Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner (52046 Views)

CBN Announces Price Verification System Portal (PVS) / CBN announces unification of FX windows, stops Naira4Dollar scheme / Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by dre11(m): 9:22pm On Oct 20, 2022
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced the completion of the sale of Polaris Bank. Osita Nwanisobi, CBN’s Director, Corporate Communications, disclosed this...

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced the completion of the sale of Polaris Bank.

Osita Nwanisobi, CBN’s Director, Corporate Communications, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

Nwanisobi announced that the new core investor in the bank is Strategic Capital Investment Limited, disclosing that the deal was sealed with SCIL by the CBN and Asset Management Company of Nigeria (AMCON).

“Polaris has been operating as a bridge bank since 2018 when the Central Bank of Nigeria intervened to revoke the licence of the former Skye Bank Plc and established Polaris Bank to assume its assets and certain liabilities. As part of the CBN intervention, consideration bonds with a face value of N898 billion (future value of N1.305 trillion) was injected into the bridge bank through AMCON, to be repaid over a 25-year period. These actions were taken to prevent the imminent collapse of the bank, enable its stabilisation and recovery, protect depositors’ fund, prevent job losses and preserve systemic financial stability.”

“SCIL has paid an upfront consideration of N50 billion to acquire 100% of the equity of Polaris Bank and has accepted the terms of the agreement which include the full repayment of the sum of N1.305 trillion, being the consideration bonds injected. The CBN thus received an immediate return for the value it has created in Polaris Bank during the stabilisation period, as well as ensuring that all funds originally provided to support the intervention are recovered.

“The sale was coordinated by a Divestment Committee comprising representatives of the CBN and AMCON, and advised by legal and financial consultants. The Committee conducted a sale process by ‘private treaty’, as provided in Section 34(5) of the AMCON Act to avoid negative speculations, retain value and preserve financial system stability. In the process, parties who had formally expressed an interest in acquiring Polaris Bank, subsequent to the CBN intervention in 2018, were invited to submit financial and technical proposals. Invitations to submit proposals were sent to 25 pre-qualified interested parties, out of which three (3) parties eventually submitted final purchase proposals following technical evaluation. All submissions were subject to a rigorous transaction process from which SCIL emerged as the preferred bidder having presented the most comprehensive technical/financial purchase proposal as well as the highest rated growth plans for Polaris Bank.”

Commenting on the transaction, the Governor of the CBN, Godwin Emefiele, said: “This sale marks the completion of a landmark intervention in a strategic institution in the Nigerian banking sector by the CBN and AMCON.

“We commend the outgoing board and management for their vital role since the bridge bank was established; in stabilising the Bank’s operations, its balance sheet and implementing strong governance structures to address the issues that led to the intervention.

“This process has provided the CBN with an unprecedented opportunity to recover its intervention funds in full and promote financial stability and inclusive growth.

“We wish SCIL well as they implement growth plans to build the bank from the strong foundations that have been established.”

https://dailytrust.com/cbn-announces-sale-of-polaris-bank-unveils-new-owner

3 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Jennylove21(f): 9:22pm On Oct 20, 2022
Thanks for the info

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Teache(m): 9:23pm On Oct 20, 2022
You don't mean it

1 Like

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by kettykin: 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2022
I guess it will be sold as scrap

23 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by seunmsg(m): 9:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
“SCIL has paid an upfront consideration of N50 billion to acquire 100% of the equity of Polaris Bank and has accepted the terms of the agreement which include the full repayment of the sum of N1.305 trillion, being the consideration bonds injected.

Who are the owners of SCIL? How long would it take SCIL to repay the N1.305 trillion injected into the bank?

In all of these, I pity the small small shareholders of the old Skye Bank. All their investments has been completely wiped out with this 100% transfer of ownership to SCIL. If you’re not among the big shareholders that can appoint directors to the board of the bank, don’t waste your money buying the shares of a bank. When shit like this happens, you’re going to lose every single kobo you invested in the bank.

134 Likes 11 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by gaby(m): 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
Emefiele don use corner betting buy bank.

If this clueless thief and the crackhead Attorney general no go jail after this administration, then Nigeria's case will be deemed truly irredeemable.

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Antyislam: 9:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
So the money that Tinubu stole tru bullon van have been used to acheive this ehn!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by inoki247: 9:32pm On Oct 20, 2022
lol Yeye bank na so so debit dem dey debit the 2k wey I leave for the account since January...

Mak dm sha no sell my 2k join...

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Penguin2: 9:35pm On Oct 20, 2022
seunmsg:
Who are the owners of SCIL?

Same question I wanna ask…

Shey na ghosts get SCIL?

Why was no mention made of its CEO or Chairman or even representative?

Emefiele is just there doing aboki bidding.

Very foolish man.

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by culf: 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2022
nice one, money recovered but hope these scil guys are not politicians or people fronting for CBN Officials

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by STARGREEN(m): 9:37pm On Oct 20, 2022
No cause for alarm.

Depositors funds are safe,

Only internal management change.

Sometimes when one is weak, you need a stranger hand to pull you up.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by blackboy(m): 9:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
Find out you will see na part of the mopping up exercise towards 2023. How was this transparent or followed due process. Even Abacha was a saint compared to this APC government. Anyone still supporting this APC is either ....

33 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by chris4gold(m): 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2022
Skye to Polaris, now to... grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by LegendHero(m): 10:29pm On Oct 20, 2022
seunmsg:

Who are the owners of SCIL? How long would it take SCIL to repay the N1.305 trillion injected into the bank?

In all of these, I pity the small small shareholders of the old Skye Bank. All their investments has been completely wiped out with this 100% transfer of ownership to SCIL. If you’re not among the big shareholders that can appoint directors to the board of the bank, don’t waste your money buying the shares of a bank. When shit like this happens, you’re going to lose every single kobo you invested in the bank.

The owner will be foreigners I guess.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by seunmsg(m): 10:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
LegendHero:

The owner will be foreigners I guess.

I can bet they are Nigerians.

31 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by tempest95(m): 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
The is a welcome development and a timely one at that.

If this sale hadn't happened it would have caused a lot of mishaps which will have brought more negativity to the already negative economy.

I just hope that the new management has what it takes to move the bank forward so as to reclaim it's lost position and even moving forward.

1 Like

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Bontafa: 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
gaby:

If this clueless thief and the crackhead Attorney general no go jail after this administration, then Nigeria's case will be deemed truly irredeemable.

You really understand these thieves.

I swear this administration will never happen to Nigeria again na sure banker.

APC is a curse

25 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Bontafa: 10:50pm On Oct 20, 2022
seunmsg:

Ha

Even you too .

At least your brain normal for this conversation

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Aremson14(m): 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2022
omoh 50 billi no be small money. Who are d owners abeg

3 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by LegendHero(m): 11:03pm On Oct 20, 2022
seunmsg:

That’s possible too.

We will soon know them.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Enimin: 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
chris4gold:
Skye to Polaris, now to... grin

Government Magic
Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Treasure17(m): 12:41am On Oct 21, 2022
I'm interested o. At least I have one 2k I'm not using.
Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by swaggerjack: 1:14am On Oct 21, 2022
gaby:

3 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 21, 2022
undecided
Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by franchasofficia: 4:46am On Oct 21, 2022
angry
Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by ecolime(m): 4:53am On Oct 21, 2022
culf:
nice one, money recovered but hope these scil guys are not politicians or people fronting for CBN Officials
My thought exactly

10 Likes

Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by OgaDeyVex: 5:14am On Oct 21, 2022
No Be Small Thing ooooo
Re: CBN Announces Sale Of Polaris Bank, Unveils New Owner by nazicartel(m): 5:28am On Oct 21, 2022
The owner is a Northener. Now that they have gotten the bank. What about those Muslims that withdrew their money because they didn't allow their workers to pray on a Friday sad

14 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Possible To Reverse Money Sent To Wrong Account Number? / Jeff Bezos Becomes Richest Man In History With A Net Worth Of $211billion ( Pix) / Banks Stop Use Of ATM Cards Abroad #Emefieleconomics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.