Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names (732 Views)

My Mother Wants Us To Stop Bearing Our Father's Name / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / My Ex-Girlfriend Named Her Child All My Names Just Because She Loved Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Mode4: 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2023
My father did something very painful to me today and i want to remove his name from my names. I want to know the legal implications of doing so and what it will cost me. Not like he trained anyone of us. My mom trained us with her meagre resources. I live alone m and i am an adult.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by rickpat(m): 10:06pm On Jan 09, 2023
PLEASE don't,if you have that name on your credentials...it will give you very very serious issues in the future
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Mode4: 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
PLEASE don't,if you have that name on your credentials...it will give you very very serious issues in the future

But i am sick and tired of him and i want to distance myself from him henceforth. Getting his name off will really help me get rid of him and make me forget him completely.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by rickpat(m): 10:12pm On Jan 09, 2023
Mode4:

But i am sick and tired of him and i want to distance myself from him henceforth. Getting his name off will really help me get rid of him and make me forget him completely.
you can be far from.him..but you see changing your name as a man comes with so many issues...trust me you don't want to walk that stressful road
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kasdat5(m): 10:29pm On Jan 09, 2023
Get an affidavit from court first , then news paper publication... Should cost you about 1700

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Jan 09, 2023
Mode4:
My father did something very painful to me today and i want to remove his name from my names. I want to know the legal implications of doing so and what it will cost me. Not like he trained anyone of us. My mom trained us with her meagre resources. I live alone m and i am an adult.
In other countries, things like these are easy to do but I am afraid it is a headache in a place like Nigeria. I guess people are still waiting for someone to make easier the process so they too can take advantage of the same. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by frozen70(f): 1:10am On Jan 10, 2023
Mode4:

When you take his name away from your name, will you drain his gene, DNA or blood away from your life

Will you change your village

Will you form a one man squad kinsmen

Forget about his identity and plan a life that will benefit you and your future children to avoid a generational routine

Take good care of your mum and reward her very well

As for him, just behave as if he doesn't, exist so that you won't act in a manner that he will curse you or bring problems that you too will regret because of your actions on him

After all you don't get to see him every day

Because the way you are reacting, you fit cause more problems for the family because of him

Move on with a better life plans

Time will heal all wounds

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by sisisioge: 2:36am On Jan 10, 2023
If that's what you really want to do, then it's simple.

1. Go to court to swear a change of name affidavit to change from the old to new. They will notarize it there for you and it shall become your change of name cert. Would cost less than 2k.
2. Do a newspaper publication calling all institutions that have issued you certificates and the general public to take note. Pls keep the copy. Cost less than 10k.
3. If you have pending certificates that have not been issued to you, take your affidavit, change of name cert and write a letter to the institution so they could issue the certs for you in your new name. All others certs remain valid. Cost nothing.

Meanwhile, changing your name from his doesn't erase who he is to you. You could simply just block his no and delete it from your contact list. The name isn't his alone, it's for your forefathers, you and generations to come through you. I think that's beautiful. Besides, you would have to start submitting at least 2 additional documents everytime you submit your personal paperwork. Too stressful. But then, you're the one wearing the shoe and have the liberty to choose your struggle. It is well.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by OlawaleBammie: 2:43am On Jan 10, 2023
Mode4:
Remove it no body dey hold u

1 Like

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kobojunkie: 2:52am On Jan 10, 2023
rickpat:
you can be far from.him..but you see changing your name as a man comes with so many issues...trust me you don't want to walk that stressful road
What issues might those be? undecided
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kobojunkie: 3:04am On Jan 10, 2023
Mode4:
If it is what you want, please go ahead and do it, and don't let anyone emotionally guilt you out of doing what you believe is right for your situation. That a man squirted sperm out of his dick to have you does not give him the right to hurt you or hold you hostage for all of your life. undecided
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 5:00am On Jan 10, 2023
Issues like? undecided undecided undecided

rickpat:

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by rickpat(m): 6:58am On Jan 10, 2023
9JAFULLBREED:
Issues like? undecided undecided undecided

you must have a new surname right?.. good,here the issues matching you old documents with your new name in your valid identity card eg if you're migrating for example,your will not have it easy,the first thing they will think is that you have a criminal record that's why you changed your surname... secondly changing your name in your bvn will be war..now at different times you will face different issues cus of conflicting names on credentials and valid ID... even with affidavit and legal documents...just ask about changing name in your bvn or nin.. you would see the trouble...it's not worth it..let him maintain his surname...he may not understand until the issues start coming with Documentation in the future

kobojunkie

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kobojunkie: 7:05am On Jan 10, 2023
rickpat:
you must have a new surname right?.. good,here the issues
■matching you old documents with your new name in your valid identity card eg if you're migrating for example,your will not have it easy,the first thing they will think is that you have a criminal record that's why you changed your surname...
■secondly changing your name in your bvn will be war..
■now at different times you will face different issues cus of conflicting names on credentials and valid ID...
■even with affidavit and legal documents...just ask about changing name in your bvn or nin.. you would see the trouble...it's not worth it..let him maintain his surname...he may not understand until the issues start coming with Documentation in the future
OK... you made it sound like some sort of ancestral nonsense brewing! lipsrsealed

Yes, it is a headache in Nigeria and majorly because no entrepreneurs have stepped in to sufficiently fill the gap there in order to bring ease to those issues you mentioned. I really wonder when Nigerians will start to innovate and solve all these small problems so as to make life easier and better for the average man. A name change shouldn't be a hassle at all given we now have the technology to make all these things a breeze. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by rickpat(m): 7:18am On Jan 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
OK... you made it sound like some sort of ancestral nonsense brewing! lipsrsealed

Yes, it is a headache in Nigeria and majorly because no entrepreneurs have stepped in to sufficiently fill the gap there in order to bring ease to those issues you mentioned. I really wonder when Nigerians will start to innovate and solve all these small problems so as to make life easier and better for the average man. A name change shouldn't be a hassle at all given we now have the technology to make all these things a breeze. undecided
no o... ancestry what?..not at all..I don't reason in that line

in the western world..it's difficult as well for a man...I know a man that changed his surname in Italy...it took him 8years to get the new on his italian passport..he is a nigerian-italian...the had to check his criminal records and watch him for many years,to be sure he is not planning to commit a crime with the old name...for a man change of name is hell..it's only women that have it easy when they change their name due to marriage
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by Kobojunkie: 7:23am On Jan 10, 2023
rickpat:
no o... ancestry what?..not at all..I don't reason in that line
in the western world..it's difficult as well for a man...I know a man that changed his surname in Italy... it took him 8years to get the new on his italian passport..he is a nigerian-italian...the had to check his criminal records and watch him for many years,to be sure he is not planning to commit a crime with the old name...for a man change of name is hell..it's only women that have it easy when they change their name due to marriage
That story Wowo abeg! undecided

Which kain 8-years before he could get his name changed on his passport? So did he have to go everywhere with a copy of his old driver's license that had his old name on it, while also holding on to the new, for that entire period or what?? undecided
Re: I Want To Take Off My Father's Name From My Names by rickpat(m): 8:13am On Jan 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
That story Wowo abeg! undecided

Which kain 8-years before he could get his name changed on his passport? So did he have to go everywhere with a copy of his old driver's license that had his old name on it, while also holding on to the new, for that entire period or what?? undecided
it's crazy...but very true...the Italian government had to watch him o

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Relocating Abroad Without Your Spouse Is Not Advisable-see How Temptation Is Aff / There Is A Serious Outbreak Of New Skin Sickness In Ankpa Kogi State / How My Dad Reacted When His Money Was Spent For My School Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.