Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,577 members, 7,823,509 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos (17207 Views)

Poll: can GEJ get a second term in 2015?

yes: 0% (0 votes)
no: 50% (1 vote)
maybe: 0% (0 votes)
don't care either way: 50% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

My Horrible Experience At Murtala Mohammed Airport::::::(see pictures):::::::::: / Expanded Terminal Opens At Murtala Muhammad Airport Lagos(photos) / Passengers Remove Their Clothes At Unbearably Hot Murtala Muhammad Airport Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by Ronaldo200(m): 4:13am On Sep 17, 2011
I think a little bit of respect both ways is needed. I don't think these people make much from their basic salary, of course it's their choice to work there. But many of us will happily and gladly give a bar tender a 10 per cent tip just gor giving us a drink in a bar with no additional extra service. I argued this with four of my Nigerian friends and said that I refuse to, that these people get their basic salary, why is it a given that I must tip them just for doing their job, but they all insisted that it's out of custom and it's cos they are so lowly paid.
I've been through MMA and Abuja severally over the last couple years and at times I have given a few Haifa here or there. Why? Cos my last remaining 1k perhaps means 10x more to a uniformed staff over there than it does to me over here. Nothing wrong with it if you ask me. But if it's being solicited aggressively I can understand how that may make one feel uncomfortable.
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by marcmuzman: 4:41am On Sep 17, 2011
@Ronaldo200 Did you see the custom officers check for the International Certificate of Vaccination from travelers from the US ?
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by Ronaldo200(m): 5:29am On Sep 17, 2011
Insert Quote
@Ronaldo200 Did you see the custom officers check for the International Certificate of Vaccination from travelers from the US ?

@marcmuzman no I did not. I arrived both times via europe. I know the one which you are talking about though, my sister had to have it cos she doesn't have a Nigerian passport (invalid), but if you are using your naija passport it's not even needed. And even if you are using overseas passport I don't think they are really particular about checking it, it's just protocol as part of the obtaining the visa
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by marcmuzman: 6:14am On Sep 17, 2011
Ronaldo200:

Insert Quote

@marcmuzman no I did not. I arrived both times via europe. I know the one which you are talking about though, my sister had to have it cos she doesn't have a Nigerian passport (invalid), but if you are using your naija passport it's not even needed. And even if you are using overseas passport I don't think they are really particular about checking it, it's just protocol as part of the obtaining the visa

Thanks Alot I am still going to get it to be safe I am coming through europe too but I rather have it than to be stuck at the airport . I have a US passport undecided
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by DisGuy: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2011
Ronaldo200:

I think a little bit of respect both ways is needed. I don't think these people make much from their basic salary, of course it's their choice to work there. But many of us will happily and gladly give a bar tender a 10 per cent tip just gor giving us a drink in a bar with no additional extra service. I argued this with four of my Nigerian friends and said that I refuse to, that these people get their basic salary, why is it a given that I must tip them just for doing their job, but they all insisted that it's out of custom and it's cos they are so lowly paid.
I've been through MMA and Abuja severally over the last couple years and at times I have given a few Haifa here or there. Why? Cos my last remaining 1k perhaps means 10x more to a uniformed staff over there than it does to me over here. Nothing wrong with it if you ask me. But if it's being solicited aggressively I can understand how that may make one feel uncomfortable.

Do you think the Customs and immigration officers from the other end US/UK/Canada make fantastic money from their basic salary? Have you ever offered them 'tips'?
bar tenders don't ask for tips by the way, these guys are just criminals using their position/uniform to make life uncomfortable for travellers and embarrass the country
Respect shouldnt have anything to do with cash, following orders and staying in a straight queue making their job easier is respect, demanding money/delaying travellers is not!

Anyone trying to make an excuse for them is only promoting their criminal behaviour!
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by igbogolo: 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2011
I had a different experience at departure two years ago. I had a lot of stuff in my bag ( fish, dried ogi, okra, yams, etc). The man asked me what i had in my bag, I told him i had ogi and beans. he asked me if i was a student i said yes. he just closed my bag and waved me on. I was wearing running shoes ( old one for that matter), sports trousers and a tee shirt. it was at the scanners ( departure) that i noticed theft on four legs.

One man placed his wallet and iphone in the tray but was just too slow to follow his stuff through the scanner to the other end. when he was done pulling his shoes and belt, his bag, wallet and iphone had passed the scanner and someone picked it. when he was done he only saw his bag. no wallet, no iphone. I was looking at him. he walked back to the other side of the scanner and looked and turned around and started asking everybody weather they saw his wallet and iphone. no body looked at him. he then wanted to cross the scanner to the other side and he was stopped and told to remove his shoes and belt again and place it in the tray to be scanned. he then spent another 5 minutes waiting to be passed through the scanner. by the time i got to the same point he was sweating and arguing with the immigration woman that sat next to the scanner. the woman was fair from bleaching cream with long red nails and red lipstick and was eating gum and making so much noise with it. she completely ignored him and continued as if he was not even talking to her.

By the time i was ready to put my stuff, i was as agile as a hawk. immediately i put my stuff through the scanner i had already moved to be searched. I kept my eyes on my tray until they were done patting me and grabbed my items. imagine taking someones stuff in a european airport when you dont even know what the person is carrying, hmmm, na wa oh.
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 17, 2011
^^ grin u are good in narrating stories ,
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by Allybert: 7:23pm On Mar 13, 2013
Is this thread dead? The last post was dated september 2011..... Please people need your experience with the uniformed men at the MMIA, Lagos.
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by snowbuster: 3:58am On Mar 14, 2013
Its quiet shameful that nigeria is getting worse everyday by day . i see no reason why dose people always give money to this custom officers cos i believe if people start to let them know what they are asking for is not right they wont see it as their daily activities. even if you give them 100N they will return it and let you know its too small what service do they offer you to demand for money in return. i remember one was asking me for money after he check my bags and i ask him what did he sell for me to demand for money . i told him if the money they pay him from the job is not ok is better he look for better pay job instead of the shameful act the guy just open his mouth dey look me . and one thing i still don't understand is the buggy you use to take ur luggage to the car now you have to pay for it i really don't know why all this stuff going on and no one is ready to give you a good reason why you ask them why do we need to pay for it now when its suppose to me free to use by all travelers

2 Likes

Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by tope3x(m): 10:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
Nigeria immigration officers. ..I salute ooo. ..I throway yansh for una
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by tony9k: 6:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
Some people are of the opinion that the Customs Officers at the Int'l airport are 'not well paid and the money I give them would probably mean a lot to them so I can understand'. I hope such people are premier league footballers or other high earning sports people or entertainers. This is because a traveller who earns well but still pays mortgage abroad should not compare himself to the average customs officer who has about 4 cash-down houses in choice areas of Nigeria and makes a tidy sum tax-free everyday at the airport. They are far more comfortable than 90% of the people they extort money from.
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by exxy(m): 3:10am On Oct 17, 2014
jerryben12:
Those custom officers are sickened with bribery. I couldn't hold my patience than to let hell loose in July. I got so angry that I had to cause a scene at their table stand. These custom officers demanded N2000 from me after screening my luggage. When I asked them why I had to pay them N2000, they ignored me. I insisted they tell me why I had to pay. The most senior non uniformed officer said that the N2000 was for inspection. I asked him if he was not on salary generated from airport taxes. I grabbed my luggage and sent it to the airline for check-in.

Fellow travellers, please my humble message come advise to all regular travelllers is to help caution these custom officers. Please they will not hurt you. Do not give them any money again. They look intimidating but talk loudly so that other people there hear you and be your witness. They get intimidated when they know that other passengers are hearing you talk to them.

Next time, I am on that route, I will make sure I have my pocket pen camera to capture their activities.

thanks bro
Re: Customs Checks At Murtala Muhammad Airport, Lagos by unipol(m): 9:06pm On Oct 18, 2014
now we can create a facebook page saying stop extortion and bribery at MM airport and we should keep on posting and sharing till it gets to the president for necessary reactions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Coaster Bus Catches Fire In Onitsha / Help! He Wants To Decline A Lecturing Job Offer And Travel To UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.