow-up from the financial advisors. Therefore, Fairview Acquisition Partners did not take the opportunity to update their offer by participating in the divestment process and thus did not make a binding purchase offer for Polaris Bank.[/b]

The divestment was executed based on the relevant laws, global best practices for bank resolutions, and requisite regulatory approvals. The Committee, along with its legal and financial advisers, conducted a rigorous technical and financial evaluation of the purchase proposals, assessing promoters’ fitness and propriety, offer price received vs. reserve price, funding structure and financial capacity, strategy and growth plans, amongst others.

Following evaluation, the promoters of the strategic purpose vehicle, SCIL, emerged as the preferred purchaser, having presented the most comprehensive technical/financial purchase proposal and the highest-rated growth plans for Polaris Bank. In addition to passing all fitness and propriety tests, the promoters also made the highest financial offer for the bank, which was significantly above its core valuation and reserve price.

SCIL’s binding offer involved an immediate upfront consideration of N50 billion and full responsibility for the debt of N1.305 trillion owed to AMCON, essentially a total purchase consideration of N1.355 trillion. This offer was the most competitive and provided taxpayers and the Federal Government with more than full recovery of its intervention cost. By the sale, the CBN and Federal Government achieved a successful, value-driven resolution of a strategic financial institution.

This curiously-timed online publication deliberately misrepresents the circumstances surrounding the sale of a strategic asset of the Federal Government. Its misleading statements are obviously intended to undermine the credibility of the divestment process. It also portends negatively on the stability of Polaris Bank and risks derailing the progress made by the monetary authorities.

We reiterate that the divestment from Polaris Bank was an institutional decision supervised by a Committee comprising senior representatives of AMCON & CBN, coordinated through reputable legal and financial advisers and approved by the respective leadership and boards of the two institutions.

The CBN remains resolute in pursuing its mandate to promote a safe and sound financial system in Nigeria.

This is for the records and attention of the general public.

Osita Nwanisobi
Director, Corporate Communications

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theeagleonline.com.ng/sale-of-polaris-bank-cbn-sets-record-straight/&ved=2ahUKEwjGleya6q78AhVWTKQEHUhODecQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw36RT5cgzmBadI5vz1Xholo

2 Likes

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2023
It's the same thing both reports are saying, only a 50bn pay was made

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
Good to read the records

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
I wish I have someone
Who can help; with my dream ................

Sky Bank, always there; saying Yes to your needs.

We missed Sky Bank of then.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Ancecoker(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
cheesy
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Realmi: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
..polaris....the bank get head before ...just asking tho

11 Likes

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by omowolewa: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
Why was the record bent at first

Just thank God for this administration

7 Likes

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Heroicvic(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
Na piggy bank (kolo) I dey use, I gat no business with all these news
Nigeria bank 5000+5000=9890 grin if you know you know

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by boldking(m): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2023
Better at least after selling it then use the money to campaign for Peter Obi to make a better NIGERIA for you and our next generations

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Sonnobax15(m): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2023
wink

1 Like

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Zico5(m): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2023
Which records are they setting straight. Bunch of thieves calling themselves progressive. Buhari's bad leadership will surely hunt Nigeria for decades. I pity the next person coming as the president. It's not the best time to be at the helm of the affairs of this country. Things have greatly gone bad and we need divine intervention to put things in order.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by ClassicMan202(m): 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2023
Criminals.... This administration just put this country on a looting spree, all these rogues just dey cash out our common wealth

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by neonly: 10:19pm On Jan 04, 2023
Tinubus bank

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2023
Really? Do people still use these commercial banks?
Despite all these stamp duty?

I use Fairmoney, they gave me atm card, zero charges, zero stamp duty and I still get to take loan from them easily without any collateral

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by kamikaze11: 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2023
It is
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by flexyrule(m): 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2023
Misleading...
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by udoataha(m): 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2023
Why bring it up again?

1 Like

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by sotaba: 10:23pm On Jan 04, 2023
Please Vote for PETER OBI for a better Nigeria

God bless you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by futuregovernor: 10:23pm On Jan 04, 2023
post=119717810:
Reading
Reading what...can you read

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by 90FullyBack: 10:24pm On Jan 04, 2023
God bless Nigeria
God bless Yoruba land
God bless Igbo land
God bless Arewa land

Thunder scatter Tinubu and his urchins!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 04, 2023
INTEGRITYA1:
I wish I have someone
Who can help; with my dream ................

Sky Bank, always there; saying Yes to your needs.

We missed Sky Bank of then.
Their adverts are top notch. One of the best in Nigeria. However, shey CBN or FG wan buy Polaris ni?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by seeyounow: 10:27pm On Jan 04, 2023
shocked shocked shocked student loan ... should be introduced

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by BettingScam: 10:28pm On Jan 04, 2023
Imagine begging me to give you money and I asked you to send account number and you send polar bear Polaris bank. I will just tell you DEY PLAY.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by CartelKenneth: 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2023
Useless bank

1 Like

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by indigenous234(f): 10:32pm On Jan 04, 2023
This is a tale of six and half a dozen.... Finally, only 50 Billion payment was made

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Juniorangel(m): 10:33pm On Jan 04, 2023
Please Nairaland beware of this scammer with this number

+2347042392415
and account details

Williams James
Access bank
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by mankan2k7(m): 10:35pm On Jan 04, 2023
They should sell it or delete the bank so that those of us who borrow from the bank can be pardon.
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by tolumizzy(m): 10:36pm On Jan 04, 2023
How can we sell this nation b4 election pls?....our debt is now over 77 Trillion.....olopa mako everybody

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by Trapnews: 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2023
90FullyBack:
God bless Nigeria
God bless Yoruba land
God bless Igbo land
God bless Arewa land

Thunder scatter Tinubu and his urchins!
grin
Do not wish for Thunder.
Re: Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight by ImoleNaija: 10:41pm On Jan 04, 2023
The bank sef

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Banks To Take Over Etisalat Nigeria Over N541.8 Billion Debt / Gtb To Close All Their Branches At 1pm Due To Fuel Scarcity / Abuja Chinese Supermarket Owner Appears Before FCCPC, Store Reopened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.