Stats: 3,151,189 members, 7,811,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) (36519 Views)

Alhikmah University Slashes School Fees Pics Attached / Lady Makes Canadian University Drop Its IELTS Requirement For Nigerian Applicant / Beautiful Lady Who Sells Groundnut To Raise Money For Her School Fees (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Islie: 3:12pm On Jan 07, 2023
A Canadian college, George Brown, has withheld the part-payment of the school fees paid by a Nigerian applicant, Miss Precious Ademokun, who got denied a study visa by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Ademokun who spoke with the CBC News said she had received her admission into a programme at the George Brown College in April and paid CAD8,867 for the first semester fees out of the total of CAD16,872 for both semesters, before applying for a student visa on July 4, adding, “I was told the visa application process could take six to eight weeks.”

The 19-year-old lady maintained that after months of waiting in Nigeria for her study permit application to be processed, she was denied a student visa — and the Toronto college she applied to won’t refund her money.

“I’m very disappointed and sad,” Ademokun told CBC Toronto.

A copy of letter from George Brown College denying Ademokun a refund

When Ademokun contacted the college on September 19, with no decision on her visa by the IRCC, she missed the school’s refund deadline.

On October 6, she received a decision from the IRCC that her study permit had been denied.

Despite that, the Canadian college told Ademokun it could not refund any of the fees she paid to the school.

She appealed, but the school denied her request for withdrawal and refund in a letter sent to her on December 15.

Croatia win knocks Canada out of World Cup
In a letter sent to Ademokun, George Brown College denied her appeal to withdraw her first tuition deposit of $8,962 because she didn’t meet up with the deadline date.

Observing the institution’s website to validate their claim, it wrote, “In George Brown College, international students who are refused a study permit are eligible for a refund or deferral, if it is requested within their deadline date.”

When the CBC Toronto contacted the school’s registrar, Janene Christiansen, she said in a statement that it values its international students and understands “it is always a huge disappointment when study permits are denied.”

Christiansen added, “The school is ‘following up directly’ with Ademokun to ‘find a resolution.’”

“Now that new information is coming to light, we are following up directly with the individual to gather more details and find a resolution.”

Christiansen also said George Brown College’s international withdrawal and refund policy is aligned with other colleges in Ontario and complies with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities directives, as well as IRCC regulations.

However, she says, the school is reviewing its internal processes and policies to “ensure an improved, clear and transparent process for all prospective students.

When The PUNCH observed Canada’s website on study permits for international students, it reads that it currently takes up to nine weeks to process.

https://punchng.com/visa-denial-canadian-college-withholds-nigerian-applicants-fees/?amp

Pic: Miss Precious Christianah Ademokun

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by dawnomike(m): 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2023
It is the school's policy... But I believe if she keeps on pressing, she will be refunded.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by NwaNimo1(m): 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
Processing fee......+ dem go add some small stamp duty.

[img]https://giffiles./216/216404.gif[/img]

.......they've learnt the Nigerian way!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Killerbag36: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
Mk we scam uka small

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by halaqasa: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
E be many things walahi
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by SoftP(m): 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
I’m sure she read the school’s policy before applying’
If her complaints are genuine, let her contact an international lawyer to handle the case.

Best of luck

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by danowena: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
Interesting
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by KingsJohnson(m): 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
M
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by KAjAsG: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2023
Is it not possible to get the visa before paying any fee ?

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by bigdammyj: 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2023
Noted.
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by FORHII: 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2023
Ha!
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by flexyrule(m): 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2023
Policy Na policy.

And an agreement is an agreement.

When I was working with one of Nigeria's commercial banks. A customer walked in and requested that we process school fees payment for her Msc studies abroad.

My team initiated the request, but the school couldn't proceed with her on boarding as the documents she provided were illegible, and so they requested that she provide a clearer copy.

Meanwhile, her account has been debited and the school's account credited.

Three weeks after the school made the request for a clearer copy, the young lady was yet to get the documents from her alma mater and the school (abroad) had to return her deposit.

Omoh. From 1.4m that we transmitted, Na only 900k or so dem send oooooo.

The day the money returned, I knew that anytime madam would return for update, yawa must gassssss.

Naso I apply for 2 weeks leave ooooooo.

No be me go do exchange rate differential explanation give warri woman and her daughter.

242 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by bewla(m): 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2023
Another banga
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Opportuneke(m): 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
They must have their genuine reason not just that visa rejection.
There are things not known to us.

Fear those white guys, the can dig deep into someone’s life not even now that Foreigners have been banned from buying personal houses in Canada.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by opalu: 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
Oyibo will defraud Africans and call it Policy.
Truth be told, fear foreigners when it comes to "ethical" frauds. cheesy

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Eriokanmi: 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
Terrible. If its their policy, she can only press harder for her voice to be heard. Who knows...the embassy couid have a rethink just like that of the CHEW student

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by jimetagambo: 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
She will get her money back. Patience is all it takes.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Splitmind: 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
Good, now she will learn that japa is a scam and we should patronise local universities.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Roger3D(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2023
Japa plans gone wrong

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by mortunde(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2023
Nigerians and Japa are 5&6

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Thekaghan: 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2023
She should contact the MP of the district where the school is located. She will be helped I did something similar and I got a reply

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by BAZ001: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2023
Naija you read clearly no refund yet you still want refund. You think say na Ibo shop wey u go dey drag money or pick another item

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Racoon(m): 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2023
India deporting Nigerians.Now Canada doing their own. Nigerian government adding its own.Nigerians are just beleaguered from all sides.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Upton: 5:36pm On Jan 07, 2023
Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Creditalerts: 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2023
JAKPA COME DEY GET K-LEG cry

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by abhosts(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2023
All Reputable Universities would refund your tuition payment if your visa is denied. That is why Nigerians should avoid mushroom Universities. They are usually owned by shady individuals that just want to make money.

31 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by shopwiser: 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2023
Your mates are moving to UK.. you carried your big head and applied to Canada knowing their visa process na die..Canada and USA stresses prospective students in terms of Visa approval.. that 8,000 Canada dollars would have paid her part fees for a UK school as long as she gets a cheap school.

Canada and USA might be sweet in the long run over UK.. but we no like stress at all that's why every student picks UK over USA and Canada....very easy to enter as long as you have your money.

My friend is persuading me that let's apply to Canada.. I asked him how much he said 18,000 Canadian dollars a year and the course is two years (36,000 Canadian dollars) and it's not even a university..its polytechnic for God'sake.. plus embassy fit get choko for head in terms of Visa application.. I told him thanks I am only interested in UK..

Even some Uk universities in their policy says non refundable but refundable only when you are being denied visa.. so this Canadian school is really shady.. I don't care about their policy.. why take her money still when she was denied visa

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Yemlizzy(f): 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2023
This is quite sad, I guess she didn’t understand the school’s refund policy before applying there. Plus no one would apply for a visa and have a negative mindset on it being a denial.

With this news going viral, it’s possible something good comes out of it which I hope and she does another visa reapplication which becomes successful.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Jayboi(m): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2023
She ll be refunded. I'm very sure. It's just that most schools av many applications to tend to but with all evidence glare and the delay caused by the IRCC, She ll get her money back.

Re: Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics) by Wondapaso: 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2023
Stay in Nigeria why do you want to japa

How I Landed A World Scholarship With A 3.8 C.G.P.A / Inside Edo University, Iyamho, Hostels (Photos) / OAU Rated As Best University In Nigeria