Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

[Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? (3231 Views)

Why You Should Start Programming With C. / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / What Do I Need In My Computer To Start Programming In Php,java,c++ Sql (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by igboboy3(m): 6:13pm On Sep 03, 2011
Hello. I am a fifth year med student. I have always had a passion for computers and software but due to academic constraints, I wasn't able to study comp sci in the university. Nevertheless, I still want to make software apps(e.g my own model of 2go,skype). I have access to a personal computer and want to start. My questions are

1. What makes one a good programmer: The number of software books read OR the amount of time spent programming
2. When I boot my system, Which software helps me to actually start writing and executing code?
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by lukitty(f): 6:26pm On Sep 03, 2011
it depends on ur area of interest. there are various programming languages out there buh will advise u start with an up-to-date software application. u might nid to av some background knowledge thou. just make sure u get books that are not out dated, latest 3-5 years max, Good luck, grin

well since ur a med doctor maybe u cud help out angry, aving issues reading, wats d way out since u guys practically live ur lives reading!! and i seriously envy that, sad
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by igboboy3(m): 6:40pm On Sep 03, 2011
well since your a med doctor maybe u cud help out Angry, having issues reading, wats d way out since u guys practically live your lives reading!! [/b]and i seriously envy that, Sad
What gave you that impression?

[b]buh will advise u start with an up-to-date software application.

Where do I get such an application? Any examples?
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by lukitty(f): 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2011
wot do u min wot gave me the impression, is it not the truth u guys are dealing with human beings, delicate creatures, so u obviously av to know da ryt stuff to be in da game, nehus theres loadsa them o, u av vb.net, java, c sharp, or if ur thinking web related ish, u av CMS(joomla, drupal, blah blah), use php as middle ware, mysql, just google them jare, sure ull get more on these things, u still avnt answered moi
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Mobinga: 5:26am On Sep 11, 2011
Stick to med school, we don't want anyone playing with human lives. Plus you're in your 5th year, you should focus more on finishing med school than programming.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Fayimora(m): 1:33pm On Sep 11, 2011
Mobinga:

Stick to med school, we don't want anyone playing with human lives. Plus you're in your 5th year, you should focus more on finishing med school than programming.

+100000
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by kodewrita(m): 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2011
Fayimora: Moderator of Programming forum and party to demotivation of budding programmers

@Igbo-boy
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express to download the visual c# express
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default to get tutorial videos on microsoft's visual studio.

as a fifth-year medical student, you are clearly studious enough. Just carry over that studiousness and attention to detail.

visit sites like www.codinghorror.com to learn best practices and ask questions on www.stackoverflow.com anytime you get stuck in your coding (do some work before you go there, dont expect them to solve it if you havent at least worked on it).

Last Note: Master one programming language before you start jumping around.

cheers.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by netghost: 8:14pm On Sep 11, 2011
Mobinga:

[size=18pt]THREAD CLOSED [/size]
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Fayimora(m): 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2011
kodewrita:

Fayimora: Moderator of Programming forum and party to demotivation of budding programmers

Really?? I would like to see some proof to backup such a statement about me! Actually, you did something wrong by sending the OP to a specific platform. You should have given him resources that would help him understand what it means to program and what it takes to be a programmer.

By the way, what exactly is a medical student doing here? I mean 5th yr!! c'mmon like Mobinga said, we wouldn't want you to start messing around with human lives. face what you are doing. . . . <--- to the OP
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Mobinga: 12:12am On Sep 12, 2011
kodewrita:

@Igbo-boy
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express to download the visual c# express
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default to get tutorial videos on microsoft's visual studio.

as a fifth-year medical student, you are clearly studious enough. Just carry over that studiousness and attention to detail.

visit sites like www.codinghorror.com to learn best practices and ask questions on www.stackoverflow.com anytime you get stuck in your coding (do some work before you go there, dont expect them to solve it if you havent at least worked on it).

Last Note: Master one programming language before you start jumping around.

cheers.

This is a very bad advise. He's in his 5th year in medical school he has come so far, programming is very tasking and time consuming.
My post may be demotivating, but its the truth.

Medicine is not a cut and nail course, it requires your total devotion, anything that could reduce the time you have for your books in medicine also increases your chances of failing. When he finishes his studies and still wants to go into programming, I'd advise him to, but for now, NO, it's a very terrible move.

Cmon son, 5th year? angry There's no fucking possible way you can mix the two, unless you want to overwork yourself, get low grades and fail out.

Oh year, and my elder sis is a 6th year medical student, so I know the stress involved! angry
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by gameaddict(m): 1:26am On Sep 12, 2011
@Mobinga: He says he's always wanted to make software,  He's not asking about the workload,  He's asking about the tools to do what he wants.

We can't continue with the stick with the popular formula mentality. It doesn't matter when he starts and what happens. As long as he's doing what he wants and hopefully fulfills his dreams, everything will be fine. Happy Citizen, Happy Nation,

@igbo-boy ( from your name, i hope u're not one of those ethnic/tribal oriented individuals): Here are some tips and links to helpful resources:

Definition: Programming is simply the art of constructing/writing machine readable chunks of data using various tools based on clearly defined syntax.

Meaning: To program, you need to learn/use a programming language(the syntax). there are many languages to choose from and making a decision for you is not a wise idea. My suggestion is that you search for c++, java, c#, python, php and javascript as these are popular and you can easily find tools and helpful lessons/tips. Study the easy/hello world lessons from them, pick a small project and try to achieve it with whichever language you fancy. Early lessons will teach you about the necessary tools and PC setup.

links [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_by_category ]

What To Do: From the earlier definition and a look at the meaning of data, you'll realize that everything is actually meaningless. It is what we do with it that gives meaning and appreciation to data or in the event of things, information. What I'm saying is go kick some a*s by thinking of some cool things and implementing them.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, I'm guessing you're motivated by communication and software of the kind. I'll suggest  that you take things slow and try to learn about the basic concepts underlying computer communications first. When you get the concepts to some extent, try simulating/faking them as you learn to program then slowly delve into the communications aspect of your programming language of choice.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Mobinga: 2:27am On Sep 12, 2011
gameaddict:

@Mobinga: He says he's always wanted to make software,  He's not asking about the workload,  He's asking about the tools to do what he wants.

We can't continue with the stick with the popular formula mentality. It doesn't matter when he starts and what happens. As long as he's doing what he wants and hopefully fulfills his dreams, everything will be fine. Happy Citizen, Happy Nation,

On a contrary, from his post he wants to go into it, and not just the tools, its good he sees advice, I'm not trying to be a pessimist or anything, rather than answering his questions point blank I am modding them to fit his current environment.

I am not on any 'stick with the popular formula' mentality, he may need guidance and that's what I have given to him. Plus I am not trying to forestall him from fulfilling his dreams (how can I possibly do that), which I hope he eventually does. He just wrote that he is a 5th year medical student, its not a wise decision for him to do what he wants to do now.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Fayimora(m): 5:11am On Sep 12, 2011
I still agree with Mobinga  angry Thers no reason for such a person to start programming EXCEPT if he is already dropping medicine or something of tht nature. . . . Developing software isint something you just do with your mouth, you have to go through a LOT before even developing the first software!

Anyways @OP, my advice to you is "Forget about programming and face your work!". If you are really interested you can start looking at web designs instead IN YOUR SPARE TIME! seriously if you dont want to fail, forget about programming for now! Its never to late to learn programming so face what you are into for now. . . .
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by gameaddict(m): 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2011
Well, you guys are right.  The decision is still his to make anyways and pointing out important issues him wasn't bad.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by okeyxyz(m): 11:58pm On Sep 12, 2011
@mobinga & fayimora,
i don't think it's in anybody's position to state to igbo-boy categorically that he can't possibly & successfully combine medicine & programming. besides, you guys are not medical doctors or students and yet here you are advising on the rigours of medicine, surely i can not be the only one who thinks this is funny?

surely it must be a huge challenge to do programming alone, much more combining with other disciplines takes extra-ordinary talents, but some people just happen to be extra gifted and who knows, igbo-boy might just be one of such people, thus he dares to try. for me, learning programming was hell, maybe b'cos i chose to teach myself, or i chose to learn c++ first(i'm never gonna advice even my enemy to learn c++ first), or i wasn't smart enough, or that i didn't know other programmers at the time and therefore non to inspire\encourage\advice me, could be any of so many frustrating factors, but the only reason i'm still sticking with it is passion. now combine passion with the right brain capacity & igbo-boy might just the next big thing since "king solomon".  cheesy
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Fayimora(m): 3:21am On Sep 13, 2011
[size=15pt]You guys just don't get it do you? #SadMuch This is not a matter of who can combine what. The truth has to be said! Do i have to be in Med school to know whats up? I have friends and I see what they go through, I dont even think a natural programmer has to go through half of it!

Initially, I wanted to give him a few links to articles and other resources so he just gets the overview before even picking a language! I then thought about it properly, this is a 5th year med student! WTF does he want to program at this stage. If am not mistaken, he has gotten into a part of his carrer where he needs total focus, else he would just waste a good number of precious years of his life.

Before you guys start saying all these stuff about passion or whatever, let him know the truth and then if he still wants to go into it, then you can flood him with resources. @OP dnt pay attention to what am about to say and dont take it personal. Lets say he starts programming, if he ends up failing his med sch exams or whatever, how many of you here would be able to stand up and say "I warned you!".

I know economists that program, thats different. I know more than a handful of social sciences and art students that develop. thats definitely nothing new BUT a 5th yr med student?? Nopes.

@OP
  I am not saying you shouldnt do what you want to do but like i have said, its not really a good idea EXCEPT you are not interested in med sch or planning to drop out or watever, just anything in that angle. Better still, if am not mistaken you have just a yr left or maybe 2, dunno how it works over there. You can still learn to program afterwards. It is never too late!!![/size]
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Ghenghis(m): 10:23am On Sep 13, 2011
@igbo-boy
All the negatives and positives you've heard are because of the seriousness of the task you plan to undertake.

I've sometimes wished i had more insight into medical engineering. You are uniquely placed to solve problems in the are of medicine through computing. Don't drop one for the other, both areas would serve you very well.

I'll advise you drop all the web/scripting/frameworks etc. Concentrate rather on programming, there is a mindset(way of thinking) required for expressing your wishes digitally. Attain this mindset first, you can pick up on web technologies or frameworks later (or when necessary).

My personal favorite is the java programming language, but others would do also : C#, VB.NET, python, Scheme, Lisp etc.

cheesy
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by 2010a: 12:34am On Sep 14, 2011
igbo-boy, don't take what fayimora is telling you to heart but he is talking to you with your interests in mind. i don't know which country/institution u r recieving ur training but guy, as a doctor who trained & grad 4rm 9ja, focus on dat horrible pedo & scale it first; b4 u know wat is happening, u ll b sworn in as a doc and during ur housejob & service, u ll have xs tym to code.

if u were in 4th yr in nigeria, i'ld hv bn d 1 admonishing fayimora but guy this is almighty PEDO. As we say in the east, PEDO na a-pido mmadu and it has sent a lot of brilliant guys packing from med sch.

mind u, programming is far more complex than differentiation wrt 1st principle & it is far more addictive than dy/dx. it is not a "go, come" type of thing.

enuff said. if u re a genuis with xlnt tym mgt, u may wing it but the chances r slim. Godspeed.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Mobinga: 2:47am On Sep 14, 2011
okeyxyz:

@mobinga & fayimora,
i don't think it's in anybody's position to state to igbo-boy categorically that he can't possibly & successfully combine medicine & programming. besides, you guys are not medical doctors or students and yet here you are advising on the rigours of medicine, surely i can not be the only one who thinks this is funny?

surely it must be a huge challenge to do programming alone, much more combining with other disciplines takes extra-ordinary talents, but some people just happen to be extra gifted and who knows, igbo-boy might just be one of such people, thus he dares to try. for me, learning programming was hell, maybe b'cos i chose to teach myself, or i chose to learn c++ first(i'm never gonna advice even my enemy to learn c++ first), or i wasn't smart enough, or that i didn't know other programmers at the time and therefore non to inspire\encourage\advice me, could be any of so many frustrating factors, but the only reason i'm still sticking with it is passion. now combine passion with the right brain capacity & igbo-boy might just the next big thing since "king solomon".  cheesy

I'm just starting school, besides my 2 sisters are in medical school.
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by igboboy3(m): 12:52am On Oct 15, 2012
I'm so sorry I've been away. The glut of schoolwork is asphyxiating(especially Paediatrics). I understand the fears of fayimora & mobinga; but this stuff is my passion. I may probably have to wait for my graduation before doing programming full-time. I just wanted advice on how to get the engine running. I would have studied Comp Engineering but I didn't do Further Maths in my SSCE. The passion has always been there. Anywaiz, thanks a million for all the constructive arguments and counter-arguments. I've learnt a lot. God bless

1 Like

Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 24, 2012
Dear friend,
Why don't you burn more time on med's than jumping into programming because both as a wide range to cover...Becoming a good and competent programmer those not require reading of books like med's but you have to do some readings lolz...Its requires you been able to think deeply by resolving problems and also integrating solutions.

Hope my message is clear friend
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
i can sell about 500ebooks in all type of programming language to you for just 5500 call or mail 07032056416 or sunmonuolawale@gmail.com
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by vicsdon: 10:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
Hello bro; I am victor by name a computer expert and a final yr student of olabisi onabanjo university. I deal with d business of selling ebooks online, I am sure I will be of help to u. My books are 100% effective and I can assure u that with any of these books, ur success in any challenge is guaranteed. But I only like pple who are serious minded and know what they want but I also want to let u know that good things like this dont come free or too cheap. I have ebooks on the following programming languages; java, C, C++, and networking. Each of these ebooks cost 2000 naira only and any one u buy comes with a bonus free ebook on hacking. If u are interested, u may contact me on 08130946474 via text by sending ur correct e-mail address and ur name with your order. I will send u an e-mail containing an attached folder of ur order after a confirmation that ur payment have been made. If u are interested, just text me or send an email to vicsdonnely@yahoo.com
Re: [Beginner Assistance] How Do I Start Programming? by Timblaze(m): 11:54pm On Jun 19, 2021
Pls I want to learn programming or graphic design
Location Jos

(1) (Reply)

Let's Build Your Mobile App Android/ios, Reliable, Affordable And Trusted / Correct This Registration Form Code Please!!! / Data Science Or Data Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.